Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I think this describes T13 fairly well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7joJVaGrBw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
S-E has confirmed that recent connection problems have been the result of DDoS attacks against the login servers.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/37fec24c498bce9dd97a2c807ec98757b05b88f3

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
5:1 odds it's the 1.0 purists doing it :v:

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Ignimbrite posted:

5:1 odds it's the 1.0 purists doing it :v:

All the major MMOs seem have been getting hit with intermittent DDoS attacks lately.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

ilifinicus posted:

You only get that if you don't use an authenticator. Why aren't you using an authenticator?
Looks like I'm gonna start with the authenticator!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

KaneTW posted:

I think this describes T13 fairly well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7joJVaGrBw

Painful and humiliating while at the same time sexually gratifying?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Question Mark Mound posted:

Looks like I'm gonna start with the authenticator!

Please save the emergency removal code that some goons ignored then went ape poo poo about when they couldn't remove their authenticator when the app messed up. Save it! Write it down!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair it's probably about time they redid their lovely authenticator app. I've had to remove it three times in the past few weeks because it kept bugging out.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Just downloaded it. I forgot that pre-retina iPhone apps even still existed.

Are the one time codes linked directly to my SQEX account? As in, if someone else knew my password, they'd still need a code generated by my phone to get in? I have a big random secure password for my SQEX account and changing it to something memorable and quick to type would be nice unless they suddenly decided to add 1Password support or some poo poo into the launcher.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Hey, I'm finally going to buy time for this game for the first time. Anyone have a code they'd like me to enter?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

HMS Beagle posted:

Hey, I'm finally going to buy time for this game for the first time. Anyone have a code they'd like me to enter?
Yes yes yes!

Although it says I need to put your email address into the Mog Station for me to send an invite code. Apparently through the recruitment thing you'll get:

Friendship Circlet
Increases EXP earned by 20% when below level 25.

edit: Worked it out, here's my code: 4TX38E4H
edit: vvv or just use his! He beat me to it. Anyone else feel free to use my code though :)

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 19, 2014

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
Please use mine. Love you forever!

Recruitment Code: 9U2SQRXG

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Robo Reagan posted:

Painful and humiliating while at the same time sexually gratifying?

Only if you beat the fight.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Question Mark Mound posted:

Just downloaded it. I forgot that pre-retina iPhone apps even still existed.

Are the one time codes linked directly to my SQEX account? As in, if someone else knew my password, they'd still need a code generated by my phone to get in? I have a big random secure password for my SQEX account and changing it to something memorable and quick to type would be nice unless they suddenly decided to add 1Password support or some poo poo into the launcher.

Yes. One time passwords are unique to the authenticating device you have (your phone or key authenticator). If you want to change your password after setting up the one-time password authenticator then go ahead.

Also if you ever find yourself with your account compromised, which I haven't heard of or seen this happen to a goon yet so I doubt it'll be something to worry about, SE will work with you pretty willingly since you're using the one-time authenticator.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Sweet, password changed to letmeinkupo

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

TwistedNails posted:

Please save the emergency removal code that some goons ignored then went ape poo poo about when they couldn't remove their authenticator when the app messed up. Save it! Write it down!

Actually this raises a question I had; I got my authenticator way, way back in the day when I was still playing FFXI, so over 5 years now or some ridiculous number. If they displayed the removal code then I don't remember it at all and never wrote it down.

When I log into my SE account info page on the web I can't actually find anything that resembles an emergency removal code. Is it just the serial number? Or do they only show the code once and then that's it? It's not a problem now, but the battery in that token isn't going to last forever.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

You get that code when you apply the authenticator. Probably never wrote it down way back when, because five years ago these existed for these types of RSA keys already.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Varance posted:

S-E has confirmed that recent connection problems have been the result of DDoS attacks against the login servers.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/37fec24c498bce9dd97a2c807ec98757b05b88f3

Is this only causing the login issues, or is it causing the stop and go issues as well? I remember someone said a tunneling program like WTFast would fix the latter, but if it's the DDoS that's causing it I can wait it out.

Meiteron posted:

Actually this raises a question I had; I got my authenticator way, way back in the day when I was still playing FFXI, so over 5 years now or some ridiculous number. If they displayed the removal code then I don't remember it at all and never wrote it down.

When I log into my SE account info page on the web I can't actually find anything that resembles an emergency removal code. Is it just the serial number? Or do they only show the code once and then that's it? It's not a problem now, but the battery in that token isn't going to last forever.

I distinctly remember the battery question coming up when the XI authenticators first came out, and the response was essentially "make sure you unlink your token from your account before the battery dies". Granted, the display will apparently show a "battery low" icon when it's set to die soon, but I've had mine since day 1 and it's still trucking.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You should be able to remove and readd, though, which will give you a new emerg code. Or else it will delete all your gear.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Isn't there simply a place on your mog station account page that will spit out your emergency removal code, no unlink/relink required?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nill posted:

Isn't there simply a place on your mog station account page that will spit out your emergency removal code, no unlink/relink required?

Yeah, so long as you can get in with the OTP of course.

Oh also if you update Android (and I think iOS) your OTP becomes invalid, so if your provider pushes out a firmware update make sure you take care of that beforehand.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh also if you update Android (and I think iOS) your OTP becomes invalid, so if your provider pushes out a firmware update make sure you take care of that beforehand.

Wait what? Why would that happen?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I've gone up two versions of Android (4.2 -> 4.4) and not had my OTP get invalidated, what madness are you talking about?

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

It also doesn't happen on iOS, as I've had multiple updates with the same authenticator. Now if you get a new phone and download your old settings, then the authenticator isn't going to work. Basically everyone needs to get an authenticator.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ilifinicus posted:

I've gone up two versions of Android (4.2 -> 4.4) and not had my OTP get invalidated, what madness are you talking about?

Wait yeah no, I was thinking of a different MMO authenticator. As usual I can be safely disregarded!

Use the authenticator, though.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I made a marking macro for tanking this morning, and it's a little wonky with some groups but it should do the job nicely. It marks the targeted enemy as 1, then moves to the next, marks it 2, moves to the next and marks 3, then moves back to the first target so I can shield lob that sucker.

I love tanking.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Ouhei posted:

I made a marking macro for tanking this morning, and it's a little wonky with some groups but it should do the job nicely. It marks the targeted enemy as 1, then moves to the next, marks it 2, moves to the next and marks 3, then moves back to the first target so I can shield lob that sucker.

I love tanking.

What's the macro?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I've posted mine for that exact purpose a few times

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Wait yeah no, I was thinking of a different MMO authenticator. As usual I can be safely disregarded!

Use the authenticator, though.

Basically this. It's MMO Account security 101. It gets even more annoying when you don't have 2 step set up, you get hacked, and the hacker takes the liberty of installing 2 step for you to lock you out. Thats the point where you have to fish out the original credit card or receipt numbers in order to get your account back.

Edit: Also set up 2 step on your email. I was one of those idiots that had the same password for my email as some old MMO accounts and had both compromised at the same time. Email authentication for password resets mean dick when they have your email password too.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 19, 2014

laststandb
Jul 31, 2014

DeathSandwich posted:

Basically this. It's MMO Account security 101. It gets even more annoying when you don't have 2 step set up, you get hacked, and the hacker takes the liberty of installing 2 step for you to lock you out. Thats the point where you have to fish out the original credit card or receipt numbers in order to get your account back.

Edit: Also set up 2 step on your email. I was one of those idiots that had the same password for my email as some old MMO accounts and had both compromised at the same time. Email authentication for password resets mean dick when they have your email password too.

Considering how important email is nowadays, it probably is a good idea to have a unique password for your email that you will not use anywhere else.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Just encountered this gem in trials roulette:

The best part? It was a WHM, not someone using Mercy Stroke or whatever. That macro existed just to exist.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Now, fall!

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Meiteron posted:

If you have an actual physical authenticator token, you don't get an emergency removal token. Instead you need to write down the serial number on the back of the token and store that somewhere.

Subjunctive posted:

Wait what? Why would that happen?

Pretty sure they generate a serial number on first run and that's stored with the app. So if whoever does your Android updates blows away all the app data on update (and apparently some do) it loses the shared secret and can no longer generate codes.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Vermain posted:

Now, fall!

Wings Unfolding

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Meiteron posted:

I'm pretty sure there's no emergency removal code for the physical authenticators, only for the smartphone apps.

e:f;b

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I'm fairly certain both of them SHOULD be getting the removal code because I can view the serial of my smartphone authenticator too. By that logic, I should only need to write down the serial number of my smartphone authenticator, but that turns out to not be enough.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

PhilippAchtel posted:

What's the macro?
I suppose that would be useful to post!

/mk attack1 <t>
/ac "Target Forward"
/mk attack2 <t>
/ac "Target Forward"
/mk attack3 <t>
/target <attack1>

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

ilifinicus posted:

I'm fairly certain both of them SHOULD be getting the removal code because I can view the serial of my smartphone authenticator too. By that logic, I should only need to write down the serial number of my smartphone authenticator, but that turns out to not be enough.

The removal process is different if you lose your physical token. If you're using the smartphone app and you lose access to it, you can remove it with the emergency removal password. If you have a physical token, you call up customer support and complain. (I have no idea if the serial number is useful in that case or not, but it can't hurt.)

Edit: To be clear, if you still have a working app/token, you can easily remove it. I'm only referring to if you manage to lose/destroy your token/smart phone.

Xenoveritas fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 19, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Best thing to do is to take a screenshot of the emergency password was save it to your dropbox or w/e, its saved my rear end a couple times now.

Use an authenticator though, you get a free teleport location and peace of mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Xenoveritas posted:

Pretty sure they generate a serial number on first run and that's stored with the app. So if whoever does your Android updates blows away all the app data on update (and apparently some do) it loses the shared secret and can no longer generate codes.

Blowing away all the user's data is a pretty bad upgrade experience. I don't think I've ever had that happen in the last ~6 years, and it would keep people from upgrading if it were the case. Terrible if it's happening to people!

• Locked thread