Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

With a targeted MITM, yes, I can. Also lol at relying on the authenticity of DNS records. That's going to work real well.

the eff and their partners are smart enough to try and make a targeted mitm quite difficult. (they have to be, or else this effort is pointless)

as for dns records, if those are broken globally, certs don't matter. if i can control the A record for citibank.com, i can just serve http plaintext and not bother with any ssl fuckery

lastly, the eff also runs the ssl observatory. i assume they will blacklist automatic issue for a shitload of domains that have verisign or whatever reputable certs they see in the wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

change is intrinsically bad

you need an extraordinarily good reason to force change on users
Technicians arent users lol

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Salt Fish posted:

"Some youtube guy" okay, you're really showing off your credentials with that one.

slef signed certs are poo poo. im a famous computer man, so now u can believe me.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
keep loving that chicken self-signed ssl stymie

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Keep loving cleartext guys, I just donated 250 dollars to the EFF so I could get one of their sweet hoodies (choose between 2XL and 3XL lol) so gently caress ya'll and gently caress the NSA bring back LF I'm out

pram
Jun 10, 2001

pram posted:

youre moving the loving goal posts and pretending everyone said 'SSL IS BAD'

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Keep loving cleartext guys, I just donated 250 dollars to the EFF so I could get one of their sweet hoodies (choose between 2XL and 3XL lol) so gently caress ya'll and gently caress the NSA bring back LF I'm out

The real world threat model solved by TLS is "I just gave my user name and password to my bank over this random unsecured WiFi I found." and the idiocy you're advocating makes everything worse.

oh, and reminder: EFF examined them on seven factors, like whether the message is encrypted both in-transit and at the provider level, and if the code is audited and open to independent review. Six of these tools scored all seven stars, including ChatSecure, CryptoCat, Signal/Redphone, Silent Phone, Silent Text, and TextSecure

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 19, 2014

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah, i am inflexible

and i am the actual target for the linux desktop. someone who uses linux desktop software every single day and occasionally contributes bug reports and patches

i am not the proverbial "aunt tillie" or a teenage dabbler who installs it long enough to take screenshots. i am an actual living, breathing user and i want my poo poo to not be broken

so you really think there's absolutely no market for a free, user-friendly desktop? its beards or nothing?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ok how do i turn on focus follows mouse in gnome 3?

lollll

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol you couldn't teach it to wash itsefl, so you just chucked out the baby with the bathwater

again, not before everyone else did. again, it sucked, its design sucked, and it never worked well. nobody misses it.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i was going to bitch but i just opened nautilus 3.14 and it is less broken now. not having a treeview still sucks but at least it is not fundamentally unusable

a low bar to clear: it's not completely, totally useless

actually its fine i haven't ever thought "boy i wish i had a treeview"

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you made it non-discoverable AND hid all the features AND you're proud of it

great work, guys

you can shut the project down, now. there's nothing left to be removed or hidden from users. not even the text editor is usable

do your applications all look like those ham radio UIs where every possible thing you could ever do in the world is a button on the main window

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Salt Fish posted:

What's the use case for a self-signed cert? I'm curious here.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Salt Fish posted:

im the complete lack of comprehension

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

oval office AND PASTE posted:

so you really think there's absolutely no market for a free, user-friendly desktop? its beards or nothing?

yes and yes

(especially if we mean a literal market, as in dollars changing hands. it's only beardlords and scientists buying red hat licenses)

edit for clarity:
  • there is no market whatsoever for a free, "user-friendly" desktop. especially if "user-friendly" is defined as "whatever the gently caress gnome 3 is doing."

• yes, it is in fact beards or nothing. actual living linux desktop users who use the product are, to a first approximation, entirely technical users: sysadmins, software developers, scientists

again, not before everyone else did. again, it sucked, its design sucked, and it never worked well. nobody misses it.

it did not suck and i do miss it

btw expose-clones are the worst, because all of my windows are editors full of text, web browsers full of text, or command lines full of text. there is no way to usefully distinguish them using a thumbnail

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 19, 2014

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

all computers come with a free, user-friendly desktop, and tablets are killing laptops like laptops killed desktops

pram
Jun 10, 2001
christ can we keep the thread on topic guys and not derail it with this desktop poo poo

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

What's the use case for a self-signed cert? I'm curious here.

The youtube video that crypto stymie keeps referencing is basically "gently caress the NSA", and it completely ignores the possibility that people might impersonate your bank using self-signed certs to steal your credentials.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

btw expose-clones are the worst, because all of my windows are editors full of text, web browsers full of text, or command lines full of text. there is no way to usefully distinguish them using a thumbnail

"i don't actually use graphical environments but let me tell you why your graphical environment is terrible"

why are you even talking

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yes and yes

(especially if we mean a literal market, as in dollars changing hands. it's only beardlords and scientists buying red hat licenses)

edit for clarity:
  • there is no market whatsoever for a free, "user-friendly" desktop. especially if "user-friendly" is defined as "whatever the gently caress gnome 3 is doing."

• yes, it is in fact beards or nothing. actual living linux desktop users who use the product are, to a first approximation, entirely technical users: sysadmins, software developers, scientists

it did not suck and i do miss it

lol if u think scientists have any loving idea how to use a computer

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

my imac (running apple macintosh operating system 10.10 yosemite) came with two hard drives

sane but retinal imac and 10.10.1 and one ssd only

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

so you really think there's absolut

hes right no one else will ever use desktop lunix

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

you know someone is a cool guy when they tell you how much they donated

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

"i don't actually use graphical environments but let me tell you why your graphical environment is terrible"

why are you even talking

windows, icons, menus, pointers

it's all there, chief

pram
Jun 10, 2001
unstoppable sperg meets immovable sperg

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Not reading thread. I'm guessing there was serious discussion. It would have to be off topic because desktop Linux is a joke.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
we were discussing osx 10.10.1

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the most advanced operating system

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

the most advanced operating system

for clowns to use

at the mach circus

detroit
Nov 11, 2009

truly, a perfect consumer desktop environment

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

detroit posted:

nice 1 Gazza

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Exposé is really cool and good and readable on my 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display. Well that's my story hope you liked it.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
agreed sulk

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

theadder posted:

sane but retinal imac and 10.10.1 and one ssd only

i have a thing that would be called a retina macbook air if it had a huge glowing apple logo on the back it suits my needs very well

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lmfao ian jackson bailed

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

detroit posted:

Buttt Moooommmmm, I'm re-theming ubuntu right now.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Captain Foo posted:

lmfao ian jackson bailed

RIP

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

ian jackson's the sperglord of sysV mountain, a terrifying choose your own adventure book

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sniep posted:

well, a good use of self signed in the wild is intranet/corp poo poo where they run a CA and push the root to alt heir machines like i said earlier. but that's about it.

but i digress heavily

that's not self signed tho. self signed is a certificate with no signer (other than itself). the only somewhat legitimate use of a self signed cert is out of the box/unprovisioned device configurations.

even if ur testing you should be able to request a legit cert from your internal ca instead of generating your own. theres no reason you should have self signed certs.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also dnssec seems really stupid, but maybe I don't understand it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

also dnssec seems really stupid, but maybe I don't understand it.

shocker

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

even if ur testing you should be able to request a legit cert from your internal ca instead of generating your own. theres no reason you should have self signed certs.

this is right, and if you don't have an internal ca, make one and secure your job

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
who owns the signing keys in dnssec and how is trust established + how are domain owners validated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

who owns the signing keys in dnssec and how is trust established + how are domain owners validated?

dns is hierarchical. you have to trust the dns roots' keys. roots sign the records below them

you don't validate domain owners. dnssec exists to make sure your dns isn't being spoofed by a malicious AP or something