Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
My god. Baki somehow got even more ludicrous. I sincerely hope they get ahold of Hitler's corpse and mix it with dinosaur DNA and that's Baki's next opponent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

That's a whole lot of goatman

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
New Chapter of Immortal Hounds.

I'm glad to see the author is pretty self-aware about how the world doesn't make sense.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Yes! I've been waiting forever for the next issue. As always, the worldbuilding is just simply bizarre. If they have guns but not wars, why the hell do their guns have multiple bullets? If they're just used as medical devices, there's no need for semi-auto fire or scopes.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Inside Mari really needs to be weekly to justify the rather plodding pace. Don't get me wrong, I like how Oshimi focuses on the subtleties of characters' expressions, but I felt like not even Flowers of Evil had so much emphasis put into it. Then again, that story did meander around a lot during its final arc.

Makes me wonder if he has any idea on how to actually wrap up the story, seeing as there's really only one plot point worth discussing, and it almost feels like the meandering is him trying desperately to create new conflict opportunities. I can't believe I'm asking for flashbacks, but maybe some into the MC's old life would be a way to handle this. Assuming of course the theory that Mari has DID isn't accurate.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Squidster posted:

Yes! I've been waiting forever for the next issue. As always, the worldbuilding is just simply bizarre. If they have guns but not wars, why the hell do their guns have multiple bullets? If they're just used as medical devices, there's no need for semi-auto fire or scopes.

Yeah, the manga seems to be actually pointing out questions like that--the fat vector outright questioned why the immortal world had guns just like his non-immortal world.

Sophism posted:

Inside Mari really needs to be weekly to justify the rather plodding pace. Don't get me wrong, I like how Oshimi focuses on the subtleties of characters' expressions, but I felt like not even Flowers of Evil had so much emphasis put into it. Then again, that story did meander around a lot during its final arc.

Makes me wonder if he has any idea on how to actually wrap up the story, seeing as there's really only one plot point worth discussing, and it almost feels like the meandering is him trying desperately to create new conflict opportunities. I can't believe I'm asking for flashbacks, but maybe some into the MC's old life would be a way to handle this. Assuming of course the theory that Mari has DID isn't accurate.

It does seem to have a slow pacing. And at this point I'm pretty much on the fence about what's actually going on, though I'll say that it definitely isn't DID, though it could be something else, like dissociative fugue which was brought up in a previous discussion of this.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Inside Mari has been super weird the last dozen or so chapters. It's always been weird, but now it's weird in a "is this flagrant full frontal nakedness to attract readers or what" type of weird.

Also, is it biweekly or monthly? Seems like new chapters pop up much more frequently than once a month.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Inside Mari has been super weird the last dozen or so chapters. It's always been weird, but now it's weird in a "is this flagrant full frontal nakedness to attract readers or what" type of weird.

Also, is it biweekly or monthly? Seems like new chapters pop up much more frequently than once a month.

Outside of the fact that Mari is underage, (Regardless of who's in the driving seat.) the masturbation scene didn't bother me. I honestly even felt that it took way too long for the MC to go down that path in their situation. I think I recall it not actually depicting anything vaginal, but it was definitely more explicit than I'd have liked.

I wanna say that before he finished Flowers of Evil it was monthly, but I'm not so sure. Now it's definitely biweekly though.

Either way, I felt this story was at its strongest back when we got to see Mari completely ruin her social life. Which brings me to another point: Is it just me or did Oshimi kind of decide to rewrite Mari's old BFF personality? It might have been just a facade, but she seemed to be legitimately worried about Mari in the earlier chapters... but as of late she has been portrayed as being just egotistical and manipulative.

Puukko naamassa
Mar 25, 2010

Oh No! Bruno!
Lipstick Apathy
The first chapter of Gunnm Mars Chronicle has been translated: http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/gunnm-mars-chronicle-r13886/

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Sophism posted:

Outside of the fact that Mari is underage, (Regardless of who's in the driving seat.) the masturbation scene didn't bother me. I honestly even felt that it took way too long for the MC to go down that path in their situation. I think I recall it not actually depicting anything vaginal, but it was definitely more explicit than I'd have liked.

I wanna say that before he finished Flowers of Evil it was monthly, but I'm not so sure. Now it's definitely biweekly though.

Either way, I felt this story was at its strongest back when we got to see Mari completely ruin her social life. Which brings me to another point: Is it just me or did Oshimi kind of decide to rewrite Mari's old BFF personality? It might have been just a facade, but she seemed to be legitimately worried about Mari in the earlier chapters... but as of late she has been portrayed as being just egotistical and manipulative.

That manga sounds hosed up.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

Oshimi's stuff tends to be pretty schadenfreude in general. Inside Mari just got pretty loving awkward in those two chapters I mentioned. Not enough for me to bail on the story yet, so hopefully he doesn't decide to crank up the creep factor ever again.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh sup, new Dorohedoro chapter!

I will never tire of Nikaido's frozen demonic expression of glee.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Captain Invictus posted:

Heh, yeah, that permanent face is great.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

I really need to re-read Dorohedoro so I can remember exactly what's going on. Fortunately Dorohedoro is such a fantastic series that I actually don't mind re-reading it (I almost never re-read things).

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's gonna be sad when it leaves because it's just this perfect mix of insane Alice-in-wonderland logic and violent madness that I've never seen anywhere else except maybe a Dowman Saiman comic.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

yeah, never reading that, thanks

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Sophism posted:

It was extra loving creepy to me, because he absolutely pinpointed what sexual situations are like as a woman when you're under extreme mental stress. You just want to stop being and "melt", and sex is the way of doing that. I don't feel skeeved out by it, just thoroughly creeped out at how much it lines up with reality.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Gyre posted:

It was extra loving creepy to me, because he absolutely pinpointed what sexual situations are like as a woman when you're under extreme mental stress. You just want to stop being and "melt", and sex is the way of doing that. I don't feel skeeved out by it, just thoroughly creeped out at how much it lines up with reality.

Realistic sexuality creeps you out??
I suppose people are too accustomed to "fake" sexuality like ecchi/fanservice.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Now that I think about it, that scene might be the reason Inside Mari isn't available in the manga app.

It seemed to have given Mari at least some emotional resolve. She appears less milquetoast the day after, even though she got that distressing phone call the previous night. I do wish she had stood up for herself against her old BFF, but oh well.

Honestly, reading some of the reactions to that chapter, it boggled my mind that people were so upset about that scene not for the fact that it portrays an underage character, nor the implications of the desire to merge with her and melt into nothingness. No, people were just upset that a female character dared masturbate... in a story aimed at adult readers.

My favorite was someone saying how hosed up it was that she was no longer... :airquote: pure.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

If anything, the scene was "delayed" because the MC is kind of crazy and a creepy stalker and Mari was his "pure waifu" so he specifically avoided anything remotely sexual.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

Realistic sexuality creeps you out??
I suppose people are too accustomed to "fake" sexuality like ecchi/fanservice.

I'm a woman. It's creepy because it's so spot on to stuff I've personally experienced.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Gyre posted:

I'm a woman. It's creepy because it's so spot on to stuff I've personally experienced.

Precisely, if it's stuff you've personally experienced the word I would use would be "natural" or "understandable" not "creepy" but I'm noticing how silly I'm being, saying what you should feel, lol, so forget it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hey Yume Tsukai translations ended! So I read the first three volumes of this series ageeees ago. from the author that later did the mediocre Mysterious Girlfriend X. Same super elaborate drawing style, but a much more interesting story. I remember from the first three volumes high content on lolis, magic, lesbians, some ecchi, witches, dreams but also drama, romance, and psychology in mystery plot.

This story featured:

Black Madonna
Eternal love
Order of Hermes
Alien civilization
Pansperma theory
Shamanism
Lost loved ones
Dreams

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turin Turambar posted:

Precisely, if it's stuff you've personally experienced the word I would use would be "natural" or "understandable" not "creepy" but I'm noticing how silly I'm being, saying what you should feel, lol, so forget it.

You actually sound like a creep, and a loser. So heads up.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

You actually sound like a creep, and a loser. So heads up.

Well, you sound like a very rude person who isn't capable to have a discussion about word meaning nor people disagreeing in some subjective matters so... uh... heads up?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm fine with you feeling that way, weirdo.

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012
Gosh this is a fun thread to read, thanks guys!

Does anyone know if the new Strongest Man Kurosawa is still getting scanlated, or getting officially localized? Moreover - has anyone read further in the raws and knows if it gets less depressingly homophobic?

coathat
May 21, 2007

A new chapter came out last night. http://bato.to/read/_/287310/the-new-kurosawa_v1_ch3_by_fkmtkrazy

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

That's what I get for not double-checking, haha. Thanks!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nobuyuki Fukumoto is easily one of my favorite manga artists.

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

Can anyone tell me if Keyman The Hand of Judgement is worth reading? It looks like there's weird fanservice coming but the art style looks so drat goofy I might be willing to let it slide.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Baofu posted:

Can anyone tell me if Keyman The Hand of Judgement is worth reading? It looks like there's weird fanservice coming but the art style looks so drat goofy I might be willing to let it slide.

I just read the first couple of chapters and it seems pretty decent.

Can someone name a manga/manhwa (it was published in both Japan and Korea IIRC) I'm trying to remember? It was about a muscular bounty hunter type dude who was the son of a legendary lady bounty hunter. I might have actually been shounen now that I think of it, but it was also fairly violent so maybe not. :shrug:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Keyman is pretty good. Dr Necro drags it down a bit but from what I remember the fanservice is mostly relegated to title and extra pages instead of the story itself. And other than that the art is great.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Genocyber posted:

I just read the first couple of chapters and it seems pretty decent.

Can someone name a manga/manhwa (it was published in both Japan and Korea IIRC) I'm trying to remember? It was about a muscular bounty hunter type dude who was the son of a legendary lady bounty hunter. I might have actually been shounen now that I think of it, but it was also fairly violent so maybe not. :shrug:

Jackals?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's either that or one of the other comics Boichi has done.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yup that was it, thanks.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sindai posted:

Keyman is pretty good. Dr Necro drags it down a bit but from what I remember the fanservice is mostly relegated to title and extra pages instead of the story itself. And other than that the art is great.

Yeah pretty much. The art is amazing but I did find it hard to tell what's going on in a few fights.

It's hard to go wrong when the main character is a T-rex detective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

RatHat posted:

It's hard to go wrong when the main character is a T-rex detective.

this may be true, but it features a young female character and its tagged as ecchi so i'm just gonna pass