Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Pureauthor posted:

Paint fumes would be the last thing I want in the vicinity of a bedridden sick kid.

Ah, just get him some acrylics and a paintbrush. He'll be fine.

Now, for a moment there I was worried it was the spray lacquers that put him in the hospital in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Mecha Gojira posted:

Ah, just get him some acrylics and a paintbrush. He'll be fine.

Now, for a moment there I was worried it was the spray lacquers that put him in the hospital in the first place.

I know it won't happen, but I would be so happy to see Shimon piloting some horribly painted, mix-match machine that his little brother thought was the coolest kitbash in the world. That would just be adorable :unsmith:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I know it won't happen, but I would be so happy to see Shimon piloting some horribly painted, mix-match machine that his little brother thought was the coolest kitbash in the world. That would just be adorable :unsmith:

Ah, so Strike Gundam Red Cliff?

...I could see it.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

StrifeHira posted:

...I could see it.

hahaha what is that?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pyronic posted:

hahaha what is that?

Judging by the name, I'd guess it's China's revenge for the first half of the twentieth century.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

StrifeHira posted:

...I could see it.

Needs to have some Banshee stuff kitbashed on it to be properly edgy.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I just realized... the swim team's defeat due to being screwed by the RNG means that Team Try Fighters got a "Free" win. :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This was a great episode, for a lot of reasons. Put me on the list of people hoping that the damage to the Build Burning sticks. Hell, I could even see Sekai having to humble himself and ask Yuuma for help rebuilding it, and that being the path to them going from "belligerent, constantly-fighting rivals" to "belligerent, constantly-fighting friends".

It'd be kind of a reverse of Season 1's dynamic, in that way. Instead of "please fight with my rad Gunpla," it'd be "please let me fight with your rad Gunpla". Or, alternatively, instead of "please teach me to fight in the rad Gunpla I build", "please teach me to build rad Gunpla that I can fight in".

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Shimon's team didn't believe in the me who believes in you hard enough.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

StrifeHira posted:

...I could see it.

raven mode

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

This was a great episode, for a lot of reasons. Put me on the list of people hoping that the damage to the Build Burning sticks. Hell, I could even see Sekai having to humble himself and ask Yuuma for help rebuilding it, and that being the path to them going from "belligerent, constantly-fighting rivals" to "belligerent, constantly-fighting friends".

It'd be kind of a reverse of Season 1's dynamic, in that way. Instead of "please fight with my rad Gunpla," it'd be "please let me fight with your rad Gunpla". Or, alternatively, instead of "please teach me to fight in the rad Gunpla I build", "please teach me to build rad Gunpla that I can fight in".

Yeah, Yuuma certainly looked that he started to have a higher opinion of Sekai in the end so I can see him trying to fix it if Sekai asks. I still dont think its going to come out as well and they'll probably lose against the G-Masters in the grand finals. Hopefully everyone that gets up to the semi-finals earns a spot for whatever is coming up next. And that whoever fights against Try in the semi-finals gets beaten so hard they relegate their position to 5th place (which Shimon would win).

The fight was amazing though. I wouldn't put it above BSG vs Kampf Amazing in terms of how brutal it was (even thought it was very close) I'd say its way more unique given how it was basically a slugfest and you dont typically see that in gundam shows. Hope the damage sticks.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The fight was amazing though. I wouldn't put it above BSG vs Kampf Amazing in terms of how brutal it was (even thought it was very close) I'd say its way more unique given how it was basically a slugfest and you dont typically see that in gundam shows. Hope the damage sticks.

Looked very much like Star Build Strike versus Fenice to me. Except that Simon was using a crappy-snap-build rather than a top-of-the-line championship custom against the unstoppable Sei Iori prototype, and still did almost as well. :getin:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

quote:

MSM-03 Gogg (MSG)
MSM-07 Z'gok (MSG)
MSM-10 Zock (MSG)
XM-05 Berga Giros (F91)
XM-01 Den'an Zon (F91)
XM-02 Den'an Gei (F91)
ZGMF-X42S Destiny Gundam (Destiny)
GAT-04+AQM/E-A4E1 Jet Windam (Destiny)
MVF-M11C Murasame (Destiny)

Man I dunno, I thought that episode was a wash. It leaned really hard on the melodrama, and while I appreciated that Sekai and Shimon didn't let it get to them Yuuma and Fumina were ridiculous.

As for the battle, eeeeeh. I get the point that the Destiny is poorly built so the only thing its really got going for it are its fists because of its pilot, but watching the Build Burning just immediately total all of its weapons was a bummer. The actual punchout was great, but the finale was nonsensical. Destiny's Palma Fiocina (which is somehow a punch now) is right up against the Build Burning's face, and then an explosion. Ten seconds later and somehow the BB is a hundred feet in the air with its face in perfect condition.

At this point it's a pattern: odd numbered episodes are okay but overdramatic, while even numbered episodes are more like the original series.

EDIT: Honestly the intro was probably the best part of the episode.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 19, 2014

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
What were the ones on the kids shelf?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Savior, Strike Dagger, Duel, GOOhN, and a BuCUE. He was working on a Destiny Impulse.

...I didn't even have to look those up. :negative:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Shimon's team didn't believe in the me who believes in you hard enough.

He didn't quite pierce the heavens, but he sure came drat close.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

When he swung his hand up like that, for a half second, I expected Shimon to use Domon's Love/Anger/Sorrow line there for some reason.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A really good fight this episode!

I'm not sure how I feel about the rest of the episode. It continues to underline the problems with the writing.

Kousaka once again basically did nothing. He didn't even get the brief screentime Fumina got to consider things. So "he lacked the resolved to fight" that got him ring-outed felt entirely pointless. He's really basically a nonentity as a character at this point which is pretty damning considering how much screentime he's gotten.

I get why they did it but the double ringouts were pretty dumb. It would have been better if Fumina had been taken out of action a different way at least because it makes her look significantly worse to get taken out the exact same way in her *transforming Gundam capable of splitting into multiple parts.* I get the idea was supposed to be 'she was hesitant about fighting' but come on. They continue to just seem want to write a one-on-one show.

The biggest problem this episode had is that it underlines that Sekai is just... really goddamn boring. He has less motivation and less interesting characterization than his rival who (while likable) has the most cliche character imaginable. The fight also didn't do him a lot of favors as his Sei Iori custom model which is his 'other self' fought to a near-standstill against the lowest possible performance snap-build suit/ At least for me the end result of that was me going "holy poo poo, that boxer is amazing," while Sekai seemed kind of crappy in comparison.

I'm a bit torn on how I feel about the opening. On one hand it's a little disappointing. On the other hand it's goddamn hilarious.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

muike posted:

That hospital's security is unbelievably terrible or they don't care because he's THAT sick

He's in the new Gunpla Therapy wing, which has doctors from the Gunpla Medical School, many of whom ride the Gunpla Bus to work every day.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I'm a bit torn on how I feel about the opening. On one hand it's a little disappointing. On the other hand it's goddamn hilarious.

It was funny and they finally learned that jobbers should be taken out in the intro instead of being hyped up as a huge threat and the focus of an episode, so while I mourn their loss I'd rather have one-note teams being taken out like that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

It was funny and they finally learned that jobbers should be taken out in the intro instead of being hyped up as a huge threat and the focus of an episode, so while I mourn their loss I'd rather have one-note teams being taken out like that.

I just really wanted to see an underwater battle. :smith:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Me too! Even though it'd end with them getting punked because we already saw Sekai training underwater, it'd still be worth it because underwater mechs are cool.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Every battle from now on will be underwater. There will be a cut every five minutes to the captain of Team Free sobbing into his popcorn.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
So, weird question:

Was Island a G-Reco field?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I really would have liked to see Team Free pull a twist like 'space is like an ocean' or 'sand is like water' but I will settle for them freaking out and self destructing when there is no water at all.

Competitive gaming at its finest.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

So, weird question:

Was Island a G-Reco field?

Nope. It was an undeveloped version of the Orb Union from Seed, appropriately enough.

(Also, the Tundra field at the start was where Heero had his duel with Zechs in Antarctica in Wing.)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

After a rewatch, I actually really like how they interpreted the Destiny being shoddily built. It isn't slower or weaker or anything (though if it was the former it would have been cute if Shimon got around it with the Wings of Light), it's just ridiculously fragile. The impact from a blocked kick snaps off the beam cannon, and getting blasted into a cliff totals the backpack. Contrast Build Burning, which only takes noticeable damage from direct hits.

So even though at first it looked like Sekai was Reiji mkII, no he's totally just your regular Gundam protagonist coasting through on the strength of his suit alone.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

My thought on that one was that those guys had an awful lot of setup just to be some pre-opening punch line.

Like, would that joke have been less funny if we'd never seen that team before it cuts to them in their swim suits in this episode? Probably not. Maybe it would have actually been funnier that way.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Koopa Kid posted:

My thought on that one was that those guys had an awful lot of setup just to be some pre-opening punch line.

Like, would that joke have been less funny if we'd never seen that team before it cuts to them in their swim suits in this episode? Probably not. Maybe it would have actually been funnier that way.

I disagree. The joke was funny entirely because it was set up properly, we were shown Team Free and their superiority in water combat, with both the viewers and a character (I think it was Yuuma?) actually asking what they'd do if there wasn't any water. In most cases, one'd expect this situation to just not appear, or them to show some kind of secret skill for that situation.

Instead, GBFT went with the logical approach to it by showing them being completely useless and finally just self-destructing. Again, this'd be a lot less funny if it wasn't set up this well.

Also the entirety of Simon vs Sekai was neat except the end. I wanted Simon to win, and his loss felt a bit forced, though apart from that the fight was really good. I actually liked how Simon's teammates just self-destructed through ringout to take Yuuma and Fumina out, since it was clear they were totally useless. That way they at least helped. Hopefully, we'll see Simon again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the ending is a bit dissatisfying because it's pretty clear Sekai didn't win through any act of his own. He won because his robot was strong enough to nosell what should have been a pretty crippling attack.

If the next episode or two does something with that it'll be a lot more reasonable. It's kind of a coin flip if they will or not but I hope they do.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well the Destiny is forever doomed to be defeated by their opponent kicking them so really the outcome was 100% logical.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I think the ending is a bit dissatisfying because it's pretty clear Sekai didn't win through any act of his own. He won because his robot was strong enough to nosell what should have been a pretty crippling attack.

If the next episode or two does something with that it'll be a lot more reasonable. It's kind of a coin flip if they will or not but I hope they do.

I think there's no way they can't. They might have missed the mark a few times with how they plot things, but with the specific shots they used and lingering on shots of damage to it, I'm sure they're planning to make a deal of it. Having Sekai be the finisher for all the fights so far makes the probable outcome of the Build Burning giving out in the middle of the finals more dramatic, to boot (and would give the others a chance for once). Who am I kidding, it will break after Sekai wins the finals just in time for the midseason upgrades.

This episode does kind of raise the question of how build quality affecting performance is supposed to actually work, though. It can't be a limiter on power, speed, or toughness since Simon had all three to a greater extent than even custom builds from the other teams and did a number on something made by Sei. Or maybe the Destiny is simply so powerful as a stock model that any customizations of it are banned. I mean I know that contrivance exists only for plot purposes, but it would be nice if there was at least a little logic to it.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

chumbler posted:

This episode does kind of raise the question of how build quality affecting performance is supposed to actually work, though. It can't be a limiter on power, speed, or toughness since Simon had all three to a greater extent than even custom builds from the other teams and did a number on something made by Sei. Or maybe the Destiny is simply so powerful as a stock model that any customizations of it are banned. I mean I know that contrivance exists only for plot purposes, but it would be nice if there was at least a little logic to it.

Like Blitzblast said, it's not necessarily that it hinders the maximum performance, but the thing is super-fragile compared to custom builds. IT was breaking left and right even though it gave as good as it got.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Let us not forget the victory via filling one's gunpla with cotton stuffing.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

I disagree. The joke was funny entirely because it was set up properly, we were shown Team Free and their superiority in water combat, with both the viewers and a character (I think it was Yuuma?) actually asking what they'd do if there wasn't any water. In most cases, one'd expect this situation to just not appear, or them to show some kind of secret skill for that situation.

Amphibious mobile suits rule out of water too, Team Swim are the worst fans out of unterseebots I have ever seen.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Every true amphibious mobile suit fan knows their close range and beam based loadouts mean they are just better at guerrilla hit and run style combat on land, instead of being useless.

Do not underestimate the crushing claws!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Honestly the thing that made me the maddest about this episode was the perfect fakeout bait and switch away from Allied Forces. :argh: It's such a great song for passionate slugfests!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
We should have an Allied Force Try remix that incorporates theme music from the current crop of rivals and familiar faces because that's what the original Allied Force was about.

... Of course that would require the current rivals to have their own theme music. The music is great so far but none I'd associate with particular characters except for Sekai's powerup music.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

W.T. Fits posted:

I just realized... the swim team's defeat due to being screwed by the RNG means that Team Try Fighters got a "Free" win. :v:

You utter bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

This was the only real downer of the fight for me, actually. I was expecting the Build Burning's face to be missing like when Yuuki blew the Full Package's face off in their first fight.

• Locked thread