Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

lenoon posted:

They're worse but they are kind of necessary to read before you can skip right to the good books,

Eh. You could just go read the summaries of Istvaan III or whatever on the Lexicanum and you'd get everything important from those two books. They're pretty awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Just finished the first Space Wolves omnibus by William King and although it's not the worst I've read it's pretty weak. Certainly could have benefited from better editing. It doesn't help that I read Prospero Burns this year which was the first book that made the Space Wolves seem interesting to me.

You are aware that those books are some of the first ever BL novels published, right? Also, Bill King is a very pulpy writer - you're not going to get to the level of Abnett with him.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

berzerkmonkey posted:

You are aware that those books are some of the first ever BL novels published, right? Also, Bill King is a very pulpy writer - you're not going to get to the level of Abnett with him.

I enjoyed the Inquisition Wars (as strange as they were) and I thought some of those books were also quite early.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SRM posted:

I would love to read a book about the Tallarn tank campaign, it would just read like a novel about the Desert Rats.

Desert Rats crossed with Lawrence of Arabia. Which would actually be pretty sweet.

The origins of the fantasy genre is mashup historical fiction, I wish more writers would remember that.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 19, 2014

Quills
Mar 24, 2007

Mange Mite posted:

Desert Rats crossed with Lawrence of Arabia. Which would actually be pretty sweet.

The origins of the fantasy genre is mashup historical fiction, I wish more writers would remember that.

There's a novella that ended very open for a sequel. Tallarn Executioner I think.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Dick Trauma posted:

I enjoyed the Inquisition Wars (as strange as they were) and I thought some of those books were also quite early.

Inquisitor was released about a decade before Black Library was even created, so yeah, you could say that.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Is space marine by ian watson the first wham novel?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Khizan posted:

Eh. You could just go read the summaries of Istvaan III or whatever on the Lexicanum and you'd get everything important from those two books. They're pretty awful.

Yeah I think reading about the heresy on lexicanum is the way to go. You'd get an understanding of the entire thing and get to pick and choose which books you want to read. All of them basically just expands on the summaries without deviating from what happens anyway.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe

I would get this, simply because the gaunt series are my favourite from the library and I'm an idiot with money but god drat my pay isn't until next week.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Battle for the Abyss must be experienced first hand, the Lexicanum fails to capture the sheer artistry that went into its creation.

In all seriousness, yes - you should skip the last two books of the original trilogy and read about the Dropsite Massacre and the Legion purges/Horus' fall in a wiki.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Waroduce posted:

Is space marine by ian watson the first wham novel?

Close to it. I remember reading it in the early 90s and loving it but I'm not sure if your modern day reader would since a lot of the fluff no longer adds up. I think it was either that or the book of short stories including the awesome with Native American Dark Angels.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Helicon One posted:

Inquisitor was released about a decade before Black Library was even created, so yeah, you could say that.

It was also written at a time where tons of 'mainstream' sci-fi writers would moonlight and right genre fiction under alternate names because they thought it was beneath them, and Watson was told by his peers that he was crazy for using his real name.

Watson was given a brief primer on what the W40K universe was at the time, and given free reign because of his fame/status and no one at GW ever seconded guessed him or said "You can't do that"

It's a really interesting trilogy I've been meaning to finish mostly because it portrays an somewhat different W40k universe then what the modern fluff has degenerated into and gets attention mostly for including squats, but it's also technically well written and a joy to read.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Azran posted:

In all seriousness, yes - you should skip the last two books of the original trilogy and read about the Dropsite Massacre and the Legion purges/Horus' fall in a wiki.

Alternately, you could just listen to the abridged audiobooks, which cut out all the chaff.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
I'm pretty sure False Gods has a scene where Horus literally says 'father, why have you forsaken me?' So yeah, skip that poo poo.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

pentyne posted:

It was also written at a time where tons of 'mainstream' sci-fi writers would moonlight and right genre fiction under alternate names because they thought it was beneath them, and Watson was told by his peers that he was crazy for using his real name.

Watson was given a brief primer on what the W40K universe was at the time, and given free reign because of his fame/status and no one at GW ever seconded guessed him or said "You can't do that"

It's a really interesting trilogy I've been meaning to finish mostly because it portrays an somewhat different W40k universe then what the modern fluff has degenerated into and gets attention mostly for including squats, but it's also technically well written and a joy to read.

It's a great depiction of obsession, as well as how Chaos can work its way into someone's mind and corrupt them.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

I'm pretty sure False Gods has a scene where Horus literally says 'father, why have you forsaken me?' So yeah, skip that poo poo.

I thought that was the coolest poo poo when I was like 16.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

That's in Horus Rising, unfortunately.

The only Graham McNeil book I've read so far is A Thousand Sons, and I really liked it. Considering this I'm surprised at the animosity towards McNeil in this thread, are the other books terrible or something?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
McNeil is the definition of hit and miss. He wrote Storm of Iron, which is the first book to have Chaos Marines as the main characters, and is really fun. Anytime he's writing Mechanicus/Mechanicum stuff, he's good too. He wrote some pretty bad Ultramarines books back in the day, including some really nasty imagery that makes me think he has some unresolved issues with his mother.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
*puffs pipe*

What does it mean to be 'corrupt'? whose to say god worship is corrupt and worshiping a man isn't?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Are there any funny 40k books outside of Cain?
I kinda like the Fantasy books because they always tend to remain somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

amuayse posted:

Are there any funny 40k books outside of Cain?
I kinda like the Fantasy books because they always tend to remain somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

40K is serious literature to be analyzed and pontificated, not chortled at!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Since when has this been a thing? :stare:

http://pixelherogames.com/xenos-announced/

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

lol

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

I think there was a post about it last winter? Abnett mentioned it on his blog way back, but there's been no real follow up, I don't think GW even lists it on their Licensed Games page.

Got my "BUY NOW" email from BL this morning for the Sabbat Crusades book, is it just me or is that cover really goofy looking?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Immanentized posted:

Got my "BUY NOW" email from BL this morning for the Sabbat Crusades book, is it just me or is that cover really goofy looking?

Eh a bit. Also the part about the lore segment reminded me that the previous book about that stopped right before His Last Command began and then they never really bothered making another one. :(
The Sabbat World Crusades book is probably the second book I would've loved to get signed by Abnett because it's frankly amazing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cooked Auto posted:

Eh a bit. Also the part about the lore segment reminded me that the previous book about that stopped right before His Last Command began and then they never really bothered making another one. :(
The Sabbat World Crusades book is probably the second book I would've loved to get signed by Abnett because it's frankly amazing.
Sorry, what? I was too busy reading.

The other thing I got signed was the death certificate in my Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer :black101:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdDY6MPCdpQ

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Best part: it is a phone game.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Arquinsiel posted:

Sorry, what? I was too busy reading.

The other thing I got signed was the death certificate in my Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer :black101:

I said second book because the first one is my first (US) edition of Necropolis from 2000. :colbert:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
In the book exile do we know what chapter that the three renegade space Marines belong to?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cooked Auto posted:

I said second book because the first one is my first (US) edition of Necropolis from 2000. :colbert:

I haven't bothered getting my copies of Inferno or the novella that came free with White Dwarf signed :colbert:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I want to get someone to sign that intentionally left blank page in the Uplifting Primer.

CaptainAttitude
May 31, 2003

This haircut was a good idea.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

In the book exile do we know what chapter that the three renegade space Marines belong to?

I would also like to know this.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Also someone explain why ahriman changed to his cool dude blue armour instead of staying red.he just sorta, just changed it from what I remember.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Big Willy Style posted:

Also someone explain why ahriman changed to his cool dude blue armour instead of staying red.he just sorta, just changed it from what I remember.

Probably because he was exiled and felt he wasn't allowed to wear the legion colors.

Reading Exile has made me wonder: are all space marines gigantic weepy emo babies? Amon especially, with his 'a bloo bloo bloo, let our legion finally die :qq: Help me finally let our legion die :qq: ' and Ahriman is all 'no I can save it I have ~*~*hope*~*~' I want to say hey, the legion isn't dead guys. Magnus exiled you two clown baloons and like 10 other guys. Everyone else is back on the planet of sorcerers doing their thing. Why are we being treated to what amounts to Ahrimans LiveJournal?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Probably because he was exiled and felt he wasn't allowed to wear the legion colors.

Reading Exile has made me wonder: are all space marines gigantic weepy emo babies? Amon especially, with his 'a bloo bloo bloo, let our legion finally die :qq: Help me finally let our legion die :qq: ' and Ahriman is all 'no I can save it I have ~*~*hope*~*~' I want to say hey, the legion isn't dead guys. Magnus exiled you two clown baloons and like 10 other guys. Everyone else is back on the planet of sorcerers doing their thing. Why are we being treated to what amounts to Ahrimans LiveJournal?

Space Marines are ultrabuffed children with poor emotional control and when they get depressed they get REALLY depressed.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
But why would they want their legion to die? Or, even when their legion isn't even dying, they actively try to kill it? At least the 1K Sons are still a legion and not a few smatterings of lovely warbands like the emperors children or the night lords.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
They feel really guilty about falling for a Tzeentch demon's trap and damning themselves.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

But why would they want their legion to die? Or, even when their legion isn't even dying, they actively try to kill it? At least the 1K Sons are still a legion and not a few smatterings of lovely warbands like the emperors children or the night lords.

Most of the Legion IS dead. Undead. Whatever. When most of your bros are just dust zombies in power armour, some angst is understandable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
And so Ahriman's old cabal of sorcerer nerds who assisted with the rubric are ALL MAD that they trused Ahriman, but Ahriman hosed up (and hey, he was trying to combat sorceries with the literal god of sorcery) and turned all non psykers into dust. So, everyone hates Ahriman now?