Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
There's already a rule against slow play, and I imagine he was assigning his dials and executing maneuvers quite quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Actually you'll find that in popular televised games, delay of game is a sweet and expected penalty. So really the problem here is delay of game should be implemented for next year.

Fortressing wouldn't be delay of game, it would be running down the clock when you're ahead. Big big difference there.

I agree I don't want the meta to become Fortress heavy, but making up a rule in the middle of a match at a major tournament because you don't like how the match is being played is incredibly problematic.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

But, Hsu wasn't ahead in the game. Running down the clock when ahead is fine by me in any timed game. That's practically how Han lists usually win.

The question is if being behind in the game and running down the clock for a chance at winning the game with a snipe is considered legitimate.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Chill la Chill posted:

But, Hsu wasn't ahead in the game. Running down the clock when ahead is fine by me in any timed game. That's practically how Han lists usually win.

The question is if being behind in the game and running down the clock for a chance at winning the game with a snipe is considered legitimate.

Speaking as someone who organizes and runs events for game tournaments frequently, I don't think there is a perfect solution. You can't make a set of rules to force players to "not act like a dick, because what is and isn't a "dick move" isn't something you'll get 100% agreement on among all players.

FFG really ought to give TOs the ability to judge (and potentially be responsible for those judgments) on what is considered "unsportsmanlike." Hsu's demeanor may have really been what aggravated the situation, but honestly I don't think there's an elegant way to prevent fortressing.

Th nature of the tactic is also being glossed over, IMO. That game could have just as easily gone the other way, and he would have been seen as a fool who got to worlds just to gently caress with someone. Alternatively, the opponnt could have easily taken his ball and gone to a corner, and let initiative win the match for them.

Again, Hsu's attitude is not being defended here. His tactics were silly, and only won by random chance, really. Who would rely on a late game snipe to carry them?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

FFGs official Judge program, along with floor rules, will help a lot in stuff like this. Right now almost everything comes down to a judgement call on the spot. Some kind of unified, detailed document that sets a standard is coming, but maybe not soon enough.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

current co-designer weighs in on "fortressing" lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e3xbOyUDbw

around 10:00 minutes

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I really want to see those lists that he was excited about.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Nope it's absolutely the right of high-level players to game the game, no issue here.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Tried that Rymer list with two APT and went against a 2400/1300 list and I actually managed to win, against expectations. I took out the YT 1300 early, lost the shuttle then go lucky and plinked the YT-2400 to death after using up most of my missiles/torps. List was fun to fly but if I faced anything that wasn't big ships and could actually arc dodge it wouldn't survive long.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
So I wound up dragging my friend into this game and so far I'm having a blast with it. Having dealt with some frustration trying to find some wave 1-3 pieces online I found that Barnes & Noble of all places is an awesome place to find rare models. Just go here http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/?publisher_id=1001563838 and find the model you're looking for then select "Pick Up In Store", enter your zip code and get a list of local stores with it in stock. B&N sells blisters for $14.99 and large ships/aces packs for $29.99. I managed to grab a B-Wing, A-wing, Y-Wing, Interceptor, Advanced, and even a Falcon and Slave-1 off the shelf. If I were inclined to do such things I'd grab rares at local shops and resell on ebay to break even on this hobby.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Actually bought an Assault Gunboat from shapeways, gonna have to paint it but I can't wait for it to get here.

EDIT: Oh my goooooood: http://www.shapeways.com/model/1056361/tie-avenger-1-270.html?materialId=61 :swoon:

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Nov 16, 2014

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
are we still critiquing goofball lists?

this one's based on always firing with TLs:

and this one, I just wanted to fly a bitchin defender:

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
Can anyone recommend a particularly good 36"x36" square playmat for X-wing? I've been scouring the internet for options but there isn't a lot in the way of user reviews to tell the wheat from the chaff.

Hotzmats makes a felt starfield, but I worry about stretching/flexing due to it being fabric. Applied Perspective has a pricier vinyl option which might do the trick, along with some fly looking custom tokens. There's also an adhesive mat by Pixerstick for around the same cost that looks lovely.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Hotzmat works fine but that guy is really loving slow. There is one made from like... Rubber grip stuff that is excellent. Can't remember the name.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Obama 2012 posted:

Can anyone recommend a particularly good 36"x36" square playmat for X-wing? I've been scouring the internet for options but there isn't a lot in the way of user reviews to tell the wheat from the chaff.

Hotzmats makes a felt starfield, but I worry about stretching/flexing due to it being fabric. Applied Perspective has a pricier vinyl option which might do the trick, along with some fly looking custom tokens. There's also an adhesive mat by Pixerstick for around the same cost that looks lovely.

http://www.ds-tone.com/products/

I have the Elephant Trunk Nebula and it's pretty awesome. I don't have much to compare it to but it's pretty tough and the bases don't slide around too much.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Obama 2012 posted:

What is your budget? If you can blow 60 on it I highly recommend inkedplaymats.com and handpicking your own art.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
I've got one of the HCD starfield mats and like it. I love Applied's tokens and templates, but not a big fan of their vinyl mats.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I followed the advice of someone on here and had a cheap square PVC banner printed with a cool background from the hubble images.

I've really enjoyed playing imperials so far, kinda had my hand forced when my usual opponent bought me a phantom for my birthday. He also exclusively plays rebels. Don't know how to expand, only have 3 TIEs, a Phantom and a Firespray. Might be able to afford something end of the month, Decimator is tempting me as is the Lambda but I also think I should get another TIE or maybe even two to make a small swarm.

On the other hand I finally picked up a Y-wing. I'm sure there's a good XXY list to be made but I can't quite get my head around it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I would get at least one TIE Interceptor for Soontir, he's extremely good and fits into many lists quite well. Imperial Aces is nice after that but not strictly speaking a must buy, because Soontir gets a lot of work done by himself anyway. I personally like Shuttles as well, and they have quite a few ways to customize them.

I've played against the Decimator and would be interested in hearing people's thoughts. There seem to be some configuration that work extremely well for it, but I've also seen it get absolutely destroyed against certain lists. I can't see it doing very well against swarms, for example, especially since the base ship itself is already quite expensive.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'd get an Interceptor and an extra TIE Fighter - 4x Academy fits in a lot of lists. You already have the Firespray, which is a great ship.

Imperial Aces is something you should only care about if you plan on going to tournaments and absolutely need Royal Guard TIE/Targeting Computer/Hull Upgrade cards for your list to be tournament-legal. Carnor Jax is great, but none of the other pilots are worth using over Soontir Fel and you'll rarely ever put more than one Interceptor in a list. Also, while the 181st Interceptor repaint is nice, you can do the same yourself with masking tape and some red paint.

After that, you have a couple of choices: the Defender is an interesting ship (although the version FFG picked for their model is butt-ugly) that's a little hard to fit into a list not built around it, but makes for a good HLC platform. The Shuttle is an interesting ship with a lot of support options, but it's hard to make the best use of without Advanced Sensors + Engine Upgrade. The Bomber isn't very interesting (it's an ordnance platform) and the x1 is a pretty mediocre ship with a good pilot (Vader).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Nov 19, 2014

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

EdBlackadder posted:

the other hand I finally picked up a Y-wing. I'm sure there's a good XXY list to be made but I can't quite get my head around it.

A Wedge/Biggs/Dutch list is basic but fun, and will give a you pretty good chance against other casual players (no idea for tournament). Put R2-F5 on Biggs and an Ion turret on Dutch, and this still gives you 15 points to play with. I assume you just have the core and X-Wing and Y-Wing expansions, but if you can borrow/buy/steal extra upgrade cards, Push the Limit and Predator are great.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the opinions guys, nice to talk about these things. I've a fair few sets, actually. A-wing, B-wing, X-wing, E-wing, Y-wing, Rebel Aces and the aforementioned imperial forces.

Another TIE is a given, I love the idea of a small swarm of TIE fighters supporting a bigger imperial ship. Imperial Aces looks fun but yeah not essential. Not made a tournament but the guys I play with include a chap who is definitely on the autistic spectrum and between him and the guy who cheats everyone is insisting on exact cards at the moment.

Wildey
Nov 9, 2009
As for mats go, my playgroup and I split the cost of a double-wide yoga mat and cut 2 36x36 squares from it. Now that it doesn't have any bend in it from being rolled for packing, it has pretty much completely stopped model bumps entirely from our games. I love it, and it only cost me $11 after we shared the costs.
http://www.amazon.com/Extra-Wide-Long-Deluxe-Yoga/dp/B002PA1KWK is the one we ordered.

Speaking of imperial lists, I have two tie defenders that I love, but constantly lose when flying. Can someone help me draw up something cool to do with them? Currently I'm leaning to a list that has 2 deltas and a bounty hunter, but I'm not sure what else to do with the remaining 7 points. I was thinking either an HLC somewhere, or bumping the D's up to PS3 so I can move them all at once, or EU on the firespray because I suck at flying properly with large base ships. Thoughts?

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Wildey posted:

As for mats go, my playgroup and I split the cost of a double-wide yoga mat and cut 2 36x36 squares from it. Now that it doesn't have any bend in it from being rolled for packing, it has pretty much completely stopped model bumps entirely from our games. I love it, and it only cost me $11 after we shared the costs.
http://www.amazon.com/Extra-Wide-Long-Deluxe-Yoga/dp/B002PA1KWK is the one we ordered.

Speaking of imperial lists, I have two tie defenders that I love, but constantly lose when flying. Can someone help me draw up something cool to do with them? Currently I'm leaning to a list that has 2 deltas and a bounty hunter, but I'm not sure what else to do with the remaining 7 points. I was thinking either an HLC somewhere, or bumping the D's up to PS3 so I can move them all at once, or EU on the firespray because I suck at flying properly with large base ships. Thoughts?

Couple of ion cannons on the Defenders? Spit-balling here but you could ionise turn one, white K behind and either follow behind ionising or if you miss you'd be out of arc for the next turn and can try again.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

You can go for the Jonus Brothers: Jonus in his TIE Bomber with two Deltas with HLCs :D

(it's not a good list :v:

Wildey
Nov 9, 2009

Tekopo posted:

You can go for the Jonus Brothers: Jonus in his TIE Bomber with two Deltas with HLCs :D

(it's not a good list :v:

Yeah I tried out Jonus a bit earlier, and he just had a hell of a time staying in formation with the D's, apparently it made my formation way too predictable and got me wiped out quick.

I might have to give the ion thing a whirl - I suck at predicting enemy movements and ionized ships take all the guesswork out. And I figure the firespray is beefy enough to run interference on that chain-ion strategy.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Note to self: 2 banks on large ships may be larger than they appear at first glance.

Fortunately, "literally on the table edge" is not out of bounds. :toot:

Unfortunately, I lost that game (Soontir, Krassis and a doomshuttle vs. Dash and Han) purely on dice in a last round. Soontir rolled three blanks and a focus shooting Han, Han rolled three hits, Soontir rolled three blanks and a focus on defence with no focus token left. :v:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lol nice. I keep a few pics of my closest maneuvers with Han around and done the same with Paul's.

Anyone have cool ideas to paint on a YT-2400? The only thing I can think of right now is the classic cloud city duel with silhouette. If I was really good I'd put an Italian masters fresco on it, but I'm not.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

Chill Where do you usually play? The only time I have played outside my circle of friends was at a Flashback Comics tourney. I liked the group there but I rarely have time on Tuesdays or Thursdays to play.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Curio cavern on Tuesday. I do the GNS tournament every month when I can and Huzzah when I remember but that's a bit of a drive for me.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Curio cavern on Tuesday. I do the GNS tournament every month when I can and Huzzah when I remember but that's a bit of a drive for me.

Yeah Curio would be great if I had Tuesday free because it's 5 minutes from work for me. I'm hoping 2015 is less busy for me so I can try to hit up Xwing nights more often. Does Curio have anything planned tournament-wise? I want to try my hand at playing in another tourney but I need one fairly close.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Tuesday nights at curio are all tournaments. I know several of the other places only have monthly tournaments but for curio they have enough materials to do it weekly - store credit prizes helps with that.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
You ever play of round of X-Wing and you do so bad it makes you want to sell the game and never look at it again? That was my night. It was miserable. I'm fine with losing (i normally do), but when my four rebel ships fail to destroy a single Academy Pilot from a swarm of 7 TIES over three rounds, I feel a little like the dice are telling me to go gently caress myself.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

enigmahfc posted:

You ever play of round of X-Wing and you do so bad it makes you want to sell the game and never look at it again? That was my night. It was miserable. I'm fine with losing (i normally do), but when my four rebel ships fail to destroy a single Academy Pilot from a swarm of 7 TIES over three rounds, I feel a little like the dice are telling me to go gently caress myself.

Buy new dice, and melt your other dice when your new ones arrive. Make sure the new ones watch, so they know what happens if they fail you.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

enigmahfc posted:

Nothing can stop the Empire!

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I was playing with my brother yesterday and lost a game where on 2 occasions, I rolled 5 dice with a perfectly positioned Echo and got nothing but blanks :feelsgood:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Statistical averages is why I love playing Han Solo. :)

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Chill la Chill posted:

Statistical averages is why I love playing Han Solo with gunner.

Fixed that for you.

Math is fun!

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

"Never tell me the odds!

Just kidding, I love the odds. Talk about that poo poo all day, every day." - Han Solo to his Gunner buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Val Helmethead posted:

Fixed that for you.

Math is fun!

Oops, thanks. :)

Someone please give me suggestions on how to wizard van the YT-2400 I want that thing looking stupid as hell

Moriatti posted:

"Never tell me the odds!

Just kidding, I love the odds. Talk about that poo poo all day, every day." - Han Solo to his Gunner buddy.

No wonder C3PO is always invited! Han is Tsundere for C3PO

• Locked thread