Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Well which is it in Gladiator and how is it supposed to work? Thumbs up means you DO want the guy to die and thumbs down means you don't? I think the Hollywood version is more...cinematic, if that's the case.

Thumbs up was basically a signal that mimed the motion of thrusting your sword into the other guy's throat, while thumbs down mimed sheathing your sword and sparing him. So it's the exact opposite of everything you see in movies, and probably wouldn't have been a strict thumb up or thumb down signal either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

There is no scholarly consensus on which way is correct, or even if the thumbs up/down gesture was used. The only certainty is that the thumb was involved.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Memento posted:

So you only need to sit through 3.9* seasons of dreck to get to the good stuff? Sign me up! :rolleyes:

*the first episode of the first season was good, and all I've seen of it. I'm ok with this.

It really just depends on your tolerance for silliness. Season 2 is absurdly boring but they slowly began to understand that people mostly just want to see zombies killing people or getting killed and not have characters try to tackle abortion. This season is the first where I feel comfortable saying it's actually a good show and not just good trash TV. But I watch more than enough "prestige" television to have earned a schlocky horror adventure once in a while without feeling guilty about it.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Byzantine posted:

There is no scholarly consensus on which way is correct, or even if the thumbs up/down gesture was used. The only certainty is that the thumb was involved.

Thank you. It always gets hilarious watching people argue over which way was right, when we literally don't know if it was a thing at all. There was at least one show I watched where the thought had been put forward by a historian that thumbs up (if it was used) was "raise your sword, you won" (spare him) and there was no thumbs down: instead, the thumb was pressed to your chest to signify the order for death. Again, no scholarly consensus, but another potentially scholarly view.

Ridley Scott literally got his inspiration for Gladiator, and the use of the thumb, from a 19th Century painting, and ignored historical advisors to the point that at least one wanted their name removed from the credits. That alone is rationally irritating enough.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Henchman of Santa posted:

It really just depends on your tolerance for silliness. Season 2 is absurdly boring but they slowly began to understand that people mostly just want to see zombies killing people or getting killed and not have characters try to tackle abortion. This season is the first where I feel comfortable saying it's actually a good show and not just good trash TV. But I watch more than enough "prestige" television to have earned a schlocky horror adventure once in a while without feeling guilty about it.

Truth. I'm honestly surprised that this half-season has gone so well, I wonder if writers have been changed or something. Every season seems to start off really strong and then go off the rails 4-5 episodes in. The best thing about Season 2 though is Shane and Zombie-Sophia getting killed. I could only take so much of Darryl shouting "SOPHIA!" in every direction.

I'd still binge through season 2 if you're watching the series from the start, but man is it boring.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Thank you. It always gets hilarious watching people argue over which way was right, when we literally don't know if it was a thing at all. There was at least one show I watched where the thought had been put forward by a historian that thumbs up (if it was used) was "raise your sword, you won" (spare him) and there was no thumbs down: instead, the thumb was pressed to your chest to signify the order for death. Again, no scholarly consensus, but another potentially scholarly view.

Ridley Scott literally got his inspiration for Gladiator, and the use of the thumb, from a 19th Century painting, and ignored historical advisors to the point that at least one wanted their name removed from the credits. That alone is rationally irritating enough.

Well, I know what camp my Latin professor was in, I guess. I did read something about Gladiator saying that one of the consultants had told Ridley Scott to reverse the thumbs up/thumbs down but he had been ignored. But then, you're right, Ridley Scott ignored a lot of things.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

mng posted:

Ha, that's the point where I lost interest in the show. lovely local chapter goes on wacky hijinx in Ireland! I hear it only gets worse (or better if you're so inclined). First few seasons weren't half bad though.

Instead, watch Justified.
I persevered with Sons of Anarchy in the name of marital bliss all the way through that horseshit and even the season they spent building drama around the idea that one of the club members secretly had a black father and if the rest of the club found out they'd skin him alive (despite them having an entirely black chapter of the club in an earlier season). The tipping point for me was the bit where they're all about to be arrested by an army of police, FBI and ATF only to have the heads of a mexican drug cartel show up, flash CIA badges and say nobody is allowed to arrest the Sons because reasons.

So yeah, watch Justified instead.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

If you want an actual gladiatorial truth that movies miss...they were sports stars.

They had advertising contracts, they shilled products. They had action figures made in their image, with little accessories for the gladiator's preferred weapon. Their stats were recorded and published in an official newsletter, and sometimes carved into their tombs.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

If you're in the mood for silly zombie murdering stuff, consider giving Z Nation a try. It actually embraces the premise right away and aims to be just plain entertaining and fun first and foremost, while still managing to sneak in some drama now and then. The characters are enjoyably competent for a change, and also have a discrete long-term goal to strive towards. The first two episodes are a bit rough, but it quickly finds its pace after that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Byzantine posted:

And Ridley Scott probably just went with the one that makes sense to people today instead of just confusing them by the Emperor doing thumbs up and the guy dying. Its not like the rest of the movie was historically accurate except this one point.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Christian Bale and Joel Edgerton as the leads in Exodus. Also another movie about Moses. There are other stories in the bible.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Byzantine posted:

If you want an actual gladiatorial truth that movies miss...they were sports stars.

They had advertising contracts, they shilled products. They had action figures made in their image, with little accessories for the gladiator's preferred weapon. Their stats were recorded and published in an official newsletter, and sometimes carved into their tombs.

Gladiator sort of had action figures. There's a scene where they're showing the crowds outside the stadium and there's a marionette show going on. They're showing a fight between Maximus and the Emperor. I think there was a little stand next to it where they were selling toys.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Perestroika posted:

If you're in the mood for silly zombie murdering stuff, consider giving Z Nation a try. It actually embraces the premise right away and aims to be just plain entertaining and fun first and foremost, while still managing to sneak in some drama now and then. The characters are enjoyably competent for a change, and also have a discrete long-term goal to strive towards. The first two episodes are a bit rough, but it quickly finds its pace after that.

Almost watched it. Saw DJ Qualls was in it. No thank you.

Guess I'll never get a decent zombie show. :smith:

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Byzantine posted:

Also, most fights did not end in deaths. At least not directly, a fair few of them probably caused latter death by infections.

It was really expensive to train, equip and promote a gladiator, they weren't nearly as disposable as movies want to portray them.

Eibon
Oct 30, 2007

Brought to you by Fishy Joe's.

Aphrodite posted:

Blight is a real thing.

I guess yeah it's technically alive but not the way he was thinking.

Real world blights are mostly bacteria and fungi, though. If Interstellar's blight was caused by one of those, then it's alive. If it was caused by a virus or prion or something then it wouldn't breathe.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gaunab posted:

Christian Bale and Joel Edgerton as the leads in Exodus. Also another movie about Moses. There are other stories in the bible.

Why haven't we gotten a badass Samson movie?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Because they'd have to cast The Rock, then people would get confused by "Rock Samson" and think it was a live-action Venture Bros movie, then when they found out that wasn't the case there would be a riot.

Studio Execs have to take this kind of stuff into consideration.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Cowslips Warren posted:

In The Walking Dead, where the gently caress are all the flies? Every zombie should be full of maggots. For that poo poo, the gently caress are all the animals? Dogs, cats, loving birds?

In WWZ (the book) they said that only people could become zombies but that the virus was fatal to basically everything. So vultures, rats, and even insects were staying away. It's one of the reasons they're so well preserved despite being dead for years.

So just go with something like that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Medieval Medic posted:

Also, most fights did not end in deaths. At least not directly, a fair few of them probably caused latter death by infections.

It was really expensive to train, equip and promote a gladiator, they weren't nearly as disposable as movies want to portray them.

The show Spartacus brings this up. A gladiator is killed in combat and it pissed off his owner since he cost so much to train and care for. Most battles in the show were not to the death, unless it was a special event.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If Gladiator had actually been historically accurate they would have had the villain decapitate a running ostrich with a dart and have hundreds of amputees tied together so he could club them to death in public while pretending they were giants.

Then he got strangled to death by a wrestler in a bath house because the senate was tired of his poo poo.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Last Sampson movie that was worth a drat was WAY back in the day with Victor Mature.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

If Gladiator had actually been historically accurate they would have had the villain decapitate a running ostrich with a dart and have hundreds of amputees tied together so he could club them to death in public while pretending they were giants.

Then he got strangled to death by a wrestler in a bath house because the senate was tired of his poo poo.

Also he renamed the city, Senate, people, navy, legions and months of the year after himself.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dr_Amazing posted:

In WWZ (the book) they said that only people could become zombies but that the virus was fatal to basically everything. So vultures, rats, and even insects were staying away. It's one of the reasons they're so well preserved despite being dead for years.

So just go with something like that.
There are wild animals everywhere so that doesn't really work. It's just an SFX thing. I'm not a zombie connoisseur but I can't think of any movie where they've had flies following them around.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Pilchenstein posted:

I laughed my crabs off for a week when she killed that other little girl. They clearly meant it to be this huge moment that would shock people and it was so predictable and stupid - they clearly think they're making The Wire or Breaking Bad or something but they're so pedestrian it hurts. Like the episode the other week with that lass in the hospital - you know from the very start it's going to turn out to be a rapey hospital because they've done cannibals and psychopaths and rape is next on the big list of shocking things they're working from.
They actually addressed "rapey" late in season 4, when Rick's son is being manhandled by a dude. Then Rick turns around and bites another man's throat out. I kinda liked that part.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

kinmik posted:

They actually addressed "rapey" late in season 4, when Rick's son is being manhandled by a dude. Then Rick turns around and bites another man's throat out. I kinda liked that part.

They also did it in season 3 when the Governor was threatening to rape Maggie, and made Glen think he did.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

bobkatt013 posted:

They also did it in season 3 when the Governor was threatening to rape Maggie, and made Glen think he did.

That's where I was really glad they didn't stick to the source. I don't know if it's really a spoiler but the governor rapes and tortures the gently caress out of Michonne. He's comically evil in the comics. I'm glad they didn't do the same with Maggie.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

mng posted:

That's where I was really glad they didn't stick to the source. I don't know if it's really a spoiler but the governor rapes and tortures the gently caress out of Michonne. He's comically evil in the comics. I'm glad they didn't do the same with Maggie.

Lets not forget in the comics it was Hi Rick! bye hand!

KoB
May 1, 2009

TheFallenEvincar posted:

With Interstellar I was a bit irritated at the fact that the lady scientist is the one who succumbs most to sentimentality and THE POWER OF THE HEART. McConaughey's character gets sentimental and schmaltzy too, but for the most part he's the paragon of cold logic alongside the guy who gets blown up by Matt Damon. I mean, I'm not usually this kind of dude and it's probably irrational, but I was kinda like "For real?". I get that they're all under extreme pressure but the scene comes off kind of like McConaughey has to talk down this irrational sentimental woman and her rejection of logic. The fact that she was right didn't really change that. It's like the idea that Hillary Clinton wouldn't make a good president because she'd be, I don't know, blushing because Vlad Putin took his shirt off or something, or she's unable to be firm under pressure.

Also maybe the great perfect astronaut guy Matt Damon stubbornly trying to jam himself into an explosive decompression situation like it's a vending machine claw game, apparently unaware of the fact that "this ought to about do it!!!" is an extremely dangerous way to dock in outerspace. I mean, Hathaway scientist knew it was a bad idea but Matt Damon is just like "Shut up, shut up, I've almost got this!! Just JAM UP IN THERE, I'm sure this isn't dangerous!!!!"
I guess I'm more amused by the scene than angry at it though, it's excusable by saying they updated docking procedures since he's been gone and/or Matt Damon was just survival instinct/space crazy.

Well, she was also right. Coop went on pure logic twice in a row and hosed up. If he truly loved her, her boyfriend/whatever had the highest probability of being right, since he wouldn't want her to be stranded on a lovely planet with him and doom humanity like Mann.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Byzantine posted:

I'm certainly not a historian and I bet you know far more than me on this so I concede that I'm probably wrong... but I remember reading some history boffin who said there is nothing to suggest thumbs were involved at all, but lots of images survive of gladiators using their finger to plead for mercy.

One of these images even has a gladiator appealing to a referee for a decision, which makes me laugh as having a ref step in to score points seems really alien to our idea of what gladiatorial combat was like.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I just like to think that those gladiators are flipping off various people.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Morpheus posted:

"gently caress you, you're not my real emperor"

FishMist
Apr 24, 2005

*sniff sniff*
"those of us who are about die, tell you to go gently caress yourself"

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

There are wild animals everywhere so that doesn't really work. It's just an SFX thing. I'm not a zombie connoisseur but I can't think of any movie where they've had flies following them around.

I'm not an entomologist but would the fact that zombies are still moving around help keep the number of maggots to a minimum?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Who What Now posted:

I'm not an entomologist but would the fact that zombies are still moving around help keep the number of maggots to a minimum?

Maggots live pretty happily in the wounds of living people.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Morpheus posted:

The gesture had similar "gently caress you!" meaning in the Empire as it does today; Romans believed the blood vessels in the middle finger ran directly to the genitals, so flipping someone off was like showing them your erect cock.

Supposedly, Caligula would wear the imperial rings on his middle finger, so visitors had to symbolically kiss his dick when greeting him.

Dr Scoofles posted:

I'm certainly not a historian and I bet you know far more than me on this so I concede that I'm probably wrong... but I remember reading some history boffin who said there is nothing to suggest thumbs were involved at all, but lots of images survive of gladiators using their finger to plead for mercy.

There's not much to go on in any direction, honestly.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

HopperUK posted:

Maggots live pretty happily in the wounds of living people.

Yeah, they're more about the difference between "alive" and "dead" instead of "moving" and "not moving".

I just think it's weird that somehow, everyone on earth got infected with a virus that all decided it was going to simultaneously zombify anyone who died, all at the same time, in every infected person. It's like the game Pandemic.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, they're more about the difference between "alive" and "dead" instead of "moving" and "not moving".

I just think it's weird that somehow, everyone on earth got infected with a virus that all decided it was going to simultaneously zombify anyone who died, all at the same time, in every infected person. It's like the game Pandemic.

Well we actually don't know the global scale of the outbreak in The Walking Dead. Theoretically it could be limited to just North America. But if it was airborne and was only noticeable once someone died it's likely it spread via air travel over a few days or weeks before anyone had any reason to suspect anything.

What I'm getting at is it's an open question.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

In the show they ruin that possible suspense. When they're in the CDC place in Atlanta the guy there says that there were simultaneous outbreaks everywhere, and that France was the last holdout ding any research into a cure.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaramin posted:

In the show they ruin that possible suspense. When they're in the CDC place in Atlanta the guy there says that there were simultaneous outbreaks everywhere, and that France was the last holdout ding any research into a cure.

I know Americans typically think America is the entire world and that nobody else can achieve anything, particularly when it comes to military action, but do you really think that if the rest of the world was uninfected after several years there wouldn't be someone doing something for America - like evacuating the living?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Jedit posted:

I know Americans typically think America is the entire world and that nobody else can achieve anything, particularly when it comes to military action, but do you really think that if the rest of the world was uninfected after several years there wouldn't be someone doing something for America - like evacuating the living?

What's the rest of the world going to do, trawl the entire continent at random with helicopters looking for small groups of infected rednecks they can bring back, bringing the zombie plague with them and destroying what's left of the world in the process?