Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
You should use the SSLP tester for that, but the idea is neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Also don't host pics on imgur. We habe the Lpix service for that.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
drat have to give the game some credit; I can't tell if most of those images are photographs or screenshots.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Tin Tim posted:

Also don't host pics on imgur. We habe the Lpix service for that.

there's not really a reason not to use imgur over lpix. both have rightload plugins, both are quality image hosts.

that being said, never go looking for comments on images on imgur unless you want your braincells to die

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, hosting images on lpix makes it easier for Baldurk to transfer them straight over to the LP Archive when your threads are archived! You should make Baldurk's life easier in any way you possibly can.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Mico posted:

there's not really a reason not to use imgur over lpix. both have rightload plugins, both are quality image hosts.

that being said, never go looking for comments on images on imgur unless you want your braincells to die

Doesn't imgur have a policy where if your images aren't viewed within a certain amount of time, they get deleted? Not really too much of an issue if you don't take too long making updates, but it's something to consider.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I believe you can get around that if you make a free imgur account but not certain.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dr. Fetus posted:

Doesn't imgur have a policy where if your images aren't viewed within a certain amount of time, they get deleted? Not really too much of an issue if you don't take too long making updates, but it's something to consider.

After a certain amount of time, your imgur photos will be deleted/removed if they do not get any traffic. So yes. And it might not sound like a big deal, but if your LP never gets to the archive in time then it'll be a broken mess in the SA archives like what has happened to others.

Mors Rattus posted:

I believe you can get around that if you make a free imgur account but not certain.

Nope, you need to be a premium member. Imgur also locks you out of your own content; it lets you view, delete, edit the most recent 100 225 photos you upload. Anything before that is locked out unless you upgrade.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 19, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Imgur also locks you out of your own content; it lets you view, delete, edit the most recent 100 photos you upload. Anything before that is locked out unless you upgrade.

I can and have deleted photos 101-225 in my account. In fact I just deleted something that was about #200 just now.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Psion posted:

I can and have deleted photos 101-225 in my account. In fact I just deleted something that was about #200 just now.

Imgur only shows 225 photos for your account it seems, upon double-checking. You still can't access the later ones and they will still get deleted

https://imgur.com/register/upgrade

Standard accounts are limited to the 225 most recent images. After that, the newest uploads will be shown and the oldest uploads will be bumped out of the account (not deleted, just hidden from within the account). There is no limit to pro accounts.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Yeah, I'm not suggesting it for any sslp purposes, no, but a 225 limit isn't awful for $0.

also I had 234 and I could delete #234. I didn't, but I could've. I got the little X and everything. As far as I can tell all it does is hide the image, not lock you out from doing anything to it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Psion posted:

Yeah, I'm not suggesting it for any sslp purposes, no, but a 225 limit isn't awful for $0.

Lpix has no restrictions apart from image size and is 0$.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Lpix has no restrictions apart from image size and is 0$.

We aren't disagreeing.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Technically, yes, in practice, no I've never seen an image actually get deleted for inactivity myself.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mico posted:

Technically, yes, in practice, no I've never seen an image actually get deleted for inactivity myself.

You can't see it, because it isn't there!

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I host all my images on Imgur so the police will not have evidence of my Let's Plays several years later.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Rirse posted:

Also a lot of the of the post Oblivion LPs from the Freelance Astronauts were chopped up from streams they did. Very noticable in the RE4 one, since they had the stream chat show up on the side for about ten videos.

Pretty certain nearly all of Maxwell Adams' LPs were recorded streams since they do live commentary for them (Majora's Mask being streamed is iffy though).

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 19, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Putty posted:

I host all my images on Imgur so the police will not have evidence of my Let's Plays several years later.

You have chosen your image hosting service wisely.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Putty posted:

The FBI keep a backup of the entire internet on their secret quantum computer matrix specifically to ensure this doesn't happen :tinfoil:

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Mico posted:

Wasn't there a case where some strategy game LP had some of its pictures on Imgur replaced by Imgur with other pictures by mistake?

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Idran posted:

Wasn't there a case where some strategy game LP had some of its pictures on Imgur replaced by Imgur with other pictures by mistake?

You're thinking of tinypic. That LP is so old that imgur didn't even exist yet when it was made.

Razorwind
May 20, 2010
Right, I know there's a Skyrim let's play in the forum at the moment, but I felt like sharing an entertaining build/challenge. This is my first let's play so I apologise if things aren't particularly polished.

Test post here.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm honestly not sure how well Skyrim lends itself to a screenshot LP, since it's just not very interesting and most of your comments amount to pointing out modded clothing. You'd probably want another opinion on that, though; I'll be the first one to admit I'm not a fan of Skyrim so maybe people want to see it.
Technically it seems to be fine, you'll want to make an OP though.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Idran posted:

Plus it increased the entertainment factor of the LP considerably.

Not a jab about the quality of said LP. I think it was Grey Hunter's War in the Pacific or uPen's War in the East. Maybe? Both were great.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fat Samurai posted:

Plus it increased the entertainment factor of the LP considerably.

Not a jab about the quality of said LP. I think it was Grey Hunter's War in the Pacific or uPen's War in the East. Maybe? Both were great.

I think it was a Cold War era game played from a top-down perspective and was turn-based. It had screenshots of all sorts replaced with profile pictures of random people, inspirational landscape shots and other stuff.

Edit:
I'm tempted to say it was Steel Panthers

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Nov 19, 2014

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I used xomf and imgur at first and then I switched to lpix when I knew how

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Razorwind posted:

Right, I know there's a Skyrim let's play in the forum at the moment, but I felt like sharing an entertaining build/challenge. This is my first let's play so I apologise if things aren't particularly polished.

Test post here.

Hello I am the Skyrim Guy. No matter what you do Skyrim is really terrible and boring and there's nothing you can do about it. It's not your fault man.

It was more or less a game created solely to play by yourself.

Putty fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 20, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Razorwind posted:

Test post here.

Yeah, it might help to keep a Skyrim LP more interesting if you had some sort of gimmick. Like, hmm, oh, I don't know, why not do a Mod Showcase Theatre, where you show off various terrible Skyrim mods and invite hapless victims to comment along with you? The formula is LP gold!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Um, so something weird happened today...I got a message on Youtube from someone calling themselves the LP Archive wrote me the following message:

the supposed LP archive posted:

Hey dude,

I have started a channel where I'm gathering a collection of LP's and I was wondering if I may use your " Adventures in the magic kingdom" Let's Play series as an LP I upload. I do plan to monetize but, having your LP on my channel will hopefully increase your views and subscriber count. I would greatly appreciate it for myself and for you as well because you are a great LP'er and I would like to advertise your channel. My channel is geared towards lesser known LP's giving them a chance at some exposure.

As you look at my channel I may not have any uploads or very little if at all. That's because I just started out. Be one of the first to join.

Thanks, LPArchive.

Something tells me this isn't related to Baldurk's services...

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

Um, so something weird happened today...I got a message on Youtube from someone calling themselves the LP Archive wrote me the following message:

Seems legit.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The internet keeps contriving to astonish me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's loving amazing oh man. This is the first LP pyramid scheme I've ever seen.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

CJacobs posted:

That's loving amazing oh man. This is the first LP pyramid scheme I've ever seen.

Not even. I think he'd have to offer actual money instead of saying "maybe more people will find your channel somehow."

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Choco1980 posted:

Something tells me this isn't related to Baldurk's services...

Tell him the position has already been filled, and then link him to the Archives.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

CJacobs posted:

Haven't Machinima and a few other places been doing this kind of LP "recruitment" for years? Fun to see an amateur attempt at it, though.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Choco1980 posted:

the supposed LP Archive posted:

Hey dude,

I have started a channel where I'm gathering a collection of LP's and I was wondering if I may use your " Adventures in the magic kingdom" Let's Play series as an LP I upload. I do plan to monetize but, having your LP on my channel will hopefully increase your views and subscriber count. I would greatly appreciate it for myself and for you as well because you are a great LP'er and I would like to advertise your channel. My channel is geared towards lesser known LP's giving them a chance at some exposure.

As you look at my channel I may not have any uploads or very little if at all. That's because I just started out. Be one of the first to join.

Thanks, LPArchive.

Actually I heard about one of those little offshoot partner networks doing something like this a couple of years ago. Albeit said partner network had you sign up, and monetized your stuff on on their own channel, and would sometimes THEN file an ID claim against the original video holder if and when they'd try and upload it to their own channel, as well as just straight up YT Downloading some of your other junk and monetizing it on their own channel. TNG, TGN, NGT, I forget, but it was one of those acronyms. I also forget what eventually happened to them as well. I know there were some rant videos made, but if they're still up, and if the partnership group is still going, I couldn't answer.

Which honestly, gently caress it. If you're going to do something like this, you may as well go balls out and balls deep with it, and just rip poo poo completely off of YouTube, and then content ID claim the original, because half the time it's somebody that doesn't know any better and will just accept the claim. Which in and of itself is kind of hilarious. Might get a lawsuit filed on you/jail time, but hell, as long as you stash your LP Cash in a hole, it'll be there for you when you get out!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, I posted about being contacted by the ~TGN GAMING NETWORK BRO, FOR BROS~ a while back in the crapshoot thread (in fact I think you and I had a conversation about it :v:). Not only is it headed by this guy (I love posting this image, check his GUNNAR GAMING SHADES):

But also they apparently did plan to do that with my videos to get me more exposure to the HARDCORE GAMING COMMUNITY which is hilarious and dumb.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CJacobs posted:

(I love posting this image, check his GUNNAR GAMING SHADES)

Real gamers don't change gamma and contrast settings :c00lbert:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The only possible reason I can see for having gaming glasses is if you are in a tournament setting then maybe polarized lenses might help with glare from overhead lights.

Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
If someone on Youtube has the whole soundtrack for a game I want to LP posted is it cool to just link those videos in the thread for when I want to show off the music?

• Locked thread