Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Afriscipio posted:

You know, it was probably some guy's job to increase the underwear coverage in post.

'bout to say, there's probably some high degree of subtle CGI work to pull that off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
A great article if you're interested in who makes trailers (and the work that goes into them):

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/11/05/mark_woollen_meet_the_trailer_editor_behind_the_iconic_previews_for_the.html

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008

Young Freud posted:

'bout to say, there's probably some high degree of subtle CGI work to pull that off.

Don't you mean, to put them on? :downsrim:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The teaser for HBO's Westworld series.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I made a modern trailer for The Last Starfighter beacuse why the gently caress not. Movie owns. Go see it if you haven't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l55LwfcPfWM&hd=1

teagone fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Nov 19, 2014

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Wow that CG has not aged well

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hat Thoughts posted:

Yeah, it's pretty bad. Movie is still good though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

to be fair though it was 1984, a good ten years or so before anyone even knew what "CG" meant

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

to be fair though it was 1984, a good ten years or so before anyone even knew what "CG" meant

Yeah that too. Also, at the time, The Last Starfighter was allegedly the first film to employ the use of computer generated effects for all its visual set pieces. They were venturing into new territory really. I still need to watch that making of documentary.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20DF6U1HcGQ

Ehhhh, seem like an explicit retread.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Robb Stark is dreamy as Prince Charming

he looks like a young hugh jackman. :allears:

Also lets appreciate Helena Bonham Carter playing a good guy in a fantasy movie

BlueBayou fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 19, 2014

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
it was just very jarring for me because in my head, The Last Starfighter's effects held up

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

BlueBayou posted:

Robb Stark is dreamy as Prince Charming

he looks like a young hugh jackman. :allears:

Also lets appreciate Helena Bonham Carter playing a good guy in a fantasy movie

Looks like he brought Xaro Zoan Daxos (I may be grossly misspelling that) with him.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Helenah Bonham Carter wearing a normal wig! What the hell kind of movie is this?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Helenah Bonham Carter wearing a normal wig! What the hell kind of movie is this?

A boring one?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

I know it's a Disney movie, but image the Grimm Fairy-tail ending out of nowhere.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

teagone posted:

I made a modern trailer for The Last Starfighter beacuse why the gently caress not. Movie owns. Go see it if you haven't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l55LwfcPfWM&hd=1

I absolutely loved this movie as a child but even on first viewing I was like uh yeah computer graphics (my term then) aren't ready for prime time.

I always wanted them to make a sequel to that movie. Also great trailer but it needs a button at the end! Like "this is my friend Grig, this is Otis." "...any friend of Alex...uh"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

kiimo posted:

I absolutely loved this movie as a child but even on first viewing I was like uh yeah computer graphics (my term then) aren't ready for prime time.

I always wanted them to make a sequel to that movie. Also great trailer but it needs a button at the end! Like "this is my friend Grig, this is Otis." "...any friend of Alex...uh"

I'm not really well versed in trailer/preview component lingo, haha. Is a button like another clip of footage that plays right after the title reveal? Before the credit block/release date/etc.? Curious now because I want to add a proper one to the trailer :D

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah exactly. Once you start looking for them you'll realize they're in a lot of trailers that aren't super artsy. Some need buttons, some don't. It's that last chance to rope the audience in with the promise of comedy or romance or just the story maybe going in a different direction. I suggested that scene because it leaves the audience thinking oh wait he's bringing aliens back to Earth. It's a twist that promises a story with greater depth than can be shown in one trailer. It builds anticipation basically.

edit: you could also make an entire trailer about the Beta unit taking over his place and make it seem like that's the basis of the story.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 19, 2014

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Those costume designs are loving bonkers, I love them.

Also yeah whoever decided to cast Richard Madden as Prince Charming deserves a massive raise.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

My Last Starfighter trailer got featured on Slashfilm :3:

http://www.slashfilm.com/modern-last-starfighter-trailer/

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

teagone posted:

My Last Starfighter trailer got featured on Slashfilm :3:

http://www.slashfilm.com/modern-last-starfighter-trailer/

Way to go, teagone, some random Hollywood exec is thinking that the time might be right to reboot The Last Starfighter as a gritty four-movie YA trilogy.

EDIT: Since you can't scrub that thought out of your heads without a little help, here's a trailer for Pitch Perfect 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBwOYQd21TY

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 20, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DivisionPost posted:

Way to go, teagone, some random Hollywood exec is thinking that the time might be right to reboot The Last Starfighter as a gritty four-movie YA trilogy.

It was inevitable. Haha.

Speed Crazy
Nov 7, 2011
It's nice to see them move away from the Tim Burton-y manic whimsy design for Cinderella (like Maleficent and Oz the Great and Powerful), and go for a more grounded approach. That said, the costume design is totally bonkers, and that's wonderful. And yeah, Richard Madden as Prince Charming is inspired. I'm cautiously optimistic about this one.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
As somebody who totally irrationally loves the first Pitch Perfect, I am very excited about the sequel.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is this a ultra-future version of Dune with Prince Charming being a fremen?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Is this a ultra-future version of Dune with Prince Charming being a fremen?

It's the reverse Cinderella, Cindirulan. She starts off as a princess and ends up a worthless, unsatisfied concubine.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

kiimo posted:

It's the reverse Cinderella, Cindirulan. She starts off as a princess and ends up a worthless, unsatisfied concubine.

'History will call us concubines.'

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

GonSmithe posted:

Also yeah whoever decided to cast Richard Madden as Prince Charming deserves a massive raise.

That is some casting to lose your head over, for sure.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Has this been posted?

http://www.nowhereelse.fr/jurassic-world-extrait-bande-annonce-jurassic-park-4-102676/

A teaser for Jurassic World, with the full trailer coming on Thursday.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

MeinPanzer posted:

Has this been posted?

http://www.nowhereelse.fr/jurassic-world-extrait-bande-annonce-jurassic-park-4-102676/

A teaser for Jurassic World, with the full trailer coming on Thursday.

Youtubified: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvu-zlR5A8Q

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Huh, that's a pretty decent cast. I'm slightly less worried.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Huh, that's a pretty decent cast. I'm slightly less worried.

Odds that it won't be Crystal Skull #2? 11%

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PaganGoatPants posted:

Odds that it won't be Crystal Skull #2? 11%

So it has an 89% chance of being awesome.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm still waiting for the indication that this isn't just an electrified re-telling of the first movie, and while nothing about this looks bad so far I'm still not excited in the least.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Yeah I love Jurassic Park but it's hard to get amped for a Jurassic Park sequel/reboot, just because I don't really know where else you take the premise. Still, Chris Pratt will probably kick rear end

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
It can't really get any worse than JP3, at worst it will be like The Lost World.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mandrel posted:

Yeah I love Jurassic Park but it's hard to get amped for a Jurassic Park sequel/reboot, just because I don't really know where else you take the premise. Still, Chris Pratt will probably kick rear end

I liked it in the days following JP3 where people were talking about Dinosaurs with guns and mech armor and poo poo fighting a city.

Personally I'd like to see a completely unapologetic "we're genociding these bitches" movie where we have bleeding hearts constantly try to spout nonsense about how these frog/dino chimeras have a right to life, only for the data to come out that these dinosaurs are loving the poo poo up out of the ecosystem somehow and the more humane longterm solution for everyone involved is to exterminate them, followed by a third act which is nothing but firebombing the islands the drat things live on. And I say this as a huge bleeding heart.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

mind the walrus posted:

Personally I'd like to see a completely unapologetic "we're genociding these bitches" movie where we have bleeding hearts constantly try to spout nonsense about how these frog/dino chimeras have a right to life, only for the data to come out that these dinosaurs are loving the poo poo up out of the ecosystem somehow and the more humane longterm solution for everyone involved is to exterminate them, followed by a third act which is nothing but firebombing the islands the drat things live on. And I say this as a huge bleeding heart.
gently caress the ecosystem of this island in the middle of bum gently caress nowhere, why do you want to deny children the ability to see dinosaurs in real life? :colbert:

I'm just sad that they couldn't get Goldblum or Neill to come in for this movie; would be pretty funny that the day they decide to give the park a shot it all goes to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the really good premise of jurassic world is that the park is now open and fully functional, with tons of tourists.

• Locked thread