Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Macaluso posted:

Yep, probably because it doesn't have as much content (although from what they've shown it seems to have plenty for loving 40 bucks)

I feel like they lowered the price because they know a lot of people will see almost nothing but small cubic levels (not that there's anything wrong with that) and scoff at the idea of paying full price. I'd be happier with $30, but gently caress it, it's a first party Nintendo game. It'll be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Carrasco posted:

Eight player smash can't be done online. It'd probably be really laggy, so maybe that's just as well.

Whoops. I don't know how I missed that footnote below the first picture. :downs: Well, that sucks.

Not a Children posted:

Not to go all BFC on you but just because you have more credit doesn't make it a good idea to use it. Having a higher loan cap just means the credit companies think you can afford to keep yourself afloat while further in the hole

But to answer the questions, no and yes

I know. :) It's a very small amount of the limit increase I got and I'm lucky to buy more than 3 games a year anymore.

Now I wish I didn't sell all of my GameCube stuff all those years ago. Maybe I'll pick up a proper controller later on. Spending another $40 on a GameCube controller and an adapter or another $50 on a Pro controller don't sit well with me.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

Auron posted:

Has anyone tried one of the eBay Wii U Pro Controller knock offs? How do you like it and is it very similar to the actual product, fit, finish and battery life? I'm looking at this one in particular, it seems to have a lot of sales:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Black-H...=item27e1821776

I can't check the link but I got a knockoff Pro Controller a while back from eBay. The left stick gets stuck easily, making a lot of movement unnecessarily hard. And it was considered defective enough that Gamestop wouldn't even accept it.

Go for play-asia if you want pro controllers.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

DerVerrater posted:

I am seriously considering the Wii U to be the companion console to my PC this generation but besides bayonetta i am really not seeing too much reason to get one.

The problem may lie in my lack of interest in first party nintendo titles, Think it is worth a gamble anyway?

I only game on my pc these days, and I just dropped $290 on a refurb wii u, smash bros, adapter, and a used gc controller.

I havent played smash bros since 8th grade on n64. Join me.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
A lot of people in this thread like The Wonderful 101. If you did like it, which games would you compare it to? I am now curious.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Definitely not Pikmin, which seems to be the prevailing comparison made by people who've never played either game.

W101 is an action game in the vein of Bayonetta, more or less. It's different in a lot of ways that make it less intuitive than Bayonetta or other action games but it's still something you can blow through on the easier difficulty settings without too much effort, and there's a ton of content and spectacle. It fits the same niche on Wii U that Kid Icarus Uprising fills on 3DS, I think.

It makes use of the gamepad in a lot of different ways including two-screen sections, but there are standard controls for everything and you can do everything screen-in-screen with a pro controller if you'd prefer.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

zfleeman posted:

A lot of people in this thread like The Wonderful 101. If you did like it, which games would you compare it to? I am now curious.

Other Platinum games, really. Particularly Viewtiful Joe because of the "loving parody" attitude and because everything feels like flailing until it suddenly clicks.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

zfleeman posted:

It's Viewtiful Joe + Okami + Bayonetta

vvv dude the drawing is literally PS2 Okami

Looper fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 19, 2014

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Looper posted:

It's Viewtiful Joe + Okami + Bayonetta

I don't really think it's anything like Okami

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The action of Bayonetta, the style and flare of Viewtiful Joe, the drawing of non-Nintendo Okami and the throwing tiny dudes on bigger dudes of Pikmin.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Also you can jump like in Super Mario Bros

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
In practice the drawing mechanic of Okami is nothing like the drawing mechanic of W101. Just like how the game actually isn't anything like Pikmin at all.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Austrian mook posted:

In practice the drawing mechanic of Okami is nothing like the drawing mechanic of W101. Just like how the game actually isn't anything like Pikmin at all.

Actually it's pretty easy to tell it's an inspiration of Okami

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's more like fighting-game inputs.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

This game where you draw things to solve puzzles sometimes draws absolutely no inspiration from the other game where you draw things to solve puzzles sometimes that was made by the same people.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Aurora posted:

This game where you draw things to solve puzzles sometimes draws absolutely no inspiration from the other game where you draw things to solve puzzles sometimes that was made by the same people.

Don't bother, there's no reaching some people.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

DoctorWhat posted:

It's more like fighting-game inputs.

So too would the inputs in Okami be if they weren't so ridiculously slow.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Pretty sure I was drawing slashes through fools mid-fight in Okami

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

acksplode posted:

Pretty sure I was drawing slashes through fools mid-fight in Okami

A graceful endeavor that takes about 4 times longer than it should, thus feeling like careful brush strokes. You can tell they learned a lot about what did and did not work when they revisited the general concept. For example, "don't make everything a circle."

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Aurora posted:

In practice they're not very similar at all so saying "the game is like Okami" is a bad thing to do since the game actually isn't like Okami. I don't know why you can't understand this.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's similar to Okami in that every boss feels like it should be the final boss but isn't, but it's different to Okami in that you're actually glad when it doesn't end.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

In practice they're not very similar at all so saying "the game is like Okami" is a bad thing to do since the game actually isn't like Okami. I don't know why you can't understand this.

You didn't get very good grades in math class, did you?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's similar to Okami in that every boss feels like it should be the final boss but isn't, but it's different to Okami in that you're actually glad when it doesn't end.

I was glad when Okami didn't end. :colbert:

Well okay 3 identical Orochi battles was egregious but otherwise it was a great game.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Austrian mook posted:

I don't know why you can't understand how a game can draw inspiration from mechanics of other games

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Hey now don't talk poo poo

I wouldn't go about arguing that TW101 is like Okami, but I'd definitely bet that part of the reason W101's drawing works as well as it does it because they had Okami to look back on.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Austrian mook posted:

No one has said literally "Wonderful 101 is like Okami." I know it's all the way at the top of the page, so I'll do you a favor and quote it down here. This is the actual post you were rebutting:

ChaosArgate posted:

The action of Bayonetta, the style and flare of Viewtiful Joe, the drawing of non-Nintendo Okami and the throwing tiny dudes on bigger dudes of Pikmin.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ultigonio posted:

A graceful endeavor that takes about 4 times longer than it should, thus feeling like careful brush strokes. You can tell they learned a lot about what did and did not work when they revisited the general concept. For example, "don't make everything a circle."

The Wii controls actually can be pretty quick once you get used to some of the more finicky brush techniques. Flicking the wrist for a line or circle can take like a second.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Ultigonio posted:

Hey now don't talk poo poo

I wouldn't go about arguing that TW101 is like Okami, but I'd definitely bet that part of the reason W101's drawing works as well as it does it because they had Okami to look back on.

Why? They're used in completely different ways. In W101 they're used for swapping weapons or battle stances and in Okami they're like Zelda items.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

It's similar to Okami in that every boss feels like it should be the final boss but isn't

Naw, that's just Platinum being Platinum.

Speaking of Platinum, Nintendo just needs to make a 2-minute long commercial cut of the boss fight from Chapter IV of Bayonetta 2 for the holiday season, and the money printing machine will start rolling out of control.

enojy fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 19, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's Platinum being Platinum and then there's W101 which is a loving ouroboros of Platinum references.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Austrian mook posted:

Why? They're used in completely different ways. In W101 they're used for swapping weapons or battle stances and in Okami they're like Zelda items.

They're completely different, these battle actions you execute by drawing a shape on a screen. They have wildly different effects on the combat scenes in which you use them against enemies, so they are in no way similar. I mean heck, the games they're in even have different titles! That's pretty different.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Alright. I've seen enough descriptors that I don't like describing TW101, that I can just pass and watch an LP or something. Any good ones out there?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

zfleeman posted:

Alright. I've seen enough descriptors that I don't like describing TW101, that I can just pass and watch an LP or something. Any good ones out there?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3645180

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

acksplode posted:

They're completely different, these battle actions you execute by drawing a shape on a screen. They have wildly different effects on the combat scenes in which you use them against enemies, so they are in no way similar. I mean heck, the games they're in even have different titles! That's pretty different.

We get it, you disagree with me. Grow up and move on.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
zfleeman, I have no idea whether ZombiU is your type of game or not but I think people would probably enjoy watching you play it, even though the two-screen stuff makes it difficult to record.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

No one is saying they're accomplishing the same gameplay. All anyone is saying is that Kamiya was undoubtedly reusing the drawing to activate actions/moves/etc and that it's better in TW101 because he had a clear reference in his head of how the team could improve the idea.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I'm am going to tie all of my weiners together like a raft

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Austrian mook posted:

We get it, you disagree with me. Grow up and move on.

Actually everyone disagrees with you! You're free to spout dumb wrong opinions, but at least have the grace to not whine when you get called out.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 19, 2014

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I'm still mad about Sportsball. I called customer service and tried to get a refund because it doesn't have any kind of single player mode, despite the eshop entry saying it was for "up to 5 players." They wouldn't give me my money back, but I asked them to update the info on the eshop, which they now have. Now it reads "1-5 players" which is arguably worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Fix posted:

I'm still mad about Sportsball. I called customer service and tried to get a refund because it doesn't have any kind of single player mode, despite the eshop entry saying it was for "up to 5 players." They wouldn't give me my money back, but I asked them to update the info on the eshop, which they now have. Now it reads "1-5 players" which is arguably worse.

Wow, that's awful. It is so rare to find a game that isn't an MMO outright that features no single player mode, you would think they'd want to do all they could to make sure that was very clear.

• Locked thread