Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Grognan posted:

Also finding http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentation_ethics explains a lot of Jrod's particular debate style. "Argumentation ethics asserts the non-aggression principle is a presupposition of every argument and so cannot be logically denied during an argument."

Ahahaha I just got around to reading this :wtc: is this like the Ontological Proof of Libertarianism?

Conceive of an argument so circular its truth cannot be denied, this argument we call Libertarianism. Now obviously this argument can't be false because false arguments can be logically denied. And just as obviously, it is harder to deny a real true argument than a true argument that exists only in my imagination, so the only way I could conceive of this argument is if I am thinking of the real argument.

Therefore, Libertarianism must be real and true. Eat poo poo, statists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
In the beginning there was a coin of gold.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

VitalSigns posted:

Ahahaha I just got around to reading this :wtc: is this like the Ontological Proof of Libertarianism?

Conceive of an argument so circular its truth cannot be denied, this argument we call Libertarianism. Now obviously this argument can't be false because false arguments can be logically denied. And just as obviously, it is harder to deny a real true argument than a true argument that exists only in my imagination, so the only way I could conceive of this argument is if I am thinking of the real argument.

Therefore, Libertarianism must be real and true. Eat poo poo, statists.

The part that always wows me about libertarians is how they reconcile this presupposition with literally all of human history.

Ron Paul Atreides fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 19, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Jrode please go back the minimum wage thing like you claimed to want to. Please. I need to see this.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

quote:

Hoppe first notes that when two parties are in conflict with one another, they can choose to resolve the conflict by engaging in violence, or engaging in argumentation. In the event that they choose to engage in argumentation, Hoppe asserts that the parties have implicitly rejected violence as a way to resolve their conflict. He therefore concludes that non-violence is an underlying norm (Grundnorm) of argumentation that is accepted by both parties.

"Give me all your money or I'll kill you!"

"By making a demand, you've already surrendered your right to kill me!"

"gently caress!"

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

Pope Guilty posted:

"gently caress!"

Loool holy poo poo.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
It's like libertarians live in some video game where you can turn your PvP flag off to prevent aggression.

What if there's an overwhelming force out there (everyone who isn't a dumbass AnCap) who thinks your society's treatment of the lower classes is an abomination and wants to use aggression to stop it?

You fuckers are going to start aggressing everyone to raise an army faster than I can say hypocrite.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

"gently caress!"

Nevermind, I thought about it and just changed my mind on argumentation ethics.

I now wholeheartedly support the idea of Libertarians telling the police and the courts that they cannot be reasoned with on whether laws are valid, and the state's only options to deal with Libertarians are complete surrender or killing them outright.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Pope Guilty posted:

"gently caress!"

Let's roll our contracts into pill form, dip them in lead and handload them into brass cartridges.

Have your people see my people *western music plays*

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Cemetary Gator I know this was a few pages back, but there's a third outcome to your famine/food merchant scenario you failed to list. I kill the food merchant and ration his food equally between myself and the local population!

This happened during the French Revolution all the time! (except the merchants often didn't have any food themselves because you can't hoarde food if there's no food to hoarde)

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

jrodefeld posted:

This is the most ridiculous example I've ever heard. The drug trade is so violent because no State monopolized police services will protect the property rights of those who are engaged in that market. In every example where drugs are legalized, you see this crime rate diminish rapidly as more legitimate businesses replace the black market.

In a free market, the law would exist to arbitrate disputes and protect private property rights. The security of both the dealer and the client will be protected and thus conflict free trade can occur.

This is true, actually. You don't see a lot of crime happening in countries where law enforcement has been fully replaced by drug dealers and their security personnel. This is why Ciudad Juarez is such a peaceful, burgeoning market of free thinkers and entrepreneurs, especially lately.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

This is true, actually. You don't see a lot of crime happening in countries where law enforcement has been fully replaced by drug dealers and their security personnel. This is why Ciudad Juarez is such a peaceful, burgeoning market of free thinkers and entrepreneurs, especially lately.

Well if we give up the state and businesses take a page from the mafia and the drug lords and start extorting us all into doing business with them their way, then that's no different from a state so all it proves is that states are bad, duh. :smugdog:

But now that our horrible democracy isn't keeping the mafia in check through the US government's illegitimate monopoly on force, we have the chance to nonviolently convince them to accept the Non-Aggression Principle and t-- *perishes in a hail of stray bullets from a botched drive-by assassination*

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Caros posted:

So how about you use those arguments instead of the weaksauce that you've thrown at us. Two people have given pretty substantial rundowns just liked you'd asked for, how about you address those?

Seriously dude, you've sparked the debate, we've given counter-arguments. Address those rather than complaining about tone. Hell, I'd rather you reply to Nolaner than to me in fact since he did a better job on many points this time than I did (though I did well too.)

Yay, recognition! :3:

Seriously though JRod, this "I have discovered a truly marvelous proof of this, which this thread is too narrow to contain" bullshit needs to stop. If you have a pile of great arguments, don't just allude to them and expect us to be intimidated into dropping the subject.

jrodefeld posted:

This is the most ridiculous example I've ever heard. The drug trade is so violent because no State monopolized police services will protect the property rights of those who are engaged in that market. In every example where drugs are legalized, you see this crime rate diminish rapidly as more legitimate businesses replace the black market.

In a free market, the law would exist to arbitrate disputes and protect private property rights. The security of both the dealer and the client will be protected and thus conflict free trade can occur.

Yes, I agree, bringing the drug trade into the realm of state oversight rather than a free (black) market absolutely does reduce the amount of violence associated with it. This is wonderful praise for the benefits of a well-run state!

Also, as we've pointed out before, how will the law still exist and be unbiased in the free market? What would stop the powerful from co-opting the private justice system, or from building their own parallel system and forcing it on others?

jrodefeld posted:

And why would they not be incentivized to treat their customers well, pay a reasonable wage and so forth if others can continually enter the market and undercut their market share? Yes, not everyone will have the resources necessary to compete in every sector of the economy, but enough will that it would be very harmful to the bottom line of a company to continually abuse their customers, to pollute and harm people. Maybe individual workers don't have the resources to compete on their own, but they could pool their resources together and create alternatives for people who don't want to deal with large businesses.

See this bad behavior on the part of the "rich" is really only sustainable through the threat of coercion and initiatory violence.

Because monopolies can exist without a state. Again, things like the East India Company prove this. And the whole idea of competitors popping up works fine for things without monumental start-up costs like being a carpenter or a hairdresser, but less for things that require a massive amount of infrastructure to get off the ground (like a railroad company or an ISP). It's not like my neighbors and I can pool our vacation money together into the couple billion dollars it would cost to build a new broadband network. In fact, those last two examples only came into existence through large scale state influence, and I contend that the next big infrastructure-heavy innovation will require the same. Do you have any counterexamples of something on those scales springing into existence without subsidy?

I will admit I completely agree with that last sentence. The bad behavior of the rich really does hinge on the threat of coercion and violence. In fact, I'd say that it's tautological, and that that coercion and violence simply is the bad behavior of the rich. The problem is that this behavior will not be impeded in any way by getting rid of the state.

jrodefeld posted:

Yes, I suppose being a condescending rear end while refusing to actually refute my arguments or share any of your infinite wisdom in the area of ethics is one way to respond to my post, but it is hardly the most productive.

Believe me, there are PLENTY of more critiques of consequentialism and utilitarianism that I could add but there is enough to spark some sort of a debate.

You might have far more expertise in this field than I do and if so, I would be overjoyed if you would share some of your knowledge and educate me on the subject.

If you want to engage with real arguments instead of people just being assholes, then maybe you should engage with Caros's arguments or my arguments or any number of other people's arguments instead! We put forth the effort to actually rebut your claims. If you really are interested in a meaningful debate, it's sitting right there waiting for you! If, instead, you decide to respond only to the troll posts and then retreat to a different topic entirely, please let us know! I have a number of points that I would love your opinion on, and none of them involve me dropping a dry thousand-word argument by someone else that assume their own conclusion.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

"gently caress!"

... gently caress it, I have some time to kill, so I'll engage.

Strangely, Hoppe isn't as out to lunch on his initial premise, at least, as it might appear ( though there is a glaring hole or two that I've spotted pretty much right off the bat, but I'll deal with that seperately ). Now, it has been a good, long while since I did introduction to philosophy, so I'm hoping more experienced and knowledgeable posters will correct me if or when I cock things up.

First, let's dissect the summation Pope Guilty gave us a bit:

quote:

Hoppe first notes that when two parties are in conflict with one another, they can choose to resolve the conflict by engaging in violence, or engaging in argumentation.

Now, this is eminently reasonable as a basic premise. It's straightforward, clear, concise... and wrong. Hoppe leaves out at least one more process of resolving the conflict, which is mutual withdrawal without engaging in either argument or violence, that is, detente. But, for the sake of argument, I'll let it stand.

quote:

In the event that they choose to engage in argumentation, Hoppe asserts that the parties have implicitly rejected violence as a way to resolve their conflict.

And this is where Hoppe gets himself into real trouble. Choosing one form of conflict-resolution initially does not implicitly reject the other in any way. Violence is always an option. It is simply that it is an option of last resort for most people. Yet, an option it is and an option it remains. By electing to engage in a verbal argument, there is always the possibility that the argument will degenerate into physical violence or that one party will abandon argument in favour of violence. As such I would actually argue that contrary to what Hoppe is saying here, the option or threat of the use of violence is always implicit in any conflict-resolution whether between individuals, communities or nation-states. Choosing argument as conflict-resolution is, then, an alternative to violence but not a rejection of it.

quote:

He therefore concludes that non-violence is an underlying norm (Grundnorm) of argumentation that is accepted by both parties.

And he concludes... erroneously.

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 19, 2014

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug
It also makes ethics weirdly contingent. The Kurgan from Highlander doesn't try to start debates with people, he just chops them up with his sword. Often without saying anything at all, but we still think he's a wrongdoer.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

There is such a thing as risk and opportunity cost. Arguments are less likely to leave you dead or to have significant costs associated with them if you've misjudged the situation. Purely from a practical standpoint it's easy to understand why people don't escalate to violence right away, even absent moral arguments.

It's also very hypocritical since Hoppe favors the use of force to exclude people from DROs. If you're trying to make the argument that people who favor talking things out implicitly reject violence, you probably shouldn't resort to it to protect your resist enclaves. This is what necessitates the whole idiotic concept of "initiatory violence" defined to include things like trespassing or taxes. Otherwise the argument reveals itself as "People shouldn't threaten me but I should be able to threaten social inferiors."

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Double post.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

The part he really doesn't seem to get is that established powers can use their resources to undermine any new competition trying to establish itself, thus preserving their monopoly. This happens right now without any involvement of the state.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Juffo-Wup posted:

It also makes ethics weirdly contingent. The Kurgan from Highlander doesn't try to start debates with people, he just chops them up with his sword. Often without saying anything at all, but we still think he's a wrongdoer.

Not to mention that it leads to frankly monstrous end results, thus violating Kant's third formulation, if I'm recalling it correctly. After all, this:

jrodefeld posted:

[...]
But I want to take a step back and inquire about your world view from a broader perspective. As I understand it, your view is that the State must coercively tax the citizenry to fund social welfare programs for those that need it, to regulate and police business actions and pollution and manage the economy to control the business cycle.

I have heard endless attempts by different members of this forum to discredit the libertarian ethic by trotting out hypothetical after hypothetical. The goal is to discredit the validity of the non-aggression principle by illustrating some scenario whereby the initiation of force against another's property is justified for the far greater good. Examples that have been offered include that oft cited "lifeboat" scenarios. If I am starving and I could steal a loaf of bread from a wealthy store owner, would it be morally justified to do so?

[...]

Now when you cite examples such as these, I'll admit you make an emotionally compelling case. A very reasonable person could easily conclude that, in some cases, respecting the non-aggression principle and a persons private property rights is NOT morally justified. What this means is we have drifted into moral relativism and this concession can be the beginning of a moral defense of the entire Statist system.

I would argue that most people probably would compromise any notion of private property rights or non-aggression when confronted with such hypotheticals. A libertarian would not, and I'll explain why. A philosopher must be concerned with the macro and not just the hypothetical micro. We have to also begin to address the world as it actually is, not as reflecting some abstract theory. And, sure enough, the State does not behave anywhere close to the theories offered by any non-Anarchist left liberal.

If a person were to concede the validity of using aggression in a particular instance, we must examine the ramifications for human society of accepting the authority of the State and aggression as codified policy over time. And, specifically to Caros, if the State had used violence against a rich person to provide your friend with healthcare and saved her life, that would have been a joyous outcome for her and for you. For a utilitarian perspective, such a system would have worked out for her in that moment. But we must look at the far reaching consequences for society in the long run.

is clearly not treating sentient beings as an end unto themselves, or universally applicable as a moral law. In a bid to remain 'logically and ethically pure', JRodefeld is explicitly saying that the cost is to let people die. No more, no less. He values his own ideological purity over the lives of innocents who, through no fault of their own, are dying.

( Incidentally, I'm sorry for quoting that wall of text, but I felt that this was obscene enough, and makes the point clearly enough, to warrant repeating in as close to full context as JRods posting will let me. )

Political Whores posted:

There is such a thing as risk and opportunity cost. Arguments are less likely to leave you dead or to have significant costs associated with them if you've misjudged the situation. Purely from a practical standpoint it's easy to understand why people don't escalate to violence right away, even absent moral arguments.

Also, this. But, in the spirit of willing, I figured I'd engage with the argument as already stated. The fact that I could pick that big holes in it, despite having had my last history of philosophy class some 12 years ago really doesn't speak well for Hoppe's conclusions, or the methods he used to arrive at them.

e: Added bolding to the most relevant part of JRod's post.

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 19, 2014

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007
Jrod, is the state a social and historical mistake or aberration, or is it the case that we needed to develop the state to attain certain things which would be highly difficult or impossible to create without the state (the internet, etc) but now that we have, we can do away with it?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TLM3101 posted:

And this is where Hoppe gets himself into real trouble. Choosing one form of conflict-resolution initially does not implicitly reject the other in any way. Violence is always an option. It is simply that it is an option of last resort for most people. Yet, an option it is and an option it remains. By electing to engage in a verbal argument, there is always the possibility that the argument will degenerate into physical violence or that one party will abandon argument in favour of violence. As such I would actually argue that contrary to what Hoppe is saying here, the option or threat of the use of violence is always implicit in any conflict-resolution whether between individuals, communities or nation-states. Choosing argument as conflict-resolution is, then, an alternative to violence but not a rejection of it.

If I offer you chocolate or vanilla ice cream, and you pick chocolate, you have forever rejected the eating of vanilla as immoral. I don't want to hear your poo poo about how there's nothing wrong with eating vanilla sometimes too, liking vanilla while eating chocolate is a performative contradiction.

You are now logically compelled to join my cause to rid the world of vanilla.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

TLM3101 posted:

e: Added bolding to the most relevant part of JRod's post.

This is why libertarian society can never work the way they claim it will. No matter how much they think the desperate poor should do their duty to non-agression and just lay down and die, that ain't gonna happen. People are not wired to do that, fundamentally.

And I would wager even money that most people who claim they would be okay with that if they were put in that situation only say so because they really have no concept of what it is like, and would do what almost every living organism does; whatever it takes to survive.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Let's say that I am a business owner that owns a number of grocery stores in a wide area, and they are the only places that sell food of any kind in the area, the closest store that isn't owned by me is 1000 miles away because of reasons. Now my prices are rather high because I enjoy making tons and tons of money but my customers don't always like paying my prices.

So one person gets some produce from a local small farm and starts selling out of his home. I then send someone to buy both that persons home and the farm he got his produce from and turn them into another one of my stores. My monopoly remains intact and unchallenged. Then another person, a farmer himself, starts selling his produce directly. When I try to purchase his farm from him he refuses. I then hire six thugs to beat the poo poo out of him and then I buy his farm for 1/3rd of my original offer which he readily accepts for fear of what will happen if he doesn't. My monopoly remains intact and unchallenged.

With enough money I can buyout or intimidate any potential competition and immediately put a stop to it before it can challenge me. What options are there in libertopia? People have to eat or they'll die, so they can't boycott me. They can't challenge me through law because I both own the courts and they can't use violence because I own a private militia that will shoot them in the face. And they can't leave because of the aforementioned army of face-shooters.

And don't say that this is an impossible situation because Company Towns actually existed and operated almost exactly as I described.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

This is why libertarian society can never work the way they claim it will. No matter how much they think the desperate poor should do their duty to non-agression and just lay down and die, that ain't gonna happen. People are not wired to do that, fundamentally.

And I would wager even money that most people who claim they would be okay with that if they were put in that situation only say so because they really have no concept of what it is like, and would do what almost every living organism does; whatever it takes to survive.

Just wait until a piece of land they're using lies fallow for an arbitrary length of time (let's say a day or so), scuff the dirt with your foot and then shoot them in the head when they come around again for initiating violence against your property.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

If I offer you chocolate or vanilla ice cream, and you pick chocolate, you have forever rejected the eating of vanilla as immoral. I don't want to hear your poo poo about how there's nothing wrong with eating vanilla sometimes too, liking vanilla while eating chocolate is a performative contradiction.

You are now logically compelled to join my cause to rid the world of vanilla.

Ah, but what about chocolate-vanilla swirl? Here, let me post a word-salad from a webpage full of cranks to bolster my point, to wit:

[insert rambling mess here]

edit:

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

On the other hand, you'd eventually end up with revolutions that would make the French one look like a walk in the loving park on a midsummer's day. But, yes. Libertarians have fallen too much in love with their own logical constructs to either a) see the human suffering and consequences that would result of actually attempting implementation of their ideas in the real world and b) being built on an outright rejection of empiricism, they can't see what the inevitable endpoint of their society would be.

It would be tragic if it wasn't such a horrifying vision of existence, and they weren't actually trying to convince People to implement it.

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 19, 2014

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Who What Now posted:

Then another person, a farmer himself, starts selling his produce directly. When I try to purchase his farm from him he refuses.

In another universe, you lower your prices enough that all neutral parties buy from you instead. You can afford these lower prices, because you're subsidizing them with the very high prices in your other markets, while this is the only place the farmer operates. He goes out of business because he can't make any overhead, and then you make him your 1/3 offer and raise your prices back to their previous levels.

Plenty of national corporations use this tactic in local markets, Wal-Mart being the most famous example, and it in no way breaks the NAP, while also playing on people's short-term Rational Self Interest.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

Let's say that I am a business owner that owns a number of grocery stores in a wide area, and they are the only places that sell food of any kind in the area, the closest store that isn't owned by me is 1000 miles away because of reasons. Now my prices are rather high because I enjoy making tons and tons of money but my customers don't always like paying my prices.

So one person gets some produce from a local small farm and starts selling out of his home. I then send someone to buy both that persons home and the farm he got his produce from and turn them into another one of my stores. My monopoly remains intact and unchallenged. Then another person, a farmer himself, starts selling his produce directly. When I try to purchase his farm from him he refuses. I then hire six thugs to beat the poo poo out of him and then I buy his farm for 1/3rd of my original offer which he readily accepts for fear of what will happen if he doesn't. My monopoly remains intact and unchallenged.

With enough money I can buyout or intimidate any potential competition and immediately put a stop to it before it can challenge me. What options are there in libertopia? People have to eat or they'll die, so they can't boycott me. They can't challenge me through law because I both own the courts and they can't use violence because I own a private militia that will shoot them in the face. And they can't leave because of the aforementioned army of face-shooters.

And don't say that this is an impossible situation because Company Towns actually existed and operated almost exactly as I described.

But Who What Now, the society would be libertarian. It would be libertarian. What we're talking about is a libertarian society. So how can you say there would be coercion? Surely you agree that a society in which there was coercion would, by definition, excuse me my clockwork seems to have run down can you turn the giant key sticking out of my back?

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

jrodefeld posted:

Caros said he is a utilitarian. All your arguments, whether you know it or not, are utilitarian. I have met resistance even talking about ethics and principles because you handwave them away simply saying "that society is impossible" or "look at these statistics about nationalized healthcare". Those arguments are utilitarian. Therefore you should have to defend that position.

Did anyone else catch the bullshit in this post? This is jrodefeld's way of avoiding having to respond the data that shits all over his assertions about health care.

Here was the original health care post, well over a week ago.

jrodefeld posted:

A few more points I want to raise about healthcare.

Caros has repeatedly insinuated that the United States healthcare system is an approximation of a free market in medical care delivery, but I think that is an overstatement. Yes, elements of the free market come into play in medicine, but more than anything we live under a half fascist, half socialist healthcare system with elements of the free market existing on the periphery.

I want you to look at this chart from the WHO:

http://images.mises.org/3233/Figure1.png

The US government accounted for over 45% of all US healthcare expenditures in 2006. It spent almost 20% of GDP on healthcare. In fact it spends more per capita than any other OECD country, including those with socialist, government funded healthcare. It should go without saying that this is not a free market.

Here is a list of a few of the State regulatory programs that keep prices high and stifle innovation:

1. The FDA
2. Center for Disease Control and Prevention
3. The American Medical Association
4. The United States Department of Health and Human Services

Healthcare costs have risen because the industry is subsidized. Government intervention grows because you can expect more of anything that is subsidized. Doctors raise their prices on those paying privately to cover those who do not pay (those that the government pays for).

But repeatedly Caros scoffs at the very idea that State involvement in medical care has caused rising prices over what they would be in the free market, continually citing advances in technology and newer medical innovations as accounting for the sky high cost of medicine.

But look at this chart, which compares Health Care inflation with the Consumer Price Index from 1935 to 2009:

http://bastiat.mises.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/holly1.jpg

Notice any trend that emerged after the mid 1960s after the State got heavily involved in medical care? Well clearly price inflation in medical care started to quickly rise much faster than the consumer price index whereas before the price of medical care rose at the general same rate of inflation as the rest of the economy.

You cannot possibly explain such a striking trend simply because of better technology. Doctors still performed surgeries before the 1970s, they still spent a lot of time with patients. There are other sectors of the economy that have been transformed due to innovations and technological improvements yet they have not had a corresponding increase in prices anywhere comparable to healthcare.

The State has been interfering and distorting the healthcare marketplace for a very long time. The following are past major laws and other policies implemented by the Federal and state governments that have interfered with the health care marketplace:

In 1910, the physician oligopoly was started during the Republican administration of William Taft after the American Medical Association lobbied the states to strengthen the regulation of medical licensure and allow their state AMA offices to oversee the closure or merger of nearly half of medical schools and also the reduction of class sizes. The states have been subsidizing the education of the number of doctors recommended by the AMA.

In 1925, prescription drug monopolies begun after the federal government led by Republican President Calvin Coolidge started allowing the patenting of drugs. (Drug monopolies have also been promoted by government research and development subsidies targeted to favored pharmaceutical companies.)

In 1945, buyer monopolization begun after the McCarran-Ferguson Act led by the Roosevelt Administration exempted the business of medical insurance from most federal regulation, including antitrust laws. (States have also more recently contributed to the monopolization by requiring health care plans to meet standards for coverage.)

In 1946, institutional provider monopolization begun after favored hospitals received federal subsidies (matching grants and loans) provided under the Hospital Survey and Construction Act passed during the Truman Administration. (States have also been exempting non-profit hospitals from antitrust laws.)

In 1951, employers started to become the dominant third-party insurance buyer during the Truman Administration after the Internal Revenue Service declared group premiums tax-deductible.

In 1965, nationalization was started with a government buyer monopoly after the Johnson Administration led passage of Medicare and Medicaid which provided health insurance for the elderly and poor, respectively.

In 1972, institutional provider monopolization was strengthened after the Nixon Administration started restricting the supply of hospitals by requiring federal certificate-of-need for the construction of medical facilities.

In 1974, buyer monopolization was strengthened during the Nixon Administration after the Employee Retirement Income Security Act exempted employee health benefit plans offered by large employers (e.g., HMOs) from state regulations and lawsuits (e.g., brought by people denied coverage).

In 1984, prescription drug monopolies were strengthened during the Reagan Administration after the Drug Price Competition and Patent Term Restoration Act permitted the extension of patents beyond 20 years. (The government has also allowed pharmaceuticals companies to bribe physicians to prescribe more expensive drugs.)

In 2003, prescription drug monopolies were strengthened during the Bush Administration after the Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act provided subsidies to the elderly for drugs.

In 2014, nationalization will be strengthened after the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010 (“Obamacare”) provided mandates, subsidies and insurance exchanges, and the expansion of Medicaid.

This stuff has been going on for a VERY long time. When you examine the data and see that in the United States, the government spends MORE money per capita on healthcare than in nations with nationalized healthcare. Yet we are supposed to think of them as all socialist and us as purely (or a close approximation of) free market. Furthermore when you examine how healthcare inflation started to quickly outpace the Consumer Price Index after the State started getting heavily involved in the 1960s, it becomes quite clear that absent that intervention, healthcare costs would be far lower.

Caros has basically had to concede that for those with means, you can purchase great healthcare in the private market. The main problem is the unavailability of any significant healthcare services to the poorest. Why is that? Artificially inflated healthcare costs. Restrictions and regulations that prevent entrepreneurs from providing low costs clinics to low income Americans.

Profit seeking entrepreneurs are not going to forgo such a massive market of people who desperately need healthcare but are priced out of the market unless there were some barrier to entry created by State monopoly privilege, licenture laws, and restrictions placed by monopolists.

I just wanted to put this issue to rest. State intervention clearly and unequivocally caused excessive price inflation in the healthcare market that dramatically outpaced the consumer price index.

Look at all of the immediate responses, pointing out everything that was hilariously wrong.

bokkibear posted:

Yes, because socialist, government-funded care is extremely efficient (for monopsony reasons mentioned earlier).

Caros' explanation is perfectly reasonable. The only reason you don't accept it is because it doesn't fit your pre-existing beliefs (that state involvement always raises prices), but it does fit the actual real-world data, especially when you look at the cost of providing healthcare in non-US countries. The price of providing healthcare in the UK is cheaper than in the US, despite the fact that there is next to no market operating. You have not explained this. You need to.

You're making the wrong comparison and missing the point. People now spend $500 on a new cellphone whereas before they just would have gone without, because cellphones were a bit rubbish and not worth the money they cost to build. The market existed, but was waiting for the technology to catch up. Healthcare is the same - there's a massive untapped market for expensive live-saving technologies which can't be monetised until those technologies actually exist. It's not that technological advances make healthcare more expensive, it's that people can now buy something they couldn't get before, and they'll pay pretty much anything.

You could look the iPhone and say "technological advances made cellphones more expensive!", but that's not really a good description of what happened.

You continue to assert this in different forms, but you haven't demonstrated it. Also, you're assuming that restrictions and regulations only ever weaken competition, when in some cases they strengthen it. For example, a regulation forcing companies to provide transparent pricing information for their insurance policies allows consumers to make better choices and therefore makes companies compete on products rather than just trying to be the best at misleading people. Would this regulation count as market distortion to you?

Right, but it doesn't matter, because it turns out states do a better job of providing good quality care efficiently. In the UK (again), no private company provides emergency services. If you go into cardiac arrest during an elective, they phone an ambulance and ship you to a state hospital. They do the "easy" stuff because they can't compete with the state, and that's fine, because the state does a great job.

What you've posted in no way puts the issue to any sort of rest. The conventional reading of your observations is that state intervention was a response to an inflation in healthcare costs that outpaced the CPI because of the changing nature of healthcare. The most telling comparison is not the US now vs. the US then, it's the US now vs. other countries now. To "put this issue to rest" you need to address the apparent fact that the US has less state intervention in healthcare than any other developed nation and is also the most inefficient.

If state intervention causes problems, why are nations with nationalised healthcare providing better healthcare for less money?

Cemetry Gator posted:

I've said this many times, but I'll say this again:

Stop talking about things that you clearly have no clue about.

What do you mean by fascist? What the gently caress is fascist about our health care system?

Also, congratulations. You couldn't even get a chart from a source that wasn't Mises.org. I mean, seriously.

Why does it go without saying? You can't just make an argument from an assertion and then expect me to prove you wrong. It only goes without saying if you believe that the free market will always be the most efficient system around. Which you haven't proven.

First off, the AMA is not a State regulatory program.

Secondly, you failed to say anything substantial here beyond making an assertion. How do they keep prices high and stifle innovation?

Thirdly, do you even know why the FDA came into existence? Or any of these things (aside from the AMA). Do you know why these regulations exist? I'll give you one example of why the FDA does what it does. Perhaps you are aware of the Elixir sulfanilamide scandal, that killed more than 100 people. By the way, that's one more example than you've given us. Sure, they keep drugs from getting to the market faster, but that's because they want to ensure that those drugs will be safe. They're just making sure people are selling effective medication that won't kill you.

I fail to see how the CDC can possibly make it onto the list. Once again, though, stopping the spread of deadly diseases is something even my most hardcore right-wing friends will say is something the government should be involved with, since it impacts the safety and security of the country.

Once again, how does the US Department of Health and Human Services keep prices high and stifle innovation?

Wha...?

Look, I work in Healthcare. My entire professional career has been in healthcare.

Kindly shut the gently caress up Jrodefeld. Please. Just shut the gently caress up. You know as little as you do on healthcare as I know about the reproductive habits of humingbirds. Which is to say, I know it exists.

See, one reason why healthcare costs are high are the uninsured people who can't pay for services who come into the emergency room. Since hospitals can't refuse to give them necessary treatments, costs go up because hospitals have to deal with emergencies since many of these people can't afford primary care, which is cheaper. It also means that when they get into the ER, it's already an emergency.

You haven't shown your argument. All you've done is dismissed the opposing argument.

There are many possible reasons. First off, people are living longer these days, and in general, end-of-life healthcare is more expensive than normal healthcare. In fact, we spend most of our health-care dollars on the last six months of your life. Also, there are more procedures that are available using new and expensive technology. So once again, we have more treatment options and can do more to treat. Couple that with a pay-per-service payment model that we have in most of our healthcare today, you can see how prices go up.

Of course, I can't possibly have come up with that explanation. You, who have consistently shown yourself to be knowledgeable in healthcare just said so!

I'm gonna have fun here.

First off, today, the AMA is seeking more medical schools. Secondly, licensing is what helps keep incompetent doctors from practicing, since it requires you demonstrate a basic set of knowledge.

Dude, you don't loving pay attention to anyone, do you. We've already went over why patents aren't a monopoly, but you're too loving stupid and stubborn to admit you're wrong and that you didn't know what you were talking about. Also, if there are monopolies, why are there so many drug companies, and why do generics exist?

Yup. Helping to end poverty in the elderly populations is a terrible thing!

This is because if the patents expired after 20 years, after all the testing that a drug has to go through, drug companies might not get a chance to recoup their costs before a generic hit the market.

So why doesn't this happen in England or Canada where they have Universal Health Care? I mean, if the private system is supposed to be better, why doesn't it happen everywhere with a socialist system.

As I'm sure, it has not clearly and unequivocally caused excessive price inflation.

I mean it. Stop talking about stuff that you have no knowledge in.

QuarkJets posted:

Here's a video from PBS where they discuss some of the findings:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/business-jan-june13-makingsense_06-21/

The AMA is not a state program. It's a privately-run professional association

That chart doesn't discredit his point. Advances in medical care have led to the development of new diagnostic tools and new treatments, but these are all orders of magnitudes more expensive than the tools and treatments that we had in the 50s. This means that our medical care has increased in cost significantly overall, but our outcomes have also improved significantly overall. This is true in every modern western nation; we have amazing new advances in medical technology, but those advances are expensive as gently caress. Do you believe that Medicare and Medicaid in the US led to exponentially increasing healthcare costs in the UK and China?

Do you know what it costs to construct, maintain, and operate an MRI machine? Hospitals in the 50s didn't need to have machines that run on superconducting magnets, but now you're considered backwards if you don't have access to such a device. Coincidentally, the 1960s is right around the time when we started building and using such devices. This applies to countless other amazing (and expensive) medical technology advances that only started really appearing after the 1960s.

All that your chart does is show that the increase in medical cost doesn't follow the CPI, which is completely true and easily explained.

Yes, you can. Doctors performed surgeries before the 70s, but not nearly as many, and not nearly as complex. This is well-documented. And they also sure as gently caress didn't perform many MRIs or CAT scans before the 1970s. There are countless other examples that prove you wrong

Nope; correlation does not lead to causation. While you're focusing on the United States, there are examples abroad where decreasing levels of state involvement have still resulted in higher medical expenditures, or where extremely high levels of state involvement have resulted in lower medical costs. You're completely wrong. You're arguing from a position of rationality, but your assumptions are flawed and your conclusions are disproven by empirical evidence.

Caros posted:

Just got done with a four hour drive... but this is pretty bite sized and I've got nothing else to do tonight so, eh, why not.

I already made fun of someone last night for using fascist wrong, but I want to make it clear that fascist has a very real definition. I know you enjoy using JRodefeld specials where words mean what you want them to mean, but if you are discussing in good faith on these forums please stop making up definitions for words that have nothing to do with what you're talking about. Honestly, you're just using fascist as a synonym for bad.

Wow. That sure is.. uh... A chart. I guess? I'm guessing its hundreds of billions spent on healthcare by the government? I have to guess because the chart doesn't tell me, and neither do you. The only reason I'm sure is that 3.8 trillion is roughly the number that they currently spend.

This is factually untrue. Specifically, the US government does not spend almost 20% of GDP on healthcare, they spend about 7.96%, with the remaining 9% coming from private expenditures. I suspect that this was simply poor wording on your choice, but I'm honestly not sure. In addition it is worth remembering that even with the US government accounting for 45% of all healthcare expenditures, that means 55% is covered by the private sector.

A majority of US healthcare spending is market based, which is why we argue that the US is an example of a market based healthcare system. If you are arguing that it is not a totally, perfectly free market, I'll agree with the caveat that such a market does not, has not and will not exist anywhere in the world, at least in my opinion.

Okay, while all of these are pretty stupid examples of things that you'd want to cut, I'm going to pay special attention to the CDC and HHS. I mean, cutting the FDA is stupid for the whole 'opium baby cough syrup' thing people have already mentioned, eliminating the AMA is dumb because of the whole 'Unlicenced doctors' thing I pointed out last night but the CDC and HHS cuts are simply ridiculous on their face. Also the AMA is a private group, but we'll get to why you don't know that right away.

So lets talk HHS and CDC Jrodefeld. What is it that you think they do that stifles innovation and keeps prices high? Do you have any specific grudge against the CDC, or any specific reasoning as to why cutting the department would be a good idea? How does the CDC's 15,000 employee staff dedicated to disease control and prevention somehow increase prices and reduce innovation. For that matter, why would you need to include the CDC at all since the CDC is part of HHS, are you even aware of that fact?

Personally I would argue that you are not aware of it. In fact, I would go so far as to say that you probably don't know much of anything about those four organizations, and in fact lifted much of this post wholesale from mises.org and partially rephased it to fit with the rest of what you were saying. Cards on the table here, you really don't have any reason for saying the CDC is bad do you? You just read it on a link from Mises.org and considered it gospel. This is why I have a hard time believing what you say, because I honestly don't believe you even understand much of what you so much as you regurgitate it.

For the record, HHS includes the NIH, the National Institutes of Health. The NIH by itself accounts for more than 50% of all funding for health research in the USA, and 85% of all funding for health studies in universities. The fact that the NIH was in the middle of a political scuffle over funding in the 80's is considered to be one of the contributing factor into why AIDS exploded like it did. To say that HHS "Stiffles innovation" is so diviorced from reality that I actually when and googled your quotes, because I couldn't believe you were actually stupid enough to believe what you were saying.

I don't even know why I'm replying as this is a nearly verbatim lift from the above article, but I covered this yesterday so I'll do it one more time. The idea that you get more of what is subsidized is easily disproven. I have hemochromatosis, it is a hereditary condition that means I retain too much iron in my blood and need to have it filtered or I will eventually have health problems, including blindness. If you subsidize people who have this disease, you don't get more people suddenly popping up with the same hereditary disease. If you subsudize healthcare for say.. the elderly, you don't suddenly get more elderly.

I do scoff at it! You acknowledging that I scoff at your arguments does not disprove mine. If you think I'm wrong, then by all means try and disprove my argument, don't just repeat it and move on.

Yeah, healthcare spending went up, and for a variety of reasons. For one thing people could receive treatments that didn't previously exist, but which were more effective. Open heart surgery simply wasn't a thing in the early 60's, and once it became a thing people would pay to receive the treatment. Moreover, as I clarified several posts back, one of the biggest increases in spending in the 60's has to do with the fact that the elderly could actually receive treatment. Considering that the elderly were essentially poo poo out of luck prior to Medicare, and that they are typically the sector with the most health problems it is no wonder that health costs increased as a whole segment of the population gained access to affordable healthcare.

But no, I'm sure your solution is much better. The funny thing is that I don't argue that the government didn't end up increasing prices to some extent in some sectors, I just don't think it was among the primary factors, while you seem content to deny all my arguments out of hand and insist that the government is solely responsible for increasing prices.

The above is an entirely unsourced quote from this Mises.org link. As I have precisely zero desire to argue with a an article from Mises.Org I'm going to refrain from any comment other than to say this list is a very simplistic view of healthcare reform over the decades.

The US government spends more money per capita on healthcare than in nations with nationalized healthcare. What you are leaving out is that they also spend more money per capita on healthcare in the private sector than the total healthcare budget of nations with nationalized healthcare, and the second number is higher than the first. We think you you as a market because you spend more money on market based healthcare than you do in government provided healthcare.

In addition nearly 2/3 of your population is covered by private insurance, while only 1/3 receives care through government assistance. This isn't because government assistance is bad by the way, but because the government 'pool' consists of the poor and the elderly, which are two of the most at risk groups, meaning they have to spend far more.

This is incredibly loving disingenuous, and I have no idea why you think this would fly here. I 'conceded' that a rich person would be able to purchase great healthcare in the private market, while at the same time pointing out that rich person would actually be able to get equal or better care in the UK. If you have enough money you can get 'great' anything anywhere. A rich person could get great medical care in Somalia, that does not mean I have conceded that the US Healthcare system is in any way 'good'.

Those same profit seeking entrepreneurs are not going to forgo the massive market of selling radium based eye shadow, or opium cough syrup. Anyone who can't meet basic requirements like 'going to medical school' to become a doctor or 'proving your product won't give me cancer' shouldn't be in business as far as I, and the vast majority of people are concerned.

Do you think you can just declare victory? HAHA! I have posted the same thing that just got argued against last night, but because this time I plagurized Mises.Org I have proven clearly and unequivocally that the government is the only thing that caused price inflation in the healthcare market. No, do not look behind the curtain! Ignore the man behind the curtain!

Seriously Jrod, don't loving do this. You've actually managed a win or two in your time on the forums, but we both know that that there is plenty of doubt in your position. Simply declaring your victory by repeating the same thing does not make you correct.

By the way, unequivocally means "leaving no doubt". You know that isn't true by the sheer fact that we clearly doubt you.

jrodefeld didn't respond to a single one of these posts. He changed the topic to racism and ignored the plagiarism accusations for four days. I have repeatedly asked jrod to return to health care and defend his factually unsupported assertions against the data that would seem to show other wise. Instead of doing this, he changes the topic again - to a debate between deontology and utilitarianism. Except that he believes this is his answer to the debate about universal health care. Look at the first quoted post again. He thinks he's free to make up a bunch of bullshit about UHC and completely ignore any data to the contrary because that's just immoral utilitarian poo poo anyways.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 227 days!
Out of curiosity, JRod, have you considered that posting on hostile forums could be a crutch to your thinking, rather than an aid?

As long as you've outnumbered, you can tell yourself "if I weren't so outnumbered, I'm sure other smart libertarians would have answers to these questions I can't deal with." It is an unlimited license to never change your mind, because you can always write off the argument as unfair.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
What would HHH think of Cecil Rhodes? On one hand, natural elite. On the other hand, :gay:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

sudo rm -rf posted:

jrodefeld didn't respond to a single one of these posts. He changed the topic to racism and ignored the plagiarism accusations for four days. I have repeatedly asked jrod to return to health care and defend his factually unsupported assertions against the data that would seem to show other wise. Instead of doing this, he changes the topic again - to a debate between deontology and utilitarianism. Except that he believes this is his answer to the debate about universal health care. Look at the first quoted post again. He thinks he's free to make up a bunch of bullshit about UHC and completely ignore any data to the contrary because that's just immoral utilitarian poo poo anyways.

Well you can't expect to just handwave away the logically deduced effects of state-run health care using ironclad evidence showing the exact opposite.

Relying on evidence is consequentialism, the ridiculous assertion that we should examine the actual effects of our theories to determine their truth. This is a logically untenable position: in effect you're saying we should reject theories we know to be true just because the world actually works the opposite way. If you're going to follow the Chesire Cat down that path to crazytown, you may as well just reject the logically unassailable Static Universe Model just because all the evidence shows there was a Big Bang :rolleyes:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

But Who What Now, the society would be libertarian. It would be libertarian. What we're talking about is a libertarian society. So how can you say there would be coercion? Surely you agree that a society in which there was coercion would, by definition, excuse me my clockwork seems to have run down can you turn the giant key sticking out of my back?

Aha! You show your weakness, SedanChair, in that you think businesses act according to a causal chain! But, in fact, through my theoretical research we can conclude that deontilogical ethics transcend both space and time which proves that-

*shits pants*

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Who What Now posted:

Aha! You show your weakness, SedanChair, in that you think businesses act according to a causal chain! But, in fact, through my theoretical research we can conclude that deontilogical ethics transcend both space and time which proves that-

*shits pants*

Don't ask me for facts, silly liberal! Have faith in Mises and Rothbard! :colbert:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

CommieGIR posted:

Don't ask me for facts, silly liberal! Have faith in Mises and Rothbard! :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGsFP1_kxiY

[WhoWhatNow:] Oh my God.
[SedanChair:] Ahh... What?
[WWN:] Dude, the red phone is flashing.
[SC:] Oh, yeah.
[WWN:] Let me scoop that up. Hello? Two Kings.
[SC:] Who is it?
[WWN:] What?! No! No loving way!
[SC:] What?
[WWN:] Chair, there's a potato famine in Idaho, you gotta go down there!
[SC:] Oh my God... what?
[WWN:] Dude, I gotta stay here!
[SC:] Why do I have to go?
[WWN:] Please! Please!
[SC:] Oh, God, okay.
[WWN:] Awesome... is he gone? Alright, emergency meeting of Parliament.
All right Parliament, I know this is hosed up,
but Chair, he can't be King anymore.
Dudes! He's encroaching on my decrees!
Seriously, let's make him "Duke," a kick rear end "Duke."
Or "leader formerly known as King," but-- uh-oh he's comin' back...
[sung]
[WWN:]We'll lead as Two Kings, oh yes
[WWN:]we'll really lead as Two Kings.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Can relationships be free of coercion. My mother gave birth to me, CHOOSING FOR ME the date of my existence. I stand against such aggression.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Oh no, other ideologies have criticisms and problems so let's try to create the purest ideology possible with perfect logic since that will obviously solve the worlds problems.

Wait a minute, that's incredibly loving stupid because the world is a complex place with complex problems that need complex solutions, not a stupid ideology completely divorced from reality.

It seems like libertarians see the world and go "this is too hard to figure out" so they stick their heads up their asses and try to create an ideology so far from reality that it is completely useless. Or maybe that's the point and the libertarian answer to the worlds problems is just to give up and let social Darwinism sort things out.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I want to pay a price of $5 for my entire internet bill and have 100MB/s download speed, but there's only two ISPs in town and neither will accept that rate. Isn't this coercion? I don't want to pay $50 for 40 MB/s, I want $5 for 100. In order to have internet service, I must pay a rate I don't want for a service that I feel is not worth the the money I am paying for it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

SedanChair posted:

Can relationships be free of coercion. My mother gave birth to me, CHOOSING FOR ME the date of my existence. I stand against such aggression.

Fortunately, there's at least one politician out there who's sympathetic to such libertarian sympathies generally, and that issue in particular.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

DrProsek posted:

I want to pay a price of $5 for my entire internet bill and have 100MB/s download speed, but there's only two ISPs in town and neither will accept that rate. Isn't this coercion? I don't want to pay $50 for 40 MB/s, I want $5 for 100. In order to have internet service, I must pay a rate I don't want for a service that I feel is not worth the the money I am paying for it.

Call up the ISPs and negotiate. Obviously in Libertopia the ISPs will value each individual customer and as long as you are persuasive enough you will have $5 1TB/s down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Fortunately, there's at least one politician out there who's sympathetic to such libertarian sympathies generally, and that issue in particular.

What does it say about lords of finance?