Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'm guessing it's a bunch of lyric quotes?

Buzzkill STDH

quote:

Scrooge-Fest
Office | MI, USA | Coworkers, Holidays

(I’m a Scrooge about holidays, especially minor ones, but one coworker hasn’t got the hint.)

Coworker: “So what are you doing for St. Patrick’s day?

Me: “Nothing.”

Coworker: “What? But you have to do something special! It’s such a fun holiday!”

Me: “I’m neither Irish, Catholic, not an alcoholic, so I don’t think I have any reason to celebrate it.”

Coworker: “You’re going to be just as much fun for Cinco de Mayo, aren’t you?”

Me: “And Octoberfest.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bertrand Hustle posted:

What the gently caress does "light deems" mean?
Onomotopoeia for a cartoon lightbulb turning on? Like "light dings" but more stupid.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Tunicate posted:

Buzzkill STDH

Well, there might not be a co-worker, but I'm sure this person hasn't got any plans for any holidays if this is a story they wanted to invent and share.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

sweeperbravo posted:

I think it's supposed to mean "dims" but the writer is trying to be funny/have a funny accent? I don't really have any idea what was going on in that exchange at all, does it read to anyone else like someone badly translating something into English?

Rap is lyric and art, but only when the white teacher explains it word-by-word.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Noyemi K posted:

Troper STDH

You know, I read this stuff and I have to wonder if anybody on the Troper Tales boards actually believes the other Tropers' stories, or if it's just some kind of weird contest where everyone's trying to one-up each other.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Noyemi K posted:

Nobody has been proven to have true eidetic memory, over the age of 12. And it's definitely not what you think it is, dude.
That's... not funny at all. And it also didn't happen!

This troper is an early twenties, fully mature and grown man, who still does not understand what a "dream" is.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

You know, I read this stuff and I have to wonder if anybody on the Troper Tales boards actually believes the other Tropers' stories, or if it's just some kind of weird contest where everyone's trying to one-up each other.

It could very easily be both.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Noyemi K posted:

If we're going to venture into empathic territory, might I recommend learning to shield? Even if it's complete BS, it can't hurt.

This is a real life version of Zizek's Niels Bohr joke.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

Buzzkill STDH

I can believe this. Only in real life it's a bunch of people at work talking about what they're going to do for St Patty's day and then this buzzkill appears out of nowhere and loudly announces that he's not going to do anything because he's not Irish, Catholic or an alcoholic. After a long and awkward silence, the buzzkill gets the hint and goes away and everyone else continues on like they were before.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

The buzzkill never gets the hint.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

walrusman posted:

Because he is Literally An Autist and whatever the hell his other tropes are.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

walrusman posted:

Or invitations.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

ibntumart posted:

Or invitations.

Well, that made me laugh louder than I thought.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What is a troper tia

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
TV Tropes is a site where a bunch of autists who think Buffy the Vampire Slayer and My Little Pony are this generation's equivalents to the works of Shakespeare and Chaucer badly try to analyze art. Tropers are said autists.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Boris Galerkin posted:

What is a troper tia

Deadpan Snarkers

(aka "everything I say sounds like a bad Terry Pratchett book")

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PUGGERNAUT posted:

a bad Terry Pratchett book

Oxymoron.

hate hoot
Nov 7, 2012

quote:

This troper, who considers himself a comedian, often has loud, off-colour conversations in the hallway of his high school with his friends.

I can definitely believe this happens. And definitely that he considers himself a comedian. And definitely that it is happening in a high school.

Only thing missing is the half-subtle glance around after every worthless comment, checking to see if any "mundanes" are listening in.

hate hoot has a new favorite as of 02:29 on Nov 19, 2014

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

hate hoot posted:

I can definitely believe this happens. And definitely that he considers himself a comedian. And definitely that it is happening in a high school.

Only thing missing is the half-subtle glance around after every worthless comment, checking to see if any "mundanes" are listening in.

One of the best things about being old is never again having to be part of any conversation in which the phrase "freaking the mundanes" is used.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

STDH got into The Guardian today:

http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2014/nov/19/adrienne-truscott-the-day-i-lost-my-job-for-linda-mccartney

quote:

Dear reader, I realise these shallow observations may seem unbecoming and unsophisticated, but it’s important that I go on – this man was repugnant. Time and diet had taken their toll. There was no hope even of placing him in the category of the “not conventionally pretty”. This man was hard on the eyes – even my bloodshot, half-lidded and crossed ones.

As he and his equally unattractive male colleague passed me and headed for a table, he picked up the newspaper, looked at Linda on the cover and said this aloud, and without shame of being overheard: “Jesus, she’s so ugly, you’d think cancer would have taken one look at her and run in the opposite direction.”

In that moment, I was as sure as a shitbox that this was one of the most inhumane things I’d ever heard. It was like he was saying this: “She is not pretty enough to live.” Where moments ago my vision was merely blurry with a hangover, I was suddenly blind with rage. The callousness. The cruelty. Most of all, the hypocrisy.

(blah blah blah)

He said: “I want to speak to the manager.” I said: “I am the manager.”

He said: “There’s a waitress there that I want fired.” I said: “I am that waitress.”

He said: “I’m going to tell your boss.”

I said: “I already told him.”

He raged impotently: “You don’t write me a letter like that.” “But I did write you that letter like that, didn’t I?”

“I’ll have you fired,” he said. “I hate this job,” I said.

“You’re in trouble,” he said. “I’m not,” I said. “And you can do nothing right now but know that you’re a bit of a pig.”

I finished out the week there, and Victoria’s biography, as I wasn’t inspired to do my best work on a job I was not sorry I had lost. Word of mouth at the cafe was that I was a goner, though I convinced them to give me an unwarranted two weeks’ severance pay. Unheard of for waitresses. I’m a bit of a huckster too.

A letter arrived before I left, with an imposing letterhead and an address – a last-ditch effort by the puffy patron at trying to have some final word. I showed it to my boyfriend who promptly wrote a letter in return challenging him to a duel at dawn in Central Park attended by his allergist, to defend my honour. That dawn came and went, and no shots were reported.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyYUbgi0A0o

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Even Reddit had trouble believing this poo poo posted:

The week before Halloween of 2013, I found a great deal on a video card upgrade on Craigslist. I picked it up and decided to list my old card for sale to recoup the purchase and make it a "free" upgrade. A few days go by and I get a text. Someone is offering me a better video card than my old one for trade plus 20 dollars on my end.

I was hesitant. "Why would this guy want an inferior card?" He seemed nice enough, however, and in over 150 Craigslist purchases over the years, I've only had one broken item/scam, so I eventually gave in. He argued that his power supply couldn't support the card, but that it worked fine and he would trade me back if it didn't. OK, works for me.

We met in a McDonald's parking lot near his home and made the switch. I never even had to get out of my car.

Low and behold, the card had some VERY weird issues. It wasn't "completely" broken, but let's just say it wasn't going to work. (I work in IT and have NEVER come across an issue like this.) At first, the text messages were replied to and he claimed to feel bad. Then, when I asked for the refund - Radio Silence. I gave him many, many chances.
So, what do you do? You've got no name, no address, a phone number and nothing else. Chalk it up as a loss? I think not, my friends. I decided to search for his number on Craigslist to see if perhaps he was trying to sell something else.

BINGO. 2 phones come up for sale.

I hop on Google Voice and use my newly created GV number to text him and setup a "purchase" for the next day (which was Halloween) of one of the phones. Of course, unlike when I texted about my refund, he responds to these texts instantly. I manage to talk him into letting me meet at his apartment building. The next step was asking my friend to step in for the "sale" while I watched from around the corner and could make my move.

I should probably mention that I'm a big guy and can be very intimidating, even though I usually won't hurt a soul. 6'5" - 225 lbs. Even so, my friend didn't believe I would do anything of any consequence. I guess that's because he's never seen what happened to people who stole from me in the past. He said, "What are you gonna do if he just closes his door on you?" "Break it the gently caress down." He didn't believe me.

I have my friend meet him and hold the phone while keeping the door to the apartment open. I stroll up around the corner of the building and storm the door, holding his video card. The scammer sees me and immediately starts running full speed upstairs. He reaches the door and starts to close it. Now, in all honesty, I was only trying to get my shoulder/foot in the door before he could close me out so I could demand my video card back, but I was just a half-second too late. The door clicked... but that didn't stop my momentum a bit. The door jam or door knob area of the door itself (not sure which) completely splinters to bits and the door swings wide open. 3 people are standing there with an "Oh, my loving God - please don't kill us" look in their eyes. I am literally shaking with adrenaline, because I don't know if these three people are gonna try to fight me or not, but I was ready for anything...

I hold up the card and simply say, "GET MY CARD. NOW." He runs off and says, "I'm getting it! I have to take it out of my computer." Meanwhile, the other two people don't say a word. Then, I hear my friend from downstairs, "Uh, man.. uh, do I need to get the car ready? Do we have to get out of here really quick?" I maintain eye contact with the two people left in the house and just say, "No. We can take our time."

A minute later the guy comes out with my video card. I give him his card back and said something like, "You can keep the 20 dollars. Fix your door."

I have never in my life felt like more of a badass than that moment. Never heard from the guy again, but I searched for his number a few times in the following weeks to see if he was still selling on Craigslist. Seems like maybe he decided that wasn't a worthwhile venture to continue...

The author changed his story a few times in the comments when people started picking it apart. Also made fun of internet tough guys without a trace of irony.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
...sure as a shitbox?

silencekit
May 1, 2014

Here's some poo poo from someone's imagination I found on Facebook today. Real exchanges between pilots and control towers. Remarkably not funny:

http://www.tickld.com/x/actual-exchanges-between-pilots-and-control-towers

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

silencekit posted:

Here's some poo poo from someone's imagination I found on Facebook today. Real exchanges between pilots and control towers. Remarkably not funny:

http://www.tickld.com/x/actual-exchanges-between-pilots-and-control-towers

I just don't understand the inspiration of someone to make these up. But then again I can imagine them getting emailed back and forth between grandmas and laughing at the ZANY ANTICS OF AIRPLANES

silencekit
May 1, 2014

There's more than one "lol loving Germans" jokes in there. Maybe it was written by a WWII vet?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

ibntumart posted:

The author changed his story a few times in the comments when people started picking it apart. Also made fun of internet tough guys without a trace of irony.

I always like the lines about their huge stature. "Yeah I'm 6'7 260lbs and have 10% bodyfat. I've been told I look intimidating."

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
High school for me was a joke, just like it is for everyone. As a result, me and my friends did anything we could to make the days more entertaining. One plan started with two of my friends and a fake blood pill left over from Halloween.

They approached the front desk to the office from opposite directions, right in the middle of a sizable crowd.

One pretended to bump into the other and knock his books out of his hand. A mock fight erupted quickly.

Naturally, a satisfyingly large number of people gathered around to watch. Hall fights are the best thing about high school. The office staff even crowded around, peering over the top of their partition walls and desks.

With a mighty (fake) left hook, one friend caught the other square in the jaw. Right on cue, he bit into the blood capsule, sending blood spraying onto the crowd and the wall. He fell down, clutching his mouth and screaming. The victor, his role played out, dashed off.

The guy on the ground was really hamming it up, even going as far as to remove the popped capsule and claim he'd bitten a chunk out of his tongue.

And what did we get from the office staff?

Applause.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

silencekit posted:

There's more than one "lol loving Germans" jokes in there. Maybe it was written by a WWII vet?

I'm pretty sure I've seen these multiple times in Reader's Digest

corn in the bible posted:

Hall fights are the best thing about high school.

Now that's just sad.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Man, I wish my high school was like something out of The Warriors.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

quote:

"I'm going to hell for this" seems to be mostly people trying to prove how hard they are. posted:

This troper, who considers himself a comedian, often has loud, off-colour conversations in the hallway of his high school with his friends. Said conversations are peppered with jokes about cripples, suicide, pot shots at my one black friend (who enjoys such jokes wholeheartedly, mind you), the flaws in organized religion, etc. Not to mention the fact that I am an atheist, an avid fan of George Carlin and Penn & Teller, I constantly swear like a man who dropped a bowling ball on his foot, and find every single Funny Aneurysm Moment throughout history to be completely hilarious. Kneel at the feet of the master, heathens. (Come to think of it, I would consider the trope title to be a Catch Phrase of mine.)

I believe this one, except for the bold part. The fact that he thinks he's somehow unique and special for all that is pretty hilarious, though.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Lowly posted:

I believe this one, except for the bold part. The fact that he thinks he's somehow unique and special for all that is pretty hilarious, though.

Honestly it just sounds like another way of "I'm not racist but..."

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Lowly posted:

Going for the obvious here but I don't believe he has any friends, let alone a black one.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
Here's a nice story from gbs thats totally true

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Once upon a time there was a girl named Cuddles. She liked to cuddle so everybody called her Cuddles. She slowly transformed into Orgyfriend. Her husband was kind of a dick and screamed at her when they had a miscarriage because he had no idea how to deal with strong sad feelings like an adult. That plus the miscarriage broke her goddamned mind. She slowly went from just having sex parties now and then in their on-base house (while he was deployed) to going down to Mexico, getting tattoos (one of which was a shrimp and a horse loving) and getting hosed up out of her mind. She got knocked up to another guy who awol'd out of the military with her when she divorced her husband. Eventually they ended up several states away with her pregnant with the awol guy's kid. Her best friend got caught with a shitload of cocaine back on the base, and Orgyfriend herself had been selling drugs out of the base house apparently. Slushed out of her brains, high on who knows what, she and awol boyfriend did a majyical ritual to "cleanse the darkness" from the babies in which she cut off her fingers with awol boyfriend. She's in happy padded room land now. I call her Nubbins. There's a lot more to all this (like donut dick eating and stuff) but that's the short version.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

What's unbelievable about a chick screwing around on her husband while he's deployed, doing drugs, getting trashy tattoos, and getting knocked up? The story is told in a profoundly idiotic way but the only part that even qualifies as "unusual behavior" is the finger thing.

MojoAZ
Jan 1, 2010
Got this one in email from my dad today:

AN ACTUAL CRAIGSLIST PERSONALS AD
To the Guy Who Tried to Mug Me in Downtown Savannah night before last.
Date: 2011-11-27, 1:43 am. E.S.T.

I was the guy wearing the black Burberry jacket that you demanded that I hand over, shortly after you pulled the knife on me and my girlfriend, threatening our lives. You also asked for my girlfriend's purse and earrings. I can only hope that you somehow come across this rather important message.

First, I'd like to apologize for your embarrassment; I didn't expect you to actually crap in your pants whenI drew my pistol after you took my jacket.. The evening was not that cold, and I was wearing the jacket for a reason.. my girlfriend was happy that I just returned safely from my 2nd tour as a Combat Marine in Afghanistan .. She had just bought me that Kimber Custom Model 1911 .45 ACP pistol for my birthday, and we had picked up a shoulder holster for it that very evening. Obviously you agree that it is a very intimidating weapon when pointed at your head ... isn't it!

I know it probably wasn't fun walking back to wherever you'd come from with crap in your pants. I'm sure it was even worse walking bare-footed since I made you leave your shoes, cell phone, and wallet with me. (That prevented you from calling or running to your buddies to come help mug us again).

After I called your mother or "Momma" as you had her listed in your cell, I explained the entire episode of what you'd done. Then I went and filled up my gas tank as well as those of four other people in the gas station, -- on your credit card. The guy with the big motor home took 153 gallons and was extremely grateful!

I gave your shoes to a homeless guy outside Vinnie Van Go Go's, along with all the cash in your wallet. [That made his day!] I then threw your wallet into the big pink "pimp mobile" that was parked at the curb ..... after I broke the windshield and side window and keyed the entire driver's side of the car.

Earlier, I managed to get in two threatening phone calls to the DA's office and one to the FBI, while mentioning President Obama as my possible target. The FBI guy seemed really intense and we had a nice long chat (I guess while he traced your number etc.). In a way, perhaps I should apologize for not killing you ... but I feel this type of retribution is a far more appropriate punishment for your threatened crime. I wish you well as you try to sort through some of these rather immediate pressing issues, and can only hope that you have the opportunity to reflect upon, and perhaps reconsider, the career path you've chosen to pursue in life. Remember, next time you might not be so lucky. Have a good day!

Thoughtfully yours, Semper fi,
Alex

Probably don't have to ask you to forward this one. It is priceless

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

walrusman posted:

What's unbelievable about a chick screwing around on her husband while he's deployed, doing drugs, getting trashy tattoos, and getting knocked up? The story is told in a profoundly idiotic way but the only part that even qualifies as "unusual behavior" is the finger thing.

I found the orgies and the magical finger cutting off thing a little far fetched. The drugs and cheating military spouses is pretty normal

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

sweeperbravo posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen these multiple times in Reader's Digest

I was gonna say...TWA? Pan Am? How OLD are these?

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

MojoAZ posted:

Got this one in email from my dad today:

AN ACTUAL CRAIGSLIST PERSONALS AD
To the Guy Who Tried to Mug Me in Downtown Savannah night before last.
Date: 2011-11-27, 1:43 am. E.S.T.

I was the guy wearing the black Burberry jacket that you demanded that I hand over, shortly after you pulled the knife on me and my girlfriend, threatening our lives. You also asked for my girlfriend's purse and earrings. I can only hope that you somehow come across this rather important message.

First, I'd like to apologize for your embarrassment; I didn't expect you to actually crap in your pants whenI drew my pistol after you took my jacket.. The evening was not that cold, and I was wearing the jacket for a reason.. my girlfriend was happy that I just returned safely from my 2nd tour as a Combat Marine in Afghanistan .. She had just bought me that Kimber Custom Model 1911 .45 ACP pistol for my birthday, and we had picked up a shoulder holster for it that very evening. Obviously you agree that it is a very intimidating weapon when pointed at your head ... isn't it!

I know it probably wasn't fun walking back to wherever you'd come from with crap in your pants. I'm sure it was even worse walking bare-footed since I made you leave your shoes, cell phone, and wallet with me. (That prevented you from calling or running to your buddies to come help mug us again).

After I called your mother or "Momma" as you had her listed in your cell, I explained the entire episode of what you'd done. Then I went and filled up my gas tank as well as those of four other people in the gas station, -- on your credit card. The guy with the big motor home took 153 gallons and was extremely grateful!

I gave your shoes to a homeless guy outside Vinnie Van Go Go's, along with all the cash in your wallet. [That made his day!] I then threw your wallet into the big pink "pimp mobile" that was parked at the curb ..... after I broke the windshield and side window and keyed the entire driver's side of the car.

Earlier, I managed to get in two threatening phone calls to the DA's office and one to the FBI, while mentioning President Obama as my possible target. The FBI guy seemed really intense and we had a nice long chat (I guess while he traced your number etc.). In a way, perhaps I should apologize for not killing you ... but I feel this type of retribution is a far more appropriate punishment for your threatened crime. I wish you well as you try to sort through some of these rather immediate pressing issues, and can only hope that you have the opportunity to reflect upon, and perhaps reconsider, the career path you've chosen to pursue in life. Remember, next time you might not be so lucky. Have a good day!

Thoughtfully yours, Semper fi,
Alex

Probably don't have to ask you to forward this one. It is priceless

"Hmm, someone tried to commit assault and robbery on me, what is the best way to handle this? Report it to the cops? Or maybe I should commit a series of perhaps even more serious felonies instead!" :holy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Guy Montag posted:

"Hmm, someone tried to commit assault and robbery on me, what is the best way to handle this? Report it to the cops? Or maybe I should commit a series of perhaps even more serious felonies instead!" :holy:

And then post about it on the internet!

• Locked thread