Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

jwh posted:

Hey guys, so we survived our first day of being open this past Saturday. It was hectic, a lot of people coming in to check things out, say hello, etc. Anyway, I'm in the process of getting our full inventory up on reverb.com, but in the meantime, I figured I'd share a list of what we have, in case anyone was particularly interested in something before it goes up on reverb. The list doesn't include the violins, which I haven't gotten to yet.

http://goatpeakstrings.com/goat%20peak%20strings%20inventory%2020141117.pdf

I'm not used to retail, i forgot that 90% of the people that walk in are basically insane people looking for a bathroom, free food, or emotional counseling.

I'm going to be taking some little video demos of some of the nicer, more rare guitars, like the 1960 ES345, the '52 ES5, and the Tippin dreadnaughts, and all that fun stuff, but if there's something on the list you really want to see me play (poorly), let me know.

Shoot us a link to your Reverb page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I've got a strat right now, and kinda want to get a short-scale guitar like a jaguar. what's the recommended cheapish but not garbage model? probably looking at spending ~400 or so.

Just a heads up. If you are still looking for a Jaguar style guitar, Musician's Friend has the Blacktop Jaguar (TOM bridge and two Humbuckers) on sale for $400. I don't know if you are looking for a more traditional style Jag or just something with a shorter scale, but its $100 off its usual price. Plus you can probably give them a call and get some additional percentage off based on whatever coupons that have going right now.

The Modern Player Jaguar is $300 (normal price of $400), which is basically the same, but it has two p90s and a rear route control cavity instead of a "loaded" pickguard.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
So we're adding a steel guitar player to our outfit and I'm pretty excited about that.

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
What are the current hive mind thoughts on things like Amplitude and Jamup?

I get its not pro quality stuff and I'm not expecting it to be, but I'm getting loaned a tele to see if I like that vs the acoustic I've been playing for about a year, and they suggested just using one of those apps to see if I like it. (I also need to buy some headphones).

Considering I'm playing only in my apartment, for myself, it seems like it could be a 'good enough' situation until I decide if I want to buy my own electric guitar/amp.

If you have used one of these, feel free to give advice on the various guitar->phone connectors (Jamup irig, the expensive one etc)

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Hawkeye posted:

I get its not pro quality stuff and I'm not expecting it to be, but I'm getting loaned a tele to see if I like that vs the acoustic I've been playing for about a year, and they suggested just using one of those apps to see if I like it. (I also need to buy some headphones).

Considering I'm playing only in my apartment, for myself, it seems like it could be a 'good enough' situation until I decide if I want to buy my own electric guitar/amp.

If you have used one of these, feel free to give advice on the various guitar->phone connectors (Jamup irig, the expensive one etc)

I have an Apogee jam and have been using it with Bias and Amplitube (for the Ampeg B15 model, Bias' bass stuff isn't great IMO) and they sound really nice. I would avoid any interface that simply plugs into the audio jack.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I recently picked up a '75 silverface Twin Reverb with JBL K120s, and they're heavy as all get out at 14 pounds a piece, bringing the amp up to around eighty pounds total. I went looking for either Jensen neo 12s, or Weber's neo 12's, but it looks like they aren't making them anymore.

The only other 12" neo speaker I can find that people seem to like is the Emi Lil' Texas, net weight 4 pounds.

Anyone have any experience with any of these? I'm getting too old to lug heavy amps around.

The good news is that apparently people are getting fairly decent money for good condition K120s, so I could flip them and pay for most of what I paid for the amp itself.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Those are nice speakers you should keep them instead of making your amp sound worse to save a few pounds.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

jwh posted:

I recently picked up a '75 silverface Twin Reverb with JBL K120s, and they're heavy as all get out at 14 pounds a piece, bringing the amp up to around eighty pounds total. I went looking for either Jensen neo 12s, or Weber's neo 12's, but it looks like they aren't making them anymore.

The only other 12" neo speaker I can find that people seem to like is the Emi Lil' Texas, net weight 4 pounds.

Anyone have any experience with any of these? I'm getting too old to lug heavy amps around.

The good news is that apparently people are getting fairly decent money for good condition K120s, so I could flip them and pay for most of what I paid for the amp itself.

It's a Fender twin dude, it's supposed to be heavy.

Just deal with it. So much cheaper.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
Yeah, uh, you could do all that crap and save 20 lbs and it will still be heavy as all hell. Sell it and get a deluxe reverb if you don't like the weight.

Nobody wants to say it, but amps like supers and twins are uhh waning in popularity except for people who have roadies. I love the sound of these amps but we got PAs and poo poo now.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

40 OZ posted:

Yeah, uh, you could do all that crap and save 20 lbs and it will still be heavy as all hell. Sell it and get a deluxe reverb if you don't like the weight.

Nobody wants to say it, but amps like supers and twins are uhh waning in popularity except for people who have roadies. I love the sound of these amps but we got PAs and poo poo now.

I gigged for years with a 70s 4x10 Super Reverb. Such a pain in the rear end to move, but I swear it was the best sounding amp I've played though. Had it not gotten stolen, I'd still be playing it.

But yeah, it's heavy. Just gotta deal with it.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Dirt posted:

I gigged for years with a 70s 4x10 Super Reverb. Such a pain in the rear end to move, but I swear it was the best sounding amp I've played though. Had it not gotten stolen, I'd still be playing it.

But yeah, it's heavy. Just gotta deal with it.

Late 70s SR is my favorite amp of all time. Christ almighty it sounds so good.

I would never get one because of weight and just absurd loving volume but yeah.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Hawkeye posted:

Amplitube is great, but the quality of software amp sims is wholly dependent on the machine running them and how much you're trying to do with them. If you can afford a decent audio interface and have a good OC'ed CPU, they'll handle things amazingly. If you have a $50 Behringer interface and a laptop and are trying to do heavy distortion and multitracking, they'll sound like someone hit a pocket headphone amplifier with a hammer.

We're in an age of cheap practice amplifiers, so you might want to go that route if your computer is a toaster. If it isn't, buy a good interface go nuts.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
my biggest issue with fender reverb is that it only has 2 speakers

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Smash it Smash hit posted:

These go for pretty cheap if you count the crane you will need to recover it back to your apartment.

They go for pretty cheap because what the hell can you do with it if you aren't playing the halftime show at the super bowl.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

The 45 watt one is 410.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

The 45 watt one is 410.

My biggest problem with that one is that it is 45 watts.

40 OZ posted:

These go for pretty cheap if you count the crane you will need to recover it back to your apartment.

They go for pretty cheap because what the hell can you do with it if you aren't playing the halftime show at the super bowl.

however this dude gets me.

edit: Definitely going to keep an eye out for one of these, I have never seen one though. :[

Dirt
May 26, 2003

That's the Super Six reverb, I think. 6x10, 100 watts. Crazy loud, crazy heavy. I've seen them around from time to time. Shipping is going to be crazy expensive of you are buying it off eBay or Reverb though.

Also the 45 Watt Super Reverb is as loud as anything you could ever need. Like seriously, it's stupid loud.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I understand Twins are heavy- I already have one. I have a '68 Super Reverb also; this was mostly about seeing if anyone had experience with neodymium 12"s.

Here's our practice space:

A friend of mine has a Super Six. It's a beast to move around.

jwh fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 20, 2014

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Dirt posted:

That's the Super Six reverb, I think. 6x10, 100 watts. Crazy loud, crazy heavy. I've seen them around from time to time. Shipping is going to be crazy expensive of you are buying it off eBay or Reverb though.

Also the 45 Watt Super Reverb is as loud as anything you could ever need. Like seriously, it's stupid loud.

Well obviously not going to ship, def just going to look around locally for it. And I dunno about as loud as anything I'll ever need. I have a v4 and, I sometimes want even more girth tbh.

jwh posted:

I understand Twins are heavy- I already have one. I have a '68 Super Reverb also; this was mostly about seeing if anyone had experience with neodymium 12"s.

Everything here is niceee but the orange and marshall are an eye sore in the sea of fender.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

That bass cab is a Marshall VBC412, which, as near as I can tell, Marshall only made for about a year or two. Which is a shame, because it's a nice insulated 4x12 bass cabinet that sounds terrific. It's also easier to move around than a SVT810.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

jwh posted:

Is that an old Epiphone there? If so I have one like it and they are great little amps.

jwh posted:

That bass cab is a Marshall VBC412, which, as near as I can tell, Marshall only made for about a year or two. Which is a shame, because it's a nice insulated 4x12 bass cabinet that sounds terrific. It's also easier to move around than a SVT810.

I want to try one of those out so bad, but have never come across on in person.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

jwh posted:

Ahh that make sense! Nice setup.

I'm curious to see how the twin sounds with different speakers.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

FancyMike posted:

Is that an old Epiphone there? If so I have one like it and they are great little amps.

Yeah, it's some kind of Galaxie. I forget exactly. We also picked up a nice '66 bandmaster with matching 2x12 cabinet the other day, and of course, another Twin.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Well obviously not going to ship, def just going to look around locally for it. And I dunno about as loud as anything I'll ever need. I have a v4 and, I sometimes want even more girth tbh.

More speakers would be more likely to satisfy you than more wattage

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

TopherCStone posted:

More speakers would be more likely to satisfy you than more wattage

already got me a 412/610 good on all ends. I just like to complain.

that Marshall 412 looks really rad, how deep is it or is it set up just like the 1960b?

Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

People that can eat people are the luckiest people in the world
How long are people leaving coated strings on their acoustics? I've been using D'addario phosphor bronzes for a while and they usually sound the way I like them after about two days of griming them up and after a week or so they get noticeably discolored because I live in a humid climate and also I'm a filthy human being who refuses to wipe down his guitar regularly.

I tossed on some coated D'addarios in the same gauge and I like how they sound right away, what kind of lifespan should I be getting out of them if I'm just as lazy about cleaning and I play about an hour per day? Do they still noticeably discolor when they wear?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Lead guy was showing me his original 66 tele tonight.

Hey Fender, Roadworn that.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Sockington posted:

Lead guy was showing me his original 66 tele tonight.

Hey Fender, Roadworn that.

drat. Does he not play it?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I've always owned solid state amplifiers, but want to buy my first tube amp. However, I live in a small apartment, so I'd like to get something that is small enough that I can still get some nice tones out of, without bothering the neighbors. I've got the ever-recommended Rolland Microbe now, and won't be getting rid of it, but would like some recommendations on 2-3 amps to try.

Thoughts?

Edit: Play mostly rock/indie, pop, want to play a little more country/honky tonk coming up. No metal and not a lot of clean tones.

dexter6 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 21, 2014

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

dexter6 posted:

I've always owned solid state amplifiers, but want to buy my first tube amp. However, I live in a small apartment, so I'd like to get something that is small enough that I can still get some nice tones out of, without bothering the neighbors. I've got the ever-recommended Rolland Microbe now, and won't be getting rid of it, but would like some recommendations on 2-3 amps to try.

Thoughts?

What do you play?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

What do you play?
Play mostly rock/indie, pop, want to play a little more country/honky tonk coming up. No metal and not a lot of clean tones.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

dexter6 posted:

Play mostly rock/indie, pop, want to play a little more country/honky tonk coming up. No metal and not a lot of clean tones.

Check out some of the lower range fender tube amps in some guitar stores and see what you like then check craigslist/ebay for them because they're very ubiquitous so they're often sold for cheap on the secondhand markets.

I always recommend the blues junior and the super champ, but I really like my friends twin reverb

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Egnater Tweaker.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I'm a big fan of the Traynor Dark Horse, which has a 2 watt mode (still all tube, it uses a preamp tube as a power section). The Fender Excelsior is a fun amp, though it doesn't have any tone controls.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sleepflower posted:

Egnater Tweaker.

I love this amp but it's a little pricey.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

I love this amp but it's a little pricey.

Is it? Might depend where you are but in the US, on Musician's Friend, it's only slightly more than the Blues Jr.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sleepflower posted:

Is it? Might depend where you are but in the US, on Musician's Friend, it's only slightly more than the Blues Jr.

So it is, I always thought the blues junior was like $399. Well then yes, the 15w tweaker also goes on my list.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I've played a blues junior before, I'll check that out.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Fender Champ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Warcabbit posted:

Fender Champ.

They're all good.