Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Obviously, they learned from the Prius that people will pay a premium to show off their eco-friendly car (depending on the neighborhood they lived in). It's why the Prius is so popular while the Civic Hybrid isn't. Freakonomics had a podcast about it and they found that people paid a few thousand more for the car because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
beaten. The early adopter crowd loved the fact that Prius was 'uniquely styled'.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Safety Dance posted:

Obviously, what a gutless commutermobile needs is GAPING INTAKES.

I read that those are actually necessary, because the fuel cell needs a surprising amount of cooling. Plus it's the oxygen intake for the system as well.

The car is still super ugly, though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At least the Prius has some justification for its shape, it's super boring, but it's also pretty efficient aerodynamically. I think it still has one of the lowest drag coefficients available in a production car. That dull rear end generic shape has become a bit of an icon because it's changed so little since the first version.

That new car? What the gently caress man.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Ghost Farts posted:

I read that those are actually necessary, because the fuel cell needs a surprising amount of cooling. Plus it's the oxygen intake for the system as well.

The car is still super ugly, though.

The gaping intakes do appear to be mostly full of radiator, so I think you're right.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

DefaultPeanut posted:

How a friend wired power to the amp in the back of his Subaru Outback. The white extension cord runs all the way to the battery, unfused. Black for positive, white for ground.
I'm pretty sure the red and blue cables are for the speaker -/+.

As a former mobile electronics installer, I'm just going to go over and cry in the corner quietly.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

As a former mobile electronics installer, I'm just going to go over and cry in the corner quietly.

At least they got the polarity right. In single phase AC, black is hot and white is neutral.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Obviously, what a gutless commutermobile needs is GAPING INTAKES.

Pretty sure that's toyota's slogan in their newest magazine ads.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Powershift posted:

It's a serious case of acute Lexusitus, the disease is spreading.

They're even trying to jazz up the traditionally boring as hell Camry in that stupid wedding commercial that's been airing. And guess what's on the front end!

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 224 days!)

xzzy posted:

guess what's on the front end!

I ate your tires, Clarieesseee. They were delicious. With some Fava beans, and a nice Chianti Slurp<whap, whap, whap-whap-whap>.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Powershift posted:

No ring, though.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

xzzy posted:

They're even trying to jazz up the traditionally boring as hell Camry in that stupid wedding commercial that's been airing. And guess what's on the front end!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's the homer!

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Powershift posted:

It's the homer!

Probably gonna be in the minority for this, but wrong thread.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

DiggityDoink posted:

No I'd ball the hell out of that. Plus that rear entry would be soooo rad for the lady with bad bones. I'm in, I want it. Where can I buy it.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

DiggityDoink posted:

If loving that is wrong, I don't want to be right.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 224 days!)

..you can even see where the handles are wrapped. What the hell?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I was strugling with which thread to place it, but in the end it was just too wacky to be awesome.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/auto...ad-of-its-time/

Maybe this hitch will sway you

Perhaps chrysler could have done this on the SRT-8 Jeep and kept the center exhaust.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Powershift posted:

I was strugling with which thread to place it, but in the end it was just too wacky to be awesome.

Perhaps chrysler could have done this on the SRT-8 Jeep and kept the center exhaust.

I wouldn't tow my loving Hobie Cat with that hitch :stare:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

xzzy posted:

I actually liked the more aggressive direction Toyota was going with their styling (boring car, but at least it looked good), but that right there just stepped off the edge. Not quite Full Retard like the hydrogen thing, but, yeah, Lexusitus.

e:
I'm really conflicted on that Mohs. It's impressive, but that styling...

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 19, 2014

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Powershift posted:

That link makes it even cooler and does nothing to sway me from my original "wrong thread" remark.

I would have paid the 20k back in '67 for one if I was born then.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Look guys, when an LFA loves a Prius very much....

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What the poo poo is with all of these multi-tone cars being birthed from other cars with completely different styling recently?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
it's ~*Futuristic*~ and you can show off to your friends that you're so energy efficient and love the environment so hard that you're willing to ditch your perfectly functioning car (probably a prius) and spend boatloads of money buying a new one.

Also the bmw i3 is Still the ugliest of all of those.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Exactly what I was thinking.

Although if I'm honest, if the car had the little red light that moves back and forth with the "wowow....wowow" sound I'd be a lot more open to it. It would be Knight Rider coming to life.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ludicro posted:

Exactly what I was thinking.

Although if I'm honest, if the car had the little red light that moves back and forth with the "wowow....wowow" sound I'd be a lot more open to it. It would be Knight Rider coming to life.

"Entering fuel-conservation mode, Michael."

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Slavvy posted:

"Entering fuel-conservation mode, Michael."

Sweet jumps off cliffs save fuel, you're converting gravitational potential into kinetic energy with no fuel use at all. :colbert:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Powershift posted:

It's the homer!

That thing looks cosy as gently caress inside and the windows are huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge. I want it.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Uthor posted:

Obviously, they learned from the Prius that people will pay a premium to show off their eco-friendly car (depending on the neighborhood they lived in). It's why the Prius is so popular while the Civic Hybrid isn't. Freakonomics had a podcast about it and they found that people paid a few thousand more for the car because of that.

Whenever you hear Freakonomics advocate an idea you should put your thinking cap on, because chances are decent they just did some shallow "analysis" to help people feel clever about having bad opinions. This "Prius-won-because-environmentalists-are-vain" meme is pretty bad. You don't have to look far to find lots of other reasons to explain why things turned out the way they did:

- The Prius went on sale multiple years before the Civic Hybrid
- AFAIK, Prius had the better hybrid drivetrain, and still does today (better EPA ratings anyways)
- Honda's first hybrid was the Insight, not the Civic. That car easily won the early hybrid look-at-me award, but it didn't sell well.
- The original XW10 Prius was boring and generic, not distinctive.

The Insight's failure to take the world by storm was probably because it was a 2-seater with very little cargo room. But if hybrid buyers actually were driven by a need to show off, there wasn't much better than the Insight. The contemporary Prius looked like a generic poverty spec microcar.

IMO the later Kammback Prius design's huge success was the mirror image of the Insight's failure. If you're going to buy a small car, a hatchback is pretty great. I know this because once upon a time I owned a Geo Metro. You can fit ludicrous amounts of stuff inside a hatchback when you fold the rear seats down (even a subcompact hatch like the Metro), and they have more legroom and headroom than you'd expect for the wheelbase.

The Civic and Prius were both significantly more expensive than non-hybrid options in their size class. People who had the money and inclination to buy a hybrid otherwise would've been in the market for something bigger, and the Kammback Prius design was a much better substitute for a larger vehicle.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I thought the first generation Insight was cool and 15-year-old-me wanted one simply because it looked like the future, mileage didn't matter. It's a shame the new Insight just tried to be a budget Prius and not either a Fit hybrid or a continuation of its predecessor. Probably still wouldn't have sold either way though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

BobHoward posted:

Whenever you hear Freakonomics advocate an idea you should put your thinking cap on,

It's been a few years since I listened to it, but I think the podcast argued that people that lived in "green" communities were willing to pay more for a Prius than people outside of those communities, thus signifying that showing off to their neighbors that they, too, are green. Purchase of other hybrids was more even outside of those "green" communities with the Prius having less of a spike.

The people they had on the show (Alison and Steve Sexton) are referenced on Wikipedia:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspicuous_conservation

There's a link to a PDF of their paper. I just gave it a quick scan and, your right, it doesn't look at merits of the Prius over other cars, but I think they were just looking at relative adoption rates.

There was also the argument that people will spend more on solar panels instead of less conspicuous energy efficiency improvements that would be more cost effective just because their neighbors can see the panels.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 19, 2014

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Here's some freaky, freaky nomics for ya:
People will pay more for a car if they are inclined to desire the display of status or wealth to others or even just themselves. See: every premium car brand, restyled platform, or upgraded trim package ever.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Which was my original point: people will buy an ugly distinct hydrogen car to indicate that they are driving a hydrogen car.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
it runs on pure smug

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

nthalp posted:

it runs on pure smug

Makes sense to, it's the most common element in the universe.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Linedance posted:

See: every premium car brand, restyled platform, or upgraded trim package ever.

Yeah! Those platform upgrades and higher trim packages never have anything of real value in them. Who would ever want garbage like heated leather seats, sunroofs, better safety, and more powerful/efficient engines? Just of a bunch of conspicuous consumption trying to impress other people! :rolleyes:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Guinness posted:

Yeah! Those platform upgrades and higher trim packages never have anything of real value in them. Who would ever want garbage like heated leather seats, sunroofs, better safety, and more powerful/efficient engines? Just of a bunch of conspicuous consumption trying to impress other people! :rolleyes:

Why would you buy an Audi over a lower priced VW? Who would pay extra for colour matched mirrors or bumpers? Alloy wheels? Why honestly would anybody buy a Porsche Cayenne instead of a Tuareg?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Is there anywhere outside of CA that even has hydrogen filling stations?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Linedance posted:

Why would you buy an Audi over a lower priced VW? Who would pay extra for colour matched mirrors or bumpers? Alloy wheels? Why honestly would anybody buy a Porsche Cayenne instead of a Tuareg?

Only one of your examples has anything to do with your argument, and that's color matched mirrors or bumpers.

Everything else is so completely out of touch with reality that I can only assume you don't know anything about cars and are trolling the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

eyebeem posted:

Only one of your examples has anything to do with your argument, and that's color matched mirrors or bumpers.

Everything else is so completely out of touch with reality that I can only assume you don't know anything about cars and are trolling the thread.

People were suggesting that the only reason to buy a Prius over a Civic hybrid is for a conspicuous display of status, and you're saying that buying a badge engineered VW for a lot more money isn't, and I'm the one who's out of touch?