Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How many chiles and what varieties do you guys use for a 5 pound batch? And do you deseed them?

Also how much masa flour? I have never heard of using that.

I usually go for about a pound of background peppers (which would be the jalapenos and/or poblanos in your case) and a cup or so of dried peppers. I keep the seeds in and it really won't matter with the milder peppers you have. There's decent odds that your jalapenos are the variety that rarely has any heat at all.

The chipotles and adobo sauce will be your main heat unless you buy something meaner. I usually throw the whole can in but I also use half a pound of serranos in a batch and really feel the burn. Leave out most of the sauce add it in later if you decide you want more heat. It's basically hot paprika and vinegar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I deseed the chipotles.

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

I made some chili yesterday:

3 lbs chorizo
3 lbs "stew beef" (sirloin and chuck butcher leftovers)
1 1/2 yellow onion
1/2 lb dried chilies (chipotle, ancho, japones, california)
8 cloves garlic
2 tsp cumin seeds
7 jalapeños
7 serranos
3 habaneros
2 poblanos
2 anaheims
small can of tomato paste
2 chipotles in adobo
24 oz lager

I deseed and rehydrate the dried peppers, then make them into a paste with toasted cumin seeds and garlic that is added to the pot after the meat browning and onion sweating. It is pretty tasty, but dangerous.

Edit: I also forgot the masa trick. It works, though!

P_T_S fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 17, 2014

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I'm not exactly sure what the poblanos would be doing in there besides adding some volume, their taste is going to get absolutely lost against all those other, stronger chilis. Otherwise it looks like a pretty rad recipe.

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008
Texas Chili

4 pounds chuck roast, cut into ½-inch cubes
1lb chorizo sausage, casing removed
½ lb chiles- New Mexico, De arbol, Pasilla– deseeded, toasted, rehydrated
1 can chipotle in Adobo w sauce
2 large white onion, coarsely chopped
6 green jalapenos – deseeded chopped small
4 cloves minced garlic
1-2 celery stalks chopped small
6 green jalapenos – chopped small
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon dried basil
Beef broth – To cover.
1 (14.5 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
1 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
1 (12 oz) bottle dark beer- Shiner Bock
3 tbsp cilantro, chopped
1 tsp cinnamon
3 bay leaves
Masa flour – enough to incorporate grease and thicken
Salt and pepper, to taste

Deseed dried Peppers ,Toast peppers- 350 for 7 min. rehydrate w beer or broth(1 hr at least),
Combine rehydrated peppers, whole can of chipotles w sauce, garlic in blender, make into paste. You will need to add a bit of the beer or broth used for rehydration.
Brown Chorizo then brown chuck. – Put in slow cooker
Add broth, tomatoes, pepper paste (don’t use it all, may be too hot), beer & spices
Add broth to cover if necessary. You can cook uncovered to reduce if too much liquid to begin.
Cook on high 8-hrs stirring vigorously at least every 2 hours for incorporation and to break down chuck. Add masa sparingly in last 2 hrs to achieve desired consistency.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Multiple cook-off winning chili - http://www.reddit.com/r/food/comments/2k30b0/i_cant_stop_winning_chili_cookoffs/

Recipe - http://www.reddit.com/r/food/comments/2k30b0/i_cant_stop_winning_chili_cookoffs/clheymj

Jenn's World Famous Award-Winning Taco Chili

quote:

For a big crockpot full....you might want to scale down for a smaller batch!
2 lbs ground beef (I LOVE MEAT)
1 large white onion
4 cans Italian tomato pieces
2 cans Rotel mild green chilis with Lime/Cilantro
1 can corn
1-1.5 package(s) Hidden Valley Ranch powder
1-1.5 package(s) mild taco seasoning
2 packages of Spanish Rice (Knorr)
2 cans pinto beans
2 cans kidney beans
Sea Salt to taste
1 pkg Mexican Cheese Sour Cream

Brown hamburger and onion... Dump all cans and packages into crockpot, it's finished when rice is tender

Add hamburger and onion

Serve with Mexican Cheese, Sour Cream AND THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT......FRITOS SCOOPS!

It's really great when eaten with the Frito's Scoops...it's almost like a dip!

I also like to add some of the cheese into the crockpot to get that super yummy cheesy meltiness going :)
ENJOY!

The ranch powder is key.

+2490 upvotes

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Corn, ranch, and a packet of taco seasoning. :lol:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
the common denominator with all the seasonings in that recipe is MSG.

so basically the recipe is 'hey here's some meat, add MSG!'

which is of course is a crowd pleaser.

that said, that's the worst loving recipe I've seen for chili in like 20 pages of this thread. ugh.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
All the top voted comments are south park jokes from 15 years ago.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
2lbs ground beef (I LOVE MEAT)

Shameful

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Chili: It's almost like a dip!

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

WaterIsPoison posted:

It's Chili season again, and today I thought that I'd take my hand at working on my own variation. You know, for science :science: Please forgive the fact that some of the photos are a bit out of focus, it was an arm day at the gym and I couldn't quite hold the phone steady.

Thanks for posting this. Going through the thread this recipe caught my eye as the one to try and I was not disappointed. Cooked it up yesterday with a few minor alterations. Didn't do the coffee as we don;t drink coffee and buying a bag of coffee for a tablespoon seemed ridiculous. I also re-hydrated the peppers and blended them in the beef stock hydrated them in which quite well in lieu of a proper spice grinder. Rave reviews from the wife which is the most important critic of all. Will be doing regular batches as it should freeze and re-heat brilliantly.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I lurked in this thread for a bit and tried my own variation on Thursday.

I used about 30 bucks worth of local, free range beef.

I browned my chunks of chuck, browned some ground beef, then set it aside. Then I cooked up my onions and garlic, added a liter of beef broth and a bit of tomato paste and re added the meat. There is a local spice merchant and they have a smaller shop at my favorite farmers market. Last week I bought a mild chili blend, a pack on dried anchos, and miraculously, a can of chipotles is adobo (I've never seen these before). I chucked in a whole ancho, a couple tablespoons of the chilli blend, and chopped a few chipotles up and threw them in.

Then I added a can of black beans :nyd: and let it simmer in my dutch oven for a couple hours.

It was so loving good. I will never use a spice packet again.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Echeveria posted:

I lurked in this thread for a bit and tried my own variation on Thursday.

I used about 30 bucks worth of local, free range beef.

I browned my chunks of chuck, browned some ground beef, then set it aside. Then I cooked up my onions and garlic, added a liter of beef broth and a bit of tomato paste and re added the meat. There is a local spice merchant and they have a smaller shop at my favorite farmers market. Last week I bought a mild chili blend, a pack on dried anchos, and miraculously, a can of chipotles is adobo (I've never seen these before). I chucked in a whole ancho, a couple tablespoons of the chilli blend, and chopped a few chipotles up and threw them in.

Then I added a can of black beans :nyd: and let it simmer in my dutch oven for a couple hours.

It was so loving good. I will never use a spice packet again.

I'll forgive you for the black beans because you did everything else right. bravo, welcome to the world of RealChili :) :golfclap:

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
He almost did it right. Lose the tomato paste.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

fuckpot posted:

I like the tomato flavor personally.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

fuckpot posted:

I think a bit of tomato paste is perfectly acceptable. a can of tomatoes is a different story, but paste helps thicken and adds some nice umami depth.

I'm an umami fiend though, I'd be adding fish sauce and some MSG to mine as well...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm going to try chopped mushrooms next time. They'll disintegrate into nothing and leave some good flavor in there. Last time I did chili I added a can of RoTel, which worked well enough.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Alright, help me out here. I've got a batch reducing down right now and I think I went a little enthusiastic on the arbol chiles, because the broth is a little too spicy for me (and will therefore be comedically overspiced for everyone else who's going to eat it). In the interests of keeping my friends, what are my options for toning it down? I'm seriously considering just running to the grocery store and buying canned beans, or reducing it further than normal and serving on tortilla chips with lots of sour cream.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

IIRC, sour cream, a bit of sugar, and bulking it up by serving it over elbow macaroni or rice should help.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Ranch dressing packets will help

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Stir a bunch of plain mashed potatoes into it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Buy a bunch of half-gallon jugs of milk, set one by each place setting, tell your friends to buckle up, and serve it as-is. Build a little character.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Serve over cornbread or Fritos.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
While at some event at my daughter's school I casually mentioned we should have a chili cook off and the idea caught like wild fire. Within 2 hours a date was set and emails had been sent to the parents. So I'm pretty stoked because I don't imagine there will be much real competition.

And my neighbor just gave me a bunch of dried habenero and cayenne so I need to figure out proportions for a chili powder recipe as I've only made the Alton Brown recipe. (3 ancho, 3 cascabel, 3 arbol) I need to keep the powder relatively mild as my wife and youngest daughter don't like spicy food (but they love the AB chili powder) and I don't want to burn the face off anyone at the chili cook off (really I do, but I shouldn't).

ActionHank
Nov 1, 2014

wormil posted:

While at some event at my daughter's school I casually mentioned we should have a chili cook off and the idea caught like wild fire. Within 2 hours a date was set and emails had been sent to the parents. So I'm pretty stoked because I don't imagine there will be much real competition.

And my neighbor just gave me a bunch of dried habenero and cayenne so I need to figure out proportions for a chili powder recipe as I've only made the Alton Brown recipe. (3 ancho, 3 cascabel, 3 arbol) I need to keep the powder relatively mild as my wife and youngest daughter don't like spicy food (but they love the AB chili powder) and I don't want to burn the face off anyone at the chili cook off (really I do, but I shouldn't).

what does the winnner get? if it's not a chunk of cash, make it how you like it and see if you're suprised

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
who is judging? what makes you think they will appreciate good chili vs. taco chili with corn, beans, fritos and ranch dressing packets?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I don't know any of that, I doubt there is a prize as it's just for fun. But I still want to make a good chili.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Chili: It's almost like a dip!

All of my leftover chili ends up being eaten with saltines as a dip or spread. I love me some dry rear end crackers.

adampadam
Nov 3, 2011
So my friend accidentally picked up some bottom round roast rather than chuck roast. Is this a deal breaker?

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

adampadam posted:

So my friend accidentally picked up some bottom round roast rather than chuck roast. Is this a deal breaker?

It is meat and therefore acceptable for making chili with.

I'm guessing bottom round may be more lean? if so you may need to augment with some additional fatty goodness from elsewhere.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Zaepho posted:

It is meat and therefore acceptable for making chili with.

I'm guessing bottom round may be more lean? if so you may need to augment with some additional fatty goodness from elsewhere.

Fat isn't really the key here. Connective tissue is. I'm pretty sure bottom round is lower on that. Either way, its still fine for chili. Add some beef stock (not broth).

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

FaradayCage posted:

Add some beef stock (not broth).

What's the difference, if buying either from a store?

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

d3rt posted:

What's the difference, if buying either from a store?

stock is more gelatinous and will (I think) help make up for a deficit of connective tissue.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

How long do you figure an open can of chipotle in adobo is good for in the fridge?

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Echeveria posted:

How long do you figure an open can of chipotle in adobo is good for in the fridge?

I've heard conflicting reports, so I just freeze the open can in a ziplock and thaw at room temp whenever I need more. If repeated thawing/freezing worries you, I would blend the whole mess into a paste, freeze em in ice cube trays and store in a ziplock bag in the freezer.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I've used things like beef shortribs to make chili and man that poo poo gets greasy as hell. Any ideas? The grease runs RIGHT through me.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bob Morales posted:

I've used things like beef shortribs to make chili and man that poo poo gets greasy as hell. Any ideas? The grease runs RIGHT through me.

Use less fatty cuts of meat, lay paper towels over the top to absorb the fat (also most of the heat), suck it up

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bunnielab posted:

All of my leftover chili ends up being eaten with saltines as a dip or spread. I love me some dry rear end crackers.

Try using leftover chili for chili dogs and Cincinnati style over spaghetti (just don't use Cincinnati style seasonings :barf: ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

I made some mac and cheese with rainbow spiralls and then added leftover chili. Completely transformed both into an awesome meal of deliciousness.

I usually stick with chuck for my beef. Ive tried short ribs and other cuts but i think the chuck works best.

Bob Saget IRL fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 20, 2014