Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Seiphied posted:

Fakeedit: The ad at the bottom of the page is offering a thirty-second online ebola test. Farewell faith in humanity.

It's probably a rotating ad for Aggro-Gator which does a ton of weird ads like that.

On topic, this looks like a game that pretty much doesn't catch my interest to play but I am enjoying watching the ongoing trials of humanity. Thanks for the videos!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

SweaterGear posted:

So Judge Lawton doesn't care if people have permits to carry firearms? Only her personal army can be armed? GEE, I WONDER IF SHE MIGHT BE AN ANTAGONIST

Funny you say that...
Even more funny is that whatever you assume from this statement will probably be wrong!

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Ed's depression montage was pretty much the best thing. Be it accountant or zombie killer, it's just the same thing everyday isn't Ed?

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
It's not as good as a proper base, but from memory that Jurassic Junction petrol station is one of the starting points in Breakdown.

For my part I thought that Captain Toad was a Wind in the Willows reference or something. So if you thought Bucky O'Hare was dated... (Actually I've never heard of Bucky O'Hare before.)

I didn't realise that that mission with the Doc was time-limited. I thought the only time-limited thing was... something else we haven't seen yet.

You've gotta move into the Snyder base. It's too good to pass up.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Skool, your laugh at leaving those two guys behind when you drove off was disturbingly evil, yet addictive.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
Vote for holding out until the final base. Mostly because I never managed to do so.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Antistar01 posted:

I didn't realise that that mission with the Doc was time-limited. I thought the only time-limited thing was... something else we haven't seen yet.

I might be wrong about that mission actually, I was sure it was that one but I looked on the wiki earlier today and it didn't say anything like that. Though they did mention that the penalty for putting off that wilkerson defense mission is that Ed will die from being sick too long.

I think I know the mission you're talking about- and the mission doesn't expire, it just has worse consequences.

A little correction in my video! I talked about the blade sweep vs the high-kick, but the high-kick is the alternative to the sweep-kick. The blade sweep's alternative is a single-zombie one shot decapitation move. However I don't like it because the character hesitates for about a second before they do it, during which time they're vulnerable.

I think for Halloween (tomorrow night) I will try to livestream myself playing some Lifeline, which won't spoil the main story, and also I haven't played at all yet so I should make some amusing mistakes. I guess I will announce here when I've decided that will start, but it'll be pretty late, after-dinner Pacific time.

skoolmunkee fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 30, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So what alleviates depression? Going out on missions? Home activities?

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Glazius posted:

Killing zombies is the solution to just about every problem in the game.
But I think they keep being sad, just not in a way that has direct consequences.
Not sure how to improve the mood of anyone who isn't being problematic - in theory better defence, more resources, and beds for everyone should be the solution... But I've had people be in a bad mood even when I've got ridiculous amounts of stuff.

MoadDib
Apr 4, 2009

Glazius posted:

The best way to improve a character's mood is to take them out and kill zombies, complete missions, and do supply runs.
Everyone's mood will slowly deteriorate if they just sit at home simply because there's a chance that fights, arguments, accidents, etc will happen while you're away, all of which negatively effect survivor's moods.
Keeping morale high helps to reduce the occurrence of things like this, as do certain structures that we can build (especially the communal dining area) but the simple truth of it is that if a character just sits at home base all the time, then they're bound to start stirring up trouble before too long, forcing you to take them on emergency missions so they don't do something drastic. They absolutely can and will do things like run away, injure other survivors, or even kill themselves if they get bad enough; having a survivor at base with the "counselor" trait can help to prevent the consequences of a survivor's bad mood, but won't actually keep them from getting into the mood, they'll just prevent the end consequence; You'll get a message like "Stacey tried to hurt Bill, but Jim talked her down." Stacey will still be in a bad mood, but having that counselor character helped to prevent the injury that otherwise would have occurred.

They put this in to make sure that you kept using all of your survivors and didn't just stick with a few favorites while leaving the rest to sit at home and stew. It's not as bad as the max stamina and health loss, but it does incentivize you to use other survivors when you see that they are in a negative mood. Also, that way you don't keep getting called back to base every five minutes because someone is sad/angry/scared, which helps keep your playtime streamlined if that's what you like.

MoadDib fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 31, 2014

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

MoadDib posted:

They put this in to make sure that you kept using all of your survivors and didn't just stick with a few favorites while leaving the rest to sit at home and stew. It's not as bad as the max stamina and health loss, but it does incentivize you to use other survivors when you see that they are in a negative mood. Also, that way you don't keep getting called back to base every five minutes because someone is sad/angry/scared, which helps keep your playtime streamlined if that's what you like.

Of course, because I didn't understand the reason for the bad mood, this purpose went un-fullfilled.
I still ignored like 75% of my survivors, having a handful of combat-skilled survivors that I actually used.
So the end result was just a bunch of extra missions to run through with my 'kill everything within reach' characters.

Now that I understand the mechanic... That's actually a great feature, since it's a bit too safe to wander with certain traits (and maxed skills), and I do approve of it... They just need to be better at telling you (maybe have the radio-chick occasionally go 'Such-and-such are getting restless from having to sit at home all day' or whatever)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The game is on sale this weekend for $6.59 on Steam once again

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I guess I didn't post it here, but I streamed myself playing the Lifeline DLC for the first time for 90 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQjbNu4h3BM

I've since figured out how to actually be good at Lifeline and not get anybody killed and beat the DLC. But it was more fun being terrible and taking every ramp.

An update is nearly done! My work has been super busy the last couple weeks, so between going in early and staying late I didn't have the energy to edit video. But I'll have update 13 out Tuesday at the latest.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Lifeline is tough; it's a lot more difficult than the base game - or so it seemed to me, anyway.

Again, I didn't die myself, but I lost an awful lot of AI-controlled survivors. Maybe I'll do better on my second attempt.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Antistar01 posted:

Lifeline is tough; it's a lot more difficult than the base game - or so it seemed to me, anyway.

Again, I didn't die myself, but I lost an awful lot of AI-controlled survivors. Maybe I'll do better on my second attempt.

Without going into detail, it is more difficult than the base game, but it seems that there's a couple good ways to exploit the missions/clock. Also if you have enough influence you can stockpile certain items you wouldn't normally think of stockpiling. :ssh: (You can check the main State of Decay thread if you want to discuss this)

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I saw FAR too many ramps not taken, missy :colbert:

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Shei-kun posted:

I saw FAR too many ramps not taken, missy :colbert:

An adequate amount of grenades is key to taking ramps, and there weren't enough grenades for all of those ramps.

Post-apocalypse Triple-A is just a dude who brings you a spare explosive

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Hello I have an update for you! Be sure and stick around to see this episode's special guest at the tail end of the video!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Eughhhhhhhh that's a hell of a way to introduce the end of episode bumper

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Man that ending sure was a drag.

But I really liked the internal monologue of Dante fuckin' Cervantes. HE should be the new Omar Coranado.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Aw crap, I just realized I missed a chance to call Ed "Ryu Hayadoucha"

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I'm gonna guess that the 'Prop 18 - send more paramedics' sign is a reference to this part of Return of the Living Dead. I haven't actually seen it myself, but I've also read that it's apparently the origin of the whole 'zombies want to eat your brains' thing.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Harvey no! :ohdear:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Antistar01 posted:

I'm gonna guess that the 'Prop 18 - send more paramedics' sign is a reference to this part of Return of the Living Dead. I haven't actually seen it myself, but I've also read that it's apparently the origin of the whole 'zombies want to eat your brains' thing.

Absolutely. I can't tell for sure if the 'Prop 18' part of it is supposed to mean anything, though. A little light googling only yields California Prop 18 of 1958, an early 'right-to-work' amendment that was struck down, and the more relevant but still KIND OF loving REACHING California Prop 18 of 2000, which adds a special circumstance to murder trials if the murderer was 'lying in wait' and/or lured a victim in with false pretenses and/or used kidnapping or arson(???) to transport the victim elsewhere in order to murder them.

SoylentG
Apr 5, 2011
19:26, camera pans briefly across the marquee for Schlozman Drug Store; I believe it's a reference to this guy, who wrote this book.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Thanks for the easter egg assists!

There's some fun mayhem and glitches in this one, and we also see that it's the ladies who get up to all the trouble.

You know, I think it might be about time for survivors to start fending for themselves. I'm not helping you with your little missions any more, folks. Not unless there's something in it for me.

Also from this point on, anyone who complains (regardless of who) is getting invited to leave. I need to return to NO SOFTIES

skoolmunkee fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 18, 2014

Nuckelavee
Feb 25, 2014
For my next trick, watch me turn one Maya in to five Mayas!

Nuckelavee fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Nov 19, 2014

MoadDib
Apr 4, 2009

skoolmunkee posted:

You know, I think it might be about time for survivors to start fending for themselves. I'm not helping you with your little missions any more, folks. Not unless there's something in it for me.

Also from this point on, anyone who complains (regardless of who) is getting invited to leave. I need to return to NO SOFTIES

Oh man, you are gonna run out of survivors fast. With the low morale from losing survivors and all the missions expiring, you're gonna see moods drop like rocks and you're gonna be getting a lot of complainers.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I love the Snyder Warehouse, it's a really good building. So much room to do whatever you want with.

It is a little annoying that even the biggest place in the game can only build half of the buildings available to build, though. It was a weird design choice, I think.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
That grenade launcher sniping was awesome.

Ninjas?! :jihad: I've never called in help from the courthouse like that; I had no idea there were actual ninjas in this game. There's a lot of those radio things I haven't used, come to think of it.

Never seen Becca run off into the wilderness like that, or that teleporting blue-shirted woman, or Lily coast around on her hover-boots either. Lots of weird stuff going on in this episode.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

How appropriate that after the stunning SWAT reveal, you end up facing a sushi bar.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

MoadDib posted:

Oh man, you are gonna run out of survivors fast. With the low morale from losing survivors and all the missions expiring, you're gonna see moods drop like rocks and you're gonna be getting a lot of complainers.

Perfect

gnome7 posted:

I love the Snyder Warehouse, it's a really good building. So much room to do whatever you want with.

It is a little annoying that even the biggest place in the game can only build half of the buildings available to build, though. It was a weird design choice, I think.

I'm pretty sure there's a mod that addresses this. When I'm done with the main game I might fool around a bit with some, if any are show-off-able. I have to show Breakdown and Lifeline too. Lots to show!

Antistar01 posted:

Never seen Becca run off into the wilderness like that, or that teleporting blue-shirted woman, or Lily coast around on her hover-boots either. Lots of weird stuff going on in this episode.

I'm surprised those didn't happen earlier, to be honest. Sometimes a survivor will coast around on hover-boots a good distance across the map, til they hit an obstacle! There's been some weird things that I haven't been able to show, too- either because I wasn't recording at the time or because it would have been too out of place to edit in. Mostly clipping issues, zombies walking through walls and spawning under floors, being stuck on walls and not going into attack mode, etc.

Samovar posted:

How appropriate that after the stunning SWAT reveal, you end up facing a sushi bar.

When you have a wakizashi like Ed, everyplace is a sushi bar.

skoolmunkee fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 18, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I honestly don't understand why you want to play the game badly, Skoolmunkee. I could say a lot of dumb :words: about it, but I was looking forward to an SA LP of this game because people here tend to not be... Terrible at the games they play. If I wanted to watch an LP where everyone dies and stupid mistakes were made constantly, there are hundreds of just-at-release YouTube LPs.

Maybe I am just boring, I also felt bad when you watched Maya get torn in half while laughing and making jokes. It seemed a bit... Excessive at the time.

Edit: by all means run your lp how you want though.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 18, 2014

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

skoolmunkee posted:

Hello I have an update for you! Be sure and stick around to see this episode's special guest at the tail end of the video!

I fell way behind, but in this episode the travel agency advertising Wichita was probably a reference to Emily Stone's character in Zombie Land!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

KittyEmpress posted:

I honestly don't understand why you want to play the game badly, Skoolmunkee. I could say a lot of dumb :words: about it, but I was looking forward to an SA LP of this game because people here tend to not be... Terrible at the games they play. If I wanted to watch an LP where everyone dies and stupid mistakes were made constantly, there are hundreds of just-at-release YouTube LPs.

Maybe I am just boring, I also felt bad when you watched Maya get torn in half while laughing and making jokes. It seemed a bit... Excessive at the time.

i like it when the video game mans fall down

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Thank you Reiner! Zombie land isn't a movie I have much memory of. I'm sure you're right.

KittyEmpress posted:

Haha! Maybe I was just hedging my bets about mistakes....

This is a good discussion point though!

Some of the tension in the game is about messing up though, and how characters perma-die, and when you run out of resources and how goofing off in this sandbox game gets you in trouble. Gotta show some of that! I haven't played that badly, no missions failed or critical community deaths. I won't endanger my ability to beat the game. Plus maybe I've taught watchers a thing or two so they'll play the game well themselves! It's a teaching LP.

Nah mostly I just thought it might get boring if everything was done right all the time "and then nothing interesting happened"

Don't worry though, breakdown is all about being as good as you can and lasting as long as you can and performing all kinds of tasks to unlock things. And lifeline is punishing to careless players. Over Christmas I was gonna do some DLC recording.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
This game wants us to have a Maya.

Every time we lose one, two more appear.

She's like a hydra or something.

OR MAYBE THE TWO HALVES REGENERATE INTO THEIR OWN MAYAS.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Shei-kun posted:

So what you're saying is she's actually undergoing Maya-tosis, then?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

or is perhaps some sort of maydra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Shei-kun posted:

We had two too many Mayas. It was really tearing them apart.

• Locked thread