Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I really wish The Lost could have Holy Mantle as a strating item and not have flight. Even then it'd still be hard as hell.... :smith:

Waffleopolis fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Kaethela posted:

How the gently caress do you do Cat Got Your Tongue? I can't swing this stupid hairball without bumping into enemies every single time.

It depends on the enemies, the fast/twitchy ones are the worst. I'd probably just try and practice how the hairball moves, especially if you do sharp maneuvers. But yeah uh... good luck in the challenge

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Remember that the hairball goes behind you when you move, so if you're being chased by something just run away in a cardinal direction and the hairball will drag behind you, hitting whatever is coming after you.

Also get really lucky and find a dice room that rolls the hairball and whatever else you pick up into something that can shoot tears. Pro advice.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Do steam sales stack? If I get two will things be 75% off in the shop?

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...
I just did a boss rush and had no issues. Next floor I run into Dingle in a room; he takes all of my 7 hearts. I hate that boss so much. :smith:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Waffleopolis posted:

I really wish The Lost could have Holy Mantle as a strating item and not have flight. Even then it'd still be hard as hell.... :smith:

That might be asking for a bit much. Personally I'd like it if The Lost at least started with Judas damage, because the beginning floors just feel like an incredible slog with him.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Maide posted:

I just did a boss rush and had no issues. Next floor I run into Dingle in a room; he takes all of my 7 hearts. I hate that boss so much. :smith:
What on earth are you doing against dingle that that happens?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't really want to play the Lost because it feels like on top of needing to be really good you also need the RNG to cooperate with you. There are bunch of items that are worthless to him because he can't take more than one hit, and from what I've heard the game doesn't compensate for this at all. You have to hope you get items that are actually relevant and not useless due to the Lost's gimmick.

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

IronicDongz posted:

What on earth are you doing against dingle that that happens?

It charged at me and hit me every time because I don't even know why. That boss is too quick. :(

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Maide posted:

It charged at me and hit me every time because I don't even know why. That boss is too quick. :(

He telegraphs his charges with an animation that's literally like three seconds long. Move sideways out of his path when he frowns, and then move sideways out of his path again two more times because he charges three times in a row. It's really easy to dodge, guy.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

loving christ I hate ludovico. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if mouse controls worked like the original :saddowns:

Ludovico is fantastic depending on what you get. Brimstone makes it one of the best things to pick up due to the easy constant damage and huge radius of effect.

Kaethela posted:

How the gently caress do you do Cat Got Your Tongue? I can't swing this stupid hairball without bumping into enemies every single time.

I didn't find it that hard, really. Once you get the hang of it you get pretty good at hitting stuff with it and all you need is one hit for an attack fly to spawn. Just take it slow and carefully, there's no need to rush. It ends at Mom so it's not like you have reason to worry about the boss rush. It's also really effective against Mom since you can hit multiple doorways at once with the rotation.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I've teleported to the devil room before. I know I have. I just killed krampus and he dropped his head. I want it. But also I wanted to find the i am error room on purpose for once and I had a broken teleporter and a remote detonator so I can teleport for free as much as I want. I've been teleporting for what feels like forever and I haven't teleported to I am error and I haven't teleported back to the devil room and the door has disappeared. Can only the joker card or red chests teleport you there and I done hosed up?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Anyone complaining about Dingle when Gurdy "No Telegraph No Animation Just Open Mouth and Ping-Pong Around Room" Jr. is in this game honestly confuses me.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Krinkle posted:

I've teleported to the devil room before. I know I have. I just killed krampus and he dropped his head. I want it. But also I wanted to find the i am error room on purpose for once and I had a broken teleporter and a remote detonator so I can teleport for free as much as I want. I've been teleporting for what feels like forever and I haven't teleported to I am error and I haven't teleported back to the devil room and the door has disappeared. Can only the joker card or red chests teleport you there and I done hosed up?
I don't know if you can teleport into them with normal teleports, but I do know that sometimes the devil doors just go away when you leave and other times they stay. The reasons are shrouded in mystery.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are so many goddamn times I have walked into the devil room, opened one of the red chests, and got teleported to the devil room I am currently standing in. It's like gently caress you, why can't you make that happen when I'm not already here? :argh:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

What exactly does the Cancer trinket do?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Increases fire rate. Not as much as the first game unfortunately.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I wonder if there will be any balance changes to the lost. It was a super secret that was supposed to stay hidden for a really long time, so maybe ed didn't put a huge amount of thought into it. The only thing I would ask is that the items that are only usable on hit (and are thus completely useless to the lost) be balanced so they do something, or don't show up, I don't know.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Krinkle posted:

Once you get Undefined you have a pretty good chance of getting into I Am Error. Which isn't a great thing always. I had a fantastic run going and I picked that thing up, got I Am Error like three times and thus skipped those floors. The run kinda faltered after that.

The Joker card just has a 100% chance of a devil/angel room but I'm pretty sure you have a chance at getting into them with a regular teleport.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Kaethela posted:

The trick to getting range on the hairball is to keep it swinging. You should always be moving in small circles to keep it fully extended, and swing it like a mace. Think of it like a ball and chain weapon - you gotta keep it swinging to keep it extended until the opportune moment and then slam it into whatever you're fighting.

Don't try to just run up from a full stop to whatever and slap it with your hairball, you have to wait for your opportune moment where the front swing of your hairball lines up with a moment where you can step forward to slam it into the face of whatever is getting near you.

It's hard to explain, but really the trick is to constantly walk in small circles to keep the ball moving. I cleared Cat Got Your Tongue on my first try with nothing spectacular for items - possibly even bad items (no speed ups, no HP ups, I don't think I ever got a soul or devil heart, no brimstone or dark bum or anything that trivializes the no-tear challenges) and cleared it comfortably. Once you kill a couple enemies with the hairball and it gets big it does tons of damage to anything it touches. A good swipe at one of the doors on Mom was knocking off 20-25% of her HP once my hairball was fully charged. The worst part of the floor is fighting enemies that die to a tap from the ball and a fly before you get any corpses added to your hairball - fly kills don't build your hairball and building up your hairball is vital to clearing floors.

This weekend I'll make a short video/gif showing what I mean about small circles to keep it swinging.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Krinkle posted:

I"m pretty sure Devil Room does only come from the Joker card and red chests. I'm almost positive that you can't get I Am Error from broken remote also, at least in my hundreds of teleports with it I haven't.

Also, apparently Mutant Spider + Ludevico on Azazel reduces your damage to one and it takes forever to kill anything.

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012

Magres posted:

The trick to getting range on the hairball is to keep it swinging. You should always be moving in small circles to keep it fully extended, and swing it like a mace. Think of it like a ball and chain weapon - you gotta keep it swinging to keep it extended until the opportune moment and then slam it into whatever you're fighting.

Don't try to just run up from a full stop to whatever and slap it with your hairball, you have to wait for your opportune moment where the front swing of your hairball lines up with a moment where you can step forward to slam it into the face of whatever is getting near you.

It's hard to explain, but really the trick is to constantly walk in small circles to keep the ball moving. I cleared Cat Got Your Tongue on my first try with nothing spectacular for items - possibly even bad items (no speed ups, no HP ups, I don't think I ever got a soul or devil heart, no brimstone or dark bum or anything that trivializes the no-tear challenges) and cleared it comfortably. Once you kill a couple enemies with the hairball and it gets big it does tons of damage to anything it touches. A good swipe at one of the doors on Mom was knocking off 20-25% of her HP once my hairball was fully charged. The worst part of the floor is fighting enemies that die to a tap from the ball and a fly before you get any corpses added to your hairball - fly kills don't build your hairball and building up your hairball is vital to clearing floors.

This weekend I'll make a short video/gif showing what I mean about small circles to keep it swinging.

It's worth noting that the hairball blocks bullets.

You also want speed upgrades. Speed upgrades are key in trivialising this challenge, as the increased speed also increases the range/movement speed of your hairball. If you get a pill that lowers your movement speed, just restart the challenge, it's over.

I was forced to replay this challenge after the game/steam cloud wiped my save. The first time beating this challenge was a huge pain. The second time I got four speed upgrades, dozens of soul hearts and health upgrades and a chaos card at the end. It was pretty cathartic.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Okay, I straight-up don't have the wrist fortitude for a Chocolate Milk run. As fun as it is to get all "Fist of the North Star" on bosses, four floors of raw mashing just wears me out.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

The Bee posted:

Anyone complaining about Dingle when Gurdy "No Telegraph No Animation Just Open Mouth and Ping-Pong Around Room" Jr. is in this game honestly confuses me.

Gurdy is one of the easier bosses. As soon as she dips her head in, just strafe to a different compass point. Never get hit again. Dingle is arguably harder than Gurdy.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

goodness posted:

Gurdy is one of the easier bosses. As soon as she dips her head in, just strafe to a different compass point. Never get hit again. Dingle is arguably harder than Gurdy.

Gurdy Jr., not Gurdy. Gurdy herself depending on my movespeed and attentiveness ranges from really easy to a bit annoying.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

gurdy jr. is a different boss and is the one that instantly dashes at people, which makes it hard to avoid

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

goodness posted:

That post was about Gurdy jr who just cold charges at you and bounces off walls in ways that are difficult to predict.

edit: I am way too late on this

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gurdy Jr. is a real rear end in a top hat, but you can kill it easily without taking a hit as long as you stay as far away as possible. Once it starts slowing down, make sure you're on the far side of the room from it. That'll give you ample time to react when the little prick starts spazzing out.

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012

Rocketlex posted:

Okay, I straight-up don't have the wrist fortitude for a Chocolate Milk run. As fun as it is to get all "Fist of the North Star" on bosses, four floors of raw mashing just wears me out.

Just charge up the shots with chocolate milk. It charges up pretty quickly and you can 1-2 shot most enemies with it. I'm pretty sure mashing buttons only sends out a bunch of no damage tears anyways.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

gently caress you forever game

gently caress you

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

gently caress you

drat, that's mighty impressive. :golfclap: Congrats.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

gently caress you

now you can have fun again. congratulations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Gurdy Jr. is an rear end in a top hat when you first see him. Then you get to the chest and enter a tiny room filled with two of them. They bounce off the walls and each other so fast its nearly impossible to avoid them. gently caress those rooms.

AnonSpore posted:

gently caress you

Think you're the first person in this thread to actually do this without cheating.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

At least the blue Gurdy Jrs are small and have little health to make up for having to deal with 2 of them at a time.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Gurdy Jr. is an rear end in a top hat when you first see him. Then you get to the chest and enter a tiny room filled with two of them. They bounce off the walls and each other so fast its nearly impossible to avoid them. gently caress those rooms.

Think you're the first person in this thread to actually do this without cheating.

i completed my lost runs a few days ago actually. not to take the wind out of that guys sails or anything, that's an impressive accomplishment no matter how long it takes you.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Speaking of the Gurdy family, thoughts on the Gurdlings and Mama Gurdy? The former seem kinda annoying but weak enough to be not so troubling when they start filling floors on later levels, and I haven't encountered Mama enough to really make any assumptions.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Bee posted:

Speaking of the Gurdy family, thoughts on the Gurdlings and Mama Gurdy? The former seem kinda annoying but weak enough to be not so troubling when they start filling floors on later levels, and I haven't encountered Mama enough to really make any assumptions.

Mama's piss easy if you can fly and still fairly easy if you can't. The lings don't even get a life bar if you fight them outside the basement :v:

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
mama gurdy's spike attacks is pretty bullshit from what i've seen but i've had such OP combos every time i've fought her that i don't really have much of an opinion on what her overall difficulty is like. gurdlings are annoying but i'll take them over gurdy jr. any day of the week.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

dis astranagant posted:

At least the blue Gurdy Jrs are small and have little health to make up for having to deal with 2 of them at a time.

And those ones give you a soul heart at the end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

AHungryRobot posted:

mama gurdy's spike attacks is pretty bullshit from what i've seen but i've had such OP combos every time i've fought her that i don't really have much of an opinion on what her overall difficulty is like. gurdlings are annoying but i'll take them over gurdy jr. any day of the week.
That attack is awful but if you have flight you just strafe and it's a slower, longer The Haunt.