Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Can I interest any of you fine people in some lovely elfroot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Geostomp posted:

If it's like what I've heard of the 360 version, it's uglier and slower to load, but okay enough. Not that I could tell you first hand, being PS4 and all.

How is it on PS4? I'm getting one, like today.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
The way the combos work it seems like a waste to set up your own combo. The cross class combos on paper are much more powerful. Which sucks because controlling your companions is the worst thing ever.

deathsuxdontdie
Apr 12, 2004

Excellent Patient Care

SgtSteel91 posted:

Great. There is some stuttering in random spots when you zone in and the load times can be kinda lovely after playing these games on a PC SSD for so long but I'd recommend the PS4 version over what I'm hearing about the other consoles.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
^^^Do the nextgen consoles not have SSDs? I thought they did for some reason.

Sprawl posted:

The Monster Research stuff goes into that slot. So if you go run over to the table and do the turn in before you sell you can sell everything in valuables.

So literally everything else that goes into that tab is useless?

If so, that's good to know, but why they wouldn't put the monster research into 'Quest items' and then rename valuables to 'Junk' is beyond me.

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.

SgtSteel91 posted:

There's some framerate dips, but nothing that's unplayable. The loading when you first load a save is a bit slow but after that the loading isn't too bad at all. I've only played for about 3 hours so maybe I just haven't experienced anything lovely yet, but it seems perfectly fine so far.

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

Archimago posted:

If so, that's good to know, but why they wouldn't put the monster research into 'Quest items' and then rename valuables to 'Junk' is beyond me.

Eh, not everything - stuff like Spider Ichor (needed for a requisition) is put in there too. None of that stuff is hard to get though.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Archimago posted:

Yeah its dumb. There are tooltips telling you to just trash all your valuables without even mentioning the research stuff.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So how's this compare to DA:O or the second one? The second one was generally poo poo but the combat was surprisingly good...I've heard you can't customize the AI to the extent you could in DA:O, which is sad but expected.

Worth the purchase right away or should I wait until it's either on sale or cracked?

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Thumbtacks posted:

So how's this compare to DA:O or the second one? The second one was generally poo poo but the combat was surprisingly good...I've heard you can't customize the AI to the extent you could in DA:O, which is sad but expected.

Worth the purchase right away or should I wait until it's either on sale or cracked?

It likely won't be cracked anytime soon.

This question has been asked at least once on literally every page for like the last 10 pages, just click one at random and you should find it being discussed.

Tl;DR: Don't purchase quite yet, wait for a few patches to drop.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

If you're willing to play with a controller for now, it's probably worth a purchase. The combat is better than DA2, I think, and it looks like there's an absolutely staggering amount of things to do. It's a pretty massive open world stuffed with quests. The writing is about equal to any other recent BioWare game. Also it looks quite pretty.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I've decided to be a rogue archer but I don't know if I should be an artificer or assassin, anyone have any impressions of either of those specializations?

KoB
May 1, 2009
I asked Varric about Orsino flipping out in DA2 and hes just like "I dont know, mages are weird." :allears:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Harrow posted:

If you're willing to play with a controller for now, it's probably worth a purchase. The combat is better than DA2, I think, and it looks like there's an absolutely staggering amount of things to do. It's a pretty massive open world stuffed with quests. The writing is about equal to any other recent BioWare game. Also it looks quite pretty.

I only play Dragon Age with a controller. Is the keyboard loving up or something?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

I only play Dragon Age with a controller. Is the keyboard loving up or something?

Its just not that good.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So in the Venatori Agent Identity mission, which of the 3 options is actually correct?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
How is Archery compared to melee DPS after you get into the game a bit? Is it viable? I ask because I was doing more than double damage as a dagger rogue early on compared to the "oops hosed up character creation big time" archer I had made and played for an hour. Of course ranged was easier in terms of dealing with the games horrible controls.

Monster Mash
Sep 11, 2001

MaxxBot posted:

I've decided to be a rogue archer but I don't know if I should be an artificer or assassin, anyone have any impressions of either of those specializations?

Do you like to CC and support or outright murder things? Artificer = Traps + Group Buffs, Assassin = ranged single target murder

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Who is the better sword & board AI Tank? Cassandra or Blackwall?

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

KoB posted:

Its just not that good.

I don't think it's terrible, or whatever, but the default key bindings are pretty bad. The game controls a lot like WoW only with character momentum. There are a lot of small issues though - the tac camera bugs and the tiny interaction range being two of the worst, imo.

Monster Mash
Sep 11, 2001

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Who is the better sword & board AI Tank? Cassandra or Blackwall?

Blackwall unlocks Champion which is outrageously good.

edit: AI wise I've found Blackwall to be a bit smarter about keeping things of my group but you'll still need to micro him a little for boss AOEs and positional attacks.

Monster Mash fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 19, 2014

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

KoB posted:

I asked Varric about Orsino flipping out in DA2 and hes just like "I dont know, mages are weird." :allears:

I can only hope for something similar if they really do make a Mass Effect game that follows the other three.

"Grandpa, did you go off your meds for that last part?"

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Does anyone have any idea how to do the Way of the Knight Enchanter quest? It doesn't tell you anything and nothing about it shows up on any map.

Monster Mash
Sep 11, 2001

quaunaut posted:

Does anyone have any idea how to do the Way of the Knight Enchanter quest? It doesn't tell you anything and nothing about it shows up on any map.

Open Journal, Set as Active. I believe all of the Specialization quests are:

1.) Talk to your companion that gets this specialization or go to Val Royale to get a book
2.) Collect some poo poo (most likely NPCs around a zone that your Journal quest text should tell you)
3.) Collect some crafting poo poo
4.) Craft an item.

Monster Mash fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 19, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

It's good, but Unity levels of buggy apparently. The Bioware forums are full of people talking about eaten saves/crashes/glitches, and even here we have people ending up inside of cutscenes if they hit enter too quickly. In my game for example anybody wearing actual ingame armor just isn't wearing any clothing, so half my keep is premodeled people in premodeled armor, and the other half is people in their skivvies.

I'd say wait until it goes on sale during EA's probably Christmas sale. The bugs will have been ironed out, and you'll be able to check a handy guide to see what carries over from the Keep.

And yes, Bioware is totally selfaware that people didn't like DA2, and the base party of Varric/Solas/Cassandra basically spend half their lines making fun of how stupid Varric's story was/sounded/everyone in the world outside of the players is loving dumb. It's refreshing to see them take a jab at themselves.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Monster Mash posted:

Open Journal, Set as Active. I believe all of the Specialization quests are:

1.) Talk to your companion that gets this specialization or go to Val Royale to get a book
2.) Collect some poo poo (most likely NPCs around a zone that your Journal quest text should tell you)
3.) Collect some crafting poo poo
4.) Craft an item.

I also did some more research. Apparently the zone I collect things from isn't unlocked yet, and isn't on my War Map yet either. :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well I'm gonna have to restart now because I looked at the Keep and realized I had set one flag wrong (killed Architect instead of let him live).

I've never played a Warrior in this series (or any other, that I can remember) so I might just do that. I really can't stand Cassandra sometimes. She's just so mad at everything.

I wish the American Female Voice was good but it's... not. And the only other option is sounding like Posh Spice. Come on, BioWare, couldn't you do like, I don't know, an Irish accent or something? :uggh:

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Hey guys, for those of you that sperged hard on ME3 multi, does this scratch that itch? I'm probably not going to play it for another month or so and I'd hope the multi was alive and well. ME3 was the only game I ever got one of those "hey we've released new stuff for our game come play it" emails I actually used, and even 6 months after release people were playing and new players would show up.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

^^^It's fun but has issues--mostly with lag. In a month, it should be pretty cool.

Bioware could've saved themselves and all of us a lot of heartache by just giving us one little settings.ini file that let us tweak stuff like tac cam zoom, pickup range, etc.

I can't think of a good reason to not do this. Does Frostbite not support .ini files? :v:

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

OxMan posted:

Hey guys, for those of you that sperged hard on ME3 multi, does this scratch that itch?

When you read the feedback, remember that the day 1 patch isn't out yet.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

I wish the American Female Voice was good but it's... not. And the only other option is sounding like Posh Spice. Come on, BioWare, couldn't you do like, I don't know, an Irish accent or something? :uggh:

I'm with you on the American voice sounding pretty bland. The girl sounds bored.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Rookersh posted:

It's good, but Unity levels of buggy apparently. The Bioware forums are full of people talking about eaten saves/crashes/glitches, and even here we have people ending up inside of cutscenes if they hit enter too quickly. In my game for example anybody wearing actual ingame armor just isn't wearing any clothing, so half my keep is premodeled people in premodeled armor, and the other half is people in their skivvies.

I'd say wait until it goes on sale during EA's probably Christmas sale. The bugs will have been ironed out, and you'll be able to check a handy guide to see what carries over from the Keep.

And yes, Bioware is totally selfaware that people didn't like DA2, and the base party of Varric/Solas/Cassandra basically spend half their lines making fun of how stupid Varric's story was/sounded/everyone in the world outside of the players is loving dumb. It's refreshing to see them take a jab at themselves.

In that case I'll stick with my usual holiday plan. Christmas or cracks, whichever comes first. Hopefully by then the fixes will be out.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Vehementi posted:

The way the combos work it seems like a waste to set up your own combo. The cross class combos on paper are much more powerful. Which sucks because controlling your companions is the worst thing ever.

Yeah, it's a pro/con trade-off. Pro, they're a lot more powerful. Con, you're using the tac mode to micro, and that's not very fun in this game.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Ok yeah, the game really starts getting epic once you get deeper in. I am super hyped now.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

In that case I'll stick with my usual holiday plan. Christmas or cracks, whichever comes first. Hopefully by then the fixes will be out.

As much as you seem to love pirating games, you're not really supposed to discuss it here.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Man the mouse keyboard controls are terrible. You have to keep the mouse at the right edge of the screen to be able to look around. Fortunately I have an xbox360 controller or otherwise it would be unplayable.

Weird thing is the cut scenes have stuttering in them but the game itself runs super smoothly (970GTX)

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Did they seriously push the release back a month just for it to be this buggy and unstable at release? Jesus.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Lowtechs posted:

Man the mouse keyboard controls are terrible. You have to keep the mouse at the right edge of the screen to be able to look around. Fortunately I have an xbox360 controller or otherwise it would be unplayable.

Weird thing is the cut scenes have stuttering in them but the game itself runs super smoothly (970GTX)

Uh I think you can hold down the RMB and use that to look around? At least that's what I do.

HIJK posted:

Did they seriously push the release back a month just for it to be this buggy and unstable at release? Jesus.

Is it really that buggy or is it a biased sample of people here because the rest are too busy playing the game?

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.

HIJK posted:

It makes me wonder what it was like a month ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

HIJK posted:

EU release is tomorrow.

• Locked thread