Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Play Shiek, YX, X, win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

Play Shiek, YX, X, win.

Real talk, its hosed up if you don't use the Zelda controls.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

mabels big day posted:

I dunno I've been playing Dynasty Warriors games for like 13 years with the same exact control scheme and every other Zelda switches up the control scheme sooooo

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Kaubocks posted:

Play Shiek, YX, X, win.

Sheik is pretty boring to play though. I would only follow this advice if you're having difficulty with something.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Count Uvula posted:

Sheik is pretty boring to play though. I would only follow this advice if you're having difficulty with something.

Counterpoint: Sheik is awesome to play and has a dozen attacks and they are all useful

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
It's boring throwing down glowing cardboard then busting moves on stalchild asses. Also boring to drop meteors on people. Also, uh, playing a harp?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Kaboobi posted:

I dunno I've been playing Dynasty Warriors games for like 13 years with the same exact control scheme and every other Zelda switches up the control scheme sooooo

B has been attack and A has been dodge in every 3D Zelda game

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I'm used to hitting Y and X in Hyrule Warriors, no way am I changing now :colbert:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Yeah, I can't change from the Warriors control scheme anymore. poo poo, even switching to and from Bayonetta 2 messes with me something fierce, I don't need to make it WORSE.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I was surprised when I played Warrior Orochi 3 and Dynasty Warriors 8 to find out they don't have the lockon like this game. Like that feature too, as it makes it easier to find out how who to kill when the room is full of mooks.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

mabels big day posted:

Yeah I guess if you're a scrub who's never played a Dynasty Warriors game before.

Warriors control scheme 4 lyfe.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Count Uvula posted:

Sheik attacks quickly and dodges really well, plus she cannot be attacked when doing her X moves. What more could you want? gently caress other characters (like Ganon) who can be attacked.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

BleiddWhitefalcon posted:

So I just grabbed this game. What basic things should I know that the game doesn't explain? (there's always something. ALWAYS) And any good tips and/or tricks would be appreciated as well. Thanks much!

If you're feeling bored with the combo variety, remember that you'll unlock more as you craft badges for each character.

Fighting officers and bosses often revolves around depleting their weak point meters for highly damaging bonus attacks. With most enemies, you'll have to wait for them to use a move you can exploit, but you can actually force them to reveal their weak point with a Focus Spirit Attack. You do this by first activating your magic meter (the green meter, not the yellow meter), then pressing A to end the state early with a unique special attack. Bosses caught in this should reveal their weak point, which really helps out especially when Dodongo just doesn't want to do its breath attack.

Also if you dodge and keep holding the button, you'll go straight into a dash.

All of this stuff is in the manual I think, but it's worth mentioning. :)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

AccountingNightmare posted:

All of this stuff is in the manual I think, but it's worth mentioning. :)

Is any of the information about people's specialities in there? I feel like it isn't because until this thread I didn't have a loving clue what the notes under Sheik's name meant. Hell with most of them I still don't have a clue, like Zant's power bar or Zelda's little balls.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

The Zelda games I played the most were on the N64 where the B/A (attack/dodge) placement is the same as Y/B on the Wii U so...

Oh also by the way ZANT'S LEVEL THREE WEAPON MISSION IS loving IMPOSSIBLE someone please help Ganondorf has died like three times because he's goddamn incompetent for some reason

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

The Zelda games I played the most were on the N64 where the B/A (attack/dodge) placement is the same as Y/B on the Wii U so...

Oh also by the way ZANT'S LEVEL THREE WEAPON MISSION IS loving IMPOSSIBLE someone please help Ganondorf has died like three times because he's goddamn incompetent for some reason

This is the one level I didn't bother trying to do on my own and just got a friend to help me co-op it.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Taear posted:

Is any of the information about people's specialities in there? I feel like it isn't because until this thread I didn't have a loving clue what the notes under Sheik's name meant. Hell with most of them I still don't have a clue, like Zant's power bar or Zelda's little balls.

No, it doesn't look like there's any character-specific info.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

AccountingNightmare posted:

No, it doesn't look like there's any character-specific info.

That's really, really stupid.

And I wish I knew people who were good at the game because getting in friends to help with most levels isn't much good since they take too much damage.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

He's not incompetent, he just has to deal with like 5 powered up fiery aerolfos or some poo poo. Also there's really no advice that can be given for Zant's level 3. Just outlevel it and pray to whatever higher power you believe in that things will go right. Also leave about 10 minutes to fight Ghirahim because Zant's single target damage is complete garbage.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm level 53 with a five-star tier 2 weapon but Zant's damage output is so terrible I can't keep up. The one time I was remotely close was when I was fighting Ghirahim after I already ran out of time to A-rank but Ganondorf STILL died to something I honestly don't even know what. I made it a loving point to double back and kill the fiery whatever that spawns after you beat all the captains and he had nobody on his rear end he just loving keeled over from old age or something. :argh:

gently caress you ganondorf

gently caress you zant you piece of trash

I'd still use you over Agitha though

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The best chance of beating it is to leave Ganondorf for the last of your objectives. Get everything else done first and then go kill Sheik and the guys bothering Dorfy. What you need to happen is that he goes into Danger and then you rescue him to full health immediately before you go fight Girahim. If you manage that, you will be able to beat it without him dying.

Then you just have to figure out how to do all that in a timely manner which is down to being strong enough, and being lucky. I think I did it around 57-58.

It's the most bullshit level in the game.

E: Also god help me I've been going after the heart containers and killing 1,000 enemies with Agitha is hell. You don't even need to A-Rank that thing to get it but I still can't do it in time. My closest attempt I had 970 by the end. Any tips for this?

Smash Bros and the Twilight DLC can't get here soon enough.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 19, 2014

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Well there, I've done it. I'm ready for the Twilight DLC. Every Skulltella grabbed, every mission A'd and ever heart container contained (master quest and normal adventure). I was having a bitch of a time getting Cia's heart piece from the "kill 1000 dudes" level until I realized her C2 completely WRECKS the small dudes. It took me multiple tries just to clear it with her without using it, let a lone get a A. Then bam, I stopped being dumb and finished it in just over 5 min.

I guess I actually still have the boss rush to A, but that's more of a slot machine than a challenge. If the bosses all decided to B-line for you right at the start it becomes a nightmare, and if the Imprisoned and Ganon get to close and decided to both do AOEs then it's unlikely you'll be dodging everything. I've found Wizro is really good at knocking out the bosses weak meters in one go, but ugh does a lot of poo poo happen that can gently caress it all up. Also, even though a lot of his attacks are bullshit I would be totally fine with the Imprisoned if it weren't for the fact that he is the only boss that can't be broken in one knockdown. That is such bullshit.

I'm really disappointed at how Impa turned out. Shes a really cool character and fun to play as, but there really aren't many missions that need her and usually someone else works better for whatever needs doing when given the choice of characters. That or someone else is needed for one collectible or another.

This has be by far the most fun I've had with a Warriors game. Usually I get frustrated once they start getting into bullshit difficulty, but the way adventure mode is broken up I found it pretty easy just to move on to something else and come back to what ever level was giving me trouble. The only master quest levels that I didn't like where the "don't get hit" levels that were normal capture point levels. Though I didn't notice the kill count doesn't matter until I cleared them, so whoopy for that.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah I guess if you're a scrub who's never played a Dynasty Warriors game before.

Warriors control scheme 4 lyfe.

yeah im gonna play some game teaching me about chinese history. no thanks, professor.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Regy Rusty posted:

E: Also god help me I've been going after the heart containers and killing 1,000 enemies with Agitha is hell. You don't even need to A-Rank that thing to get it but I still can't do it in time. My closest attempt I had 970 by the end. Any tips for this?

Ignore everything but the mooks and crash your butterfly/use Special into large groups. Get a weapon with Strong Attack+ and One Hit Kill. Hope the Imprisoned leave you alone. gl hf :downs:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Taear posted:

Hell with most of them I still don't have a clue, like Zant's power bar or Zelda's little balls.

Whenever you use a charge attack with Zant, you can repeatedly press the button, which causes him to keep doing it, and every press fills up that meter. If you keep pressing the button after the meter is full, he'll screw up and become stunned for a moment, and the meter will empty.

If you stop pressing the button once the meter is full, then you can press the Strong Attack button, after which you have two choices: mashing down the regular attack button causes him to spin in a whirlwind with his blades out, mashing down the strong attack button causes him to shoot projectiles, for as long as the meter lasts.

Zelda's deal is that the little balls power up her charge attacks. You can get the balls by pressing the strong attack button, or by doing a complete combo string of regular attacks on an enemy.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

mabels big day posted:

yeah im gonna play some game teaching me about chinese history. no thanks, professor.

I can't tell if you're joking. But it's VERY fantastical, lots of crazy, lots of weapon styles, you really would probably enjoy it. Even better(?), 8 Complete is on PC if you so choose.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands

Kaubocks posted:

Bet you're really looking forward to getting the second skulltula on this mission, where Zant is allowed to lose half as much health, 'cause let me tell ya, that is FUUUUUUUUN poo poo.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Does anyone know offhand if there are any "rack up KOs" missions featuring Aeralfos? I need some silver drops from them and those missions are the best way.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

Regy Rusty posted:

Smash Bros and the Twilight DLC can't get here soon enough.

For me I found the easiest way was to spam YYX and just keep dropping beetles everywhere. You can dodge cancel out before the beetle even falls so you can have a couple going at one time. The animation has two hits to it so it also does a good job of keeping the captains off your back.

Free Drinks fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 19, 2014

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

SuperHappy posted:

Bet you're really looking forward to getting the second skulltula on this mission, where Zant is allowed to lose half as much health, 'cause let me tell ya, that is FUUUUUUUUN poo poo.

Lucky for me I don't give two shits about skulltulas. :smug:

I mean in pretty much any other game I would but there is just SO MUCH TO DO in this game (I've barely touched the Master Quest map and the Twilight Princess map is out soon!) that if I DID care about heart pieces and skulltulas I would literally never finish this game.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Does anyone know offhand if there are any "rack up KOs" missions featuring Aeralfos? I need some silver drops from them and those missions are the best way.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3668508&pagenumber=82&perpage=40#post437359142

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Whenever you use a charge attack with Zant, you can repeatedly press the button, which causes him to keep doing it, and every press fills up that meter. If you keep pressing the button after the meter is full, he'll screw up and become stunned for a moment, and the meter will empty.

If you stop pressing the button once the meter is full, then you can press the Strong Attack button, after which you have two choices: mashing down the regular attack button causes him to spin in a whirlwind with his blades out, mashing down the strong attack button causes him to shoot projectiles, for as long as the meter lasts.

Zelda's deal is that the little balls power up her charge attacks. You can get the balls by pressing the strong attack button, or by doing a complete combo string of regular attacks on an enemy.

To clarify about Zant, you want to press strong attack until just before the meter is full, because then his last attack will fill it. Then go ahead and hit strong attack and turn into a crazy tornado.

Zant's stomping attack owns, but he isn't very good otherwise. He can take keeps really easily but he is horrible at weak point smashes on anyone. loving Zant is such a joke.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Bloodly posted:

I can't tell if you're joking. But it's VERY fantastical, lots of crazy, lots of weapon styles, you really would probably enjoy it. Even better(?), 8 Complete is on PC if you so choose.

Dynasty Warriors 8 was cool, and definitely not realistic or anything, but sometimes the between-mission summaries of events felt a little bit like learning. Almost like a Powerpoint slide, with arrows on a map of ancient China, showing troop movements and nothing but text on screen describing vaguely-historical events...

But then the mission would start and I'd shoot ice at a thousand dudes at once and everything was awesome again

But I assume they were joking, anyway

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Aaaargh, I just did some grinding for Darunia's materials (my first time grinding in this game except for a few bouts into the rewards map), and I unlocked his level 3 Goron Tunic badge only to discover that his level 3 hammer mission isn't one where the defense badge works. I did get one of the badges that helps clear keeps faster, which will help me zip through those keeps at the bottom quicker, but I'm not running into any problems with time, I just keep getting damaged a bit too much by the loving moblin hordes when I accidentally enter the wrong combo.

After that, I just have the gate level 3, Agitha's 3, and then somehow I have to beat H-3 (top row, third from the left) to get access to the rest of the weapons. Oddly enough, I think that last thing is going to be the hardest.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

He can take keeps really easily but he is horrible at weak point smashes on anyone.

Against non-giant bosses, Zant is actually really good at weak point smashes. I can't recall anyone recovering out of YX spam Y; it comes out quick and they pop up low to the ground so there's no real timing to the follow up Y attacks, just keep hitting it until the smash happens. His actual smash attack isn't the best, but he shouldn't have any problems getting it off in one go.

Llednar Twem
Jan 5, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

I'm level 53 with a five-star tier 2 weapon but Zant's damage output is so terrible I can't keep up. The one time I was remotely close was when I was fighting Ghirahim after I already ran out of time to A-rank but Ganondorf STILL died to something I honestly don't even know what. I made it a loving point to double back and kill the fiery whatever that spawns after you beat all the captains and he had nobody on his rear end he just loving keeled over from old age or something. :argh:

gently caress you ganondorf

gently caress you zant you piece of trash

I'd still use you over Agitha though

In addition to what others have said, if you're still having problems with damage output, try running levels with a special boosting mixture until you get something with compatriot to throw on your five star weapon. Zant is so good at taking keeps that you can, right as the mission starts, make a full circuit of the open ones before anything is in any real danger. The damage bonus from doing this is pretty huge, and a lot of enemy mooks will get tangled up for a while taking them back.

Regy Rusty posted:

Max out her zora's tunic badge so that ignoring officers and the imprisoned doesn't just get you killed. Throw beetles with C5 forever. Maybe summon one with C3 instead if the situation really calls for it, but I found that even if you can dash cancle out of it, the beetle itself just takes too long to appear and by then the enemies have moved. One big thing is to try to stay on one side as long as you can justify it. Reinforcements come at specific kill benchmarks, so the more you can build up before switching sides, the faster you can mow them down with a beetle charge when you do.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Haha.

The top left corner of the regular map is a KO 1000 enemies with 3 The Imprisoned spawning through the stage.

Haha.

The Master Quest variant has 4 The Imprisoned.

:suicide:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Reoxygenation posted:

Haha.

The top left corner of the regular map is a KO 1000 enemies with 3 The Imprisoned spawning through the stage.

Haha.

The Master Quest variant has 4 The Imprisoned.

:suicide:

The Master Quest variant is a joke because you get the prize for doing it with Cia, who makes it absolutely effortless to A-Rank. I plan on just using her to A-Rank the regular version eventually if I decide to go for A-Rank clean ups after I get all the heart containers.

Beating the regular one with Agitha is the hard part. (I haven't tried it again since posting about it earlier, but thanks for all the tips, guys.)

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 20, 2014

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
I'm poo poo with Cia how do you do it. Help.

I beat the regular one with Agitha but that didn't involve A-Ranking it :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BY all day every day. You'll beat it in less than half the time.

• Locked thread