Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011
Why won't the game let me gently caress Vivienne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

On Sera: she's alright. I don't have any problems with her. And her little side bit where you play pranks on other people is funny if you go along with it and don't act like a party pooper.

On Viv, she is such a bitch I love it, especially since she hates my character since I'm going pro mage. She rearranged furniture around the keep just to mess with me and then dismissed me. It was hilarious.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I accidentally moused over a (pretty big!) spoiler about Solas, and now I fully expect the next game to have God-babies fighting each other.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

Also why is BioWare encouraging me to NOT play the game for an hour so I can wait for my people to finish missions. Is it supposed to be like "Yo, why don't you play multiplayer for an hour while you wait? Oh and while you're there check out the ingame store..."

Go explore or do a side quest. jesus christ you timespergs are killing me.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Had to switch from hard to normal. The combat is way too chaotic and the controls are way too borked to play tactically. I don't even know what good Ice Wall is, enemies seem to bust right through it or Cassandra seems to Bull Charge through it 75% of the time.

Just switch to normal, pick a character and play through the next fight as a Mage/two handed fighter/sword and board fighter/dagger rogue/archer rogue and switch between fights so it doesn't get stale. I wandered into the wrong part of the Hinterlands and got killed handily by some demons double my level.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Kaizer88 posted:

When they made that announcement, my heart broke. :smithicide:

Drifter posted:

Yeah, I sent all my advisers on missions and they were literally all done before I'd even found the loving blacksmith. If you look around and talk to people or, well, play the game, that stuff gets done before you know.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I can't get the gender bug to save my life. Leliana always says "him" at the start. What the hell

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Vehementi posted:

The counter costs 10 stam to turn on and 5 stam per second... so the window is as long as you can afford it.

Huh, well, I've never had a problem with my stamina running out or anything..... to actually be honest I did not even know there was stamina...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

AngryBooch posted:

Had to switch from hard to normal. The combat is way too chaotic and the controls are way too borked to play tactically. I don't even know what good Ice Wall is, enemies seem to bust right through it or Cassandra seems to Bull Charge through it 75% of the time.

I'm having a great time on Hard and ice wall may not be useful on its own but there are other spells that utilize it very nicely.

Howdo I increase my mana capacity for my mage? I can pretty much only cast one spell at a time whereas Viv and SOlas can cast two-ish.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

VDay posted:

Yeah it's constantly reminding me of Witcher 2 as well. The fact that the inventory management/UI is almost exactly the same as in Witcher 2 certainly helps. There's even a shot in the cutscene at the beginning when Cassandra and Leliana walk in and there's some DoF blur in the doorway that immediately reminded me of the cutscene in the beginning of Witcher 2 when Roche first comes in to talk to you and it has the same blurry effect.
I would love if the controls allowed me to fondly remember Witcher 2 (I never had the input lag people complained about). Witcher 2 with a party and hosed up key binds and zero incentive to time basic attacks isn't a fun design.

I want a pure tactical mode and would pay real money for it.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 19, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Kaizer88 posted:

Clearly it's because she's black.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shumagorath posted:

I want a pure tactical mode and would pay real money for it.

How does $60 dollars sound? :pcgaming:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

quaunaut posted:

On the other hand, every drat time I get into even a small conversation with Scout Harding I swoon a bit. She's smart, capable, funny, cute, and the least pretentious character in the whole game. And the only one with fashion sense.

I had to meet her three separate times before I realized she was the same person. I guess my brain just assumed they were pulling some DA 2 style asset reuse.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Radio Talmudist posted:

How is the R9 290 faring with this game?
My 290X crushes it on Ultra with a 3GHz turbo 2600K and the latest drivers. My PC exhaust also heats the room.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
God drat, I still can't get over how loving huge each map is.

Also, I really like how the game looks, and although it's *slightly* annoying, it's still pretty drat cool how your character slows down and changes animation slightly when you're walking up a steep hill.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Man, melee in this game is a chore. I think mostly because it doesn't run you to a target if you are too far away or have you jump closer Batman-style, you just whiff your attack if the monster decides to even slowly back up while you are swinging. Kind of sucks because I usually like to play the big armored guy in this kind of game.

Rerolled as an archer and that's a lot more fun. I just sit back and plink away and disappear if anyone notices me.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Drifter posted:

God drat, I still can't get over how loving huge each map is.

Also, I really like how the game looks, and although it's *slightly* annoying, it's still pretty drat cool how your character slows down and changes animation slightly when you're walking up a steep hill.

I think I would be 100% okay with the huge maps if the horse they give you moved at something better than a modest plod.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Reading around more it sounds like that borderless windows option fixes a lot of directx issues so I'll try that tonight and hope for the best. As far as I can tell Bioware didn't respond to any of it so far. What a mess.

Drifter posted:

I assume it does but does the timer countdown while ingame only?

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Y'know, that was the first tumblr tag I ever subscribed to last night. I just feel bad now that I did it before you said anything.

I'm turning into one of those people.

Stupendous Man
Jan 10, 2008
Defender of Freedom! Advocate of Liberty!
This may have already been brought up, but does anyone else have a major lag problem (like a slideshow) whenever they enter a new area? The game runs smooth as silk on mostly high settings the rest of the time, but when I enter a new area, or return to a previous area, it practically turns into a slideshow for about a minute, and then it runs perfectly. I'm guessing it's because I don't have a SSD (I know...), but I didn't know if there might be something else causing it.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

StarkRavingMad posted:

Man, melee in this game is a chore. I think mostly because it doesn't run you to a target if you are too far away or have you jump closer Batman-style, you just whiff your attack if the monster decides to even slowly back up while you are swinging. Kind of sucks because I usually like to play the big armored guy in this kind of game.

Rerolled as an archer and that's a lot more fun. I just sit back and plink away and disappear if anyone notices me.

Yeah I rolled a 2 handed qunari and i'm not sure if i'm enjoying it. I mean...cool armour and everything, but it doesn't feel fun.

Going to try rolling archer or mage...

Strangely I think the game wants you to roll a range or mage character given the abundance of warrior companions in the game.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

RBA Starblade posted:

I assume it does but does the timer countdown while ingame only?

Nope, it counts down in real time. I started an 18 hour timer yesterday before bed. Bioware is probably expecting the people who play this to have things like lives and jobs.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

SirDrone posted:

I'm going to take a wild stab and guess Shapeshifting doesn't return and Morrigan has none of her gimmick abilities. drat I really did miss cutscenes triggering and showing a gigantic rear end spider trying to pull Dwarven politics.
I sorta wish I'd used her Shapeshifting stuff now. In my game she was basically a Cold / Arcane death cannon while my player character had all the essentials like Fireball, Mind Blast and Crushing Prison.

Even if the tactical view didn't suck, the reduced spell arsenal would make playing as a Mage pretty bad compared to DA:O.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 19, 2014

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I really like this game but the UI/controls loving suck and they made some really lazy design calls on a lot of it.

I'd like to see them patch in:

- auto attack toggle
- click to move towards object
- Somehow unfuck the tactical mode, I still have not found a satisfying bind setup for it
- Action queuing for tactical mode
- Move towards target to initiate action. It is beyond annoying standing nearby whiffing because the target moved a bit and you took your eyes away for a second

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

WMain00 posted:

Strangely I think the game wants you to roll a range or mage character given the abundance of warrior companions in the game.

But there are an equal amount of Mage, Warrior, and Rogue companions to choose from.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I think the worst part for me so far is when I pause and switch characters the game will auto unpause.

Why the gently caress would you do that.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

^^^ it doesn't do that for me?

The Gunslinger posted:

I really like this game but the UI/controls loving suck and they made some really lazy design calls on a lot of it.

I'd like to see them patch in:

- auto attack toggle
- click to move towards object
- Somehow unfuck the tactical mode, I still have not found a satisfying bind setup for it
- Action queuing for tactical mode
- Move towards target to initiate action. It is beyond annoying standing nearby whiffing because the target moved a bit and you took your eyes away for a second

For me tac cam would be best served by two changes--adding strafing so I can easily move the camera left and right without having to adjust the point of view, and putting zoom on the mouse wheel instead of how you move the mouse.

Queuing has never been DA games, so I don't miss it. No opinion on the others as of yet.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stupendous Man posted:

This may have already been brought up, but does anyone else have a major lag problem (like a slideshow) whenever they enter a new area? The game runs smooth as silk on mostly high settings the rest of the time, but when I enter a new area, or return to a previous area, it practically turns into a slideshow for about a minute, and then it runs perfectly. I'm guessing it's because I don't have a SSD (I know...), but I didn't know if there might be something else causing it.

When the load screen disappears and you're in the level it's loaded only the assets for that small part of the map. While you start playing its streaming in the rest of the map. This helps dramatically with load times and decreases load screens but if you have a hard drive it can slow down a bit as you see. (The consoles are easier to target for a seamless experience since their storage devices should have the same speed)

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

It's unfortunate Sera is so bad because her general opinions on the state of the world, your actions, etc. are all the most sensible

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
If anyone is having trouble buying this loving game like I am, it seems Origin isn't currently able to process purchases for many people. They currently recommend waiting 24-hours before trying again.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm playing as a warrior and really like it so far, I don't see what the problem is with them.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Stupendous Man posted:

Mine isnt on my SSD and I dont have that issue.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Only time I encounter hitching or graphic/sound errors is if I've been taking screenshots. Which is to say I get them all the time, but only when I hit the button.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lotish posted:

^^^ it doesn't do that for me?

For me tac cam would be best served by two changes--adding strafing so I can easily move the camera left and right without having to adjust the point of view, and putting zoom on the mouse wheel instead of how you move the mouse.

I can't speak to the zoom thing, becuase I actually love the mouselook zoom instead of the scroll whell zoom in tac mode, but just rebind the tactical view camera mode to be the same as the movement mode. You can double bind because those are two separate camera modes.

And the game does occasionally unpause when switching between characters when not in tactical mode. It's rather annoying. But I mostly fight in tac-cam so it's not that big a deal.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Drifter posted:

I can't speak to the zoom thing, becuase I actually love the mouselook zoom instead of the scroll whell zoom in tac mode, but just rebind the tactical view camera mode to be the same as the movement mode. You can double bind because those are two separate camera modes.

I will play with that later. I took your suggestion to swap pause and jump and it's just so much better.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^ - make them both wasd instead of the qwse or whatever that poo poo was.

Lotish posted:

I will play with that later. I took your suggestion to swap pause and jump and it's just so much better.

it's really amazing how a simple thing as a default key-bind setup can pretty much ruin a game. Who the gently caress are the people who play tested this game, and why did NO previewer or reviewer make mention of the lovely default binds? God drat.

Stupid loving bloggers.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
One thing I do appreciate about the game is that each character has their own separate save folder for savegames, which is amazing.

The controls are still totally hosed though.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Is the lots of RAM on the graphics card a hard requirement? Mine is only 1GB :ohdear:

Grimby
Sep 12, 2002

monster on a stick posted:

Is the lots of RAM on the graphics card a hard requirement? Mine is only 1GB :ohdear:

I'm running the game on Ultra with a 2GB 7870, 16 GB RAM and an AMD Phenom II 955 BE. It's smooth as butter except for a little stuttering when I zone. I'd think if you don't go nuts with the graphic settings the rest of your PC isn't an e-machine you'll be okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Until what level ware you expected to dick around in the first zone?

Also cant believe how great this game is at alt-tabbing, a model for all games to come

• Locked thread