Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kheldarn posted:

Hmm... I go to Disney a lot, and now that Starbucks has partnered with Disney, adding shops to Magic Kingdom and EPCOT, I might just have to stop in and grab cards when I visit...
How often do you "go to Disney" (and why) and is that world or land? Do you work there or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

randyest posted:

How often do you "go to Disney" (and why) and is that world or land? Do you work there or something?

It's Walt Disney World. I go multiple times a year. We're Annual Passholders, and it's just a 2 hour drive away. We were just down there last weekend, doing volunteer work at the finish line of the Wine & Dine Half Marathon.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Kheldarn posted:

It's Walt Disney World. I go multiple times a year. We're Annual Passholders, and it's just a 2 hour drive away. We were just down there last weekend, doing volunteer work at the finish line of the Wine & Dine Half Marathon.

That's the best event they put on. Ran it last year and got engaged at the finish line, woohoo!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Zigmidge posted:

AirPlayerHD CineXPlayer NPlayer OPlayer XBMC the list goes on and on and on (but those are the good ones). There is good media poo poo out there and none of it includes the need to install crap on your computer.
Quoting this for the new page cause there's a billion of the things that work fine for this while people keep suggesting Plex instead.

randyest posted:

I used to go (to land) often too, when my family all had annual passes...course with how expensive they've gotten you kinda justify going a bunch to make up for it. For us it was basically a local park if we were bored and wanted to kill a few hours.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Does Buffer post to your Google+ account? The description makes it seem like it does, but a review I read said it only posts to Google+ Pages, and not your profile...

Bottom Liner posted:

That's the best event they put on. Ran it last year and got engaged at the finish line, woohoo!

Congratulations!

We started volunteering this year with the Marathon Weekend. This was the last one for the year, and it was fun!

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Speaking of Disney World, I was really surprised by how nice their iOS app was when I visited a few weeks ago. As sad as it is that you can no longer just walk up to a ride and grab a Fastpass reservation for later, it's nice to be able to make a reservation for a ride later using your phone. You can manage your whole trip and keep yourself sane, it's quite nice.

Now that Disney's hotel room keys/Magic Bands/tickets are all just NFC cards, I hope that a later version of iOS can emulate more than just NFC credit cards, as the Apple Pay/Passbook framework would be great for park tickets.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
8.1.1 just dropped. Bug fixes, stability and performance enhancements for iPad 2 and iPhone 4S are listed. Just updated. Phone is still working (iPhone 6/Verizon) so that's good.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Any reason why Google maps app isn't recalculating my position? It really sucks because I'll be walking, waiting for an instruction, look down and find out I've been off the trail for a few blocks.

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

Aww yiss. Whatsapp got 6/6+ support. Looks ace now.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

rear end Catchcum posted:

Any reason why Google maps app isn't recalculating my position? It really sucks because I'll be walking, waiting for an instruction, look down and find out I've been off the trail for a few blocks.

Is the slider to use location in the background for that app turned off?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
That app is not listed under background refresh. It's turned on for location services while using because it's either while using or never.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, and don't get me wrong, I wasn't knocking Plex, it looks pretty good. Also, what I meant by remote gateway is some of these media programs on ios require you to install a piece of software on your PC that acts as an interface/gobetween, and is required to be running for the media player in question to connect to the PC. I'm just used to being able to right-click a folder, hit share and make it network accessible without any other tomfuckery.

I'll give all of the suggestions a good look.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

To be clear, is the blue dot on the map stuck somewhere? Or did it fail to alert you to a turn and then you went a different way and it never bothered to alert you again to get you back on track?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

dazjw posted:

To be clear, is the blue dot on the map stuck somewhere? Or did it fail to alert you to a turn and then you went a different way and it never bothered to alert you again to get you back on track?

The later. I've had to switch to Apple maps. Kill me now.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Apologies if this has been asked before, but I just got an IPad (been using android forever) and am having trouble with finding an easy solution to transfer and play .mkv HD files from it. On Android I would just transfer then over to storage via USB and then use MXplayer to watch it. Is there a hassle free and quick way to do this with iOS? Preferably without intermediate steps like transcoding.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Why? Apple Maps got me from my house just outside of Chicago to my parent's in BFE, North Carolina with nary a wrong turn.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

flosofl posted:

Why? Apple Maps got me from my house just outside of Chicago to my parent's in BFE, North Carolina with nary a wrong turn.

Yeah it's way better now. The initial problems still haunt it though in terms of perception.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Seriously, Apple Maps has been really awesome for me. Launch was pretty shaky for it, but I use it a lot these days, and haven't had an issue.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I find that Google still has more accurate traffic, and of course it has transit, but at night the Maps night mode is just kick rear end and makes it my go-to at that time. And for anything in my address book Maps is more convenient.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

CitrusFrog posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, and don't get me wrong, I wasn't knocking Plex, it looks pretty good. Also, what I meant by remote gateway is some of these media programs on ios require you to install a piece of software on your PC that acts as an interface/gobetween, and is required to be running for the media player in question to connect to the PC. I'm just used to being able to right-click a folder, hit share and make it network accessible without any other tomfuckery.

If you go with some of the players mentioned, or anything from this guide (I think AllCast is the app you want), you can just use Dropbox or Google Drive as your media server. Once your media is synced you'll be able to access it without your PC running. It's also possibly cheaper than Plex if you just buy the 1TB plan or whatever from Drive or Dropbox.

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Seriously, Apple Maps has been really awesome for me. Launch was pretty shaky for it, but I use it a lot these days, and haven't had an issue.

Siri integration is also sweet in a car. "Hey Siri, take me to Quebec City" is pretty awesome. Though it's ridiculous that Apple thinks I can get there in less than two days from Edmonton.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

tuyop posted:

Siri integration is also sweet in a car. "Hey Siri, take me to Quebec City" is pretty awesome. Though it's ridiculous that Apple thinks I can get there in less than two days from Edmonton.

Driving nonstop? Sounds about exactly right.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Looking for a decent Youtube app. Jasmine hasn't been updated in over a year sadly and Google's app lacks some things I'd like from podcast apps such as keeping track of where you are in a playlist, episode resume (wtf Goog seriously) and skipping ahead 30 seconds or so. What are the alternatives these days?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
You use YouTube for podcasts and not RSS or iTunes?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
No I use Downcast, but there's a few long-rear end playlists of tutorials that I'm going through that can basically function like podcasts.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I use MxTube but I'm not sure it'll do the specific stuff you want...and searching for it now it appears to have been pulled :(

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Not to be a tease but I just tried it out and I think your problem is fixed in the next (or possibly next-next) release. Can't give you a date on when that's out though. Give it a try next time you see it update (unless it's a 4.0.x, then don't bother).

Riven posted:

And for anything in my address book Maps is more convenient.

Mind explaining what's better? Is it that the OS' addressbook app launches straight to apple maps or is there something else? google maps has contact search in its search-suggestions if you give it permission now, although it's a bit rudimentary.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

dazjw posted:

Mind explaining what's better? Is it that the OS' addressbook app launches straight to apple maps or is there something else? google maps has contact search in its search-suggestions if you give it permission now, although it's a bit rudimentary.

You can just say "Hey Siri, give me directions to dazjw's house" and it routes you. If you have relationships setup for contacts it's handy too. "Hey Siri, give me directions to my mom's house" and presto.

Maps has come a long way. For long trips I still check Apple Maps and Google Maps though. Every once in a while I get a weird route that has me get off the interstate and onto a surface road for a few miles and then back on the same interstate.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I really don't understand why Google Maps doesn't have a night mode. It's the single biggest reason I don't use it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

smackfu posted:

I really don't understand why Google Maps doesn't have a night mode. It's the single biggest reason I don't use it.

It does. It automatically switches based on time (or ambient light).

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

It does. It automatically switches based on time (or ambient light).

Is that new? I've never seen it on iOS, and all I find on Google are complaints that it doesn't exist. Waze does have one.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Jose Oquendo posted:

You can just say "Hey Siri, give me directions to dazjw's house" and it routes you. If you have relationships setup for contacts it's handy too. "Hey Siri, give me directions to my mom's house" and presto.

Ahh, okay, makes sense. Siri doesn't work for me, accent-wise, so I've never really used this stuff. Does sound handy, but not much google maps can actually do there unless apple opens up some siri/default-app stuff. Too bad.

smackfu posted:

Is that new? I've never seen it on iOS, and all I find on Google are complaints that it doesn't exist. Waze does have one.

The android version has it, the iOS version doesn't.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

CitrusFrog posted:

Ah hey, I hope I'm not too late on this. I included cinexplayer because someone was shouting it at me but it was in regards to DTS support. It doesn't have smb sharing support so don't waste your money on it if that's your key feature.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

dazjw posted:

Not to be a tease but I just tried it out and I think your problem is fixed in the next (or possibly next-next) release. Can't give you a date on when that's out though. Give it a try next time you see it update (unless it's a 4.0.x, then don't bother).

Not to be a jerk but isn't that a pretty big gently caress up? Recalculating when you go off course seems like an integral feature to me.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
I don't think it has been mentioned yet but Goodreader is on sale right now for .99c

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id777310222?mt=8

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

decypher posted:

I don't think it has been mentioned yet but Goodreader is on sale right now for .99c

Guess I'll buy it even though I don't use a ton of PDFs on the phone. You guys talk about it so much I can't resist.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

decypher posted:

That's a steal, it's an awesome app despite the terrible UI.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

That's a steal, it's an awesome app despite the terrible UI.

A UI only a developer could love. But drat is it useful.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

What do you guys use it for?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Personally, I use it for annotation of PDFs, and I can print, email, move to online storage, all that kind of stuff.

It will also open for viewing a wide variety of document types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Thirst Mutilator posted:

A lot of people use it as a quasi-file manager. It's no explorer.exe but it's more computer janitor power than Jobs wanted people to have on their idevices.