Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
A good GM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

loving burn it to the ground. Goddamn amateurs don't know how to food cost.

Yeah the owners have only ever run bars before, not gastropubs. (edit: i hate the word gastropub)

PS: they found the glitch. Food cost is actually at 33%. there were a few big invoices from Cash and Carry that had durable goods and a lot of our opening canned product on it so that was skewing the numbers. our numbers guy is an idiot, but crisis averted

Radio Help fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 18, 2014

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Radio Help posted:

Food cost is actually at 33%.

Not terrible, but still too high, Should be 28-30% if they actually want to end up making money on the food side.

Fun fact: my food cost for the year is too low, 29%, we're budgeted at 30.05%, if we don't spend ~$100k on what the gently caress ever in the next month, I'll get budgeted at ~29.5% for next year. So we bought some white truffles today, who knows what expensive poo poo we'll buy tomorrow!

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 18, 2014

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Not terrible, but still too high, Should be 28-30% if they actually want to end up making money on the food side.

Fun fact: my food cost for the year is too low, 29%, we're budgeted at 30.05%, if we don't spend ~$100k on what the gently caress ever in the next month, I'll get budgeted at ~29.5% for next year. So we bought some white truffles today, who knows what expensive poo poo we'll buy tomorrow!

Saffron aioli with every order of fries.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Kobe ribeye for staff meal everyday

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Quail egg omlettes, 10 eggs per.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!
Garnish everything with a chiffonade of C-notes or just buy a fuckton of expensive olive oils and vinegars and poo poo that you wouldn't normally buy but can always use.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah the oil and vinegar suggestion is actually good.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Kenning posted:

Quail egg omlettes, 10 eggs per.
Quail eggs are still like dirt cheap though.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Hauki posted:

Quail aren't though! Just start buying cases of whole quail.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
run some lamb rack specials

deepfry in pinenut oil for a week

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Free crystal wine glasses with every beer.

Engraved ones at that.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Hauki posted:

Emu it is, then :twisted:

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Willie Tomg posted:

Just go Tudor and make peacock.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Willie Tomg posted:

Not endangered enough.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Something fried on your menu is now confit, properly, with the best duck fat you can find.

And then fried in pure truffle oil.

And garnished with saffron.

There, I fixed it for you.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Like the man said, fill that goddamn fryer full of duck fat and put everything else in the store into it. French place here used to do that on Friday nights, and duck fat frites are the poo poo.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Now I want duck fat spring rolls.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

work photodump

I forgot to take pictures of hot food and desserts, was our most important tasting of the year, the actual party is 200-250k in F&B sales.

e: bonus, whole iberico ham(minus the bit I sliced, and let me tell you what $600 in ham tastes like)

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 22, 2014

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I'm sure you all have heard countless people complain about the gluten thing but I just had to rant.

Lady came in to our Korean/Japanese restaurant today and asked for gluten free. I asked if she was celiac, which she of course said I don't know what that is. So I told her then gluten doesn't matter.

This happened after she came in a couple days ago and ordered fried rice and then asked for gluten free soy sauce.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

goodness posted:

I'm sure you all have heard countless people complain about the gluten thing but I just had to rant.

Lady came in to our Korean/Japanese restaurant today and asked for gluten free. I asked if she was celiac, which she of course said I don't know what that is. So I told her then gluten doesn't matter.

This happened after she came in a couple days ago and ordered fried rice and then asked for gluten free soy sauce.

Just throw her out.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Just throw her out.

I wish I had the power

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

goodness posted:

I wish I had the power

the only way you can deal with food allergies like that is to take them ultra seriously. IE, I think we fry gluten in our deep frier, so you can't have anything that is fried for liability reasons, and also any prep item that could have possibly been in the vicinity of gluten is immediately ruled out.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That's what I do. If someone wants to tell me they're gluten free they're going to have to then either forgo the (fantastic) fried new potatoes, or admit that their poo poo doesn't matter.

Actual celiac sufferers are unfailingly polite and grateful for our accommodations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
We had a sign on the door at the bakery that was essentially 'Warning, airbourne flour. Do not enter if you suffer from gluten allergies.'

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
This has come up ITT before but basically celiac isn't the only gluten-related legit problem out there (legit meaning documented medical issue as opposed to fad diet idiocy). Arthritis and Guillain-Barre, for examples.

"If it's not celiac who cares" is a good way to gently caress someone and probably get hosed yourself.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Just go Tudor and make peacock.

The farm I live on has peacocks and a few people have admitted to killing and eating one. No one really liked it though.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Splizwarf posted:

This has come up ITT before but basically celiac isn't the only gluten-related legit problem out there (legit meaning documented medical issue as opposed to fad diet idiocy). Arthritis and Guillain-Barre, for examples.

"If it's not celiac who cares" is a good way to gently caress someone and probably get hosed yourself.

When people come into an asian restaurant and want gluten free, they already a hosed up. Especially when they order fried rice or noodles and then ask for gluten freed soy sauce. gently caress those people. It's a fad.

People that actually have a problem cook for themselves because they don't want to put their life in some dumb teenagers hands

If you can't tell me what gluten is, then it does not affect you.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The point is that people with meaningful medical issues tend to be polite, knowledgeable about what in fact contains gluten, and consistent in their needs.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Kenning posted:

The point is that people with meaningful medical issues tend to be polite, knowledgeable about what in fact contains gluten, and consistent in their needs.

Exactly, those people already know and don't need to ask a million questions to know what has gluten and what doesn't.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
"Hi, I'd like the organic vegan cheese steak on gluten free organic vegan whole-wheat with gluten free organic onions and peppers. Oh, and mayo, Hellman's is fine, thanks."

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

bunnielab posted:

The farm I live on has peacocks and a few people have admitted to killing and eating one. No one really liked it though.

I had peacock, it was gamey yeah but it wasn't terrible, I actually didn't mind it. But no, Peacock was about pageantry rather than taste

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Kenning posted:

This. I had friends growing up with severe nut allergies, and a cousin with celiacs. They just want to go out with family or friends, not die (or feel like poo poo the next week), and have everyone else's night go well, including the servers. A night without the epipen coming out of the pocket book is a good night.

This is also how I learned how to eat EVERYTHING. My friends would go, "Hey, that looks good! Wow. I wish I could have that. Try it and see if we can develop a nut-free version at home in our mad scientist kitchen your parents let us use".

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 23, 2014

slimskinny
Apr 2, 2005

One cool taco...
Sup? Any suggestions on how to strain 10 gallons of milk that i cultured to yogurt? Ends up being 1 part yogurt 3 parts whey.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

slimskinny posted:

Sup? Any suggestions on how to strain 10 gallons of milk that i cultured to yogurt? Ends up being 1 part yogurt 3 parts whey.

Layers of cheesecloth in a large colander?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I'm gonna collate all my family meal/leftover surprise munchies, wraps, apps and plates and use them to open a pan-ethnic food truck called The Jewish Mother where all the names of the food are incredibly cryptic and never described beyond "You'll like it, its great!" unless its vegetarian in which case "ITS GOOD FOR YOU, EAT IT!"

Employees will be instructed to meet all orders below ten dollars with a minimum twenty seconds heckling along the lines of "Look at you, you're skin and bones! I worry! How are you going to meet a nice girl/boy and settle down without a good meal in you? Here's a ramekin of broth, you give it a smell, you're gonna get hungry, I've seen this, I know this."

slimskinny
Apr 2, 2005

One cool taco...

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Layers of cheesecloth in a large colander?

I'm trying to do that per week. And it takes 12 hours in the circulator, 8 at room temp. Then i chill, then i strain, which takes like 24 hours. I need something more commercial but don't know where to look

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Food grade plastic mesh in perf pans would probably work.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Willie Tomg posted:

I'm gonna collate all my family meal/leftover surprise munchies, wraps, apps and plates and use them to open a pan-ethnic food truck called The Jewish Mother where all the names of the food are incredibly cryptic and never described beyond "You'll like it, its great!" unless its vegetarian in which case "ITS GOOD FOR YOU, EAT IT!"

Employees will be instructed to meet all orders below ten dollars with a minimum twenty seconds heckling along the lines of "Look at you, you're skin and bones! I worry! How are you going to meet a nice girl/boy and settle down without a good meal in you? Here's a ramekin of broth, you give it a smell, you're gonna get hungry, I've seen this, I know this."

bonus points if the "employees" are just an app on an ipad embedded in the table that literally wont let you complete your order and will repeat said random soundbytes again and again until the order is over $10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Suspect Bucket posted:

This. I had friends growing up with severe nut allergies, and a cousin with celiacs. They just want to go out with family or friends, not die (or feel like poo poo the next week), and have everyone else's night go well, including the servers. A night without the epipen coming out of the pocket book is a good night.

This is also how I learned how to eat EVERYTHING. My friends would go, "Hey, that looks good! Wow. I wish I could have that. Try it and see if we can develop a nut-free version at home in our mad scientist kitchen your parents let us use".

I was that guy with allergies until I grew out of them in my later teenage years. Suddenly being able to eat all these foods that before would make me blow up in hives was the greatest liberating feeling in my entire life. It also led to me becoming somewhat of a fat rear end in college.

I'm going to have nightmares about this last Saturday's dinner service. We had 2 cocktail parties of 60+, 2 sit down dinners for 50+, and a full dining room. I had to hand off running one of the dinners to expedite in the kitchen because poo poo was dying in the window, I yelled so much that the FoH hates me now but the BoH bought me drinks after.

• Locked thread