Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

keykey posted:

So do you actually do all sorts of EMT things for 9.60 or do you just get to drive the van?

Rhyno posted:

You make less helping to save lives than I do slinging funnybooks. I suddenly feel better about my life.

I'm actually on a BLS unit most of the time, which means two EMTs instead of one EMT and one medic. That means that half the time, I'm the one in the back providing all care. You'd be amazed what can happen on a call that started off BLS...like death. I've had two people try their hardest to die in the ambulance during the last two months (NOBODY DIES IN THE AMBULANCE) on calls that were first dispatched out as very benign things, like suicidal ideation (somebody said they wanted to kill themselves once six months ago, so now all hospital-hospital transfers must happen in an ambulance), or abdominal pain (stomachache). The SI guy turned into a brain bleed halfway through transport (though it looked very much like a cardiac call), and the abdominal pain patient was actually a chest pain patient when we showed up. SNFs like to lie a lot when they call for a non-911 ambulance, because ten BLS transfers to hospitals at 2 AM looks a poo poo-ton better to DHS than even one 911 call out. Of course, her and her chest pain were 30 minutes from the nearest medic unit, so I really had no choice but to take Miss Heart Attack on my own to the hospital, because why the gently caress would I make her wait another half hour when the hospital was 10 minutes away? I average one "Lying SNF"-call every three nights or so, where they call it out as BLS but it is clearly an ALS or even a nurse (we have nurse trucks) or 9-1-1 call. Again, though, unless there's a medic ride closer, I'm usually going to decide to take them myself to the hospital for faster care. Better they be getting inappropriate (BLS) care in an ambulance on the way to the hospital instead of no care in a SNF or assisted living facility, y'know?

Even on an ALS (EMT/Medic) ride, the EMT does a lot, if the medic allows it. I mean, some medics refuse to let you do anything even if it's within your scope and look down on you, but they're very rare. Most medics realize that they can use time much more effectively if they let the EMT do most of the grunt work. For instance, the one medic I work with regularly will sort through the drug box and draw up (or prepare, like with nebulizer) a medicine, while I prep an IV and do everything but actually stick the guy. Then while he's administering meds after the stick, I can at the same time be throwing on some EKG pads and taking the first set of vitals. BOOM! Patient gets faster care, everybody does everything. I'm also a 68W Combat Medic, which is kind of like a trauma EMT. Splinting, dressing, gross wound care, horrible trauma situations, etc are not really a problem for me, compared to a lot of EMTs. I get no extra legal rights or privileges, but the line gets a little blurrier when poo poo hits the fan, if you know what I mean.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, i think I'd give you half what I make banging oil changes out per hour for those services :psyduck:

In emo bitch news Just clicked in the next couple weeks im going to have to handle thanksgiving, christmas, my birthday, her birthday, our year anniversary, and her stuff getting moved out on my own. Maybe new years will be better.

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

line gets a little blurrier when poo poo hits the fan, if you know what I mean.

When I was still running ems, I worked with a few basics who were national guard medics and some who were paramedic students.

If said partner was competent, and the situation warranted it, I may or may not have personally performed every single ALS level procedure attributed to me in my documentation.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Oh god, now basement children can turn their cats into kawaii sex objects with their camera :catstare:

Technology has, officially, gone too far....

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

The only thing I object to about that is salt and rust. I think I need to move to Alaska or Montana, pretty sure it's too cold for salt there or they just prefer sand/gravel.
You'd think that, but while I don't know about either of those places, the western Canadian provinces that border those states still like to put salt down. "Too cold for salt" certainly happens, but by the time it hits those temperatures we've already had a month or more of "cold enough for ice, not too cold for salt. SALT FOR THE SALT GOD!"

The rust monster stalks close by around here.

EDIT: seriously, this city announced expanded snow-removal and winter-conditions services as the first flakes were falling a week-and-a-half ago, which included some good stuff (more attention paid to obvious trouble spots like bridges) and some WTF, including a promise to get out there with the brine even faster. Not solid salt dusted out the back of a gravel/sand/salt spreader, but liquid loving brine to spread evenly on the road and your car's chassis and suspension! Huzzah!

ED2: what is it with me and their/there/they're these days?

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 19, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
In the general case, if a state doesn't put down salt, it's because they can't afford salt. Gravel is way more expensive, and it's what we used before everyone moved in from out East and caused us to double our road network overnight.

Also, yeah, holy gently caress. I was driving in what I thought was slush last night. It was a solid stream of salt.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
So the focus I was meant to be having was crushed... So its a Golf now. 1.6 petrol in red :/ it will do. 2000 I think so older shape.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So my mom saw a deal to have a/c and dryer ducts cleaned and decided to do it because????reasons????? (it's not like it was clogged or smelling funny, everything was fine as far as I could tell, but they supposedly found :airquote:mold:airquote:, which they cleaned out with a power snake of some variety), and I suspect they hosed something out because now the heater doesn't work... just in time for the cold front that rolled through bringing 40 degree lows. At first I thought it was a blown fuse, which I had to run to the store to get because my supplies do not include 3 amp fuses; now the burner comes on, but the blower motor doesn't engage, which obviously trips the overheat switches when the heat exchanger gets too hot cause there's no cold air coming through it. I'm at the limit of my diagnostic ability, which means yet another service call (it's like the 5th time they've been out since installing the whole new system last April) for yet another $100 minimum. And now I find out she's leaving to be with her sister to recover from a relatively minor surgery, which I didn't know and told the company she'd be home all night, which matters since I've got class and have to leave by 6.

Point is everything was fine, she does something on a whim to improve it, and now we're spending at least $200 that wasn't necessary at all. And during all this, she's still bitching at me for buying big water bottles for $1.75, because I'm the one who's wasting our money.

And I still can't find a loving job.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

her stuff getting moved out on my own.

5 gallons of gasoline goes quite far for disposing of the exes belongings. be sure to get video.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Yeah, i think I'd give you half what I make banging oil changes out per hour for those services :psyduck:

In emo bitch news Just clicked in the next couple weeks im going to have to handle thanksgiving, christmas, my birthday, her birthday, our year anniversary, and her stuff getting moved out on my own. Maybe new years will be better.

Rent a small storage unit, mover her stuff into it, and mail her mother the key and the bill.

Problem solved

cursedshitbox posted:

5 gallons of gasoline goes quite far for disposing of the exes belongings. be sure to get video.

Or this. Storage in compact carbon dense units.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Fucknag posted:

So my mom saw a deal to have a/c and dryer ducts cleaned and decided to do it because????reasons????? (it's not like it was clogged or smelling funny, everything was fine as far as I could tell, but they supposedly found :airquote:mold:airquote:, which they cleaned out with a power snake of some variety), and I suspect they hosed something out because now the heater doesn't work... just in time for the cold front that rolled through bringing 40 degree lows. At first I thought it was a blown fuse, which I had to run to the store to get because my supplies do not include 3 amp fuses; now the burner comes on, but the blower motor doesn't engage, which obviously trips the overheat switches when the heat exchanger gets too hot cause there's no cold air coming through it. I'm at the limit of my diagnostic ability, which means yet another service call (it's like the 5th time they've been out since installing the whole new system last April) for yet another $100 minimum. And now I find out she's leaving to be with her sister to recover from a relatively minor surgery, which I didn't know and told the company she'd be home all night, which matters since I've got class and have to leave by 6.

Point is everything was fine, she does something on a whim to improve it, and now we're spending at least $200 that wasn't necessary at all. And during all this, she's still bitching at me for buying big water bottles for $1.75, because I'm the one who's wasting our money.

And I still can't find a loving job.

Move the gently caress out of Florida. Sorry.

If I had space up here I'd be more than willing to put a roof over your head for a couple months at least, but sadly "a roof" is about all I can guarantee. Heat, floors, walls, windows, etc not really included.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Move the gently caress out of Florida. Sorry.

If I had space up here I'd be more than willing to put a roof over your head for a couple months at least, but sadly "a roof" is about all I can guarantee. Heat, floors, walls, windows, etc not really included.

His job can be putting up walls before he freezes to death.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Don't Starve! IRL edition

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

Fucknag posted:

I'm at the limit of my diagnostic ability, which means yet another service call

Does the blower not come on even when the high limit kicks and cuts out the burner?

I do HVAC work. If you shoot me a pm with the make and model I might be able to walk you through some things.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Thelonious posted:

Does the blower not come on even when the high limit kicks and cuts out the burner?

I do HVAC work. If you shoot me a pm with the make and model I might be able to walk you through some things.

Is that open to those of us that aren't currently in crisis mode? I've got a ~11 year old Trane that probably needs some PM (I know that when I had it inspected 7 years ago, the tech sanded the igniter and said that it wouldn't make it much longer... I'd like to buy one of those and any other spares I should have on-hand in case of failure)...

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

First question is, how the hell do you only get paid 9.60 to do that? Second question is, is that seriously the going rate in your part of the world for doing that line of work? If so, that's loving ridiculous and/or I hope the cost of living is at least proportional such as you can afford a descent house. If not, back to first question.

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010

keykey posted:

First question is, how the hell do you only get paid 9.60 to do that? Second question is, is that seriously the going rate in your part of the world for doing that line of work? If so, that's loving ridiculous and/or I hope the cost of living is at least proportional such as you can afford a descent house. If not, back to first question.

Hahahahah you're not from 'round here are you? Welcome to the US and it's "best healthcare system in the world." There are people who think it's drat near heresy to pay people proportionally to their productivity.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SierraEchoBravo posted:

There are people who think it's drat near heresy to pay people proportionally to their productivity.

These are the same people who think that the reason poor people are poor is because they don't work hard enough, ironically.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Don't forget to tip your waiters, delivery drivers and EMTs

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Yeah, wages in the states are hosed up in a major way. I'm still amazed that the Arkansas minimum wage increase passed, we're bumping it up to $8.25/hr by 2016. In a few more years it might get to a livable amount! :v:

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
My tinder exploits have been few and far in-between lately because I've been busy. Doing what, I don't know, but I sure haven't had the time or desire to pick up my phone and reject men based solely on their appearance.

This, however... he is asking some questions that he might not like the answer to.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Time to show him.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I just checked to see what our local EMT wages were and they are also only $9.50. How the good goddamn is that even possible since a ride in an ambulance cost 1k? My wife had to take one and that was on the itemized cost list from insurance. Mind you, that was the negotiated down price after insurance was involved and the dust had settled.

edit:

FREAK 'DAT BITCH OUT!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Booty full? I usually find your tinder stuff tiresome but that guy has to messed with.

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010
Haha booty-full. Is that a lame pick up line or a tragic autocorrect mistake? Paying for the former because it makes me feel much better about myself.

I also wish I had time to have a social life, but talking to people on the phone all day who make 10x more per hour then I do takes priority.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

goatse guy posted:

My tinder exploits have been few and far in-between lately because I've been busy. Doing what, I don't know, but I sure haven't had the time or desire to pick up my phone and reject men based solely on their appearance.

This, however... he is asking some questions that he might not like the answer to.

I imagine you going into detail answering his question and can only picture it going something like this.

dooooo ittttttt

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

SierraEchoBravo posted:

Haha booty-full. Is that a lame pick up line or a tragic autocorrect mistake? Paying for the former because it makes me feel much better about myself.

It is a pickup line, because he has mentioned at least three times that he likes redheads with big asses.

The Midniter posted:

I imagine you going into detail answering his question and can only picture it going something like this.

dooooo ittttttt

"Well, it all started when my parents got divorced when I was in first grade...

...three hours later...

...and that's why I'm afraid of commitment and don't believe that I'm deserving of love!"

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

keykey posted:

Going rate in the US is around 14 to 18 for EMTs, but here in Phoenix (and Arizona) most ambulance services are privatized. And by privatized, I mean owned by ONE company, Rural/Metro.

FREE MARKET

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

goatse guy posted:

It is a pickup line, because he has mentioned at least three times that he likes redheads with big asses.

While I can echo his feelings, why do guys feel like that is an appropriate pickup line :psyduck:

Pretty sure my wife would have kicked my rear end had I approached her this way when I met her.

Geirskogul posted:

FREE MARKET

FOR PROFIT HEALTHCARE!

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 19, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well if you don't let the women know that you're evaluating them as a mate first and foremost, how will their instincts kick in and make them recognize your male dominance, turning on that estrogen flood etc etc

:biotruths:

to be clear, I do not actually believe this

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I thought the whole point of tinder was finding fuckbuddies? No need to be coy about it, if you end up hooking up again because you get on, bonus.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

While I can echo his feelings, why do guys feel like that is an appropriate pickup line :psyduck:
Because it's Tinder?

Cakefool posted:

I thought the whole point of tinder was finding fuckbuddies? No need to be coy about it, if you end up hooking up again because you get on, bonus.
Yep, this.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
I changed my biography again. "Everyone says it's their niece or nephew in the picture. Where are all my DILFs at?"

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
"Then I'm not your girl. The surgery isn't that advanced yet :("

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

gently caress. Yes. Welcome back, goatse

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I cant get tinder to work for sms verification errors no matter what resets or workarounds online Ive found

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

CommieGIR posted:

What year and model?
2000 Golf TDI 4-door sitting at 248k

New stuff at work means very little time for SA or anything. On the upside I'm never sitting there bored and the day goes drat fast.

Think I'm test driving an e30 Friday or Saturday. Dad told me to buy it and if I get bored he'll but it for what I paid...he's a great influence.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

keykey posted:

I was making like $13.50 or so as an EMT-D nearly 20 years ago in eastern PA. $9.60 is criminally low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

2000 Golf TDI 4-door sitting at 248k

New stuff at work means very little time for SA or anything. On the upside I'm never sitting there bored and the day goes drat fast.

Think I'm test driving an e30 Friday or Saturday. Dad told me to buy it and if I get bored he'll but it for what I paid...he's a great influence.

Injector nozzles are a cheap and rewarding upgrade. You can do it yourself too if you are daring.

• Locked thread