Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

People zombifying in weird places without us knowing what happened is one of the fun creepy parts of the show, of course people here want it explained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Surlaw posted:

People zombifying in weird places without us knowing what happened is one of the fun creepy parts of the show, of course people here want it explained.

A huge chunk of how the horror genre is perpetuated is in the mystery and omission via timing, information, lighting (!!!!). I think the haters just don't get that.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

You know this is a pretty out there theory I've got but I'm just gonna lay it all on the table: I think the bloody bullet-holes in the sleeping bags might have something to do with it.

Didn't see those.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

It was good. I liked it.

But I constantly have to remind myself that this a TV show and if everybody in the show did everything smart then we wouldn't have much of a tv show.

Ehhh, no. This is a product written by people. They can make people incredibly smart and create tangible danger at the same time despite them. Instead of Bob investigating the bubble in the water, maybe he decides to stay far away from it. Which then leads him smack into another Zombie. You see? He did a smart thing, and also got punished for it. It's not hard. You play with the audience expectations.

Instead of people saying "Pff, I'd never do that! I would've done the opposite!" have the character do the opposite and then something terrible happens to them. That would be scary, because if that was you, you'd be dead or whatever.

It's why I liked the interaction with Carol and Daryl about killing that kid. Both sides make perfect sense. Don't know where I'd stand there. It was a nice little piece of conflicting ideology.

Also, doing an episode about a zombie's life wouldn't be a bad thing. It would be a nice break up from the story line, but it would have to be done early in the season. Any time after that it would feel tedious and dumb. Although, I think we're way too late on doing stuff like that, so I would say that boat has been missed.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

I definitely thought some sexy action was going down on those bunk beds.

Also, I thought for sure when the zombie fell on top of Carol they were going to show that it had gotten blood in her open wound. Not sure if that's actually established as a way to get infected though.

Carol loving Daryl in an abuse shelter she used to escape her husband would have trumped van physics IMO

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CelticPredator posted:

Also, doing an episode about a zombie's life wouldn't be a bad thing. It would be a nice break up from the story line, but it would have to be done early in the season. Any time after that it would feel tedious and dumb. Although, I think we're way too late on doing stuff like that, so I would say that boat has been missed.

Seeing a quick progression of some rando going from pre- to post-apocalypse, to dramatic adventures and narrowly escaping death numerous times, to being killed and turned into a zombie, to an ending with Rick unceremoniously knifing them in the head would be a pretty fun opening imo

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Parity warning posted:

Seeing a quick progression of some rando going from pre- to post-apocalypse, to dramatic adventures and narrowly escaping death numerous times, to being killed and turned into a zombie, to an ending with Rick unceremoniously knifing them in the head would be a pretty fun opening imo

You pretty much described the intro to Lord of War, but with zombies.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

What does the "racist stereotypes" in the thread title refer to? Other than black highlander, I haven't noticed anything too offensive.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Parity warning posted:

This would own. It would be cool if it'd all be in first person.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Parity warning posted:

It really would. It would change up the forumla, and even make you slightly, ever so slightly sympathetic to the zombies.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

It really would. It would change up the forumla, and even make you slightly, ever so slightly sympathetic to the zombies.

I love it when they did this kind of stuff with the feral ghouls in Fallout. See them with teddy bears and stuff.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I want to see more soldier or riot cop zombies with helmets who cant be easily knifed.

or like an entire pro football team in full gear.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

unlimited shrimp posted:

I want to see more soldier or riot cop zombies with helmets who cant be easily knifed.

or like an entire pro football team in full gear.

I thnk that skirts the edge of believability since they'd have to be in whatever state they were in when they died, and I think being in full riot gear is easily believable but being in football gear...idk probably not. My personal opinion anyway

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

GrAviTy84 posted:

I love it when they did this kind of stuff with the feral ghouls in Fallout. See them with teddy bears and stuff.
That just makes me wish that AMC made Fallout the Series instead of the Walking Dead; then again I'm not really a fan of post-apocalypse stuff, I'm more of a post-post apocalypse fan where societies have already formed and are in no danger of collapsing due to incompetence.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

That just makes me wish that AMC made Fallout the Series instead of the Walking Dead; then again I'm not really a fan of post-apocalypse stuff, I'm more of a post-post apocalypse fan where societies have already formed and are in no danger of collapsing due to incompetence.

You mean like the Hunger Games?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

GrAviTy84 posted:

You mean like the Hunger Games?
Eh I'm not into that kind of dystopia though, stuff like Fallout New Vegas really did a good job at selling how all these factions were successful in their own ways, though then again there are a lot of factors in that game where you can see some of these factions collapsing pretty fast if you kill their leader.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

If they stay the course of the comic books we'll be encountering a more stable community soon

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Parity warning posted:

This was going to be the first episode of the second season until Darabont was hosed over and fired. We would've followed the soldier Rick found in the tank as he was running through the city trying to save people, eventually getting bit and crawling into the tank so he wouldn't hurt anyone when he turned. It's why Sam Witwer was cast as such a tiny role.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
It's good to see someone's still mowing the lawns in that flashback where Carol leaves Rick.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

CelticPredator posted:

She should've been driving that van and been a villain on Big G's side. That would've been dope.

You know we never actually watched her die.

euphronius posted:

Magical van is the new jumping the shark.

It teleported, much like a zombie.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 19, 2014

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

spankmeister posted:

This would own. It would be cool if it'd all be in first person.

I was thinking something more along the lines of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBQ-IoHfimQ

moths
Aug 25, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

the comic books

Didn't Noah say that his uncle runs the Alexandria Safe Zone?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

This was going to be the first episode of the second season until Darabont was hosed over and fired. We would've followed the soldier Rick found in the tank as he was running through the city trying to save people, eventually getting bit and crawling into the tank so he wouldn't hurt anyone when he turned. It's why Sam Witwer was cast as such a tiny role.

drat that would've been awesome

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Didn't that get turned into a webseries / DVD extra?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

moths posted:

Didn't Noah say that his uncle runs the Alexandria Safe Zone?

similar. He said Richmond which as he described had a lot of similarities.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah my new strategy for making it through this show involves a lot of fast forwarding. The pacing is really really bad. The one group per episode thing is not working in their favor. They did not have 50 minutes of material between driving to Atlanta and carol getting hit, but boy did they wish they did.

Wyatt Derp
Jul 9, 2014

Blue Lives matter
Honestly I am tired of carol and want to see her dead.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
So I get the hospital thing but why were there polar bear skeletons in the desert?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

fleshweasel posted:

Yeah my new strategy for making it through this show involves a lot of fast forwarding. The pacing is really really bad. The one group per episode thing is not working in their favor. They did not have 50 minutes of material between driving to Atlanta and carol getting hit, but boy did they wish they did.

It's even more fun to not watch the show at all.

Wyatt Derp
Jul 9, 2014

Blue Lives matter
The season began wonderfully, then somehow slipped and fell into a boring blackhole of flashbacks and bullshit! The last two episodes will have to be stellar in order to salvage the season.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

fleshweasel posted:

Yeah my new strategy for making it through this show involves a lot of fast forwarding.

I hope everyone remembers this if you come back here with dumb questions or observations about things easily answered by, you know, watching the show.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't understand why it's impossible to have a full season of plot, other shows manage to do it.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
My new viewing plan is to watch the opening, and the last 5 minutes, gently caress the rest.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I like how every episode is just a black screen where Eugene occasionally moans now, this is the Plot I've been waiting for.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

moths posted:

What does the "racist stereotypes" in the thread title refer to? Other than black highlander, I haven't noticed anything too offensive.

Two white rednecks went to Atlanta and got robbed at gunpoint downtown by a black man who smokes Menthols.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GrAviTy84 posted:

I thnk that skirts the edge of believability since they'd have to be in whatever state they were in when they died, and I think being in full riot gear is easily believable but being in football gear...idk probably not. My personal opinion anyway

Well I'd think more dudes would be doing football gear armor, ala The Road Warrior. It was kinda practical there to offer limited protection against slings and arrows but it'd be utterly awesome against zombies. Surprised more survivors aren't wearing at least partial armor stuff.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't understand why it's impossible to have a full season of plot, other shows manage to do it.

It's actually really difficult and gets boring if a show attempts to have all plot, all the time. Viewers expect, and need, filler episodes.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

precision posted:

Two white rednecks went to Atlanta and got robbed at gunpoint downtown by a black man who smokes Menthols.

As a poor white man from the south, let me interject that we also smoke menthols.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wandle Cax posted:

It's actually really difficult and gets boring if a show attempts to have all plot, all the time. Viewers expect, and need, filler episodes.

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Think, Rixty Minutes.

• Locked thread