Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Korgan posted:

:gowron:

That thread is going to get deleted shortly, I just dropped in the tale of Aotc copping a 24 hour ban for asking for help with our community event.

It's fun interacting with Branflakes the pubbie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

DonDoodles posted:

Wasn't present for the courtroom drama, but did receive this in my inbox:

I believe this was sent to me just prior to the courtroom stuff? Three messages over the course of a half hour, completely unprovoked.

You should report that

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

DonDoodles posted:

Wasn't present for the courtroom drama, but did receive this in my inbox:

I believe this was sent to me just prior to the courtroom stuff? Three messages over the course of a half hour, completely unprovoked.

Yeah, he decided after seeing how 'evil' mysteena was that he'd had enough and wouldn't be pursuing any vendetta against us to 'save' him.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Is there any good way to mass delete mail after selling two dozen things on the exchange and getting all those separate notifications?

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
AHK and a bathroom break, maybe?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Roadie posted:

Is there any good way to mass delete mail after selling two dozen things on the exchange and getting all those separate notifications?
Nope.

And you have to delete them. After a few hundred build up the whole UI starts to lag horribly. :suicide:

Furiously
Jan 4, 2014

...and Furiously as The Beagle.
You used to have to go to neverwinter to delete your sto mails.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

The one thing I miss the most from the original STO forums was the ability to quickly and easily managed your in-game mails via the website. RIP convenience.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Furiously posted:

You used to have to go to neverwinter to delete your sto mails.

Now that's cross-pollination!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Asimo posted:

Nope.

And you have to delete them. After a few hundred build up the whole UI starts to lag horribly. :suicide:

And IIRC, after 500 you can no longer get mails.

Anyway, the trick is to line up the UI windows so the 'confirm' button is right over the 'delete' button, then start mashing leftclick.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Aleth posted:

Yeah, he decided after seeing how 'evil' mysteena was that he'd had enough and wouldn't be pursuing any vendetta against us to 'save' him.

We should make a youtube channel, do a spoof like Reno911 where we randomly go into one of these guilds and then document all their pathetic white knight & sadistic cybering. It'd be bigger than Pewdiepie.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Doctor Schnabel posted:

So I just registered on the shutup wesley wiki. If anyone wants to grant access, my username there is DocSchnabel.

I goof off with this game for a month or so every year and change, but I never last because fed ships look boring and klink ships gross me out. Maybe space elves will do something for me this time around.

You're in.

Wyatt Derp
Jul 9, 2014

Blue Lives matter
Have you guys ever had the problem of your STO instillation disappearing?
I logged into the launcher the other day and it began downloading the entire 15gb's again!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ms Andry posted:

Have you guys ever had the problem of your STO instillation disappearing?
I logged into the launcher the other day and it began downloading the entire 15gb's again!

Did you accidentally change the install folder or something? Or have it changed on you by Steam or Arc defaulting something? That's the only reason I can think of.

You can always cancel it and point it back to your original one. Should this not be remotely related to why it decided to re-install then I'm just going to :shrug:

Wyatt Derp
Jul 9, 2014

Blue Lives matter
I didn't even think about that. I'll check Steam. that makes sense

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So I just did a mirror universe thing. I was wondering why we had so few rifts closed by the five minute mark so I started actually paying attention to the team status things on the left.

One team member had sixteen ship injuries.

Another team member never used any self-buffs at all the entire time.

:cry:

Edit: "Team" is literally the worst name for groups of spaceships in the history of stuff.

Berke Negri posted:

There was never a chance Voyager was going to be good.

Space gangs could have maybe been kind of interesting as a social commentary if they'd actually been space gangs, not just stupid nomad raider dudes.

Like, have Space Degenerate Stand-In America with shiny fleets of ships at its borders that's nominally friendly but with Space Gangs roaming the Space Inner Urban Centers because the Space Rich have all moved to the Space Suburbs and don't give a poo poo about the Space Poors, and the Space Gangs see Voyager as a Space Rich Tourist in a fancy Space Armored Car they want to Space Carjack.

There, now you have space gangs, plus you can have a background plotline with Voyager taking a Space Road Trip across Space Degenerate Stand-In America so you can have some sense of spatial progress across a set of episodes without just pushing the "that super warp gate accelerated them to plaid and they traveled 89,321 light years" button.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Nov 19, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Personally I think Voyager should've structured like Buffy, with a single new region of space and baddie each season, building to a conclusion.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Janeway leaping around, putting self-sealing stakes in borg while wrestling with her feelings for Chakotay, would have been pretty entertaining too.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

One team member had sixteen ship injuries.

I see a lot of people at times with a lot of injuries. Now, laziness and 'I can win regardless, why bother' is one thing. Especially if it doesn't affect you(Projectile weapon damage on a science ship that is all beams plus Kinetic Cutter='why bother'). Even so, surely you must eventually want to get rid of all these nuisances?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I'm at the end of season 5 for Voyager and while the actors aren't terrible and many of the stories have good moments, I think it's the disjointedness of the series that bothers me. The writing isn't horrible, but it sort of lurches from one thing to another which causes a big feeling of "meh" in the series. None of the actors or characters are good enough to overcome that weakness in plot and writing. I also noticed a bunch of errors that I think contribute to the "meh" feeling. One episode Paris gets demoted to Ensign for violating the prime directive and just one episode away (forward or backward, I can't remember) Janeway violates the prime directive. Then there's the Malon (sp?) with their garbage truck ships. Janeway & Co. offer technology to eliminate the need to dump toxic waste all over the place and are refused because some guy doesn't want to lose his waste hauling business. Then, several episodes later, they encounter another Malon garbage truck and the one of the garbagemen say how it's such a noble calling despite getting radiation sickness or whatever and it's like Janeway & Co. completely forgot about the technology that would eliminate the need for radiation soaked garbagemen. DS9 didn't have any of these glaring errors that I could pick up.

As for STO and the Borg, I've always been fascinated by the concepts of cyborgs since I was a kid and gravitated toward the old school ones with exoskeletons, etc. The two types of Borg I found intriguing were the stock, original Borg, with their lock-step hive mind and the disconnected, individualistic Borg of the Hugh variety in TNG where they kept all their implants, etc. but were individuals. I never liked the concept of the Borg queen, I thought it took something away from the concept of the Borg.

I would love to play STO as some sort of Borg character, but I'm not dropping $200 to play some Borg in a starfleet uniform and missing an eye.

Ok, enough :goonsay:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Bloodly posted:

I see a lot of people at times with a lot of injuries. Now, laziness and 'I can win regardless, why bother' is one thing. Especially if it doesn't affect you(Projectile weapon damage on a science ship that is all beams plus Kinetic Cutter='why bother'). Even so, surely you must eventually want to get rid of all these nuisances?

I am inspired to go get my dkora blown up zillions of times and then join STFs.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
I always liked the idea of the Borg queen in concept, but the execution always fell flat.

An individual mind still linked and at the will of the collective, like an ambassador or something. It would fit in more of a "Borg know that Starfleet and the Alpha Quadrant will eventually win, create an individual drone to serve as a single voice for the collective to negotiate."

While that's not very Borg from what we saw in the show, they're whole thing is adaption, if the old strategy of military attacks keep failing, time to adapt your goals and methods.

That said, the Borg queen is dumb and should stop existing.

Furiously
Jan 4, 2014

...and Furiously as The Beagle.

MoraleHazard posted:

I'm at the end of season 5 for Voyager and while the actors aren't terrible and many of the stories have good moments, I think it's the disjointedness of the series that bothers me. The writing isn't horrible, but it sort of lurches from one thing to another which causes a big feeling of "meh" in the series. None of the actors or characters are good enough to overcome that weakness in plot and writing. I also noticed a bunch of errors that I think contribute to the "meh" feeling. One episode Paris gets demoted to Ensign for violating the prime directive and just one episode away (forward or backward, I can't remember) Janeway violates the prime directive. Then there's the Malon (sp?) with their garbage truck ships. Janeway & Co. offer technology to eliminate the need to dump toxic waste all over the place and are refused because some guy doesn't want to lose his waste hauling business. Then, several episodes later, they encounter another Malon garbage truck and the one of the garbagemen say how it's such a noble calling despite getting radiation sickness or whatever and it's like Janeway & Co. completely forgot about the technology that would eliminate the need for radiation soaked garbagemen. DS9 didn't have any of these glaring errors that I could pick up.

As for STO and the Borg, I've always been fascinated by the concepts of cyborgs since I was a kid and gravitated toward the old school ones with exoskeletons, etc. The two types of Borg I found intriguing were the stock, original Borg, with their lock-step hive mind and the disconnected, individualistic Borg of the Hugh variety in TNG where they kept all their implants, etc. but were individuals. I never liked the concept of the Borg queen, I thought it took something away from the concept of the Borg.

I would love to play STO as some sort of Borg character, but I'm not dropping $200 to play some Borg in a starfleet uniform and missing an eye.

Ok, enough :goonsay:

My problem with voyages is that Janeway was phoned in, and every third episode never happened due to time travel.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

What are the best go to doffs for contra farming? Like if I just want to roll an alt and plop them in a t1 BoP in Eti Eridani what should I pick up cheap in bulk so I can just queue up a bunch of marauding missions a day?

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012
You'll want a couple of sets of the following: 1 Purple Tactical/Security with the Aggressive trait, and 2 Blue of the same. These are for the more common 45 minute assignments, and this will give you 0% chance of failure.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Berke Negri posted:

What are the best go to doffs for contra farming? Like if I just want to roll an alt and plop them in a t1 BoP in Eti Eridani what should I pick up cheap in bulk so I can just queue up a bunch of marauding missions a day?

You want at least 5 energy weapon/projectile doffs and 5 tractor doffs for hitting freighters (don't bother with Vulcan freighters they don't drop contra). Everything else just requires tacs or security. Get green qulaity or better, whites will die in droves if you send them marauding. You may also want a couple sets of conn/sensor/astrometrics for the track [faction] fleet movements mission under espionage, those give contra on a crit. Also grab a couple of quartermasters and technicians for the colony chains and hit up aefir, kazahn and arcanis arm.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

I can't source it, but I once heard that they didn't actually have a proper series bible. Leaving the writers to fly by the seat of their pants would help to explain the irregular characterization, spotty memories and awkward flirtation with continuity.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

hakimashou posted:

I am inspired to go get my dkora blown up zillions of times and then join STFs.

We already have a Dental STF group that only runs pugs. Minimum ten injuries. Join us!

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime

Technical Analysis posted:

I always liked the idea of the Borg queen in concept, but the execution always fell flat.

An individual mind still linked and at the will of the collective, like an ambassador or something. It would fit in more of a "Borg know that Starfleet and the Alpha Quadrant will eventually win, create an individual drone to serve as a single voice for the collective to negotiate."

While that's not very Borg from what we saw in the show, they're whole thing is adaption, if the old strategy of military attacks keep failing, time to adapt your goals and methods.

That said, the Borg queen is dumb and should stop existing.

This was what Locutus was - that name is "speaker" in latin; a single member of the collective designated as a single voice to interact with an individualistic race (not necessarily the first time they've done that).

The TNG movies and Voyager butchered the Borg not by just making them technologically weaker, but by fundamentally misunderstanding their concept - they're not a "hive", they're a "hive MIND". They aren't mindless ants ordered around by a queen, they all share a consciousness with the combined intellect of thousands (billions?) of minds communicating in concert. The scary thing about the Borg isn't that they are ceaseless zombies you can hit over the head one at a time (loss of individuality strictly as a weakness), it's that the loss of individuality comes with an extreme advantage and makes them more intelligent and dangerous. Picard turning off the queen and then the drones stumble around hilariously like a Three Stooges sketch was the beginning of the end of any writer "getting" the original concept.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Lagomorphic posted:

You want at least 5 energy weapon/projectile doffs and 5 tractor doffs for hitting freighters (don't bother with Vulcan freighters they don't drop contra). Everything else just requires tacs or security. Get green qulaity or better, whites will die in droves if you send them marauding. You may also want a couple sets of conn/sensor/astrometrics for the track [faction] fleet movements mission under espionage, those give contra on a crit. Also grab a couple of quartermasters and technicians for the colony chains and hit up aefir, kazahn and arcanis arm.

Thanks, you and Frosty. I never got a real contra farming operation going because it is really impractical for making dil with my schedule. But it seems now with foundry farming being nerfed the best way to make EC.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MjolnirMan posted:

This was what Locutus was - that name is "speaker" in latin; a single member of the collective designated as a single voice to interact with an individualistic race (not necessarily the first time they've done that).

The TNG movies and Voyager butchered the Borg not by just making them technologically weaker, but by fundamentally misunderstanding their concept - they're not a "hive", they're a "hive MIND". They aren't mindless ants ordered around by a queen, they all share a consciousness with the combined intellect of thousands (billions?) of minds communicating in concert. The scary thing about the Borg isn't that they are ceaseless zombies you can hit over the head one at a time (loss of individuality strictly as a weakness), it's that the loss of individuality comes with an extreme advantage and makes them more intelligent and dangerous. Picard turning off the queen and then the drones stumble around hilariously like a Three Stooges sketch was the beginning of the end of any writer "getting" the original concept.
On some level, I can't really blame the writers for doing that. The Borg as originally written were a big threat, but almost more an environmental hazard than characters you could interact with, and that doesn't make for good television. Not to mention the fact that if even the writers couldn't get what a hive mind was then you probably couldn't expect the TV watching audience to follow either...

The real problem is that the Borg were defined by being massive, dangerous, unstoppable threats... which works until they're stopped. And every subsequent appearance means that the Borg have to lose hard, since if they didn't it would mean the end of the series. You can kind of get away from this by emphasizing that it was a victory with cost and consequences, like TNG did with Family, but Voyager lacked the writing competence continuity to get away with that. And when you're having them show up every other week and the protagonists are winning trivial victories, whelp, it doesn't take long to make them a joke.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Imagine a Voyager where all the commanding officers die when the caretaker takes the ship. Maybe make Paris the Captain (everyone would know he is just out of prison, but he is the highest rank). They would have to figure out the command structure, maybe make the rules a lot less structured, the maquis wouldn't have just fallen in line, etc.

It would have been a hell of a hook to set it up like "these are going to be the main characters, the bridge crew" and they all just die at the end of the first half of a double episode.

That sounds a hell of a lot more interesting to me than "trying to be the next TNG but failing hard" that Voyager is, and it took me like 5 seconds to think up.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Voyager could have literally been TNG 2: Now With Female Captain, and while incredibly lazy still been better than actual Voyager. What is depressing about Voyager was while it was a big change in direction for the series the show runners themselves lacked the conviction or confidence (inspiration?) to stick to that.

The same people that are going "what if we make this about gangs in space and a commentary of our own times with a fish out of water federation and crew" are the very same people telling the cast "don't display emotion, starfleet officers don't display emotion". A good example of creatively trying to punch way above their weight. Usually I applaud series trying to take a different approach but with Voyager maybe it'd been better if they hadn't tried.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Returning Voyager to the Alpha Quadrant and just doing TNG 2 was apparently something they kept strongly considering starting with Season 2.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I was always under the impression that the Borg Queen wasn't a self aware leader as such for the collective, she was an avatar of the hive mind. Instead of a disembodied cacophony of voices speaking to you, you got the queen instead.

Of course she didn't really act like you'd expect a hive mind to act, but then again it wouldn't have made for a very interesting film.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Part 2 of the Thol puppetmaster series of chatlogs is up on the wiki. In todays episode we have a surprise revelation that may be of interest to dear leader.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Defiance Industries posted:

Returning Voyager to the Alpha Quadrant and just doing TNG 2 was apparently something they kept strongly considering starting with Season 2.

I would have watched and enjoyed that, if Janeway had been more consistent and less bipolar, it would have been kinda fun.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Asimo posted:

On some level, I can't really blame the writers for doing that. The Borg as originally written were a big threat, but almost more an environmental hazard than characters you could interact with, and that doesn't make for good television. Not to mention the fact that if even the writers couldn't get what a hive mind was then you probably couldn't expect the TV watching audience to follow either...

The real problem is that the Borg were defined by being massive, dangerous, unstoppable threats... which works until they're stopped. And every subsequent appearance means that the Borg have to lose hard, since if they didn't it would mean the end of the series. You can kind of get away from this by emphasizing that it was a victory with cost and consequences, like TNG did with Family, but Voyager lacked the writing competence continuity to get away with that. And when you're having them show up every other week and the protagonists are winning trivial victories, whelp, it doesn't take long to make them a joke.

Yeah on TNG they were smart enough that after the big confrontation in Best of Both Worlds they don't ever run up against the collective again. The Borg plots after that all have to do with rouge Borg splintered off from the collective. They don't come back in force until First Contact and latter Voyager, by then stupid people were firmly in control of the franchise.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Aw man, what is this poo poo? They wiped out all the low-effort dil farms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Aw man, what is this poo poo? They wiped out all the low-effort dil farms?

Nah, they upped the Voth battlezone by 50%.

Still the best ground in the game.

• Locked thread