Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AllLuckySevens
Oct 15, 2012
Am I correct in assuming The Hinterlands make up the majority of the game, or are there other large locations? I ask because I'm 8 hours in, still running around there and having a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

WYA posted:

Until what level ware you expected to dick around in the first zone?

Also cant believe how great this game is at alt-tabbing, a model for all games to come

I think Main Missions and new Areas have a recommended level range before starting them. So go through the story and do secondary stuff if you are too under-leveled if that's true.

Monster Mash
Sep 11, 2001

evilmiera posted:

Do Assassins skills work properly with bows or is it more of a dagger-oriented thing? About to decide between it and Artificer and I'm having a hard time of it.

You can use all of Assassin with Archery but you'll still need to pick up Hidden Blades for the talents under it. Just don't slot it.

I find Archery Rogue is amazing with a good weapon. This is my current weapon and I get 1k+ non-crits pretty regularly with the Full Draw (sometimes Long Shot) in the tree. I've seen as high as 2.4k a few times also. Leaping Shot with the knockback is good CC and Long Shot with the upgrade can get seriously silly since it doesn't always hit things in a line. It will sometimes just ricochet off and things to the left and right of your target. The biggest drawback to Archery rogue seems to be with the AI of your companions. Depending on how you ahve your Tank set they will not taunt your target until it's in range of you and sometimes your DPS followers will just wade into the combat ahead of everyone else because your range is so much farther than theirs. I've kind of circumvented this by senting my Tank to Defend my other Melee DPS so he wades in there eariler but sometimes that causes issues in the back rank.

The proc is what really makes this thing good. That is the first AOE mage spell and it staggers everyone around it when it goes off.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

monster on a stick posted:

Is the lots of RAM on the graphics card a hard requirement? Mine is only 1GB :ohdear:

Just use really low texture and mesh settings. I'd try mesh at high first though because apparently medium and low have some weirdness.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I really wish my AI companions would get their head out of their asses and use potions like i have them instructed to.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Do Qunari get any nice hats because the bald/bad hair look puts me off.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
I'm getting the hang of 2h melee. Not very far in though, only level 5, on nightmare. Just have to actively compensate for all the lovely parts of the UI, and get the movement abilities. I've used AHK to bind my dodge roll to a mouse button (because you can't bind mouse4/mouse5 in loving 2014 on an AAA title), I never hold down left mouse to attack and instead deliberately click each time if I want another attack to mitigate being rooted in animations 4 seconds after my target has casually wandered away from me, and making sure I have the right target selected so I can get my group to focus fire & so my attacks actually land.

Another thing that's crazy is lack of a dodge roll mechanic built in in 2014 in an action RPG.

I've definitely abandoned any sense of strategy like using my mage to CC etc. The interface is way too unusable for that.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Carecat posted:

Do Qunari get any nice hats because the bald/bad hair look puts me off.

Nope, you get warpaint for head options.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vehementi posted:

I've definitely abandoned any sense of strategy like using my mage to CC etc. The interface is way too unusable for that.

This is why I'm considering switching from Hard to Normal. I chose Hard because I wanted the game to require me to micromanage my characters and set up some tactical combos/positioning every now and again, and Hard definitely seems to do that, but it's a lot harder than it needs to be because I'm fighting the controls (both with KB+M and controller).

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How do I modify equipment that my party members are holding?

KoB
May 1, 2009

WYA posted:

You need to switch to that party member in the top right.

AllLuckySevens posted:

Am I correct in assuming The Hinterlands make up the majority of the game, or are there other large locations? I ask because I'm 8 hours in, still running around there and having a blast.

No, theres just a ton of loving poo poo in this game.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

AllLuckySevens posted:

I still haven't left the Hinterlands, but there are supposedly 7? other open world areas, and Hinterlands isn't the biggest one.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

WYA posted:

When you are in the weapon selection screen, use the arrows in the upper right to move between all unlocked party members. The weapons list will update with the weapons they are holding. Or this might be one of those issues where you don't realize you can scroll down because the scroll bar is on the left and almost completely unnoticeable.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

AllLuckySevens posted:

I'm level 5 and unlocked 2 areas just as large as the Hinterlands and my mind exploded.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

AllLuckySevens posted:

There are several other areas just as large as the Hinterlands or larger. I'll give BioWare this: they did not oversell the size of this game. In fact they might've undersold it.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
And at least the areas are pretty out of the box, unlike Skyrim

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

The Oasis is kind of maddening to navigate at first.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Rad Valtar posted:

I really wish my AI companions would get their head out of their asses and use potions like i have them instructed to.

I assume you mean how to not use them? Because they really like drinking those things. Like, a lot.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I've only run into one bug and it was hilarious. I talked to the shopkeep in haven while jumping and ny character got stuck floating like jesus on the cross. After playing like that for a bit, I went into buy/sell and it fixed itself.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Archimago posted:

I assume you mean how to not use them? Because they really like drinking those things. Like, a lot.

Really? I've had guys die multiple times because they wouldn't drink the things.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Has anyone else had trouble installing the game disc on the 360 version? I always get 5.3 gigs installed, and then get prompted to install again, which just reinstalls the same 5.3 gigs. When I check the hard drive, one file of the 3 that have installed is always corrupt.

Anyone know a fix? Maybe the disc is bad?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm surprised people haven't figured out a way to pirate this yet. Bioware's never been great with DRM...I mean sure, it's only been a day. Usually that's enough time, though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

I'm surprised people haven't figured out a way to pirate this yet. Bioware's never been great with DRM...I mean sure, it's only been a day. Usually that's enough time, though.

Did they ever end up cracking Lords of the Fallen? Because that was some hilarious pirate :qq:.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Harrow posted:

Did they ever end up cracking Lords of the Fallen? Because that was some hilarious pirate :qq:.

Yeah I think they figured it out right before Halloween, actually. But yeah that was hilarious.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

WMain00 posted:

Yeah I rolled a 2 handed qunari and i'm not sure if i'm enjoying it. I mean...cool armour and everything, but it doesn't feel fun.

Going to try rolling archer or mage...

Strangely I think the game wants you to roll a range or mage character given the abundance of warrior companions in the game.

How so? There are only three warriors just like there are of three mages and three rogues.

Starting off as a mage, I've found, gets a little tough since only one of the three party members is melee while the others are all relatively squishy even with barriers.

From the little time I've spent taking control of Cassandra and Varric, the three main classes all seem pretty fun. Even warrior, the usual boring punching bag, has some fun tricks. That said, I'm still pretty early on since I had to restart to get the game to recognize my Keep background instead of just the default.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 19, 2014

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Thumbtacks posted:

Yeah I think they figured it out right before Halloween, actually. But yeah that was hilarious.

Nope, LotF is still not cracked. Denuvo is doing its job for the moment.

It's not that the DRM is any different, Denuvo just encrypts the parts of the game that the hackers need to be able to change to circumvent the DRM, and they haven't cracked that encryption yet.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
So is the PS3 version okay, or was it a lovely port? I haven't seen anything about it, only the next-gen versions of the game.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Hiro Protagonist posted:

So is the PS3 version okay, or was it a lovely port? I haven't seen anything about it, only the next-gen versions of the game.

If it's like what I've heard of the 360 version, it's uglier and slower to load, but okay enough. Not that I could tell you first hand, being PS4 and all.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Hiro Protagonist posted:

A few people have reported that it's Pretty Okay, just don't expect it to look like the PC-Ultra screenshots you've been seeing. My understanding it's basically the game on PC-Low settings (which still looks pretty decent) and some fairly noticeable texture pop-in.

Load times are reportedly longer, but if you've put an SSD in your PS3 I imagine that would mitigate that issue significantly; may even help with the texture pop-in.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

YorexTheMad posted:

Playing a Dalish Mage, currently level 4 or 5 in the Hinterlands.

Is there a secret to making playing a mage... not suck? I picked up Barrier and the threat talent because everything was ignoring Cassandra and charging me, so I'm stuck with my two starter abilities so far and they seem underwhelming, to say the least. And staff autoattack damage is laughable.

Any tips to salvage this character with a respec or should I just, like, reroll an Archer or something?

The first thing to do as a mage is respec get Barrier and Guardian Spirit. Then pickup 2 Detonator Abilities like Immolate and Energy Barrage. These do big damage when a target is in a Disabled state (Includes Frozen, Paralyzed, Stunned, and Asleep) .

Other skills that are good to pickup are Conductive Current and Wall of Fire.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Is it just me or does drinking a potion seem to interrupt knockdown?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

AllLuckySevens posted:

Ahahaha you poor bastard. Wait'll you get out into the other maps. :laugh:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Is stuff in the Valuables slot vendor trash, or is there anything I want to keep?

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

AllLuckySevens posted:

There are a whole bunch of other zones but that one is probbaly by far the largest.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Is stuff in the Valuables slot vendor trash, or is there anything I want to keep?

The Monster Research stuff goes into that slot. So if you go run over to the table and do the turn in before you sell you can sell everything in valuables.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

It's honestly one of the best RPGs ever made.

I miss when snakes trolling wasn't just low effort poo poo posting. This is honestly terrible

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Rad Valtar posted:

Weird. I haven't messed with their instructions yet and they suck them down like we're at a kegger.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
Guys. I'm 11+ hours in and I'm considering restarting again. I think I need help.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For other Mages playing on Hard: any tips for early character building? I think I'm going to respec when I get home and try to build better to set up/exploit my own combos (Chain Lightning + Elemental Barrage seems good for that). Also, are you finding Storm, Winter, or Inferno more useful? It seems like Storm is going to synergize best with Knight Enchanter when I unlock it, but because respeccing is so easy there's no reason I need to go with it now if there's a better option.

Also, Fade Step from the Winter tree is just solid gold. It works a lot better when you're not in tactical view, like most things, because you can steer as you go.

Geostomp posted:

How so? There are only three warriors just like there are of three mages and three rogues.

Starting off as a mage, I've found, gets a little tough since only one of the three party members is melee while the others are all relatively squishy even with barriers.

From the little time I've spent taking control of Cassandra and Varric, the three main classes all seem pretty fun. Even warrior, the usual boring punching bag, has some fun tricks. That said, I'm still pretty early on since I had to restart to get the game to recognize my Keep background instead of just the default.

Yeah, there's a close-to-equal amount of ranged and melee companions. Obviously all of the Warriors are melee and (pretty much) all of the Mages are ranged (just because I can't imagine the AI's going to do much good with Vivienne's Knight Enchanter abilities), and the Rogues are split. And hell, as far as I can tell, there's not much stopping you from making Varric melee, except that being objectively wrong because separating a man from his Bianca just ain't right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

There are plenty of audio glitches... and I'm at a point where my save is busted because it freezes every time it's loaded. No, not even a long load time, I've gone and made a sandwich and it's still stuck. It feels like they didn't bug test at all at times.

Welp, time to scrap the 7 hours I put into the game. :v:

• Locked thread