Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I would have avoided the added content mods anyway, most modders who make those seem to be incapable of avoiding scope creep.

Hell, even in the SCS readme, the guy says "I made wolves and wild dogs less aggressive because they're not like that in real life". You're playing Baldur's Gate, man, settle down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

armoredgorilla posted:

I would have avoided the added content mods anyway, most modders who make those seem to be incapable of avoiding scope creep.

Hell, even in the SCS readme, the guy says "I made wolves and wild dogs less aggressive because they're not like that in real life". You're playing Baldur's Gate, man, settle down.

SCS is pretty much free of that poo poo, but yeah that made me smirk when I saw it first. I installed it, and it's actually pretty amusing how when dogs & wolves attack, they'll usually just run for it as soon as one of them gets injured.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Booo. Wolves of death that hound you all around the map are an essential part of the Baldur's Gate experience.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
For a mod that claims to increase difficulty, why would they remove the classic Dread Wolf ambush 2 seconds after Imoen joins your party?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Mzbundifund posted:

For a mod that claims to increase difficulty, why would they remove the classic Dread Wolf ambush 2 seconds after Imoen joins your party?

It makes bears as fast as wolves

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Levitate posted:

Aerie still bitching about her loving wings
Angry Aerie is rather amusing. Makes a contrast to the original version.

quote:

Haer'dalis: Aerie, my dove...are you well?
Aerie: I've... I've just been thinking. About all this death, all these horrifying things Irenicus has done. He actually stole a soul and... and all these people died for nothing... And for what? Some 'vengeance' that Irenicus wants! For that he throws people aside like mere objects?! I...I cannot believe that such evil is allowed to exist! Haer'dalis! We must scour the face of Faerun of such foulness! The very stink of it clogs my every breath! No mercy! No mercy must be shown to such evil!! And you, <CHARNAME>...I now see much of the same mark of evil in you. I will watch you carefully. You have earned my respect, but I will not tolerate the callousness I see in you any longer.
Haer'dalis: Aye, my love! 'Tis grand to see you transformed into a maiden of destruction! Turned from innocent chrysalis into entropic moth! I hail your arrival!
Aerie: I am not here to destroy, Haer'dalis! I want to stop Irenicus! I wish to fight against evil that exists in this world! I will not sit idly by and be pathetic! I have paid too much attention to my own sorrows and experiences...and not enough to the evil that has surrounded me!
Haer'dalis: Speak as you will, my love, but you serve entropy, nevertheless. Your innocence has faded, as it should, and you have become a maiden who shall bring the end of others...my philosophy proven!
Aerie: I don't care a whit for your philosophy, Haer'dalis! I am so full of anger that I cannot control it...and this callous evil that I see, it will pay!
Haer'dalis: As I said, my dove...and pleased I am to see it.
Aerie: Well, I am not pleased! And it is obvious that you do not really care for me, after all! We are through, you and I!
Haer'dalis: Again, a natural end that has come...no less than expected, though I'll mourn its passing.
Aerie: So be it! Come, then, <CHARNAME>...let us go and complete your quest. I shall fight by your side until this is over...and then I shall make my own way in the world for once.

PS: Bonus dialogue, where the PC shows how to deal with one's girlfriend getting knocked up:

quote:

Aerie: My love, have you had a chance to think about our little secret? My... condition?
PC: I have Aerie. There is much we need to discuss.
Aerie: This child will change our lives completely, my love. And the lives of those who would adventure with us on this quest you have undertaken.
PC: It won't change my life... I want nothing to do with this kid.
Aerie: <CHARNAME>! You would turn your back on your own flesh and blood? You would abandon me and our child?
PC: This isn't my problem... I'm not the one who's pregnant.
Aerie: You... you are a monster! A cruel, heartless monster! I can't stay here... I won't let my child be poisoned by your evil! I hope you burn in the Abyss, <CHARNAME>!

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Example of SCS: I'm at Ulcaster, and the mod beefed up Icharyd a bit. He can totally kill my whole lvl 4 party and I can only get him down to injured, maybe badly injured if I'm lucky. Immune to normal weapons, low AC (can barely hit him even with the two guys who can touch him) and he can hit my guys every round. Magic resistant. Oh and once you get him down to badly injured, he does some magic trick & goes back to full health and now he's got call lightning, too.

Solution: he's got a flail and he uses call lightning. I've got a potion of absortion, which is -10 to ac against crushing weapons (my AC is now -14) and 100% resistance to lightning. i can now solo him with my main dude.

I've probably never used a potion of absortion before, but now it was pretty much the only thing that won me the fight.

I love this game.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 19, 2014

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
That SCS wolf component only affects the regular wolf. (The grey 65XP one) The other types will still be aggressive and try to kill you.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Mzbundifund posted:

It's an optional component.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
I think of SCS as more of a fairness mod. It certainly makes things more difficult, but it does so in the ways that are open to the player. In fact there are some features that make the game easier. Like letting breach work on Liches and making demiliches 100% magic resistant instead of straight up immune to spells.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

MegaGatts posted:

I think of SCS as more of a fairness mod. It certainly makes things more difficult, but it does so in the ways that are open to the player. In fact there are some features that make the game easier. Like letting breach work on Liches and making demiliches 100% magic resistant instead of straight up immune to spells.

It does make some early fights in BG1 a frustrating pain in the rear end though, good luck taking down the Ogre Mage at Firewine Bridge without Remove Magic/Detect Illusion etc which you probably won't have learned/definitely won't have memorised at the point most people get there.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Smorgasbord posted:

It does make some early fights in BG1 a frustrating pain in the rear end though, good luck taking down the Ogre Mage at Firewine Bridge without Remove Magic/Detect Illusion etc which you probably won't have learned/definitely won't have memorised at the point most people get there.

It totally should not be used if it's your first play through, I agree. The spell system is extremely complicated and rushing into the game with an AI that's good at it would frustrate anybody,

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
From the Beamdog AMA on reddit:

"You said the BG2EE patch would go to beta. Now with all this time passing, haven't you changed your mind? Maybe it's better to release the patch as soon as your inner testing is over?"

"We've kept kicking the build back to development when we find showstopper bugs. We learned a big lesson in shipping a buggy BGII:EE and we are going to ensure a quality version of the game and it will take us some time to pull off."

I wonder what all the people who think they'll never release it will think if and when they actually do.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

BiggerJ posted:

From the Beamdog AMA on reddit:

"You said the BG2EE patch would go to beta. Now with all this time passing, haven't you changed your mind? Maybe it's better to release the patch as soon as your inner testing is over?"

"We've kept kicking the build back to development when we find showstopper bugs. We learned a big lesson in shipping a buggy BGII:EE and we are going to ensure a quality version of the game and it will take us some time to pull off."

I wonder what all the people who think they'll never release it will think if and when they actually do.

Haven't seen anyone saying that they will never patch BG2EE here. What I have seen though is people complaining about Beamdog leaving BG2EE in extremely buggy state for literally over a year now. Whoch I think is totally valid complaint, especially since Beamdog clearly prioritized Android BGEE over fixing what they had already released.

Zilkin fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 20, 2014

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I am 100% confident they will release it and don't get why, other than being a hater, one would actually believe otherwise.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Smorgasbord posted:

I tihnk it does a good job in emphasising the "stick to the path and you'll probably be fine, go wandering and you could be in over your head" message. Firewine is very much an optional area, and not one I tend to rush to. Usually the first "wilderness" areas to hit are the ones in the south-west of the map. Once you've done those and the Nashkel Mines your party starts feeling a bit more resilient.

Ogre Mages *should* gently caress you up if you're low level. Not every fight needs to be winnable by a party of low-level idiots. That was true in the base game and SCS just reinforces it.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

From that AMA: "I think our focus is changing from remastering older games to making new and original titles."

I'd be disappointed if they didn't do IWD2 and PST EEs before original games.
I'd also LOVE to see Fallout 1 and 2 enhanced. Those would be fantastic tablet games.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I was never saying they won't, just that their annihilated any good will by taking a year to do this

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

This is more or less my first BG2 EE playthrough. I started a character but I'm re-rolling now that I've had a little playtime (I got to some part where I had to fight a jailkeeper and his panther or something). I kept getting destroyed so I figured a fresh start won't hurt.

I'm starting a Bezerker, as I've read that's a good build for the first time. I also like melee combat so it works well for me.

I've been re-rolling and I got strength 18/13 with a total roll value of 92. Should I keep going for a better strength score?

Also, I play at home on my laptop and sometimes at work on another laptop. Can I just copy the save file from one to the other? If so, can someone tell me where to find it?

me your dad fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 20, 2014

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

18/13 is ok, +1 to hit and +3 to dmg, 18/90-99 is +2, +5 Eventually you will get items that will raise your strength to 19 or above, giving you +3 to hit and +7 damage. There is also a consumable item that will raise your strength by 1 later on in Baldur's Gate.

You should make a half-orc beserker and start with 19 strength, 18 dexterity and 19 constitution. After the tomes, you can have 20 str for an additional point of damage and 20 con which will let you regen 1 point of health per turn (10 rounds).

The save files are located here: C:\Users\username\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\save

Pivotal Lever fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 20, 2014

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

BadAstronaut posted:

I'd be disappointed if they didn't do IWD2 and PST EEs before original games.

I don't really think Torment needs one also surely inXile wouldn't want to be releasing the rights to it? Like I said earlier in the thread though IWD2 definitely does, I'd pick that up in a shot if they made it.

With IWD1 does anyone know if they stopped the "point of no return" stuff with the expansion content? I never got to visit the Luremaster keep because I left the expansion area without realising it wouldn't allow me to return.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pivotal Lever posted:

You should make a half-orc beserker and start with 19 strength, 18 dexterity and 19 constitution.
This means you miss out a ton of intraparty dialogue and content, though. You could always just change a human character's stats to be that high if you're going to scum rolls to get 90+ points anyway, it's the same odds in the end.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks for the info. I kept re-rolling and now I've got 18/89 Strength but a total roll of 75. I also went with Human.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Taear posted:

I don't really think Torment needs one

I would pay $20 to have PS:T on my tablet even in its exact current form.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
If you're determined to play a non-Half-Orc Berserker and you want a better overall roll, aim for the 18/51 break point. That's where you get another bonus to your THACO. You won't get another until a Strength of 19, which you can eventually get if you use the Tome of Strength on your guy. That will boost your strength all the way from the 18/51 to 19, give you something like an extra +1 to hit, +3 to damage?

Also, if you want to boost up Str/Dex/Con, you can just dump Wisdom and/or Charisma. I'd try to keep an Int of at least 11 for ... stuff. If you dump Cha, you're gonna want someone else to do the talking for you.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
BG2 is so full of powerful items that you don't really need to min/max your stats. If you want to powergame, gear and spells give you plenty of options.

Going for a human fighter for the first time is a good way to go. Also paladins and rangers are good, depeding what kind of a character you want. All three are melee classes, ranger and paladin just have a bit more flavour than fighter. My first character that I completed BG2 with was dual-wielding ranger (guess what books I was reading when BG2 came out, heh).

My favourite build though is a stalker. you got your fighter attacks per round & thaco and a backstab. Sneak behind your enemies, backstab one to chunks and then beat the poo poo outta the rest. Works like a charm.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 20, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There are no Tomes of Strength in BG2, there are however 3 different wearable items that increase your strength to 19 or higher on their own, so it's a moot point.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
not to mention a ton of spells that increase your strenght, or the tons of items and such that increase your damage. the game isn't really that hard, you can play it with any race & class combo and have fun. there's really no need to powergame on your first playthrough.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

BadAstronaut posted:

I would pay $20 to have PS:T on my tablet even in its exact current form.

I would pay $20 for IWD2, though I dont have a tablet.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Bort Bortles posted:

I would pay $20 for IWD2, though I dont have a tablet.

This is possible, and it's free and open source:

http://www.gemrb.org/wiki/doku.php?id=start

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Dyna Soar posted:

Holy poo poo this makes me want to jailbreak!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Pivotal Lever posted:

There is also a consumable item that will raise your strength by 1 later on in Baldur's Gate.

This is in BGI(EE or regular) only, but an interesting property of it is that if you have a non-warrior character with 18 strength, it takes you to 19, which is a HUGE jump. 18 Strength is +1 to hit and +2 damage, while 19 is +3 to hit and !+7! damage. I had a blade my last playthrough who had 18 strength and didn't know this, and gave the tome to another character. I got curious later and cheated in a tome for my blade. When his Str jumped to 19, I couldn't believe it. I'm almost certain that 2nd edition rules said that if you gave a Str tome to someone, they would go up one percentile bracket. So, 18/34 becomes 18/51, where the bonuses advance, and 18/99 would become 18/00 etc. I could be wrong/misremembering or maybe warrior-types with percentile strength do work that way in this game, but non-warrior types go from 18 straight to 19.

Huge upgrade

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dyna Soar posted:

Thank you, but, :effort:. I hate playing with that kind of poo poo. I want to spend my :20bux: and be able to play the game. Maybe I'm a weirdo, that fine.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

So, after years of telling myself I'd do it, I'm finally running all the way through the Baldur's Gate series. Bringing a Fighter 9/Totemic Druid X through with plans to eventually wield the Club of Detonation because that weapon is hilarious and I've never used it much.

I haven't touched BG1 in years, but after some waffling I've decided I want to add SCS for the BG2/ToB portion of my BGT run since I've been through it half a dozen times. I've already hit Cloakwood, can I safely install the BG2 portions of SCS without ruining my game? I've never modded a run halfway through, don't wanna lose anything.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

This is in BGI(EE or regular) only, but an interesting property of it is that if you have a non-warrior character with 18 strength, it takes you to 19, which is a HUGE jump. 18 Strength is +1 to hit and +2 damage, while 19 is +3 to hit and !+7! damage. I had a blade my last playthrough who had 18 strength and didn't know this, and gave the tome to another character. I got curious later and cheated in a tome for my blade. When his Str jumped to 19, I couldn't believe it. I'm almost certain that 2nd edition rules said that if you gave a Str tome to someone, they would go up one percentile bracket. So, 18/34 becomes 18/51, where the bonuses advance, and 18/99 would become 18/00 etc. I could be wrong/misremembering or maybe warrior-types with percentile strength do work that way in this game, but non-warrior types go from 18 straight to 19.

Huge upgrade

I'd have to dig out my AD&D DMG to be 100% certain, but I believe the Tome of Gainful Exercise just gave a straight point. I believe it was the Wish spell that only added 10% per use - and as it aged you 5 years per casting, you really didn't want to go overboard.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
I know that Drizzt can be a dick to you but I never wound up with this exact dialogue path before, because I'm usually just Good or Evil, not both. I ran into him after leaving the Underdark and he whined about the fact that I killed him in BG1; I told him that maybe doing so was in error; he asked if I truly fight for the cause of good; I said I wouldn't make that claim (which is accurate because I am directly between murdering a silver dragon and heading off to make a suit of human flesh using its blood); he decided that I should get on my knees and beg forgiveness. I told him sorry for killing him but that he could gently caress right off with that request. (Naturally I'm going to kill him again later.) Elminister picked that exact moment to show up and ramble at Jaheira too.

Anyway, my main question: has anyone here successfully run Ascension with BG2:EE? I understand you're supposed to use the Big World installer and only install the Ascension component? I'm breaking the game over my knee this time around and there is absolutely no challenge, so I'd really like to have that difficult Ascension boss fight that I remember from so long ago. I just don't want to ruin my install in the process.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Taliesyn posted:

I'd have to dig out my AD&D DMG to be 100% certain, but I believe the Tome of Gainful Exercise just gave a straight point. I believe it was the Wish spell that only added 10% per use - and as it aged you 5 years per casting, you really didn't want to go overboard.

Yep, correct. Wishes and 'wish-like powers' up you by a point until you hit 16. After that, they raise you by 10% of a point each time. A mage with Dex 17 has to take 10 Wishes to get to 18. A fighter with a strength secure of basic 18 (no percentage) needs 11 wishes to get to 19 because you have to go through 18/(1)00 as well. Except that magical items and the intervention of greater powers skip all this tedious poo poo and always give you a flat point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Yep, correct. Wishes and 'wish-like powers' up you by a point until you hit 16. After that, they raise you by 10% of a point each time. A mage with Dex 17 has to take 10 Wishes to get to 18. A fighter with a strength secure of basic 18 (no percentage) needs 11 wishes to get to 19 because you have to go through 18/(1)00 as well. Except that magical items and the intervention of greater powers skip all this tedious poo poo and always give you a flat point.

It's really weird to think about the things early game designers were worried about being broken, and the things they didn't even consider.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Skwirl posted:

It's really weird to think about the things early game designers were worried about being broken, and the things they didn't even consider.

Well, to be fair, stats from 20-25 really were hilariously broken. Even some of the 19s were really, really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Well when giants, like two to four times the size of a human have strengths in the 19-22 you realise how silly the stats you can easily reach in BG are. I think 19 is already like tip over a car singlehandedly kind of strength, with 25 being near godly bodyslam a whale kind of strength.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Nov 21, 2014