Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

salty fish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Arcade posted:

salty fish

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Arcade posted:

salty goons

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
heh

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Syria

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers
girlfriends

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MY GIRLFRIEND

ragnoxiii
Aug 24, 2006

stop, you're triggering me, please think about the Syrians.

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

ragnoxiii posted:

stop, you're triggering me, please think about the Syrians.

staaahp, you're trivializing actual world issues, you're not going to win over this crowd.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Arcade posted:

staaahp, you're trivializing actual world issues, you're not going to win over this crowd.

Petulant manchild.

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Velthice posted:

Petulant manchild.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Which one of you Wicked girl-havers is this? Fess up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KL51GDdVzU

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Bait and Swatch posted:

Which one of you Wicked girl-havers is this? Fess up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KL51GDdVzU

You, sir, just won the crowd over.

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

All these posts and not one word about the greatest content to ever hit the Korean version yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVCnig6UdAk

You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Wonder Turbine posted:

All these posts and not one word about the greatest content to ever hit the Korean version yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVCnig6UdAk

You should all be ashamed of yourselves.
How many thunderstruck trees does it take to make that yellow dick-butt thing?

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

InternetJunky posted:

How many thunderstruck trees does it take to make that yellow dick-butt thing?

First, what in the gently caress, Korea.

Also, ha ha on you if you think that poo poo is anything but a cash shop purchase!

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I want a firefly glider, trion

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Arcade posted:

salty biscuit

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Axel Serenity posted:

I want a firefly glider, trion

I want to be able to do something, anything really without being randomly disconnected. It's annoying when it happens while I'm farming, frustrating if it happens while I'm doing something that requires combat and just pissing me off when I'm doing trade runs to the point where I'm constantly mashing r and hoping I can get back in before owner's mark wears off. I'm fairly sure it's loving Hackshield since it only started up after they "fixed" that piece of poo poo.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
I stole about 70 logs from unprotected trees. Omw to a harpoon clipper.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Morglon posted:

I want to be able to do something, anything really without being randomly disconnected. It's annoying when it happens while I'm farming, frustrating if it happens while I'm doing something that requires combat and just pissing me off when I'm doing trade runs to the point where I'm constantly mashing r and hoping I can get back in before owner's mark wears off. I'm fairly sure it's loving Hackshield since it only started up after they "fixed" that piece of poo poo.

Did you uh... modify your client? I had this happen and it didn't stop until I reverted it.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

Morglon posted:

Same happens to me. It is annoying as gently caress. Even when I lowered my settings and had 8 extra gigs of RAM it still does this to me.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

LegionAreI posted:

Did you uh... modify your client? I had this happen and it didn't stop until I reverted it.

I'm running the vanilla client with the borderless window thing that was even endorsed by their community manager and doesn't modify any game files.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

I have been posting it in here, but this would be a general hacking thread. I have done it in tons of other games like MWO, TF2, WoW, FFXIV, Wildstar, War Thunder, World of Tanks, BF1-4. I know im not the only goon doing it and people are frequently PMing me about more info.

As soon as I get mod approval, i will start working on an OP.
MMOHMO seems most on topic, but imp zone is probably most appropriate since I know its going to be trolled and shitposted by lots of angry goons

Please do this as it will give something to read while wasting my day at work.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

CappyBottoms posted:

Please do this as it will give something to read while wasting my day at work.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3682219

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Alright,im taking a break for awhile. Anyone want a free cottage in windscour?

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Ghetto Prince posted:

Alright,im taking a break for awhile. Anyone want a free cottage in windscour?

I'll take it. I have a friend who has been trying to get anything larger than an 8x8 for weeks. I'm Swatch in game, but won't be on until about 4 Pacific time.

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
Been having a lot of success catching pokemon. poo poo's fun, my ability to heal is sorely tested but it's basically right at the level where it's a legitimate challenge. They almost all deal sick AOE so it's not about having a main tank or anything, it's about keeping up with antithesis with big Mends to keep up.

Also I get to yell at goons for having an irrational desire to run away from their source of heals and dying horribly 50m away. Why people think that glidering away from me is a good way to live I'll never understand, lol.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
the game is dead balista

just let it go

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Is there currently a "best resource" for this game? (think wowhead etc for wow)

Specifically, I'd like to find different builds for different classes.

I hit 50 on my Paladin (Battlerage, Defense, Vitalism) and while I'm usually successful in pvp and pve, I'm having a difficult time working out a good build (or two) to stick with.

Most of my time in PvP is spent healing, and the most of my time in PvE is spent tanking.

I usually swing a club for the +healing and wear plate.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
http://arche-base.com/builds/search

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Is there currently a "best resource" for this game? (think wowhead etc for wow)

Specifically, I'd like to find different builds for different classes.

I hit 50 on my Paladin (Battlerage, Defense, Vitalism) and while I'm usually successful in pvp and pve, I'm having a difficult time working out a good build (or two) to stick with.

Most of my time in PvP is spent healing, and the most of my time in PvE is spent tanking.

I usually swing a club for the +healing and wear plate.

Start leveling other skillsets. Paladins won't be able to excel at either healing or tanking. If you level Auramancy, you could roll between Templar(heals) and Abolisher(tank) which are great at what they do. Templar's are crazy good at staying alive, since you will be focused in group pvp. Abolisher is the go to tank for PVE.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Templars make amazing tanks too, just spec into mostly instants and poo poo that reduces cast time. You won't be doing any appreciable damage but you can tank and heal at the same time, with the right gear maybe even fill both roles in instances, leaving and extra spot for someone to actually do damage. Or at least that's the idea. Paladin seems terrible though, go Abolisher or Blighter.

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012

Khako posted:

Start leveling other skillsets. Paladins won't be able to excel at either healing or tanking. If you level Auramancy, you could roll between Templar(heals) and Abolisher(tank) which are great at what they do. Templar's are crazy good at staying alive, since you will be focused in group pvp. Abolisher is the go to tank for PVE.

Small disclaimer here that weaponswap Paladins have some real troll potential in 1v1 pvp - you can fight competently enough with Battlerage and Defense, and when you get low you swap to a greatclub, blow Fervent Healing all over your face, then swap back to your real weapon and finish them off. Rolling into a fight with Renewal, Resurgence, and Mirror Light prerolling is also surprisingly strong. (I wouldn't dare suggest casting Renewal midfight but cast as a prefight buff it's one of those "might as well" things.)

Also, despite being completely incapable of dealing magic damage or healing without the appropriate weapon, magic attack and healing power weapons still do a decent amount of physical dps. You can absolutely have some success without weapon swapping in small group pvp. I've done Soothsayer (Shadowplay/Auramancy/Vitalism) before, and I deal some actual, noticeable dps with my Shadowsmites and Overwhelms despite wielding a greatclub as opposed to a greataxe or sword. Not as much, mind you, but enough that I feel it's worth investing the point. The more important part is landing the shackle/trip but the damage is certainly non-negligible.

But yeah, if you want to be a serious healer, you have to have Auramancy+Vitalism for the combos. Templars tank a couple of world bosses that can't be damaged normally (Kraken and I believe Leviathan in Korea), but there's simply no way you can generate enough threat with it to main tank most PVE content. However, they're absolutely maddening to deal with in PVP - a healer with Redoubt AND Shrug It Off can absolutely facetank a Darkrunner assassination attempt, and barring that he pops invulnerability and gets picked up by the other healer in the group. Not to mention the combination of Stone cloth armor and a shield gives them an incredible amount of pDef and mDef combined.

If you want to be a serious tank, you have to have Defense+Auramancy for the combos. Then you need your third tree to deal actual dps. Most enemies in this game are melee, so Archery is out for the -20% damage reduction. Many of them move, so Sorcery is out for having most their relevant abilites require inductions. That leaves Battlerage, and bam, you're an Abolisher. and just in case process of elimination wasn't enough for you, they get Deflect and Retaliate and Battle Focus for huge amounts of parry chance to mitigate even more damage, as well as tripspam that makes blowing through trash mobs a joke - in GHA a good Abolisher makes it so that I as the healer can whip out a staff and spam Critical Discord to speed up the run instead, because I literally won't have to heal them once. (They'll take a little amount of damage, but they probably won't drop to <60-70% hp before everything's dead, and they'll be tanky enough that should they take more damage than that I'll have time to weaponswap back to the club, burst them to full, then whip out the staff again.)

Morglon posted:

Templars make amazing tanks too, just spec into mostly instants and poo poo that reduces cast time. You won't be doing any appreciable damage but you can tank and heal at the same time, with the right gear maybe even fill both roles in instances, leaving and extra spot for someone to actually do damage. Or at least that's the idea. Paladin seems terrible though, go Abolisher or Blighter.

As someone who as attempted to do this in GHA (bring 1 combined tank+healer and 4 dps), I'll say that if your dps has any gear and sense at all, you won't be able to hold threat in any dungeon I've tried. Even with the 50% extra threat generation, it's simply not enough to pull threat away from similarly geared DPS. "Spec mostly into instants" doesn't make the slightest bit of sense given that there's only one main heal (Antithesis). That being said, I can pull and hold threat against some world bosses who spam BS raid damage abilities WITHOUT the 50% threat generation passive, so maybe I'll need to look into that.

Note that you don't actually NEED to hold threat for GHA. "GHA" can be reduced to all the trash you kill to look for the belts and bracers, since almost every boss can be killed via LOS/autoattacking through doors cheese, so you can bring 4 dps + 1 healer, and even then the healer can focus on doing dps on most of the trash if your long-duration CC is up to snuff. I know that Calleil and both Godzillas can be done this way, and Snake and Topman have mechanics that make a "main" tank basically irrelevant anyways, so really your ideal party is 4 dps + 1 main healer anyways.

balistafreak fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 20, 2014

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

Khako posted:

I'm just going to have to disagree with part of this. You are absolutely correct about Paladins never going to be a primary healer, that's just a fact. I also don't want to.

However when it comes to tanking (the main thing I want to do) I've had nothing but what I would call success. Granted so far the hardest thing I've tanked is GHA (non-bugged, I wanted to see if I could do it) and whenever I ask a healer how I'm doing the answer ranges from "better than average," to "incredible." I should mention that I have no more than 4 points in Vitalism at any given time, and when I'm specifically PvE tanking I usually only have 3, the rest are in Battlerage and Defense. Mostly I just keep Mirror Light on myself and 1-2 others when I have the GCDs to spare and roll Resurgence on myself and/or around the party.

I have very little trouble holding threat, I started being able to out-threat level 50s at about level 47 in regular HA, and so far at 50 no one has managed to peel any mobs off of me that I've been trying to hold.

As for PvP I don't really seek it out, but when it does happen I'm pretty confident in saying that I win around 50% of 1v1s simply because no one really knows how to deal with someone that can heal themselves. People typically come in and knock me down to 50% with their first round of attacks and then I stun them and heal up and most people apparently don't know how to respond after that. I think they're caught off guard when the fight doesn't end in the first 5-10 seconds, because pretty much the longer a fight goes on the more likely I am to win it. At level 38 I killed a level 50 (some dual-wield melee, I didn't check his trees) in a 1v1 that took almost five minutes.

In group PvP (I don't do arenas, so it's mostly guild trade runs and high-seas/Freedich mass pvp) I stand in the back and roll as many HoTs as I can (which it turns out is a lot) on people in the raid until someone finally attacks me. Usually it's some sort of archer who gets a very nasty surprise when he finds out that I'm not actually a healer.

edit: took too long to type this I guess:

I'm also going to say that on a near daily basis I take myself and the first 4 warm bodies I can get to answer in gchat on bugged GHA runs where no one dies and it's rare for anyone to fall below 50% health. Yes, it's sort of a pain to tank and heal at the same time, but with a bit of clever taunt use and using invincibility for just long enough to let my heals cool down has proven to be incredibly effective.

And, for the record, there's a bug for literally every boss in GHA except that guy who does that bullshit spinning fireball thing that reduces them to youtube breaks in your gameplay. That fireball guy is still a joke but you can't actually alt-tab or you'll die.

edit 2, electric boogaloo:

I should probably mention that I make a career out of playing games "wrong." in WoW when then WotLK came out I played a dual-wield frost spec deathknight tank with enough success that I ended up being the main tank for my entire guild all the way through the bug boss under the arena in the argent tourney; and I only stopped there because my guild broke up due to drama and I quit the game after declining an invitation to the "best" guild on my server.

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 20, 2014

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

balistafreak posted:

Lots of words
Yeah I disagree with a bunch of those, I still firmly believe that a Templar can tank regular dungeons especially if your DPS are as good as you claim just through taunt and CC and as you said no need for a tank or healer anyway so you might as well have one hybrid to fill both roles and chip in where necessary and I also disagree that you need Auramancy to tank, a Blighter for example can tank physical damage just as well as an Abolisher, has more CC and on top of that can push some amazing burst damage.

It very much depends on the group though and there is a reason I'm not Templar tanking like in alpha.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

Tactical Bonnet posted:

And, for the record, there's a bug for literally every boss in GHA except that guy who does that bullshit spinning fireball thing that reduces them to youtube breaks in your gameplay. That fireball guy is still a joke but you can't actually alt-tab or you'll die.

If you use play song during the fireball you won't take any damage. Not that it's hard to get frozen or use wings but it's a bug and it makes the fight even easier.

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61

You asked for different builds, we're gonna disagree forever on paladins being good tanks though. If all you do is random trade run pvp, then I wouldn't worry about being the best build and do what you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im gonna ask for different builds then explain why ive done the exact build im already doing

• Locked thread