Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

once i worked on both in the same application. (pls do not ask about that)

Please tell me about it.

I also want to get the gently caress out of Ruby and pick up some Java or C# but it seems like an entirely different world. I'd contribute to an open source project, but everything on Github for Java seems to be either Android garbage or something like Elasticsearch which has a million lines of code and I have no clue where to start. Basically I am really astoundingly bad at jumping into and working on projects that are not work related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

triple sulk posted:

Please tell me about it.

I also want to get the gently caress out of Ruby and pick up some Java or C# but it seems like an entirely different world. I'd contribute to an open source project, but everything on Github for Java seems to be either Android garbage or something like Elasticsearch which has a million lines of code and I have no clue where to start. Basically I am really astoundingly bad at jumping into and working on projects that are not work related.

oh so you require monetary motivation

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
doing what you love for a living is a great way to make you hate what you used to love

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
it is unbelievable to me that i used to write code for fun, much less contribute to open source, after work.

nowadays the only time i write any fun stuff for myself is when i am between jobs or on an extended vacation

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

triple sulk posted:

Please tell me about it.
no

triple sulk posted:

start with something that you have domain expertise in

you have written shitloads of bad webapps, so why not look at a java web thing

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
write a confluence plugin to replace all "m"s with "rn"s

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
make a java web app that gives pug breeders a centralized place to sell their pugs

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
Rigging elections since '87.

Papes posted:

make a java web app that gives pug breeders a centralized place to sell their pugs

ewwww java that doesn't sound very agile

otoh neither do the pugs

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AlsoD posted:

a nontrivial part of haskell (as I'd imagine any language unless you want to reimplement everything yourself) is looking through relevant libraries for a function that does what you want. try the search engine https://www.fpcomplete.com/hoogle or hayoo (remember to limit your search to the package parsec and even the version if you're using an old one)

by the way thank you for this, and the psots above. I feel like im getting somewhere (with the language in general) at least. It really doesnt sink in until i start using it, as opposed to just reading about it

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

triple sulk posted:

Please tell me about it.

i was a judge at a hackathon recently and based on what the entrants wrote, 'like x, but with y' and 'solve something with yo' are endless grounds for new ideas.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Papes posted:

this is the sample/reference app that has shipped with java for many years

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/index-136650.html

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

rotor posted:

doing what you love for a living is a great way to make you hate what you used to love

rather that vs doing what i love and not making any money, or starting off doing something i hate and continuing to hate it for the rest of my life

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Captain Foo posted:

sounds like ur bad at programming, lol

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

fritz posted:

i was a judge at a hackathon recently and based on what the entrants wrote, 'like x, but with y' and 'solve something with yo' are endless grounds for new ideas.

Code reviews... But with the blockchain

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

rotor posted:

i only love programming because i can make a living doing it

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Seaside Loafer posted:

i did cobol for 5 years years ago, here let me show you the not at all to much typing required syntax for a 1 to 10 for loop

code:
perform varying x from 1 by 1 until x = 10
    stuff
end-perform
the way variable definitions work is even more amusing

wish some fucker would offer me some niche part time contract to bug fix thier stuff, id make a mint, must be one of last surviving experts in that poo poo

how do you not have a job just go advertise on monster or linkedin or something

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Seaside Loafer posted:

wish some fucker would offer me some niche part time contract to bug fix thier stuff, id make a mint, must be one of last surviving experts in that poo poo

cobol skills are not that rare.

a lot of cobol shops hire fresh grads and train them on the spot.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Dont banks pay good money for Cobol and Fortran programmers to upkeep all their precious legacy systems

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Valeyard posted:

Dont banks pay good money for Cobol and Fortran programmers to upkeep all their precious legacy systems

idk about good money but it's about as secure as you can get

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
code exercises are dumb sometimes i think.

just did one and my feedback is "well we wish you had reimplemented some of the algorithms"

well maybe you should have noted that specifically? i don't get the thought process that says "its more valuable for someone to regurgitate algorithms than to use the most efficient method of solving the problem", especially when its timed and especially when the exercise has absolutely no relation to the business or title.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

or maybe i'm just a lovely programmer and i should stick to web design or nepotism

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
i spoke with a guy that did interviews and asked him if he thought that doing tech interviews without any tools is representative of their ability to code with eclipse et al and he said that yes he did

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

AlsoD posted:

i spoke with a guy that did interviews and asked him if he thought that doing tech interviews without any tools is representative of their ability to code with eclipse et al and he said that yes he did

aslkfdjashsfk;sajfs

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

AlsoD posted:

i'm pretty sure this industry gets the people it deserves

sure lets create a process that incentivizes bringing in people who are turbospergs who are too clever for their own good, that's a great way to create maintainable and reliable code

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AlsoD posted:

lol

same with coding course exams in uni

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
it's like asking a carpenter, who is going to be employed building furniture, to carve you a broach to prove that they can work with wood

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Seaside Loafer posted:

i did cobol for 5 years years ago, here let me show you the not at all to much typing required syntax for a 1 to 10 for loop

code:

perform varying x from 1 by 1 until x = 10
    stuff
end-perform

the way variable definitions work is even more amusing

how does it differ in the object oriented variant, ADD 1 TO COBOL?

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Never saw it thank god.

The primary reason for keeping some of those codebases is the legacy stuff but some people dont understand why. I can give you 2 good examples of worthwhile legacy code being maintained ive seen in my career, and 1 very bad one.

Good examples:
1) I worked on an military aircraft simulator project and the brains of the simulator were in an ancient 6 foot tall computer less powefull that your phone probably that parts for were worth a fortune. Its code base was in FORTRAN. Now at first you might think 'fucks sake just convert it to something modern' but the problem is the amount of certification required to sign off a new codebase as functional for a goverment project, it requires massive amounts of testing and checking and certificates, especially with anything airplane related etc etc etc. It was a valid cost benifit analysis to keep this poo poo. So I know for a fact that a certain RAF base in the UK is running its simulator on 30 year old FORTRAN code on a computer that may well be older than some of you. Its not just a case of copying the code to a new language.

2) Banking/Finance systems. The business logic in there is indeed very complicated and suffers from the same problems as example 1. It must work, properly, all the time, the certifications are endless, you cant really be releasing patch 1.09 after 10 million quid has dissapered. The legacy business logic has long had its problems worked out and everyone is terrified of changing things because of the amount of investment that would be required. The old 'if it aint broke dont fix it' clause.

Bad example:
1) My very last COBOL job around 2001/2002 ish was to convert a retail COBOL system to visual basic. Then they decided they wanted to keep the business logic and data layer in COBOL. I said the business logic here isnt really very complicated, you have a chance you modernise here, additionally the effort of keeping that trivial logic in COBOL is going to be as much if not more effort than than re-writing it in visual basic and sql server, thats pretty much what those things are for. They made me do it the bad way anyway and they went out of business 6 months after i left with the costs of the completly failed project.

Gosh that was long.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I wouldn't mind if Fortran was just used for spiffy math functions, then embed into a C++ or C# app for the integration. Did someone write a Fortran compiler for JVM yet?

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

AlsoD posted:

sorry, if you can't write code outside of an ide, you can't write code

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

b0lt posted:

some people value skills other than memorization of frameworks

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

b0lt posted:

lol there are people who probably believe this

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

b0lt posted:

can write code

you can't write code

:confused:

Is this some sort of Schrodingers coding?

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

triple sulk posted:

Please tell me about it.

Pick something you know a shitload about so you dont have to do any systems analysis and just try and write a program to do it. Every time I need to learn a new language I try to write this really complicated board game I played when I was a little kid, I never finish it but by the time im a quarter of the way through ive learnt enough of the language to be ok at it.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
b0lt this is supposed to be a safe zone for bad programmers, get out.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

if you cant write machine code by hand you don't really know how to code

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

b0lt posted:

it's not too different from needing to read documentation to write code. unless you don't need that either then I'm worse than I imagined

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

just lol if you havent memorized your lang of choices entire stl

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
In interviews I've been in on, I've always been prepared to count an answer as correct if the person says, "I don't know, but I'd look here to find out."

Nobody ever does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
lol if you've memorized anything more than your ssn and keep rear end password in this the year of our lord 2012

• Locked thread