Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

spog posted:

Because a lot of keyboards no longer label the right 'ALT' key as 'ALT-GR'

(maybe it is to save ink?)

In the US they never really did. Under the standard US layout the two alt keys are functionally identical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm not sure anyone really knows what Alt Gr is supposed to do. It seems to change based on whatever window is active at any given moment for me.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

pr0digal posted:

Cisco is doing the free Meraki AP for attending a webinar thing again. Last year it was the MR16, I don't know what it will be this year.

https://meraki.cisco.com/freeap is the website for those interested.

Will they send another AP if we've already had one sent?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm not sure anyone really knows what Alt Gr is supposed to do. It seems to change based on whatever window is active at any given moment for me.

AltGr does three things: Push and release acts as the left Alt key. Combined with a key that has a third graphical character on it in the current layout types that character. Combined with any other key acts as Ctrl+Alt+key.
Of course some games handle it specially, treating it as "right alt", the same way they distinguish between left and right shift/ctrl keys.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

nielsm posted:

AltGr does three things: Push and release acts as the left Alt key.

Well, only in things that explicitly treat left alt and right alt as the same key. Whether it's labeled AltGr or just plain Alt, it will still send a different scancode, and poorly written software often ignores it or behaves bizarrely.

This is also why the games you mention are able to receive it as a separately bound key, though it's interesting that there's no rhyme or reason as to when a game will treat both alts the same or whether it treats them as distinct keys.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

MJP posted:

"Limit one free AP per organization and per individual." Doesn't look like it.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

MJP posted:

Not sure, I'll find out once I'm done the webinar and call the rep.

Somethingwicked: Hopefully that means during the "free AP period" since I did this last year. I'll find out soon enough.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

pr0digal posted:

Cisco is doing the free Meraki AP for attending a webinar thing again. Last year it was the MR16, I don't know what it will be this year.

quote:

IT professionals can receive a FREE Cisco Meraki access point (AP) with a 3-year cloud management license.

I'm assuming this means "free APs to licencees only"?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm assuming this means "free APs to licencees only"?

You'll get the AP and the 3 year license.

Alas you cannot get another one as the rep will pull up your account. Still an interesting webinar and if you don't have one it's worth getting one.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 18, 2014

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

MJP posted:

How about if you did the Webinar, rang the rep and got his voicemail, left a message and never heard anything back despite following up via email several times?
Will I perhaps get an AP this time around?

/still bitter

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

pr0digal posted:

You'll get the AP and the 3 year license.

Alas you cannot get another one as the rep will pull up your account. Still an interesting webinar and if you don't have one it's worth getting one.

I'll have to look into it. They need a VAT ID and I'm pretty sure someone else at my company has already jumped on the offer.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Varkk posted:

How about if you did the Webinar, rang the rep and got his voicemail, left a message and never heard anything back despite following up via email several times?
Will I perhaps get an AP this time around?

/still bitter

You could always go for it - want my rep's contact info? They were very good about getting me my AP quickly.

I think she's still there, hence I probably won't try for another freebie :-(

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Ticket of the month right here for me. Verbatim.

quote:

Clicked on a website for a murder I'm research and I got this warning:

http://www.security-alerts.com

Safari - Alert

Suspicious Activity Might Have been Detected.

Major Security Issue

To fix it please call Support for Apple

+1 855-326-4813 (Toll Free) immediately!

I tried closing out of the site but it wouldn't let me. So I called the number but it sounded bogus so I hung up and logged off. I can't log back into Safari. I had to get back to gmail on google chrome.

Any suggestions?

At least she hung up...

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
it's the nigerian email scam page

has anybody ever had somebody ask them for help wiring money to an overseas lottery commission or for an inheritance fee

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

pr0digal posted:

At least she hung up...

I'd probably write this one off as a win. Who knows how far it could have gone if something didn't trigger her spidey sense.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

tehloki posted:

has anybody ever had somebody ask them for help wiring money to an overseas lottery commission or for an inheritance fee

I had that happen once, when the grocery store I worked at also had a Western Union counter at the service desk. An older lady came in to wire money to (if I remember correctly) a "nice minister in Nigeria". While there is a chance it could have been legitimate (at least, a better chance than sending money for a lottery or an inheritance fee) it still sets off a lot of alarms for me.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

pr0digal posted:

murder researcher posted:

Clicked on a website for a murder I'm research

Murder that happened or murder that she was planning?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

tomapot posted:

Murder that happened or murder that she was planning?

Murder that happened. I work in TV and she's doing research for a show.

And yeah it's a win overall but she's one of the "special snowflake" users. At least she doesn't refer to herself in the third person like another one does.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

pr0digal posted:

Murder that happened. I work in TV and she's doing research for a show.

And yeah it's a win overall but she's one of the "special snowflake" users. At least she doesn't refer to herself in the third person like another one does.

That's what I figured. Our News users used to have different internet proxy settings because they'd always be researching icky things that would never get through the regular firewall.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'd probably write this one off as a win. Who knows how far it could have gone if something didn't trigger her spidey sense.

I had someone ask me why the NYPD kept sending them tickets via email. They were positive they had paid the last set they got.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Crowley posted:

I have a ticket to get a list of department membership from a list of usernames. Luckily for me the users' OU is their department. Unluckily for me I apparently can't Powershell for poo poo.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong in the following script?
code:
### Define Variables before we start ###
$PathToFile="C:\path\etc\blah\input.xml"

### Open XML Document ###
$xdoc = new-object System.Xml.XmlDocument
$file = resolve-path("$PathToFile")
$xdoc.load($file)

### Get the field we want from contents ###
$BrugerID = $xdoc.SelectNodes("//BRUGERID")

### Get the AD OU from the UserID ###
get-ADOrganizationalUnit -LDAPFilter '(name=$BrugerID)'
Everything works until the last line. If I Write-Output $BrugerID I get
code:
#text
-----
DOMAIN\userinitials1
DOMAIN\userinitials2
which should work fine, but I still get a big empty nothing out of get-ADOrganizationalUnit.

I've been wondering if I'm using the $Variable wrong, should I use Where-Object instead, or.. something else?

Get-ADOrganizationUnit means you're trying to find an OU that matches some properties. A user isn't a property of an OU, it's an object within an OU. But the directory is a hierarchy, so the parent OU of an object is a property of the object itself.

If you do

code:
Get-ADUser -Identity $BrugerID

you'll get the actual user. Pipe that to Get-Member:

code:
Get-ADUser -Identity $BrugerID | Get-Member
and you'll get a list of the basic properties of a user. Get-ADUser is actually limited by default so it runs quicker, but you can do:

code:
Get-ADUser -Identity $BrugerID -Properties * | Get-Member
and you'll have an enormous list. I'm not entirely sure if you can straight up get the OU (and I don't have access to a domain right now) which would be a quick way to get the OU itself, but one thing you always get with an AD object is its Distinguished Name, which is its full 'path' name in the directory. So:

code:
$user = Get-ADUser -Identity $BrugerID
$user.DistinguishedName
will give you something like "CN=Glen John,OU=NorthAmerica,OU=Sales,OU=UserAccounts,DC=FABRIKAM,DC=COM". You can use the latter part of that as the -Identity in Get-ADOrganizationUnit to get the actual OU object if you need it, though trimming the start of a string to a given character isn't something I can do off the top of my head (you can trim to an index value so you find the index of the character you want and then trim to/from that value).

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

nitrogen posted:

I had someone ask me why the NYPD kept sending them tickets via email. They were positive they had paid the last set they got.

Wait, aren't you based, well, quite some distance from New York? Was the user in NYC?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

tehloki posted:

I used to work at a call center for a bank. Had one lady call up and ask about the process of sending money overseas, fairly typical stuff. But then she asked if it was strange that this Spanish lottery had said she had won but she needed to send some details to them first. I immediately told her it was a scam, no one wins a lottery they didn't enter etc, but she ended the call saying "Well... maybe I did enter something..." That was depressing.

But I've managed to save others. Had another caller who was a hotel owner, claimed he had someone in Africa wanting to make a booking, they had a cheque they could transfer over, but it was for too high an amount, so they wanted the hotel owner to deposit it and refund them the extra. Guy called asking if that made sense, I told him right off that 1) overseas cheques take weeks to clear, and 2) That cheque was probably from some bank in the middle of nowhere, Africa that will take even longer to reply back to us to say it's bogus and to bounce it, by which point he's sent his 'refund' by far more legitimate means.

I credit that job with me now finding scams fascinating, and I love to read scam emails to see what angle they take.

Worst ever attempt I had to deal with: "Hey my name's Steve, this is Bob's account number, Bob owes me money so please transfer $100 out of that account to me. What do you mean you can't do that?"

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
MS is hitting some home runs lately: https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS14-068

http://blogs.technet.com/b/srd/archive/2014/11/18/additional-information-about-cve-2014-6324.aspx

quote:

Remediation

The only way a domain compromise can be remediated with a high level of certainty is a complete rebuild of the domain. An attacker with administrative privilege on a domain controller can make a nearly unbounded number of changes to the system that can allow the attacker to persist their access long after the update has been installed. Therefore it is critical to install the update immediately.

At least federated login seems to be safe.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007

spog posted:

Some do, some don't.

I just checked the first 4 keyboards on Argos.co.uk - half had them, half didn't (including an official MS one)
When I bought an MS Bluetooth keyboard off Amazon UK, the promo pics used the US layout, as did the front of the box - it just had a small sticker on it saying "hey, there's actually a UK layout keyboard in here".

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010

pr0digal posted:

Just signed up for this and have already had an email asking to confirm details and if they can call me for a pressure free conversation about our current situation. Anyone get this last year? I thought you sat through the webinar and then confirmed details? Anyone have the conversation request?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Lum posted:

Wait, aren't you based, well, quite some distance from New York? Was the user in NYC?

When this happened, I was in California. The user that got the emails was based in Boston, and frequently traveled to NYC, so it was possible for him to get a ticket from the NYPD.

in other news, one of my PM's is livid that a bunch of important documents she was storing in her deleted items folders got deleted.

It never ceases to amaze me how stupid people are. That should be an instant, fireable offense.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

nitrogen posted:

in other news, one of my PM's is livid that a bunch of important documents she was storing in her deleted items folders got deleted.

It never ceases to amaze me how stupid people are. That should be an instant, fireable offense.

Is it the one who "isn't technical"?

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 19, 2014

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

seadweller posted:

Just signed up for this and have already had an email asking to confirm details and if they can call me for a pressure free conversation about our current situation. Anyone get this last year? I thought you sat through the webinar and then confirmed details? Anyone have the conversation request?

It gets you on their list of people to talk to. In order to get the device I had to call the rep and confirm the shipping address and stuff. Yeah they wanted to talk about my current environment but they weren't super pushy.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

pr0digal posted:

They never stopped? Unless you can get another one?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

SEKCobra posted:

They never stopped? Unless you can get another one?

I got an e-mail from my Cisco rep about it so I assumed it was a cycle type thing :shrug:

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 19, 2014

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

nitrogen posted:

When this happened, I was in California. The user that got the emails was based in Boston, and frequently traveled to NYC, so it was possible for him to get a ticket from the NYPD.

Maybe all these people storing "do not delete" items in the Recycle Bin/Trashcan/Deleted Items Folder/Godzilla's Flaming Anus just need to be educated in how to create an entirely new folder they can name to "Do Not Delete"?

Or maybe that folder should be created on install, I dunno.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm working on a simple script to use Robocopy to move files older than 60 days to a variable created folder, then delete the folder. Even if I use /sd:%_robodel% it still lumps the source and destination folders into the source.

Here's what I'm trying to do - anyone know what I can try? Or even better, an option that doesn't require Robocopy?

Powershell is out, I don't want to futz with code signing or changing execution policy - optimally I'd just like to run this as a scheduled task.

code:
C:\> set _robodel=%TEMP%\~robodel
C:\> MD %_robodel%
C:\> ROBOCOPY "D:\Program Indexing\Trips\Processed\" %_robodel% /move /minage:60
C:\> del %_robodel% /q
I get the output below:

[code]

C:\Users\mpadmin\AppData\Local\Temp\2\~robodel>robocopy "D:\Program Indexing\T
rips\Processed\" %_robodel% /move /minage:30

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ROBOCOPY :: Robust File Copy for Windows

Started : Wed Nov 19 11:37:55 2014

Source : D:\Program Indexing\Trips\Processed" C:\Users\myaccount\AppData\Loca
l\Temp\2\~robodel \move \minage:30\
Dest -

Files : *.*

Options : *.* /COPY:DAT /R:1000000 /W:30

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ERROR : No Destination Directory Specified.

MJP fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 19, 2014

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

MJP posted:

I'm working on a simple script to use Robocopy to move files older than 60 days to a variable created folder, then delete the folder. Even if I use /sd:%_robodel% it still lumps the source and destination folders into the source.

Here's what I'm trying to do - anyone know what I can try? Or even better, an option that doesn't require Robocopy?

Powershell is out, I don't want to futz with code signing or changing execution policy - optimally I'd just like to run this as a scheduled task.

code:
C:\> ROBOCOPY "D:\Program Indexing\Trips\Processed\" %_robodel% /move /minage:60
I get the output below:

code:

C:\Users\mpadmin\AppData\Local\Temp\2\~robodel>robocopy "D:\Program Indexing\T
rips\Processed\" %_robodel% /move /minage:30

ROBOCOPY     ::     Robust File Copy for Windows

Started : Wed Nov 19 11:37:55 2014

Source : D:\Program Indexing\Trips\Processed" C:\Users\myaccount\AppData\Loca
l\Temp\2\~robodel \move \minage:30\
     Dest -

Files : *.*

Options : *.* /COPY:DAT /R:1000000 /W:30

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ERROR : No Destination Directory Specified.

Try:

code:
C:\> ROBOCOPY "D:\Program Indexing\Trips\Processed" %_robodel% /move /minage:60
I took out the trailing slash on the source directory.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

pr0digal posted:

It gets you on their list of people to talk to. In order to get the device I had to call the rep and confirm the shipping address and stuff. Yeah they wanted to talk about my current environment but they weren't super pushy.

Better than me. I got on a gently caress you spam list where now I get emails from 8 vendors who also ignore unsubscribe requests. 100% from Meraki, I got zero rmails of the sort beforehand.

That aside, anyone have a good resource aside from what I've seen searching the web for parsing an IIS log via powershell? I can get the PS script to find the correct log and select it but can't come up with a good way to pipe out the http 500 errors.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

nexxai posted:

Try:

code:
C:\> ROBOCOPY "D:\Program Indexing\Trips\Processed" %_robodel% /move /minage:60
I took out the trailing slash on the source directory.

It looks like doing that attempts to delete the entire directory. It also denies access, but I can try with /zb once I clarify that delete part.

Is it just that Robocopy's /move is actually copying to B and then deleting from A?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

MJP posted:

It looks like doing that attempts to delete the entire directory. It also denies access, but I can try with /zb once I clarify that delete part.

Is it just that Robocopy's /move is actually copying to B and then deleting from A?

Yes, /move does a move, not a copy. It removes the source directory.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

notwithoutmyanus posted:

That aside, anyone have a good resource aside from what I've seen searching the web for parsing an IIS log via powershell? I can get the PS script to find the correct log and select it but can't come up with a good way to pipe out the http 500 errors.

Worst case, PS supports regex. But I feel like you should be able to use one of the Import-FORMAT commands to get something that it can natively pipe around.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

Yes, /move does a move, not a copy. It removes the source directory.

Found a better way - forfiles does the trick. http://ss64.com/nt/syntax-delolder.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
What's this, an alert for low disk space on a terminal server? Well, I'll go take a look see, it can't be that low-

Oh. :stare:

Jesus Christ, Dept12...get your God-drat poo poo together.

And in case the chart on the right didn't clue you in, yes, most of the files in all those loving temp folders, after you drill down even further (since each folder contains Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content\Content.IE5\[random folder name]) are video and flash files:

It didn't look to be porn at first glance, but I wasn't interested in wasting time scouring through them.

• Locked thread