Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

CJacobs posted:

If you pick up the holy mantle you get a free hit per room and any items that block shots can do so without hurting The Lost any. Other than that though you just gotta get good at dodging.

Also, if you really wanna stretch your bucks with it, if you save/quit after getting hit with the holy mantle, it'll be reactivated when you continue so you can just try that room again. Now that The Lost doesn't get killed when you continue your game you can basically retry infinitely as long as you don't take two hits in a row.

True, but that requires finding the Holy Mantle in the first place, a task which I haven't accomplished yet. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008
Number One and Dr Fetus is an interesting combination. Interesting as in if you use the rapid fire the bombs start getting blown back in your face. I had a great game where I had this as Samson, I was taking shitloads of self-inflicted damage, but the game was also giving me shitloads of health and everytime I knocked myself up the bombs got stronger.

Then I get Ipecac and Cancer, so now I have super strong super fast firing bombs and for some reason, maybe a bug, they would no longer damage me. So I'd enter a room spam bombs everywhere, get bounced around like a ping pong ball by the explosions and everything else would die in the apocalypse. It was an insane run, I also had prayer card, holy mantle, more eternal hearts that I knew what to do with. Like I'd have 12 red hearts, an eternal heart, a charged prayer card, then I walk into the angel room and there's two more eternal hearts.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I complete the Glass Cannon challenge and decide to start beating the rest of the characters on Hard, starting with Azazel. What's in the first item room? Epic Fetus, of course! I really hope I get Pyromaniac and some health ups.

edit: hahah, the Mark in the devil room. :allears:

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 19, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

a bloody icon posted:

You guys weren't kidding when you said Dr. Fetus got seriously nerfed, even with triple shot it was a chore. Then I got hit with a tears down pill and couldn't even fire fast enough to kill globins.

If you have enough damage it's seriously OP. I was taking down bosses in 1-4 bombs.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
I have the Knife, what will happen if I pick up Tech2? I'm on my Azazel run to unlock the Lost so I really don't want to screw this up.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I'm doing head trauma challenge. Does soymilk override everything else? Will my damage always be minimum? I just got juice and these dots don't look any larger or the radius any larger so I don't know.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Man people who hate Eve are crazy. Getting to start with like four pips of damage is amazing

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It's a little odd how the flashing red spiders can burrow through rocks. Why are they the only ones that can do that?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Their hitbox is small enough that they can squeeze through like the 2 pixel wide space between rocks. Other enemies can also do that but the spiders are almost the only ones that move fast enough to make it before the game shoves them out the other side. gently caress spiders in this game, they all suck. All of them.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

TheModernAmerican posted:

I have the Knife, what will happen if I pick up Tech2? I'm on my Azazel run to unlock the Lost so I really don't want to screw this up.

It'll override the Knife unfortunately. Generally items that change how you fire(Knife, Fetuses, Brimstone, Technology ect.) don't stack with each other.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

RatHat posted:

It'll override the Knife unfortunately. Generally items that change how you fire(Knife, Fetuses, Brimstone, Technology ect.) don't stack with each other.

Brimstone+Knife makes you spew a flurry of knives. Some stuff stacks

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

RatHat posted:

Thanks for the info. I figured, but sometimes things add effects. Like ipecac making lasers poison, stuff like that.

In other news I threw away an incredible Azazel run and didn't even get the Lost. I think I'm done for a while. :smith:

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Welp, killed me some angels and got both pieces of the key. Fighting Super Stan was insane. Was able to take him out but it was by the skin of my teeth.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Magres posted:

Brimstone stacks with the scythes as well, if I'm remembering right. Brimstone is the best.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Magres posted:

Yeah that's why I said generally. There are exceptions.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I don't get how the multiplier cards (two of clubs, etc.) are supposed to work. Do I use them after items I want duplicates of appear, before items appear in a room, or what?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I just got to the dark room for the first time and beat The Lamb without even getting hit as ???. He was disappointingly easy compared to regular Satan.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Rollersnake posted:

I don't get how the multiplier cards (two of clubs, etc.) are supposed to work. Do I use them after items I want duplicates of appear, before items appear in a room, or what?

If you have no bombs and you use a two of clubs it will give you two bombs. If you have any bombs it will double them. That is, you will have double the number you used to have. Not bombs on the floor. Not future bombs. Not bombs that you use that turn into siamese double bombs or anything. If you had 10 bombs and use the card you now have 20 bombs in your inventory.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I don't know if anyone's noticed this, but on "cat's got your tongue" shooting enemies with the bullets of familiars appears to produce guppy flies. Made the run a lot more tolerable.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I don't remember, can you exit the Cathedral boss room after killing Isaac? I duplicated a Chaos Card with Jera and I'll use one on him if I can go bac and get the other.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

Rollersnake posted:

They double the number of key/coins/bombs you already have (or if you don't have any, they give you two).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Genocyber posted:

I don't remember, can you exit the Cathedral boss room after killing Isaac? I duplicated a Chaos Card with Jera and I'll use one on him if I can go bac and get the other.

Pretty sure you can. I think the only boss rooms you can't exit are Mom and Mom's Heart.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You can leave. Though for real, ??? is by far the easiest of the end game bosses. It Lives and maybe even Mom are harder than ???.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Well, I've finally gotten a run so good that I can't imagine losing to anything at this point. Depths I, and I'm already more powerful than I was every time I've gotten to the Womb. The only thing that could make this better is if I could fly. My last game I got Headless Horse for the first time, and that was amazing.

(I can't wait to see how I gently caress this up.)

Edit: Oh gently caress me, I thought chocolate milk + technology was supposed to have been GOOD?

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 19, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Rebirth: I can't wait to see how I gently caress this up.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

Well, I've finally gotten a run so good that I can't imagine losing to anything at this point. Depths I, and I'm already more powerful than I was every time I've gotten to the Womb. The only thing that could make this better is if I could fly. My last game I got Headless Horse for the first time, and that was amazing.

(I can't wait to see how I gently caress this up.)

Edit: Oh gently caress me, I thought chocolate milk + technology was supposed to have been GOOD?

You're thinking of Soy Milk I think. That maxes your fire rate, making Technology a constant beam with no pause. Chocolate Milk allows you to charge your tears for more damage.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

You can leave. Though for real, ??? is by far the easiest of the end game bosses. It Lives and maybe even Mom are harder than ???.

Yeah, but being able to kill them instantly is quite nice.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Crotch Bat posted:

Stopwatch is absolutely ridiculous. I'll be shocked if I ever lose a run where I get that in the shop.

Quick jumps (fatty), ground effects (cage jumps), and brimstone (adversary) are not affected.

I got a quad fatty room in the Dark Room once. :v:

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012
Oh my god, the game just deleted my save file somehow. Has anybody else had this problem?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Manatee Cannon posted:

You're thinking of Soy Milk I think. That maxes your fire rate, making Technology a constant beam with no pause. Chocolate Milk allows you to charge your tears for more damage.

Chocolate Milk also lets you rapid fire regardless of how many firing rate power ups you pick up. Which was none, it turns out.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I tried finishing up the original game and go for the no damage achievements. I managed to get Dark Boy, but I missed out on Spelunker and Mama's Boy thanks to Greed. :argh:. Any tips for clearing those?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Dr. Fetus posted:

I tried finishing up the original game and go for the no damage achievements. I managed to get Dark Boy, but I missed out on Spelunker and Mama's Boy thanks to Greed. :argh:. Any tips for clearing those?

Azazel on normal until you get ludo/holy mantle, laugh your way through it.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I highly suggest finding Tammy's Head on the Suicide King challenge. :razz:

I'm having the worst luck with the Lemon challenge, no tears up, all flying bosses, and dying to some random enemy while fighting mom.

Also getting Anti-gravity tears as Azazel is something else.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

loving christ I hate ludovico. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if mouse controls worked like the original :saddowns:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

How the gently caress do you do Cat Got Your Tongue? I can't swing this stupid hairball without bumping into enemies every single time.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Well, I just had my first successful Lost run - I died to Gurdy Jr. in Caves 2 but I got an Ankh in the Caves 1 treasure room and unlocked Dead Baby with a ??? run that cleared the chest on hard :v:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Has anyone figured out definitively if you lose shop upgrades by bombing the donation machine to below the threshold of the upgrade?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

drunken officeparty posted:

Has anyone figured out definitively if you lose shop upgrades by bombing the donation machine to below the threshold of the upgrade?

The unlocks stay forever, I know this because I over donated and my machine reset to 0, yet I can still buy the stop watch and other unlocked shop items.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

drunken officeparty posted:

Once they're unlocked, they stay unlocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
God drat Head Trauma is painful. I got brimstone and you'd think that would make things easy, but it still takes forever since you have poo poo damage. It took me a solid minute of blasting Gish to finally kill him. I thought Mom would be awful but I got Tammy's head right before I fought her. It created a blender of lasers and this did enough damage to one shot mom despite getting literally zero damage upgrades.