Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Fix posted:

I'm still mad about Sportsball. I called customer service and tried to get a refund because it doesn't have any kind of single player mode, despite the eshop entry saying it was for "up to 5 players." They wouldn't give me my money back, but I asked them to update the info on the eshop, which they now have. Now it reads "1-5 players" which is arguably worse.

It may be worth a shot to speak to the developer directly, if you haven't already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Might give that a try. Gonna try Nintendo again tomorrow because that's just dumb.

13/f/cali posted:

Wow, that's awful. It is so rare to find a game that isn't an MMO outright that features no single player mode, you would think they'd want to do all they could to make sure that was very clear.

Yeah well they were already fudging a bit with that fifth player, given that their role is evidently to watch the action on the gamepad and commentate the game into the microphone. The game of the four other players who all have to be in the same room with you. The game which only takes place on a single screen.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
What exactly is the point of that, then? I assume it doesn't record it, so couldn't you just commentate without using a peripheral since all the same people can still hear you?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You get to pretend to be an announcer or something, I guess?

Whatever, that's some bullshit. You definitely deserve a refund.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

13/f/cali posted:

What exactly is the point of that, then? I assume it doesn't record it, so couldn't you just commentate without using a peripheral since all the same people can still hear you?

Yep. You yell into your gamepad which then uses your voice through your TV speakers into the room in which you are all sitting. Apparently. Again, I haven't multiplayed this, I'm going only on reviews here, but seriously. I have no idea if it applies some kind of reverb or whatever, but apparently it's enough to warrant a 5th player notation.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd love for it to be anything more than that, but I'm not seeing that anywhere.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://twitter.com/NintendoNews/status/534763941751427073

Good news Meme Run was greenlit. Who needed quality control anyway?

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Uggggggghhhhhhhhhh.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

zolthorg posted:

The ethernet adapter is absolute hot wet garbage with a lower transfer rate then your average home wifi

Is this true? I would have thought that the ethernet adapter would get a better connection. I was gonna get one for smash but now I'm not so sure..

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I was having some connection bugs with Mariokart 8 and then they stopped after I got an ethernet adapter. Download speeds for digital games I buy are also pretty respectable for my home connection. Seems good to me.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

The_Frag_Man posted:

Is this true? I would have thought that the ethernet adapter would get a better connection. I was gonna get one for smash but now I'm not so sure..

I tested mine last night and go a 14mbs download speed and about a 58 ping via the ethernet adapter. A desktop PC on the same connection and with the same test got 20mbs and 24 ping.

I would guess it is probably capped at 14mbs.

(I am on a 20mbs connection)

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Long John Power posted:

I tested mine last night and go a 14mbs download speed and about a 58 ping via the ethernet adapter. A desktop PC on the same connection and with the same test got 20mbs and 24 ping.

I would guess it is probably capped at 14mbs.

(I am on a 20mbs connection)

Are you testing it on the Wii U or connected to your PC? If that is the results on the Wii U, would you mind running the same test using the wireless connection?

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

The_Frag_Man posted:

Are you testing it on the Wii U or connected to your PC? If that is the results on the Wii U, would you mind running the same test using the wireless connection?

It wasn't the best test because I was using a HTML5 browser test on the wiiU browser. I could easy imagine games having different access to the connection.

Will give the wireless the same test.

EDIT:

okay same test on wireless gave a 6.53mbps download and a 2mbps upload with a 58ms ping.

Also back on wired with the same test just now gave 14.76mbps download and 2.05mbps upload with a 57ms ping.

Same test on PC:

Long John Power fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Nov 19, 2014

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Long John Power posted:

Will give the wireless the same test.

Thanks buddy! Interesting that the ping time is about the same at around 58ms, the download speed gets a nice bump but it probably doesn't matter that much for games past a certain point. I imagine the wired connection is going to be more stable in general though.. thanks for doing that comparison.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

The_Frag_Man posted:

Thanks buddy! Interesting that the ping time is about the same at around 58ms, the download speed gets a nice bump but it probably doesn't matter that much for games past a certain point. I imagine the wired connection is going to be more stable in general though.. thanks for doing that comparison.

No problem, I guess it is a slightly anecdotal test though!

I used this site to test: http://speedof.me/m/ if anyone wants to do any more testing.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

God I hope someone sues them for using art assets or something.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It'll be 99cents, they'll probably make a max of $50 off it and it won't be any more lovely than that Monkey Tetris crapware. I think in the long run allowing the odd lovely game every now again encourages developers "Wow if this got published I probably can" and is much preferable to Nintendo picking and choosing what is gametic enough for them to deign to allow on their system.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

zfleeman, I have no idea whether ZombiU is your type of game or not but I think people would probably enjoy watching you play it, even though the two-screen stuff makes it difficult to record.

ZombiU looks like it could be my bag. And, oh, I guess I'm the Wii U LP guy now. Pointing a camera at the gamepad could be cool, but that would also have a dual purpose as a zfleeman crotch-cam.

zfleeman fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 19, 2014

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

zfleeman posted:

ZombiU looks like it could be my bag. And, oh, I guess I'm the Wii U LP guy now. Pointing a camera at the gamepad could be cool, but that would also have a duel purpose as a zfleeman crotch-cam.

You found your hook, then!

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

greatn posted:

It'll be 99cents, they'll probably make a max of $50 off it and it won't be any more lovely than that Monkey Tetris crapware. I think in the long run allowing the odd lovely game every now again encourages developers "Wow if this got published I probably can" and is much preferable to Nintendo picking and choosing what is gametic enough for them to deign to allow on their system.

Or it will poo poo all over the WiiU's already sub-optimal reputation and deter other developers.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

zfleeman posted:

ZombiU looks like it could be my bag. And, oh, I guess I'm the Wii U LP guy now. Pointing a camera at the gamepad could be cool, but that would also have a dual purpose as a zfleeman crotch-cam.
Now everyone can be constantly hoping you don't get an erection during the LP! Really, it shouldn't be too tough to crop the shot so only the gamepad's screen is showing - the only issue would be if you moved around too much.

Ivy posted:

Or it will poo poo all over the WiiU's already sub-optimal reputation and deter other developers.
hahahahahahaha

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Ivy posted:

You would be deterred because...?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

More retailer-exclusive Amiibos in the United States: Meta Knight will be exclusive to Best Buy.

http://nintendoeverything.com/meta-knight-amiibo-is-exclusive-to-best-buy/

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

JordanKai posted:

More retailer-exclusive Amiibos in the United States: Meta Knight will be exclusive to Best Buy.

http://nintendoeverything.com/meta-knight-amiibo-is-exclusive-to-best-buy/

Just so I'm not confused - the most Amiibos will do for Mario Kart 8 is give your Mii a costume, right? Absolutely no new racers?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Red posted:

Just so I'm not confused - the most Amiibos will do for Mario Kart 8 is give your Mii a costume, right? Absolutely no new racers?

Correct.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Another thing is that some of these amiibo's must be useless. How many titles are they going to find a way to incorporate the Wii Fit Trainer? Or Marth? If a third-party developer wants amiibo features, do they have to go to Nintendo and ask permission to use any of their characters? How willing is Nintendo going to be to lend them out? Surely for the third party characters it's even more of a mess (not like anyone is ever going to want the rights to use Shulk via an amiibo though)

Who knows though. Maybe they'll sell like hotcakes.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Calico Heart posted:

Another thing is that some of these amiibo's must be useless. How many titles are they going to find a way to incorporate the Wii Fit Trainer? Or Marth? If a third-party developer wants amiibo features, do they have to go to Nintendo and ask permission to use any of their characters? How willing is Nintendo going to be to lend them out? Surely for the third party characters it's even more of a mess (not like anyone is ever going to want the rights to use Shulk via an amiibo though)

They already mentioned you can use any Amiibo on Hyrule Warriors to get random weapons and whatnot. There will probably be some games where they are useless, but if they put in the effort they could be used for any game in some way.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Calico Heart posted:

There's always the appeal of simply being collectible figurines that will disappear from store shelves when the Wii U and 3DS get phased out in a handful of years. I'm more inclined to get an amiibo or two than I am Smash at this point (although I'll probably cave by the end of the night and pre-order it anyway.) I'm sure there are some Marth fans out there, but Wii Fit Trainer, probably gonna be the worst seller.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
amiibos should be light up

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

zfleeman posted:

Alright. I've seen enough descriptors that I don't like describing TW101, that I can just pass and watch an LP or something. Any good ones out there?

pussy

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
I can imagine the use of Megaman in other games will be incredibly low.

Sonic probably a few more, but in Sonic games no-one really should be playing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'd buy a Wii Fit Trainer amiibo if it replaced the creepy trainer in Wii Fit U.

I'm sure Marth will get some use in SMTxFE.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Calico Heart posted:

Another thing is that some of these amiibo's must be useless.

Eh, lots of people spend over $12 on plastic figures without any sort of digital functionality. I don't think amiibos are meant to "Feel Useful." They're just collectible toys that also might do a neat digital thing if you have a certain game.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Shelf Adventure posted:

Sonic probably a few more, but in Sonic games no-one really should be playing.

Put The Sonic Hat on any character, in any game on the Wii U.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The thing Hyrule Warriors is gonna do is pretty cool, where you can scan Amiibos daily to get weapons/materials. I hope more games take that kind of approach because it means none of them are really useless.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Monkey Fracas posted:

I doubt Nintendo are going to do that as they'd have to keep paying Sega money.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
A bunch of smash brothers reviews just dropped and they're all Very Good. Not many surprises. The game looks really great and it's supposed to be really great.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

I'll do it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Polo-Rican posted:

A bunch of smash brothers reviews just dropped and they're all Very Good. Not many surprises. The game looks really great and it's supposed to be really great.

I read a weird negative one that opened with a couple of paragraphs about his dad threatening to throw their N64 in the garbage and lamenting about how a story mode must have been excised because this game was "rushed" and how the original Subspace Emissary brought him to tears.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

I read a weird negative one that opened with a couple of paragraphs about his dad threatening to throw their N64 in the garbage and lamenting about how a story mode must have been excised because this game was "rushed" and how the original Subspace Emissary brought him to tears.

was this on Polygon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Polygon would probably say that the act of "Smashing" people makes them feel uncomfortable and hurt their feelings so they took 3 points off the score.

• Locked thread