Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Didn't see this posted elsewhere... VINTAGE RUSSO

http://www.scribd.com/doc/246614900/Vince-Russo-on-Homosexuality-in-Wrestling

http://www.scribd.com/doc/246614899/Vince-Russo-Books-WrestleMania-8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

We joke about a TNA reality tv show, but in reality Dixie actually pitched such a show to networks a couple of years ago after she was turned down by a reality tv show (the name of which escapes me). It was pushed exactly as you expect - Dixie is just a mom but she's also the successful owner of a wrestling company.

No one was interested enough to even want a pilot.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Skinty McEdger posted:

We joke about a TNA reality tv show, but in reality Dixie actually pitched such a show to networks a couple of years ago after she was turned down by a reality tv show (the name of which escapes me). It was pushed exactly as you expect - Dixie is just a mom but she's also the successful owner of a wrestling company.

I think she wanted to get on Real Housewives of Nashville or something along those lines.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Testekill posted:

I think she wanted to get on Real Housewives of Nashville or something along those lines.

This but it wasn't an official "Real Housewives" thing, it was a bad knockoff

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

Skinty McEdger posted:

This is all particularly funny, because this is an actual thing that a big network will buy.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

From here

quote:

No offense meant at all man, but prove they didn't make payroll or were late paying. No one outside that company knows the financials. Why would someone float that online you ask? Because they work everyone at all times. That's wrestling. The boys work shoot interview guys as marks and say things that will trend. They embellish here and there but its part of the grift. A pissed off employee who leaks a rumor that trends, likely gets a call back and money from a newz site next time. Not saying that's what it is but prove to me absolutely that it isn't. Neither of us are likely to. Panda paying the bills is not new nor is it news. That isn't the. Carter's paying off Dixie's debts that is called an investment and it's an easy right off on loss for their overall bottom line. Major industrial companies do this. With Panda its energy so they are experts in margins. Righting off minor losses allows for expenditures in another area. They are likely to have dozens of companies/investments they do this with. Again, I will never call her a saint or even a very good promoter, she isn't. But I am not going to grudge her a bit for spending her money the way she wants.

Clueless TNA defender

Testekill fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 16, 2014

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I will now apply that logic to everything in wrestling ever: You don't know because they work everyone all the time.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

It gets worse. Anything bad that you hear about TNA in a shoot interview is just bitterness from former employees and that since TNA aren't publicly traded then you can't know how the business is going so you should just gently caress off because you don't know anything.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Good for the Newz sites if they have enough money to pay sources.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

sticklefifer posted:

I will now apply that logic to everything in wrestling ever: You don't know because they work everyone all the time.

That TNA will get a new TV deal any minute now? That's the stone cold truth. I mean, why would Dixie lie?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
You don't know if she's lying or not because she works everyone all the time, you see.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

sticklefifer posted:

You don't know if she's lying or not because she works everyone all the time, you see.

Pretty soon she'll be the only one still working.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Honestly a mostly staged Honey Boo Boo style "broken people reality show" on TLC would be a thing that could legit save TNA. A well set up cheap reality show makes tons of cash and even if they ran Impact at 6 on a Friday it would probably be more popular than it is right now. Those TLC shows like "bear country meat delivery" or whatever make an ungodly amount of cash from marketing, I'm pretty sure at this point the Duck Dynasty people are millionaires just from T Shirt sales.

They were already millionaires before the show. So it would work fine with Dixie!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

quote:

Attendance is stagnant and the Network has basically killed any chance of WWE ever getting in the PPV business ever again. The TV deals have't turned out to be what WWE thought it was going to be and the audience is heavily reliant upon those who became fans as kids in the 80's and 90's (which is why the average age of a raw viewer is something like 37). The 2000's haven't really created new fans and the audience is going to keep hemorraghing fans unless a new star can come and really draw new viewers, not just the children of wrestling fans.

More importantly, there are fewer people watching wrestling today than at any other point in American history. Regional promotions which could reliably draw in the thousands? Dead. Local Tv shows? Dead. PWG? Hitting the glass ceiling audience wise (they refuse to switch venues so they're stuck selling the same amount of tickets. ROH? Less buzz and attention than its ever had. Global Force? Potential there, but probably limited to importing other products for the time being. TNA? Stumbling and probably has killed the chance of wrestling getting on a mid-major network for a while.

We all like to talk about the WWE's troubles, but it's easy to forget that a lot of the grass roots promotions which were reliably drawing in small towns on a weekly basis are gone and in terms of total paying audience, let alone combined tv audience, there are just a lot fewer butts in seats.

Let's look worldwide then. All Japan? Dead. Noah? Dying. Wrestle-1? Struggling. Joshi Promotions? Gone. DDT is rising and New Japan is back on top, but those two combined still lack the major "asses in seats" factor Japan had in the 80's and 90's. Mexico, CMLL? Dying. AAA? Going okay but nowhere near what it used to be. Europe? Some small federations popping up now, but the old touring promotions are gone on the continent and the era of millions tuning in to watch Big Daddy are long gone.

Wrestling has no real great stars left, the icons people are dying to see. Instead you basically have the WWE brand everywhere but Mexico and Japan. And, with the WWE struggling as it is, if it goes, pro wrestling goes, because the weekly wrestling audience, the people you could count on to restart promotions, stopped watching in the late 80's. So yeah, the network is bad news and Pro Wrestling in general, as an entertainment form, is probably at its weakest point since its creation. Unless it starts getting paying asses in seats again, it will continue to slowly wither.
Sorry guys looks like wrestling is about to go extinct

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

not the worst opinion in this thread

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, that's almost sane compared to most of the stuff here. Honestly if the WWE continue down this road I could see them just disappearing. Not today or tomorrow, but if trends continue for ten or twenty years...

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

It's tough to sensibly project where ANY business is going to be 20 years from now but WWE's a long way from going out of business

Any company that has 20 straight years of decline is going to obviously be in serious trouble. He's right in that the global wrestling industry is in a weak state right now and that no matter how much I love them NJPW being the only real major league fed would be horrible for the global industry, but one major fuckup (Network so far) isn't going to kill the WWE.

Not that they really matter for much in the grand scheme of things other than entertaining smarks and serving as a developmental territory, but ROH is actually doing rather well this year and their future looks a hell of a lot more secure than it did a couple years ago. Not fair to say at all that they're at their nadir.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The major point is still valid. The drawing power of a prowrestling event is dwindling. Something happened in the late 80s that created a downward slide. Was it the WWF vs WCW's all or nothing expansion war? Was it the breaking of kafaybe? The rise of the Internet? Business practices not adapting to the tastes of the fans?

gently caress I dunno. I just know indies consider a 400 person house a roaring success. WWE has to do screwy diversification to get its books right.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Isn't most media undergoing a decline in numbers just due to fragmentation? UFC I think is still an exception, and I'm sure the WWE's effective monopoly doesn't help, but wrestling's situation isn't unique.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

I blame WWE's over-reliance on vanilla midgets. Push John Cena.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

WWE has all the tools at their disposal to make it hot again. Vince won't die though, so they can't really do anything with them.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

sportsgenius86 posted:

WWE has all the tools at their disposal to make it hot again. Vince won't die though, so they can't really do anything with them.

Murder Vince in his sleep and fire Kevin Dunn into a volcano.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

coconono posted:

Murder Vince in his sleep and fire Kevin Dunn into a volcano.

Do you really think that striking him down wouldn't just lead to him returning stronger?

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
I always thought it was strange how wrestling fans openly talk about wanting the head honcho of the show they watch each week, month after month, year after year to die. Seems kind of drastic when you could just stop watching the product.

I think Vince is someone to aspire towards being. There is no better position in life than to be a successful lunatic. That owns.

I don't currently watch the show.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 19, 2014

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

God Of Paradise posted:

I always thought it was strange how wrestling fans openly talk about wanting the head honcho of the show they watch each week, month after month, year after year to die. Seems kind of drastic when you could just stop watching the product.

I've definitely heard people talk about wanting Gary Bettman dead and I'm like 85% sure I've read more than one published editorial openly talking about it.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
It's an insane idea but maybe they could always try better writing? I mean, successful TV shows, when they're not ultra cheap reality TV or a Chuck Lorre sitcom, generally have good or at least serviceable writing.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Do you really think that striking him down wouldn't just lead to him returning stronger?
Also Vince seems like a guy who has built an tolerance for a multitude of poisons because he laces his snowcones with a little bit of hemlock, cyanide, etc.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I've definitely heard people talk about wanting Gary Bettman dead and I'm like 85% sure I've read more than one published editorial openly talking about it.
Hell there are players in the NFL who wouldn't piss on Roger Goodell if he was on fire which is why James Harrison is the greatest player in the NFL.

I don't really get into murder fantasies about Vince McMahon, I'm way too focused on leading the revolution and ultimate destruction of Bob Nutting. :v:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hey bill wirtz died and the blackhawks went from being the worst franchise in any of the major sports to being a multiple-time champ basically overnight. resorting to death as an agent of change is pretty much what you get with monarchistic monopolies. we'll just have to see if vince also gets booed during his moment of silence

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
TNA fans don't wash possibly bullied

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

"this history occasion"

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

"this history occasion"

The most history occasion in the history of our sport.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Didn't take long

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

NomDePlume_ is a treasure

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

What happened with TNA that they're all celebrating? Did they get that show on AMC right after Walking Dead so it has the lead in it deserves? Is it on Discovery? Am I going to be able to discover TNA soon?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

TheJoker138 posted:

What happened with TNA that they're all celebrating? Did they get that show on AMC right after Walking Dead so it has the lead in it deserves? Is it on Discovery? Am I going to be able to discover TNA soon?

LOLOLOL TNA signed with poo poo network for less money!

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
because if they didn't get a deal they'd be out of business. these people like the tna product.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

They genuinely think Destination America is an improvement over Spike

Even though Spike's available in twice as much homes, and absolutely paid TNA more

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Chris James 2 posted:

Even though Spike's available in twice as much homes, and absolutely paid TNA more

If that's true, why would TNA leave Spike??? It would be stupid for them to leave and go to a worse channel with less money.

I swear, you haters just never give up huh.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Chris James 2 posted:

You'll see how wrong you are now TNA is finally on a network willing to promote them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008