Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

SavageMessiah posted:

Well there's a reprint of all the older COIN games scheduled for Q2 2015 so they're doing their best.

...I did not know that. That's actually a lot better than I thought, and I take back my complaint.

Like, product shortages or gaps between print run schedules are one thing. Even industry giants like FFG and Mayfair run into that problem, and I totally understand a smaller company having bigger gaps. But when Andean Abyss didn't even have a P500 option, I thought they'd just abandoned the game entirely in favor of newer COIN titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
GMT tries to keep in stock a selection of their most popular titles (Twilight Struggle, Dominent Species, etc) They don't P500 their big title reprints typically.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

Quick question - is there a consensus on the "best" large-scale game? I want something to play solo in VASSAL during slow times at work, and just keep a running save file going.

I understand that the SCS system (Afrika, Bastogne, Stalingrad Pocket, etc.) is really well-liked and very approachable, how does it compare with the OCS system? Looks like Tunisia, Burma, and Case Blue are the top rated OCS games, but I know nothing about any in that system.

It depends on what you are looking for in a game. The supply rules in OCS really change the focus, it's not about combat, it's about logistics. SCS is a lot more standard wargaming fare. Yom Kippur is probably my favorite SCS game. For OCS solo play, there are some really good 3 turn scenarios in GBII that you can replay over and over to learn the system. It's a real challenge to match Guderian's historical advance in October 1941 purely in terms of logistics, but once you can do that you've learned the supply system well enough to be able to play a real game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Gonna steal this from another thread because I think it's interesting:

Lichtenstein posted:

WWII games have this weird circular thing about them, where at first it feels super weird to see people having fun playing nazis, then you begin to get the idea behind historical games and then finally you realise there actually are quite a few nazi fetishists among the gamers. Not as much holocaust deniers, but rather Hugo Boss and chivalrous wehrmacht myth afficionados.

The SS list thing, the exaggerated elitism, is actually spawned from these guys being a very real market force. I mean, it's fine to follow history and have them be dudes with like, higher morale or shiniest new tanks available, but is there really a reason nearly all WWII board wargames find it imperative to differentiate SS units by a separate, black, color scheme of the counters, instead of just giving them better numbers? That's like, skeezy fanservice for grogs.

PS. I recall some old Avalon Hill game having pink SS counters. Sadly, I can't recall which one was that.
This immediately made me think of No Retreat, in which the exact same thing happens. And also Unconditional Surrender: in USE, the SS is indeed black, but only in the central symbol and there are other units with different colours (the paras, the shock armies/guards for the USSR, so I don't know if that excuses it somewhat or not). I guess I never really paid attention to it, it was just something that was present and I accepted it without really thinking about it (although I was aware of the fact that the SS weren't exactly elite units in the modern sense of the word).

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I mean, the black hats are differentiated in Guns of Gettysburg, kinda in the same way. I guess there's a better reason for that, but even so, it doesn't feel like that much of a big deal for me.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Just to make things clear, by "at first" I meant the "oh, so it's like a monopoly with tanks?" kind of "at first".

Also, I'd really love for someone to remind me which game featured the pink SS.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

If you can't tell which one is SS it's less satisfying to encircle those fuckers and starve them to death :unsmigghh:

(unity of command russian campaign owns)

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

The Barbarossa Campaign, ohh yeah.
(I've clipped them since, don't worry)

From the MilHist thread in A/T I learnt that the SS often had sub-par equipment due to Nazi bureaucracy being a mess, so they often used captured or even improvised small arms.

edit: I once played No Retreat with a guy that as soon as he saw the SS counter went into a big speech about how the SS were the last true noble warriors :stonk:

Then he told me a story about how this SS fallschirm regiment was encircled once, the Americans asked them to surrender, and the SS commander's reply? "Nuts!" ("Nüsse" presumably?) At this point I wondered if he was messing with me but then again Wehraboos aren't known for being smart so I just got out as quick as I could.

Morholt fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 19, 2014

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Actually are there any good wargames about the Russian counteroffensive? Deep Battle erryday.

(not that the Russians were sunshine and roses but at least they didn't have explicit genocide units)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Morholt posted:

Then he told me a story about how this SS fallschirm regiment was encircled once, the Americans asked them to surrender, and the SS commander's reply? "Nuts!" ("Nüsse" presumably?) At this point I wondered if he was messing with me but then again Wehraboos aren't known for being smart so I just got out as quick as I could.
That's some premium Wehraboo trolling.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Morholt posted:

Then he told me a story about how this SS fallschirm regiment was encircled once, the Americans asked them to surrender, and the SS commander's reply? "Nuts!" ("Nüsse" presumably?)

Got it backwards.

This was at Bastogne; US General McAuliffe was asked to surrender, and his reply was "NUTS!" The German translator translated it back to the German General Luttwitz as "go to Hell".
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Bastogne#Battle )

Morholt posted:

Wehraboos

Ahahaha.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

Got it backwards.
Yes, I know. I didn't correct him, I really didn't want to get into a discussion with this guy.

He also belonged to an ethnic minority which made the Nazi-worship even more puzzling.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
[edit] wrong thread, sorry

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Yeah that is my one beef with combat commander, SS units have elite stats.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
Beyond Valor is the first module of Advanced Squad Leader; purely Germany versus Russia on East Front. Fine, fine; kind of weird that the US Europe module is still out of print but w/e.

The second scenario in Beyond Valor is a Jewish ghetto doing a last stand against SS death squads. I...really don't know about this.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

It continues: I'm going to resume clipping more Advanced Squad Leader counters.

Progress up to this point:

Counters needed to clip:

I'll see you folks next year after the wrist surgery.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
Consider using one of these guys:

Rounded corner clippers from Oregon Laminations. I've been using the 2mm size for a long time and it makes absolutely beautiful rounded counters and it's something that you can do without devoting pretty much any attention to it. Clip, turn, clip, turn, clip, turn, clip, next. Repeat while doing anything.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Pretty much spent a weekend using one of those from oregon lamination (not that specific one, though) and they work wonderfully, you don't even need to pay attention.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
Just wanted to add that there are deluxe and regular versions of each size. The regular model works fine but does require a bit of attention still to make sure the counter is lined up. The deluxe is truly idiot and attention proof though since it forces it to be lined up perfectly.

Get the deluxe.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Trynant posted:

Counters needed to clip:

...Jesus.

In other news, Navajo Wars just came in the mail. Paid $25 for it and it's in perfect condition and all the counters are punched. Score! Can't wait to break this out.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Trynant posted:

Counters needed to clip:

You're gonna paint the edges too, right? Right?

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

Pierzak posted:

The rabbit hole never ends

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

We've gone too far, TOO FAR!

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

My Combat Commander counters are from the printing where they accidentally had side nubs in addition to the corner nubs so rather than round the corners and still have frilly bits on the side I used the scissors on my swiss army knife to cut the corners into perfect right angles. I had a dent in my thumb for hours.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

cenotaph posted:

My Combat Commander counters are from the printing where they accidentally had side nubs in addition to the corner nubs so rather than round the corners and still have frilly bits on the side I used the scissors on my swiss army knife to cut the corners into perfect right angles. I had a dent in my thumb for hours.
Don't remind me. You know the kind of HDF terrain they use for miniature gaming? Same basic principle, little nubs hold parts you pop out. In some cases (it was an amateur initiative rather than commercial terrain) those were several times too wide and had to be cut from the sheet manually. And all of them would show after painting and I had to cut them flat with a hobby knife.

...all 20 lbs of terrain :suicide:

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

We've gone too far, TOO FAR!

lol if you don't mount your counters on magnets and play on a whiteboard in your garage.

(not mine)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I am amazed by how good of an idea that is.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
They don't make the magnetic counter holders anymore and buying them used is crazy pricey. If only I had a time machine to the '70s :allears:

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
The real answer is to glue refrigerator magnents to the back of all your counters so your A World at War basement can look like this:

Look at it. Look at it

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

Morholt posted:

lol if you don't mount your counters on magnets and play on a whiteboard in your garage.

(not mine)

Quite possibly the best idea ever. This may be the solution to me not having space to leave my games out.

The only trouble will be putting magnets on all those counters. 840 if we get Totaler Krieg. But then I'm already considering getting a counter clipper of some kind in advance of getting the game...

:negative:

Bullbar fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 22, 2014

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

orphean posted:

Look at it. Look at it
Five seconds with a leafblower, that's all I ask.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Pierzak posted:

Five seconds with a leafblower, that's all I ask.

That ain't right...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I played through the Navajo Wars tutorial with the physical game set tonight and... I'm really blown away with how elegant and well-designed it is.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Can't you just buy a big sheet of magnet with stickiness on one side, paste the counters, and cut? Heck, if you have an image of the counter sheet, you could probably print out a magnet sheet.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Can't you just buy a big sheet of magnet with stickiness on one side, paste the counters, and cut? Heck, if you have an image of the counter sheet, you could probably print out a magnet sheet.

At the moment I'm looking at magnet strips that are sticky on one side and 15mm wide. They seem to be pretty cheap for about 10m worth

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Actually not a great idea for ASL. The system uses hidden stacks so being able to differentiate pieces through paint would be awful. Besides if I wanted to paint I would of gone for a miniatures hobby.

Didn't actually do any clipping today; just resorted a lot of pieces. The hardest part of Advanced Squad Leader at the moment has been a proper storage solution with the rules reading being a close, close second.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So I got that 15 bucks off for backing the digital version of Twilight Struggle (how I wish I could have offered the 200 dollar deluxe edition of the game backer level, hopefully they'll have some left over I can snatch up) but I've been trying to think about what to get. I was thinking maybe Commands and Colors: Napoleonics, Reds! or maybe FAB: Sicily. How do those stack up? I see that most of the C&CN expansions are getting a reprint next year so that is a positive for me.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Whoo, now I need to clear off the games table, it's storing stuff from the house being painted.

Also that edition of OGRE really is silly (355ml can for scale).

Are there any good counter trays for one-inch counters? I have Titan in a Plano-type box which works pretty well, but I can't fit the board/maps in the game box along with it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Played a full game, won as the VC, we went to 5 Coups. Everyone enjoyed it (I hope) and most if not everyone got close, although the US got really smacked down. By the end of the game, the US had more cubes in out of play than on the board/available: it's clear that staying anywhere near the NVA is a recipe for disaster. Will post some pics of the end state of the board soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008