Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Bloodly posted:

You cross out this, but this is very much a truth in CK2, but the reasoning is different. In a 'shattered world' setup where everyone's a Count, the problem is the AI won't bother attack until it somehow gets a large enough advantage that it can win comfortably. Since everyone's a count with no power, that never really comes about, so the little lords keep to themselves.

what about inheritances, and stabbings. Surely after 50 years or so some would pick up steam? (I can't test this myself at the moment)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bitter Mushroom posted:

what about inheritances, and stabbings. Surely after 50 years or so some would pick up steam? (I can't test this myself at the moment)

Some regions do, some don't. North Africa sits at a stalemate for hundreds of years, while the Middle East comes together under a caliphate really quickly. Eastern Europe tears each other up, but there seems to be some stalemates in western Europe. It just depends. I believe gough supressant is working on a mod now that combines shattered world and many tribes (makes all holdings tribal), and adds in some stimulants to get the AI conquering each other.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
So like I said earlier, in After the End I can't press my antipopes claim on the Ursuline See even though she has the Strong Claim and I don't know of any conditions that should prevent that. Where should I be looking in the mod files to see what the problem is and/or to fix it?

edit: so ok, apparently my antipope has to be male because the one I had before died and was succeeded by a dude. CB appeared right away and I successfully pressed the claim. Definitely seems like a bug considering the Ursuline See is supposed to be headed by a woman.

Martello fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 19, 2014

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Just making everyone tribes should help with getting the thunderdome going.

Martial variances to troop counts combined with empty holding bonuses should see a quick disparity in strength which would hopefully result in aggressive AI behavior.

Also first to 500 prestige gets a potential 2500 men, as far as I can tell the AI seems very happy to use the prestige for dudes intrigue choice, although I don't know if they consider it when evaluating potential offensive wars.

Also "Become King of..." ambition is rather common for the AI to pick and then gives the AI a huge range of CB's that single count non-pagan's lack allowing them to take advantage of weakness.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I'm suspecting that the patch actually does do something to nerf the massive Arab empires. Unlike the last few beta patches I played games with, 30 years into my new Charlemagne date start the Umayyad dynasty in Spain split (Talabids in the northwest) and the Abbasids have lost some lands to a revolt and to neighbors. On the other hand, the Sultanate of Africa has gobbled up the land in between its two portions on the west and east. Also, the Byzantines are plowing through the southern half of Lombardy after it split up into Lombardy (north) and Benveneto (south).

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 19, 2014

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
Is there any way to roll back the patch on steam to pre-charlemagne?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Mahasamatman posted:

Yes. Right click on CK2, click on "betas" and you can roll back to 2.1.6 (which was the last pre-CM patch.)

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
I wish I had known that the patch had hit. I'd been completely exploiting the "patricians can't lose elections" bug.

Then I load my game and my patrician dies in 1437 and suddenly my Mediterranean-spanning republic is under the care of some incompetent, rather than the Genius/Attractive wunderkind that I'd been grooming.

As soon as I unpause from death screen instant revolt for independence, with 3/4 of the republic rebelling. I'd been planning on carrying over into EUIV, and sure that'd be an interesting start to it, but no. So I set my retinues to go sit on revolters' capitals, pump a ton of gold into my campaign, and get my stabbing knife ready. A few years (and one carriage-accident) later and I'm back in charge and have white-peaced the revolt. Now to just not rock the boat until 1453 so I can get my drat achievement.

Is there a way to get the Pope to call Crusades for you, or is it just random?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

monster on a stick posted:

Yes. Right click on CK2, click on "betas" and you can roll back to 2.1.6 (which was the last pre-CM patch.)

If you do this, don't forget to check off the Charlemagne DLC in the launcher.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mahasamatman posted:

Yep. I'm at work and dont remember it exactly, but it should be something like: Properties, betas, and select the highest number that is not a Charlemagne beta patch.

e:fb by a mile

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

sloshmonger posted:

I wish I had known that the patch had hit. I'd been completely exploiting the "patricians can't lose elections" bug.

Then I load my game and my patrician dies in 1437 and suddenly my Mediterranean-spanning republic is under the care of some incompetent, rather than the Genius/Attractive wunderkind that I'd been grooming.

As soon as I unpause from death screen instant revolt for independence, with 3/4 of the republic rebelling. I'd been planning on carrying over into EUIV, and sure that'd be an interesting start to it, but no. So I set my retinues to go sit on revolters' capitals, pump a ton of gold into my campaign, and get my stabbing knife ready. A few years (and one carriage-accident) later and I'm back in charge and have white-peaced the revolt. Now to just not rock the boat until 1453 so I can get my drat achievement.

(Once the converter is fixed) you can export from any date. You could start a game in 700whatever with the Charlemagne DLC and immediately convert if you want.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Ofaloaf posted:

Thanks to goon pressure I've gone and removed the trait requirements from the holy war CB (left the cooldown timer and prov proximity checks in though), and from the observer runs I've done so far the AI still seems far less dumb than it used to be, so I guess that'll be that.

I feel bad cause I just came in here to post that after playing a few hours I don't think the requirements are actually all that bad, but I'll take this too :)

Lately I've been listening to a great podcast on the history of the Normans, and it suddenly struck me how strange it is that pretty much all diplomatic actions in CK2 are dynastic. Obviously this is part of the flavor of the game and helps distinguish it from something like EUIV. Still, some kind of bargaining interface would be an amazing dlc addition, as a way to broker alliances with a foreign power you might not be related to (and which might even cross faith lines) but which shares an interest in a third party's titles or desperately needs protection. It would also make vassal management more interesting, as a less forced way for coalitions of unruly counts and dukes to form. Of course I'm pretty sure we're past the point in the game's life cycle where that kind of drastic addition is likely.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
It seems the patch broke the attribute search function. Searching for genetic traits brings up nothing, despite there being people with that trait available.

e: There are also armies marching around that are hostile to me despite not being in any wars.

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 19, 2014

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

It seems the patch broke the attribute search function. Searching for genetic traits brings up nothing, despite there being people with that trait available.

e: There are also armies marching around that are hostile to me despite not being in any wars.

Stop thinking of the game has Human Breeding Kings 2--trust me I know it's hard--and you will be fine.

In fact, you want a really weird game--seriously--make all your marriages political and never turn down a call to war that involves loosing prestige. Do this on Ironman for best results as you avoid the temptation to save scum.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Martello posted:

In After the End, I just made an Ursuline antipope and I'm not getting the Press Antipope's Claim CB against the reigning Abbess-General. Is this a bug or something else? I have the latest github version and every DLC ever made.
I'll have a look at the CB and see what's up with that.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Stop thinking of the game has Human Breeding Kings 2--trust me I know it's hard--and you will be fine.

That doesn't change the fact that the thing seems to be broken.

In fact I think the patch introduced more bugs than it fixed, something weird is going on in my Venice game but I can't quite put my finger on it. The aforementioned armies that are hostile for no reason, allied armies that remain allied after the war we were in ended...

e: I may or may not be an idiot - Usually the search works with incomplete words, right? Searching for "Att" should show anyone with the Attractive trait, right?

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 19, 2014

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Weird, cause Ive played yesterday, with the new patch, and it was working to me.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

e: I may or may not be an idiot - Usually the search works with incomplete words, right? Searching for "Att" should show anyone with the Attractive trait, right?

I don't know if you're actually an idiot; however your mind should be at ease on this account. The search function should work as you've described it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

It's working fine for me, and yes, it does pull up Attractive people on 'Att'. I'm sorry to ask such a dumb question but you're sure you're not accidentally leaving it on Search Court or somesuch, right?

I run no mods so if you run any mods it's possible that has something to do with it.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 19, 2014

Saitorr
Dec 23, 2008

YES THE CARPET MATCHES THE DRAPES IN BOTH COLOR AND LENGTH

ZombieLenin posted:

You do know that eugenics is a perfectly valid way to play the game, and so is non-eugenics, right? I can literally play the game any way I want to and still have fun.

Maybe they're not even breeding geniuses to break the game, maybe they're roleplaying a family with a long tradition of marrying dwarves. Or a chaste mode challenge run I don't know.

Don't let me stop you from being patronizing though.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Saitorr posted:

You do know that eugenics is a perfectly valid way to play the game, and so is non-eugenics, right? I can literally play the game any way I want to and still have fun.

Maybe they're not even breeding geniuses to break the game, maybe they're roleplaying a family with a long tradition of marrying dwarves. Or a chaste mode challenge run I don't know.

Of course you can. I'm not saying their is any superior way to play. Only that their is a way to play the game that's kind of fun even if the search function won't let you search for genetic traits.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dallan Invictus posted:

As I recall it's basically down to "how many subsidiary titles does this one have compared to my current one", but I think "does my ethnicity match the title's" and the dignity bonus some titles have in landed_titles also have an impact on when the AI will switch. (the second of these is definitely true, the first is conjecture).

I'm not sure about the culture match, but the rest is definitely right. The dignity bonus is actually just a straight "Pretend this title has X more land holdings than it actually does" check, so something that gives +1 dignity and has 10 lands under it will be treated as having 11 lands under it by the AI when choosing a primary title; they will always pick the title with the most land. That's why stuff like the Papacy has dignity bonuses like +100, to ensure that the Pope will always set it to their primary title even if they happen to pick up another kingdom title somehow.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So how do merchant republics work, exactly? I don't have the Republic DLC, so I'm mainly wondering what their trade posts in my territory mean for me. Do I get some extra gold from them, or should I be embargoing them all day every day?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Dareon posted:

So how do merchant republics work, exactly? I don't have the Republic DLC, so I'm mainly wondering what their trade posts in my territory mean for me. Do I get some extra gold from them, or should I be embargoing them all day every day?

They increase the tax revenue for the cities in the province, which you get a share of via city taxes.

In other news, the Abbasids just collapsed in my game... but at the same time the Byzantines somehow converted to Islam. :shepicide:

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Has the new patch done something weird to the shields for countries in your games?

Because its swapped my nice looking 3 Crowns of Scandinavia out for a giant with a club, the Empire of brittania for three scimitars, the Kingdom of England for lions next to a tower, etc.

Its done something similar with Ireland and the Roman Empire.

Is this a bug or did the new patch deliberately make some changes?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Saitorr posted:

That reminds me, I've yet to get the dwarf fortress achievement. Does anyone know of a good start with an unmarried dwarf ruler so I can start my breeding program?

Also, since nobody answered yet: does the Bulgarian culture already exist in the Charlemagne timeframe or is it a result of a melting pot event? I hope it's the latter because I love melting pots.

E: apparently the easiest way to get that achievement is just to search for people with the dwarf trait and invite them to your court. Apparently there's also a honorary title called Court Dwarf.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Nov 20, 2014

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Having tested this it appears to work fine, can anyone else confirm or deny search working?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Fuligin posted:

Lately I've been listening to a great podcast on the history of the Normans, and it suddenly struck me how strange it is that pretty much all diplomatic actions in CK2 are dynastic. Obviously this is part of the flavor of the game and helps distinguish it from something like EUIV. Still, some kind of bargaining interface would be an amazing dlc addition, as a way to broker alliances with a foreign power you might not be related to (and which might even cross faith lines) but which shares an interest in a third party's titles or desperately needs protection. It would also make vassal management more interesting, as a less forced way for coalitions of unruly counts and dukes to form. Of course I'm pretty sure we're past the point in the game's life cycle where that kind of drastic addition is likely.

It'd be nice to ally fellow co-religionists especially when you're a heretic of some sort. If I take Rome and make it Fraticelli when it's surrounded by Catholics it seems ridiculous that the pope wouldn't be automatically allied with me.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Darkrenown posted:

Having tested this it appears to work fine, can anyone else confirm or deny search working?

I think he is probably just searching in his court/realm or some such but the ones he are looking for are outside of whatever scope he is searching in.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
You...You can search for traits? :negative:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
There's some weird thing where you can be scrolled to the bottom of the search window before you apply a filter, then when you refine the search all the new results appear above the page of whatever was being displayed, so it appears blank. If you scroll back up to the top they'll show up. This is especially likely if you're limiting it to rare attributes like genius. Worth a shot?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Darkrenown posted:

Its working normally to me, tested with the latest patch.

I switched from the huge Ibadi empire I had created and now Im playing on the same world as Duke of Portucale (trying to eat what is left of sunni Andaluzia), but Im always keeping an eye on my old realm.

And its funny (and a bit infuriating) to see how bad the AI is managing my old empire. Some decisions I cant even understand.

I left an empire as stable as it gets: 100% of the vassals with 50+ opinion, a genius ruler with excelent stats and a good desmene, all centralized in one region, the way I like it (all Tripoli and almost all of Aleppo and Damascus) and 0% decadence. Ive been very generous with sultan titles, though, I gave then all except for Syria and Arabia, so the empire had some pretty strong king-level vassals, but they all loved me. And I left a very good heir chosen, a genius too, and Ive made him Sultan of Armenia so he was the heir.

In around 20 years the AI:

1- destroyed both the king titles I had kept to myself (Syria and Arabia), keeping only the empire level titles. Because of this, the Emir of Medina managed to recreate Sultanate of Arabia for himself some years later;

2- gave all the desmene except for Aleppo for his heir, the Sultan of Armenia. And then transfered the capital to Aleppo (was Damascus);

3- somehow let decadence pile up to 40%;

1 & 2 I cant even begin to understand why the gently caress would he do that. 3 is also quite an achievement, cause in around 150 years I never managed to have more than 5% decadence and I wanst even doing much to avoid it.

With all that, the empire went from having 85K armies to 70K in 20 years. Still too strong for anybody, but at this rate the AI should run it into the ground in a few generations.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 20, 2014

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
So I finally went back to my Sicilian Empire game and found I can't raise ANY vassal levies. Not one. The only major thing that's changed since last time I played it is I installed Charlemagne.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Gough Suppressant posted:

You...You can search for traits? :negative:

Yep, and you can also search for dynasty, in case you have a big family and need someone of your dynasty with decent stats to rule some newly conquered territory.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Martello posted:

So I finally went back to my Sicilian Empire game and found I can't raise ANY vassal levies. Not one. The only major thing that's changed since last time I played it is I installed Charlemagne.

Are you way over the vassal limit? Being over reduces taxes and levies from vassals. Potentially all the way down to zero if you're far enough over.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

I have a picture of my issue.

Keep in mind it's quite possible I just had a huge fart stuck in my brain and missed the obvious, even after 800 hours of CK2. :downs:

It's when I click on the engagement ring on the character screen.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I've had this same problem when searching for members of the Karling dynasty, it only showed 2 of them while there were about 20 available.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

I have a picture of my issue.

Keep in mind it's quite possible I just had a huge fart stuck in my brain and missed the obvious, even after 800 hours of CK2. :downs:

It's when I click on the engagement ring on the character screen.

The Marriage screen ONLY shows suitable brides where the employer/liege/father/whatevs will allow the marriage. Meaning there is NONE suitable bride with the trait you are searching for. You should do like the pro's and use the character finder, find your dream wife and bribe the father to give her to you. If he refuses send a few raiders their way to kidnap her instead. Works every time, preferred method by the devs!

Edit: Also I think I might have messed up and forgotten to add the search for traits functionality to that window.... ops....

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Groogy posted:

Edit: Also I think I might have messed up and forgotten to add the search for traits functionality to that window.... ops....

Im pretty sure I can search for "genius" on that screen, Ive done it several times.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Ratpick posted:

That reminds me, I've yet to get the dwarf fortress achievement. Does anyone know of a good start with an unmarried dwarf ruler so I can start my breeding program?

Also, since nobody answered yet: does the Bulgarian culture already exist in the Charlemagne timeframe or is it a result of a melting pot event? I hope it's the latter because I love melting pots.

E: apparently the easiest way to get that achievement is just to search for people with the dwarf trait and invite them to your court. Apparently there's also a honorary title called Court Dwarf.

Yeah, I just married a bunch of my unimportant courtiers to women with thee dwarf trait to get this achievement.

Honestly I've got roughly 65% of the pre -CE achievements, and the two hardest--that I've actually tried to get--by far are Empressive and the one for sacrificing the pope.

Edit

I didn't start caring about the achievements until it got much harder to get a norse Byzantium.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 20, 2014

• Locked thread