Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Would anyone here know who Logy's English voice actor is? I can't seem to find who he is anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord that last scene with Escha. They are just jamming the "pastoral" button as hard as they can.

Also I love that little scene with the homonculi. Stories are like candy for brains!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Food for thought I suppose.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XV: The Shining Swords and Staves

Clone always makes the best snacks! Anyway, I should probably get back to the atelier. Maybe Solle is feeling better now.

Really? It's going to be even cheaper than usual?

C'mon, we've been friends for a long time now, Escha.

You're always so random...

What are you doing here, Escha?

No. I have no plans on buying anything. Marion has forbidden me to waste money.

Ahaha. Marion sounds like she'd be a strict money manager.

Hahaha, all right. It's a merchant's place ot subtly persuade her clients. Be honest, what is the thing you desire most!?

I don't think that asking someone straight-out counts as "subtle".

What do I want most...? I think my most urgent need is friends.

I-I see... Friends, huh? You sure are searching for something strange.

That's my mission. What can I do to gain a large number of them?

I told you, I don't think that's the real meaning of the assignment she gave you... (Or did I just think that...?)

Just leave it to me! First, I will become your friend!

Really? I'm thankful, but... Do you really want to be friends with someone like me?

Don't worry. In fact, there are many benefits to being my friend! You get my special friend discount!

You mentioned that before...

Your wares will be cheaper? That would be nice. Please, be my friend!

Happily! Anyway, please buy something. Think of it as helping a friend.

All right, perhaps I should start making purchases from your shop in the future.

What? Aren't you going to get anything today?

I don't need anything, so I'm fine. I need to avoid wasting money.

Ugh, even after I became your friend? You must have nerves of steel...

To think that I could make shopping even more convenient... Escha, I see that friends can have benefits. I believe I need to make more friends with shopkeepers.

That sounds like a pain for the shop owners... You should make friends a little more normally.

Is that so...? I thought it was a good idea. What a shame. Anyway, I stayed much longer in here than I'd planned to. I have to return to my patrol.

You really are too random... Don't teach Linca any weird things.

I would have wanted to clean a little and take a nap, but...

I already received Escha's permission to be here, if that's what you're getting at.

But you didn't bother to ask me? Don't you have your own office?

I do. It is very small, though.

Why do you insist on doing your work here? Wouldn't you feel more comfortable in your office?

I wouldn't dream of it. Besides, it's so messy. I can barely walk around in there. Don't joke around.

Uh... It IS your office, though, isn't it?

That office is a trash can, a file cabinet, and a bed. Nothing more, and nothing less. Besides, the desk is so covered with paperwork that I don't have the space to write anything.

How can you possibly justify it being nothing but the furniture?

When you get so caught up in your work, you can't find the time for cleaning. By the time you realize that you need to start cleaning up, it's far too late to do anything about it.

It must be really messy in there. Have you thought about just taking a day and cleaning?

Of course I did...once. But when I was about to, one of my stacks fell over. Since then, it just seemed like a bad idea to even bother cleaning, so I've been leaving it alone.

If it's as bad as you're saying, I guess I'd do everything I can to avoid it, too.

I suppose so... She does clean up a bit, which has been great.

I'm jealous. I feel that being able to stay organized and uncluttered is a valuable trait. How about you?

...I'm starting to think that it's more than you're just very disorganized and lazy.

I won't deny that... Cleaning is such a chore. I think it would be harder to find someone who actually enjoys, cleaning. Or... Do YOU like it?

I wouldn't say I like cleaning, but I don't hate it. I do take the time to clean from time to time.

Hm. Cleaning in moderation... Perhaps I should try to do that sometime.

I highly recommend it. For the sake of your own work, and for everyone else's sakes...

But, if I made a mess here, one of you would clean it up... Is it worth my time to clean my office?

Don't even start down that path. Go clean your room! Why do I have to talk like Threia's mother? She's exhausting... I need to get some air. Escha will probably be back soon, anyway. I'll just head down to Duke's and get something to eat before she comes back.

Oh, hey Escha.

Hello, Logy! What are you doing here?

Oh, Threia stopped by the atelier to do some reading. She was using the couch, so I couldn't get any sleep, and I just find it hard to work with her around. She stayed for a few hours, then left. Did you tell her she could use the atelier to read?

Yeah. She said she wanted a place to read outside her office, and I said the atelier would be perfect.

Oh, I see. (Just like Escha to suggest something like that.)

Is something on your mind?

Hmm? Yeah, I was just a little short on cash, I was thinking about what to do for food...

Say, Reyfer, you're a treasure hunter, right? And you're good at it? You've mentioned having no money before, too. Have you ever actually found a treasure?

Oh, tossin' a dagger straight at my heart! I hate to disappoint you, but you're wrong. Before I came to this town, I sold a big enough treasure to buy a house here. Harry can vouch for me on that, and on my treasure findin' abilities.

Wow, really? So rare items make you a lot of money, huh?

Now, hold on. If you've got that much money, how is it you're always trying to make ends meet?

I'm not poor, I just don't believe in spending any money when it's not absolutely necessary. You never know when hard times are comin'... Gotta save every penny you can, right?

I see what you mean, but isn't it hard to live like that?

Yeah. If I lived up on a mountain, it might be different. But in a city, you have to watch your money. I was thinking about eating, but... I guess I'll settle for water.

Isn't that a bit extreme? You could order something cheap off the menu. Why stress over it so much?

Hey, I was once trapped inside a ruin for three days, and survived with no food or water at all.

You push yourself too hard. What are going to do with all that money when you save it up?

Oh, nothin' fancy... By the way, what are you having for dinner? Do you think I might try a bite of it? Just to see...

That's just cold, man. C'mon, you said you want to help people, right?

I don't mind helping people, but you're just too cheap to pay for your own meals.

Cheap? Me? Cheap...!? W-Well, okay, maybe I can't deny it.

There's nothing to deny. It's the truth.

Hey Logy, do you not like Reyfer?

Hmm...I wouldn't say I don't like him, it's just his type kind of annoys me. He's very talented and resourceful, but he needs to realize that he needs to do real work and help people if he wants to be taken seriously. He's also too cheap, I think.

Hm, but treasure hunting sounds so exciting. I wish we had more time for things like that... Anyway, should we head back to the branch?

Oh yeah, with what happened with Threia, I forgot to submit the documentation for the stipend.

Hey, Lucille. You take rest?

Oh, hello there. Are you two taking a break, too?

Break... Yes. Let's talk.

That's a great idea. What would you like to talk about today?

Something fun. You have something fun?

Something fun, huh? Hmm...what would be good?

Oh, Lucille, what are you doing over there?

The homunculi like to come over here when they're on break, so I talk to them.

Wait, THEY come to YOU? That's unusual.

There are all kinds of homunculi, and their stories are really interesting. Would the two of you care to join us?

I-I'm okay. I think I'll pass.

Do they still bother you, Logy? Look at how cute they are!

All you have to do is make sure you use simple words to get your ideas across. They'll understand you.

...That's what's so hard about it.

I'm amazed you can talk with them so much, Lucille. Maybe we'll have you go to Provisions for us.

Ooh, please! I'm really good at that kind of thing! Let me do it!

Lucille? Where story?

Story, Lucille. Story. Now?

O-Oh, I'm sorry. Um... What was I going to say...

I don't mind you talking to the homunculi, but have you finished your own work yet?

Eek! That's right, I'm still in the middle of it. What should I do...?

Hahaha! We'll take care of the little guys for you. Go on and finish up!

Oooh... I'm sorry, Miss Escha.

...Now I have to talk to them, too? What the heck am I supposed to talk about?

Escha... We have our own work to do...

I know, I know... Um...why don't you go on ahead? I'll be back soon! i want to talk to the homunculi!

No, we really need to get to work!

I wouldn't call them insane! Anyway, wouldn't it be more convenient to do it this way?

Nonetheless...

Hm? What are you two talking about?

Ah, perfect timing. Would you mind talking some sense into this man?

Right... What exactly seems to be the problem here?

Awin has just submitted an unapproved budget schedule to me. It's to renovate the entire air depot and modify it. This plan lacks any sense of reality!

The depot...? Why would you want to do that all of a sudden?

The R&D Division's been using that blimp a lot lately. It'd be a good chance to redo the whole port. A loading area, dedicated wagons, bridges to other gates...and a facility for Maintenance workshops!

Wait a second! You're trying to do ALL of these changes at once!?

I-It does sound a bit tempting, but don't you think the scope is way too large?

Sure, it'll take a bit of work, but this isn't an issue of money. Sure, investigating ruins and stuff is important, but we can't forget trying to make this town better!

Money is probably the MOST important factor now. Have you any idea how much this would all cost? I do not deny the importance of renovating the depot, but there are tons of other areas to address.

I'll take care of those! C'mon, now... We go way back, don't we?

Well, maybe you don't have to do it all at once? Can you split the project up into bite-sized chunks?

I thought about that, too, but I've been trying to get Solle on board with this project for years now. ...Which is why I figured he'd give me something resembling a budget by now, but not a chance.

I see... That's why you attempted to make a schedule for completing all the work at once.

...There are many other issues that have higher priority. My hands are tied.

You always tell me that!

No! What you failed to understand is--

Ahhh... At this rate, they're going to get into a real fight. Wh-What should we do? U-Umm, Solle... I'm sorry. We'll try to talk to Awin, so--

Please do! I don't have time to explain the same concepts over and over to him!

Please excuse us. Let's go, Awin. There's no point in picking a fight here. Go cool off a little bit, and let's think about this. There has to be another way.

W-Well, if you say so.

Logy, can you talk to Brother? He seems really serious about this, and I'm worried he might start with the project by himself. Solle says the approval request is okay, so we'll definitely get paid tomorrow.

Yeah, knowing Awin, he might do something by himself. What are you going to do?

Hm, I'm going to start putting together a list of things I want to make before we head to the Homunculus Village. I asked the homunculi outside before I left, but it looks like all the homunculi managed to get away, but we still have to get rid of the monsters!

Wait... Is this about that project that Solle shot down?

Yeah! I'm thinking about how to get Solle to understand.

I know how you must feel, but is it even possible to convince that guy?

C'mon, we can't give up this easily. I'm sure the ancient people never gave up easily! That's probably how they got such advanced technology! For the sake of our own livelihoods, I intend to convince him!

That's a good speech, but what exactly are you planning on doing?

That's where I'm stuck, really. Y'know, he's always like that, ever since the old days. No matter what I suggested, he'd just reject it and hide behind "Money". He just...lacks dreams, man. You know what I mean?

I know what you're trying to say, but he's a realist. I can't deny that finances are important, too.

Urgh... At the very least, if I could make my plans seem a little more "realistic" in his eyes.

How about making a diagram that shows everything you're attempting to do? A quick rundown...

A diagram...? Do you think I really need something like that?

Maybe if he had more visual clues, we could convince him to take on the project stage by stage.

I see... I hadn't thought about that. Right, let's draft something really simple and see how he reacts. Can I ask for your advice, Logy?

...I-I guess, just a little bit.

It's beginning to take shape, but I'll need to get the materials to make this pulley, at the least. With this much ammo to our argument, I think we could convince Solle, don't you?

I suppose so. We'll help you get to that point, at least, okay?

Really? Oh man, you're a lifesaver. Could you share some of your materials? You know, after all you said, here you are helping me out quite a bit... Are you sure you don't want to take a bigger hand in renovating the city? ...Maybe join Maintenance?

...Drop it. I'll have to get back to Awin later. I have more important things to do right now. Besides, the quality of the materials will be important, and I have to inspect what can be used.

Escha, I'm back.

Oh, hello Logy. I just finished making some Beast Earmuffs. Did you pick up our stipend?

Th-That's incredible!

Yeah, I thought you would be happy.

I have more good news! I think I'm ready to try Perfect Division! By using four Wind elements, I can perfectly imitate an item's effects and properties, while allowing the original to still be used in the synthesis. I can also use Division, but that uses up some of the required materials in the synthesis. So that means if I wanted to, and I had enough Wind elements, I could use one item 3 times in one synthesis! Isn't that incredible?

Yeah, it really is. It's amazing how effective cauldron alchemy can really be.

I never get enough sleep when we investigate outside of town, but hopefully this book will tell me how to do manage time better...

Oooh! This is an alchemy book that will allow me to use one Fire, Wind, Water, and Earth element to significantly upgrade any item and improve the synthesis. This should be perfect!

Heh heh, Logy, I'm going to show you how to make an incredibly powerful item! First, the Properties: Harmful Numbers significantly increases the power of an item, Frame Reinforce strengthens the item depending on how big it is, and Frame Expand increases the size of an item. That means if we use Frame Expand and Frame Reinforce together, our items will get so much more powerful!

I can see why you wanted that Golden Apple so much.

Yeah! Now, I'm going to add Power Lv1 and Strengthen Material to the Golden Apple, which will triple the effectiveness of the Apple in the synthesis. Then, I can use Convert to have enough Wind elements to Perfect Divide the Apple, allowing me to use it again.

And that's how you use a Golden Apple!

Does something special happen if you draw something in this book?

Yes! If you draw something in here, it'll pop out! Pretty cool, huh?

Wow, that book has a lot of dreams in it... Do you know how to draw, Escha?

I'm pretty confident in my artistic skills. When I was little, I really liked picture books and old fairy tales, so I drew a lot in my free time.

Is that so? Well, I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with.

What about you, Logy? You seem pretty good at that sort of stuff...

I don't know. I guess if you consider diagrams art, then I can draw a little.

Hmm... Diagrams require a lot of attention to detail. Oh no, you might be even better than me!

I'm not so sure about that. Drawing blueprints and drawing people are two very different things.

Why don't we go somewhere and draw together, then? Some place with a beautiful view... We can both draw it and show each other our work!

Uh... That sounds fun, but we do have work to do, remember?

Ugh, you're right. There's no time to slack off. If only there was time... I'd love to try that.

Why don't we start by including more illustrations in our reports?

Y-Yes! That's true... We could use our jobs as practice!

It's really remarkable how powerful the Golden Apples are.

Hey Logy, could you try modifying my staff again?

Sure, I'll give it a try.

There, it's done. Escha, your staff has that property from the Aurora Stone on it, Comet Attack. Looks like you were right, and since [Lumber] is used in a lot of syntheses, I think could improve a bunch of weapons to put Comet Attack on it.

Really? That's great! We'll be a lot more powerful against monsters with Comet Attack.

That's one request...

There's another!

There's the third one!

There are a lot of really valuable synthesis items in this book. Thanks Miss Nio!

Umm, what's this supposed to be used for?

I have no idea, honestly. I just made it according to Katla's specifications. I could very well be making some kind of fatal mistake...

I think it's pretty cute, but is there any more to it than just this?

Maybe I should redesign it into a weapon that even she could use...

B-But I think it already is a weapon, filled with the dreams of children!

Wha...? ...Really, Escha? Childrens' dreams?

All right, fine. Whatever.

The more I think about it, the more I think that Katla shouldn't even be fighting at all. Should we really be taking her with us onto the battlefield?

We can't let all her efforts go to waste!

I guess you're right. I'll try to make adjustments so she doesn't hurt herself with this.

There! It's done!

What the...? Did the atelier just suddenly get a lot colder?

Yeah, this is an incredibly powerful freezing bomb. We should be really careful with this, but if it explodes, it chills the air far below freezing. The cold can do a lot of damage to anything!

Let's get going! We need to save the Homunculus Village!

Wow...monsters are everywhere. This could take a while.

Comet Attack really is incredible...

This is a really interesting document!

The alchemic rodents

Whoa! Where did that rat get a Lightning Bomb!?

Let's see what it does...

That was amazing.

Yay! We got another Golden Apple!

Whew, that was a lot of enemies, but we've secured the area. Unless you have more business here, I think we can get going.

Attack of the small slags

I really wish we could go anywhere without powerful slags attacking...

Thankfully, looks like they're pretty weak to Water.

Whew...

And that's all four deliveries. What else do we have...?

Looks like just heading back to the mountain atelier and defeating the Scorching Drake. That should be easy!

New blade for Micie, and...

And a new broom for Wilbell. I think we're ready to head to the atelier.

That was easy! I don't have anything else I need to do here, so let's head back.

Huh? No, I don't know what happened to it. Try looking somewhere else.

Hm... That's strange. I could've sworn it was here.

Are you sure you didn't drop it under the sofa or something while you were working?

Umm... Hey! I found it! It was just where you said, Logy. How did you know?

Well... I've dropped it down there a few times myself.

Whoa! M-Miss Threia...!? When did you...

I wanted to take care of some reports, but it's strangely dusty in here. Looking for something?

We lost a book, so we were trying to find it. Sure enough, it was under the sofa, which gets dusty.

I know that feeling. I tend to lose my books, too. When I do, I usually just buy another copy.

Haha, if you keep doing that, you'll have a mountain of books. You need to search for them.

It's already too late for that. What should I do with that pile of books I rediscovered...?

So, that's why you came back here? To do more work?

Do you have a problem with that? I promise you that I won't get in your way.

Oh, um, no... It's just that we're pretty busy here now, and I thought it may be hard for you to work...

Oh, no. I'm actually quite used to it.

Yes, I completely get what you mean! I just feel so at peace when I'm synthesizing anything.

Yes, yes! That's what I'm talking about! It's the ideal space to try and organize my thoughts. There's that ever-so-slight feel of dust, and the scent of gunpowder, and everything... The texture of papers on your bookshelf, the sound of rattling glass, the slight burning smell... I've tried working in a lot of locales, but I feel most at ease when I'm here.

You really like it in here that much? I've never met anyone like you...

Miss Threia, I think you'd make a great alchemist if you could study properly.

Oh, now you're just making fun of me. A complete amateur like me could never learn to Synthesize.

N-No, I'm not. I think you'd make a really great alchemist!

(Escha gets along surprisingly well with Threia... She's a wonder.)

Never thought I'd actually put this together. The design is trickier than it looks.

Better bag for Lucille...

You're making a lot of weapons lately, Logy!

Yeah, you were definitely right about Comet Attack. The more weapons that have it, the safer our investigations will be.

Adamantite rodents

I don't know why I keep letting you drag me out to this desert. This is like the third time we've been here in the past four months. Anyway, let's...

Ah! Monsters!

Oooooh! A diamond!

That was fast...but those materials are amazing. We also found a Big Bone for making a new sword for Linca. I don't see any reason to stay here, and we've only got about 10 more days until the end of the assignment.

Just some Metal Chips?

Yeah, they're really good for syntheses, and since so many weapon syntheses use [Metal] ingredients, these will be really useful to you, too!

Well, I don't see why we had to go to the Southern Ruins, but there's no problem with it. Looks like we've completely finished this assignment, like last time.

Hey Logy, I've been wanting to ask: you've been in Colseit for about 18 months now...how do you feel about this place?

Hmm...I'm glad I got the opportunity to come here. It's exciting being part of developing this area, investigating the ruins, fighting powerful monsters, and I think most importantly, watching your cauldron alchemy, Escha.

Wha--!? Watching me is exciting!?

Yeah, it really is. You have to understand, growing up as a researcher in Central, I never got to see the outside world very often. My life was spent either researching in my room, researching in the lab, performing experiments, reading books all the time... Do you remember when I told you that my master taught me how to sword fight?

Of course!

Well, those times were some of the only times I got to do something excting. Watching you perform Synthesis reminds me that there's a lot more to the world than just performing experiments and researching alchemy in Central City. I admit, it was kind of hard getting used to life here in Colseit, but I think I'm starting to enjoy my time here.

That's great to hear, Logy! I hope I can do even more to make your time here fun!

Sure. Why don't we go turn in our final report to Marion?

Miss Marion, I think this is a good opportunity, so do you mind if I ask you something?

What is it, Logy? Why so formal..? This is unusual.

How long have you been doing this job...? I'm guessing you're a seasoned veteran...

A-Actually, I'd like to know too... How much harder do I have to work to be a professional like you?

Y-You don't have to put me up on a pedestal like that... You're making me blush. Yes, well... I've been doing this for about ten years, ever since I became a government employee.

TEN YEARS!? I guess it takes a lot of experience to become as mature and smart as you...

So, if you were around Escha's age when you started, and it's been ten years, then... ...Wow. I guess it really is difficult...

Logy...? Let me give you a little piece of advice, m'kay? Never calculate a woman's age right in front of her. It's VERY rude, you know?

Ah... E-Excuse me. Th-That's not what I meant to...

You've got so much seniority over me! I've just found some new respect for you!

...I know you two mean no harm, but you really need to be careful about saying stuff like that.

Now, then... Let's take a look at how you kids did last quarter, hm? Wow, you worked really hard for us! Thanks to your progress, the ruins investigation will be very smooth!

I see... I'm glad to be useful to you...

I think you kids are becoming a lot tougher, you know? Inside and out. As a government official, you need to have about ten or twenty ruins explorations under you belt...

Please, not that many... Our bodies will give out...

We've taken on a lot of tasks already, so I wonder if we're becoming a little more mature.

At any rate, I'm going to give you your assignment for this period.

Oh yeah, Father said he needed some help from R&D.

Does this mean that...

Yep! Father submitted a request to the R&D Division.

Apparently the crops aren't doing too well lately, and we're looking into ways to help the orchards.

I see... The goal seems simple enough, but finding out how to do it will be tough.

I need to show that I'm a capable worker! I'm going to ask Father and Clone all the details right now.

Well, Escha seems really committed to this job... I guess having family involved will do that.

That's true, but if we work really hard, the whole town will harvest more delicious apples!

Hm...I'm going to go take a walk before we head to the orchard. Is that okay, Escha?

Yeah! I'll meet you at Duke's bar in about an hour, okay?

Sure.

Peaceful sky

In Central City, I was always hounded by my work... It was incredibly stressful. Oh yeah, I wanted to ask Awin something. He's probably working around the blimps somewhere. I'll take my time.

Music: Sora no Kizuato

It's rare to see Threia at the docks...guess she was looking for Awin, too.

Laughing here, enjoying the world around me... I can almost start moving on now.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Well, in news relevant to my inevitable Shallie thread, I ordered the art books for Ayesha, Escha, and Shallie, and I'll have them sent to my home in the States for the next thread. In addition to tons of concept art that isn't in the game, there's interviews with hidari, and even (in the Ayesha book), an entire side-story starring Nio in a series of diary entries she wrote before she disappeared before the events of Ayesha. I'm really looking forward to leafing through them and sharing the good bits when I start the next thread.

But, I'll do my mechanics post in the morning, and start working on Bonus Update 3 ASAP.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Are there blank images in the update, or is it just on my end?

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I was seeing blank, black screenshots too.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Do the support characters get as much development here as they get in Ayesha? Cause Threia's scene would be a lot funnier if they told us more about her first.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
Everybody gets around six scenes you unlock by raising their friendship level (an invisible counter that so far as anyone can tell is 100% based on whether they're in the active party, back row, or reserves), plus a few others that are plot-mandated. Sylphid definitely seems to be on track to 100% the game, so what you see is what you'd get. It definitely feels like a step back compared to Rorona, but that one had more characters [at least not counting DLC] so it's hard to say.

Most of the characters are basically a type with one twist, that's definitely true. I'm pretty certain Threia is Satella except messy instead of glamorous, just like Marian is still if Meryl from Trigun was a government manager instead of an actuary; and Reyfer is basically if anime Indiana Jones listened to Dave Ramsey a lot, etc. That's another thing that makes me think Gust had their usual crazy tamped down: the characters are solid (Lucille is the only one I dislike), but no new standouts, at least in my opinion.

Sylphid posted:

Escha, I see that friends can have benefits.

Noooot touchin' that one.

So I have to ask, Sylphid-- how much time you spend on your syntheses now, especially for stuff you use a lot? I remember a couple undertakings to get all the ideal properties on things that ran 30 minutes, to a little over an hour on one where... well, we can commiserate when you get to it, heh.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Mechanics Post

This is going to be a short, non-update update on how the mechanics of the game works behind the scenes, just so that everyone knows how the game is actually played without having to play the game. I understand one key point of an LP is to explain the game's mechanics and how it works, but once you have a theme, you have to stick to it. Anyhow, let's begin.

Job Requests

Solle is the only person in the game you can accept requests from, much like the job system in Rorona and Meruru (Totori and Ayesha being exceptions). Every 10-20 days or so, Solle will update his list, and you can accept more requests. Unlike the rest of the PS3 Ateliers I've covered, there's no penalty whatsoever for failing to complete a request. Solle just gives you a verbal dressing down, and you can move on. Requests are good from the time you accept them until the start of a new assignment.

The reason you want to do jobs is twofold: every request gives you a certain point value to leveling up R&D, and most important, candy to fuel the homunculi production lines. So, there's no real need to go out of your way to fulfill Solle's requests most of the time, and the batch of auto-generated requests you've already fulfilled just by having stuff in your Container is usually more than enough to set you on your way.

Leveling up R&D adds lines you can put items in to take on adventures. Escha and Logy both start with one line in their backpack or whatever they're carrying items in, and can add up to five more lines I think. Each line has five slots, and no item in the game can go over five spaces. If you're not like super hardcore, don't even bother leveling up R&D all the way. If you complete all the main assignment requests (the 9 main ones and all the extra ones), you'll level up R&D to the second-to-last level, but you have to do a metric ton of requests to get R&D all the way. As far as I know, there's basically no point to doing that.

Anyway, speaking of the homunculi...

Homunculus Requests

Once Solle gives you access to the homunculi at the start of Assignment 4 (investigate the Abandoned River), you can start using all that candy you've been getting from jobs and putting them towards making copies of anything in your Container (your Container has limitless capacity, just so you know).

Anyway, Melting Jewels and Sweet Stumps are by far the most common two candies you'll get. However, to get the homunculi to do jobs for you in one of the five categories (Ingredient, Attack, Heal, Support, Synthesis), you'll need the appropriate candy, which is as follows:

Ingredients - Melting Jewels

Attack - Dried Taro Chips

Heal - Cloud Financier

Support - Preserved Biscuit

Synthesis - Sweet Stump

So, if you need an item in a particular category, focus on requests from Solle that will give you that particular candy. That's about all there is to that. Homunculi cannot duplicate Search items, like the Dowsing Rod, weapons, armor, or accessories.

This is the screen for ordering jobs. You can tell the homunculi to make up to 9 copies of a single item on a single order, but you have to pay more candy to make more, obviously (1-1 relationship there). As long as you have open order slots (starts with 3, you can upgrade it to 5 and 10 via R&D experiment books bought from Marion) you can put in as many orders for one item you want. The homunculi take longer to acquire / make copies of rarer items.

One final note about the homunculi is that you can expedite any order by paying them more candy, up to and including giving the homunculi enough candy to somehow instantly finish the order. Best not to think about how that works too hard.

Alchemy

I already went over the most fundamental of alchemy mechanics in a regular update, and have done supplements occasionally, but here's how the system works in simple terms. Each material / item in the game has a specific element or elements associated with it. In this screenshot, for example, the Golden Yarn has one point of Water and Wind. There are four elements: Fire, Water, Wind, and Earth, and you can stock up to five of each point. Any points added after five are completely wasted.

Additionally, sometimes a item can have several of one element or another. The Eagle Feather has 3 Wind Elements, for example, and the Golden Apple has three of each. The Dunkelheit, the best ingredient in the game, has a whopping five of each element. You can see exactly what each item will add in the little black box underneath each item.

The average of all three items will determine was the Effect of the item is (it's directly underneath the picture of the item). The Effect is basically how well it does the stated function. It's mostly closely related to "Quality" from the previous games, but the Effect is not nearly as important as the "Effects" of the tem, which is determined by the four gauges underneath the Effect bar.

By adding enough to a specific one of the four elements, you can unlock effects for the final item, such as making a bomb slow enemy speed or having an item regenerate more HP, etc, etc, etc. You can check out what any one effect does by pushing the select button and highlighting the effect you want to know more about. However, sometimes increasing an element will make an effect go AWAY. This is mostly for items that consume a large amount of MP if you use them. Higher elements can lessen the effect of the MP subtraction or eliminate it completely. While higher values are not necessarily better, this is true for about 95% of effects in this game. If you haven't seen the effect before, it'll be "???" on the property preview screen you can check out by pressing R1 at any time.

Finally, let's go back to making the item. The reason you want element points is to unlock alchemy skills. Alchemy skills include all sorts of things, like increasing the Effect of the item, making more of the item (mostly related to items that don't have a use count), doubling the number value for the item's elements (so in this example, I can have the Golden Apple add 30 to each element instead of 15), or allow you to use an item up to three different times (if you have the skill Perfect Division, which consumes 4 Wind Points, which you get at alchemy level 33). You can only use a skill if you have enough corresponding element points. A key point is you can only use each alchemy skill ONCE in a synthesis.

The Cost Points (CP) system returns from Ayesha. Your CP is determined by some experiments purchased from Marion's R&D "store" (which happens to be the main point of money aside from buying recipe books), but mostly determined by Escha's alchemy level x2. Her alchemy level goes up to 50. She and Logy share alchemy experience, and you can certainly level up as Logy. If you run out of CP, you still have to add the ingredients, but you won't get any element points from the materials.

Once you're happy with a synthesis, you can continue on to make the item. The Properties you can attach to an item are determined by the items you threw into the synthesis, as well as making sure you don't go over the total Property Points (PP) you have available. If you ever see a Property +5, PP Expansion or whatever, those traits are automatically factored into the synthesis, and are added onto whatever base PP value you already have. You can increase the number of PP available for syntheses in a particular category by buying books from R&D. There's a bomb category, food category, accessory category, on and on. Simple idea, hopefully.

Also, much like the Atelier PS3s after Rorona, you can only put certain traits on certain items. So, in this screenshot, Ability Power can only be put on accessories (as do most stat increasing properties).

Battles

Battles are probably the single most-changed aspect of this game after Ayesha. Your party can be up to six characters at once, and you have to combine your attacks to defeat the enemy. There are a number of changes. The top right is where we start, where the thing that bears most explanation is the Rate. Rate is basically a multiplier added to an attack that increases the damage done normally. So, let's say Linca begins at attack with Rate at 105%. That attack, all things being equal to an attack at Rate 141%, will do less damage.

Support numbers are for attacking and defending. You can attack with a support gauge that is at least at level 1 (with a maximum level of 9), and defend another character with a gauge that's at least 50% full. Once you gain six party members, you unlock special attacks once the Rate goes over 200%. The 200% needs to be reached BEFORE the sixth party member attacks. If you have reached thet condition, the words "Special Support" will flash on the screen, and you'll get to activate a special attack from the party member launching the final attack. For most (everyone except Logy and Threia), this is just a simple damaging attack, but for Logy's Thunder Fall, it'll frequently give Logy absolute priority in the turn order. Very handy. Threia's special support hits the enemy with every debuff, which makes it perfect for follow-up attacks. Every attack (including support attacks) will increase the gauge, but attacks that hit an enemy from the side or from behind will make it increase more. A Slag Essence with the trait Slag Wave on it will add a whopping three points to the gauge.

Super Attacks are available once a character hits level 30. In typical Atelier fashion, everyone except the main characters get one. For every attacking and defending action, that number builds up (for attacks, strikes that hit more than one target will make it increase faster). Once it reaches 100%, you can activate the Super Move for no cost, other than resetting the counter. You cannot follow-up Super Attacks with support skills.

Getting KO'd works a little differently in this game. When a character is KO'd, if they're not revived before they get another turn, a character in the back line will rush in to replace them. From then, you can revive the fallen character, as long as you have the appropriate item (the first KO recovery item you'll probably get is the Cup of Life, which you can use to target the back line if you start to use it but press L1 to target the back line). All six characters at the front of the queue in your party can fight in a battle, if you switch out active characters with back line ones. This system is completely new to this game in the Atelier series. As such, when a character joins, they're in your party for the rest of the game, unlike the recruiting system in the previous four games.

Friendship levels

One of the quirkier aspects of this game is that each character in the game has a certain friendship level that's based on a simple numbering system, but as far as anyone can tell this value is completely hidden in-game. Because this game has character endings, you need to increase character affections to get more scenes with the character, and eventually, the choice to get that character's ending.

Basically, here's how it works. Characters in your active party (the three characters who are on the field at the start of the fight) gain the most friendship points. Characters in the back line get a little less, and characters in reserve get the absolute least. If you keep a character in reserve the entire game, you probably won't see all their events. As another note, your fellow alchemist (Logy for Escha, and Escha for Logy), doesn't work the same way, so as far as friendship points go, having the non-player alchemist in reserve is the best way, but that character's ability to use items is incredibly handy. Essentially, you'll be fine as long as you switch up your party every now and then.

You'll know when you've seen all of a character's events if you see a CG starring that character. Sometimes (like with Linca) all you have to do is see a number of events, but other characters might be a bit more elaborate. Awin is definitely the most elaborate to see all his events, because he unlocks a completely new area of the game on his character path.

You can change your front line, back line, and reserve at any point in town or in the field, but your player character is locked into the front line (as indicated by the padlock next to Escha).

That's basically all the fundamental mechanics of the game. If there's anything else you'd like to know, feel free to ask in the thread, and I'll discuss it as best I can.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 11, 2014

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Bonus Update 3

Artwork:
Powerup Meeting
Great Monster War
Harvest Festival
Southern Ruins
Upland Forest
Escha concept art 1
Escha concept art 2
Logy concept art 1
Logy concept art 2
Logy concept art 3

Episode 5 ending card
Episode 6 ending card
Episode 7 ending card
Episode 8 ending card

I have to say, I really like this "ending cards by different artists" idea they did for the show. Very interesting to see different artists' takes on the characters. The first one in this batch is the best. I love the Harry balloon. You can spot all sorts of things from the game in that one. Interestingly, Watanuki Nao did the character designs for the early Atelier series.

Music:
Dorothy's Tiger
An important aspect in a boss fight is conveying fighting spirit. The player should feel changing emotions, ranging from burning passion to doubt and despair, as the drama moves along. The most important mission with music is to convey and support the emotions that the player experiences. (Kikuta)

Corpse
The bouzouki and bass played in this track were also done by Dani. The bouzouki used by Dani was actually an acoustic guitar remodeled into a 5x2 string (4x2 is normal). The bass also has 5 strings (4 is normal) so there's always an extra string. It's also extra trouble (lol). (Achiwa)

Decaying Light
The guitar, bass, and bouzouki were played by Dani. The idea was to convey the image of long shadows around sunset. Going to the park on a lazy Sunday evening evokes a sad feeling. (Achiwa)

Stretch
Micie's theme. I wanted to make this track sound elegant and composed, yet avoid making it sound too grown-up. Every time he says something cool I want to throw flower petals in the background... No, that would be too gaudy. (Yanagawa)

Too Late
Referring to me? Stop it! The shaky tones from the trumpet fit very well and are quite moving. Brass pieces are not just for grand themes, but can be used like this as well. (Achiwa)

Rut of Time
Here I go again, using uncommon words to look smart. Even though I'm not. A tragedy with a touch of grandeur. (Achiwa)

Alchemist's Dialectic
In 19/8 time, with 4 note chords, and key changes, I wanted to make a light track that was difficult to grasp, just like a mysterious lithograph. (Shimoda)

Ringo no Negoto ~Ring on one, go to... (Sleep-Talking Apple)
The song is by Amaoto Junka, the bass and guitar are played by Dani, and the drums are played by Shimoda! I don't have many opportunities to write cute songs like this, but I personally enjoy it. Your impressions may change after clearing the game and listening to the song again. (Yanagawa)

Agame yo, Ware no Shinki (Worship Me, The Demon God)
The song is by Haruka Shimotsuki. With a simple 7 time rhythm, an ethnic melody, and grand 4 note choir, we felt Shimotsuki would be a great fit. Many thanks! Shimotsuki and Kikuta have worked on music together before, and I am very grateful to work alongside them both. (Shimoda)

Sora no Kizuato (Scars in the Sky)
This song is by the popular Annabel, who has featured in many anime theme songs. The guitar and bass are by Dani. I composed this song to convey the theme of past regrets, but I think students preparing for examinations or buried under endless homework will find it quite profound as well. (Achiwa)

Annabel, if you'll recall, also did the ending theme for Ayesha. I love her voice, so I'm quite glad they got her back for this game and Shallie.

FJ: The Pen and the Sword Part 3
This tune has an intense feeling. Linca, finish them! Linca's graceful swordplay during her Finishing attack is fun to watch, but her support guard pose is nice, too. She's great for both offense and defense. (Shimoda)

Videos:
Micie Suspicious scene - Escha version

Buying the book for 100,000 Cole With a special sneak preview of Escha's second alternate costume and Logy's alternate costume. I'll be using these starting next update.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 21, 2014

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XVI: The Blazing Wasteland and Mountains

Um, Logy... Are you finished? Sorry, but can you give me a hand with this really quick?

Y-Yeah, I don't mind. I would like to get this submitted and run it by Solle... What do you need help with?

Mixing these two chemicals is really tricky... I need someone to hold one of the glasses while I pour. It can be really hard to hold both and do it right...

Oh yeah, you told me about that before. Hold on...

Oh, Lucille. What's up?

I finished my report on the investigation, so I was told to come here and help you guys.

Oh, great timing. I have a little errand you can run for me. Do you think you can handle it?

Yes, what is it?

Can you pass this along to Solle for me? I have to stay here for the moment.

Oh, right! Can you take some documents to Miss Marion for me, too? They're right on that desk...

Of course! No problem! I'll be right back.

Sorry, and thanks. There she goes. Now, do you still need help with those chemicals?

Yeah, if you can...

Be careful, Logy! Not so much!

I'm trying! This is really tricky!

I just need a few more drops...

*drip*

*drip*

*drip*

That's it!

Whew, that was scary...

Pardon me, Logy. I came to pick up that proposal I asked you for the other day.

I just sent Lucille to give it to you. Didn't you get it yet?

Ah... The child did come by my office and gave me something, but it wasn't what I'd asked for. It appears to be an investigation summary... I was under the impression Marion handled those?

Whuh? How'd that get there?

I'm back!

Uh, Lucille, it seems the document I asked you to give to Solle never made it...

Huh? But I just gave it to him!

I think you may have mixed it up with the one I asked you to give to Miss Marion.

Oh, boy. I'll go with you. It'd be quicker if I just traded papers with her. Mistakes like this can cost more than just time. Please be very careful with handling documents.

I-I'm sorry... I'll be careful...

...Well, it's a pretty understandable mistake.

I wonder if Lucille's going to be okay. I'd better double-check to be sure I didn't make any mistakes.

Hey Escha, I know you're busy, but I just don't have time to look after Lucille. Can you do what you can for her?

Sure... Watching her kind of reminds me how I used to be... Haha, I'll help her out as much as I can.

Thanks. What's next...? Oh yeah, I have to get a bunch of reference books off the shelf.

Don't worry, I'll clean it up later.

Well... Don't complain to me if the Branch Chief suddenly shows up and yells at you.

...You're right. That guy's sudden inspections are quite scary.

Hmm? Did he get mad at you too, Logy?

What's that supposed to mean? ...He just caught me at a bad time, that's all.

Haha, he's a good person, though. He comes over and asks us if we need anything...

Yeah, I thought that all higher-ups were supposed to be arrogant.

He got promoted from there and became the current Branch Chief.

I didn't know that. No wonder he has such a powerful glare...

He really is scary when he's angry. I feel a chill down my spine when he so much as looks at me.

...Could that be because you both have guilty consciences?

M-Mr. Colland! When did you--!?

I-I'm sorry! I didn't mean anything bad...

No, I don't mind. But you're scared of me, huh?

I-It's not like that. You listen to what we need, and you're very helpful. There's just one thing...

I wouldn't be a very good boss if my workers didn't respect me. In other words, it's perfectly fine if young people like you fear me.

Huh... Is that right?

I need the presence to effectively reprimand others. If I don't have that, then my scolding has no persuasive power. That's the most difficult part.

Hmm... You're very strict with yourself, too. I think that's very impressive.

Scolding power, huh? Being a role model must be really difficult...

Flattery won't get you anywhere. Also... This room is a mess. I've warned you about this before.

Oh no. I forgot...

That's why I was telling you to clean up!

I know, I know...

This is your workplace. Clean it up! Now!

Y-Yes! Sorry!

I guess I really should keep it tidy, if he's going to show up from time to time...

Hmm. Perhaps I should do a little cleaning in my own office when I get back.

For some reason he reminds me of Solle. Well, he's still scary, but both of us should be more careful...

Yeah...anyway, do you want to check out this quarter's assignments?

That's a strange assignment...

I've heard that the villagers were planning on leaving the village soon. I guess if that happens we'll have to confirm it. We'll just have to wait and see if that happens.

Hey! You guys are too late! I already finished my magic show.

Oh, you did another one of those?

Sorry... We never asked when you were going to be performing.

Oh, right, I never told you. Sorry!

Um... So, do you want us to see it, or not? I'd like to watch it.

You kids missed it again? That's some bad luck.

Heh heh... I suppose so. We'll definitely check before we come next time.

Hahaha! Good, you do that. It's a shame you didn't catch it. Thanks again, young lady. Business is picking up tonight thanks to you.

Yeah, well, it's easy for me.

There is something I wanted to ask you, though... Could you add some variety to your act next time?

Huh? Like... Like what?

I don't know...putting someone in a box, and sticking swords in it, and then--tada!--they're fine.

Oh, that sounds fun! You could split things apart, or make things disappear...

Yeah, yeah! Or light people on fire, or other fancy tricks like that.

What!? No way! There's no way I could do that!

Really? I think the crowd would really love something like that. Anyway, I don't mind what, but try mixing it up a little. Don't tell me you're out of things to do.

No, I'm sure even Wilbell has things she can or can't do.

Great! Don't hold back on us! I want you to do something fantastic for us next time! Hahaha!

That's great, Wilbell. So what magic are you going to use?

I-I don't know... I'm already out of ideas.

Whaaaat!? So you lied just now?

I knew it... So, what are you going to do?

I have to train and find something new. I can't tell him I'm out of ideas after saying that... Wilbell's Magic Show is on hiatus as of today...

No way... I wanted to see it at least once!

I thought I could spin this into making money for a while longer... Guess I need to learn more spells.

Awww...

Knowing Wilbell, I'm sure she'll come up with something new soon.

I wouldn't say "shopping". I actually have some official business with Katla.

Really...? What kind of business is that? It's not something really strange, is it?

Actually, Harry's decided to support me in this venture! So, we were discussing how we should take the store mainstream.

Huh? That's a really huge turn of events! What happened so suddenly!?

I've been going to Katla's store for some time now, and we've hit it off quite well. I think my heart was moved to see a young child overflowing with passion for rare artifacts. Which is why, with the help of the merchant's association, we're giving her store a makeover.

W-Wow... I didn't know you hit it off that well. I suppose it does make a bit of sense, though.

Wow, you're finally getting your own proper store. Good for you, Katla.

Well, about that... I only plan to receive support for my living expenses right now.

Really? I thought you would've splurged a bit. This seems a little out of character for you, Katla.

Ahahaha.... Well, he did offer a lot of support for my store, as well, but... I just felt that this is something I needed to do on my own. I want to make my dream come true by myself.

...I guess that was your long-time goal, after all.

Faced with such trouble, she still insists on charging head-first into the path of her dreams... If you ever find yourself in trouble, please feel free to talk to me. I will do anything to help!

Oh no, all I need is you on my side, Harry... I feel like I can really do this!

All right, we're going to make a killing! You guys had better look forward to my improved shop!

That's amazing! Then, are you going to carry a lot more items in the future?

Of course I am! I've already got a nice selection today, too! Check out this strange-scented rock!

...Um. You said you wanted to make a killing, right...? You sure that's gonna happen?

(Still, she and Harry managed to become good friends... I wonder what they talked about?)

Yes. Several other farms have reported similar returns. It's like I thought... We will need to think of ways to improve the situation.

Hmm... This isn't good.

Hmm, the orchards don't look as nice today as they usually do.

Oh yeah, this request came from your father, right?

Yes. Clone and Father manage the orchards, since they're so big. Nio's been a big help, but Clone and Father have been working in the orchards since I was born. They've never looked this bad, though... Maybe that's why Father put in a request to R&D. Oh, looks like they're already talking... Father, we took on the request for the R&D Division.

Oh, is that so...? Thanks a ton, Escha.

Request...? What do you mean?

I asked the town's R&D Division to help us figure out why our apples aren't doing so well.

I see... That was a great idea.

Is it true the harvest's gone down? From here, things don't seem to have changed that much.

To the untrained eye, yes. But, we've been going through a slight decline for years.

We've done all we can think of, but we're out of ideas. Do you think there's something you can do?

You're the specialists in this area... I doubt we can come up with anything better.

Logy, do you think we can do anything with alchemy? Or our tools?

Well, I suppose that's all that comes to mind.

I'll write them down in a note, so please pass it along to Faul when you are done. As an official, and as an alchemist, I will watch to see how well the two of you perform.

Got it. We'll try to make everything that we can.

I think I'm getting a little nervous... B-B-But, we need to help the apple orchards!

Oh, Logy, I have something really special for you! Last time I was here, I asked Clone to make some new clothes for you. Let's go get them from her!

New clothes? What are you--?

Hm? What's the matter?

I was cleaning out the warehouse and I found something that brings back memories. Do you recognize it?

...This looks like a really old picture book.

Oh! Is this the book that you guys read to me when I was really really young?

That's right. I only meant to skim it earlier, but I ended up reading the entire thing.

Hahaha, picture books can be quite interesting once you begin reading them as adults.

That's so true! And rereading it can bring up completely different emotions when you read them later!

I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to get you so worked up...

That's... "The Adventures of the Bumblebee Princess", right? Do you mind if I take a look at it, too?

Of course not. How would you like me to read to you, like I used to?

Once upon a time, there was a very cute girl, called the Bumblebee Princess.

To the annoyance of the people around her, she always seemed to know the answer to everything.

No matter how obscure the question, I always know the answer. Someone...tell me a story I do not know!

And then, a girl in a hat came to the Bumblebee Princess and told her:

Tell me, Princess... For I do not know...

What is it, that you don't know?

Why can't my grandfather's farm grow plants anymore?

Leave that to me. I'll fix it right away!

With that, the Bumblebee Princess created a strange watering can and began to water the fields. Suddenly, the fields began to grow their vegetables once more.

See? There is nothing that I can't answer.

The Bumblebee Princess was pleased, but the girl in the hat was not.

What is it, that you don't know?

My grandfather's farm never had trouble growing vegetables before... Why did it stop now?

The Bumblebee Princess was at a loss. For, not even she knew WHY the plants had stopped growing.

Wh-What do I think? Well... It sounds like you stopped in the middle of the story.

There are chapters. I remember being so curious to find out what happens that I couldn't sleep.

Yeah, this probably wouldn't help me get to sleep either, if I was left with a question like that.

Yeah, I remember liking that story so much... But for some reason I can't remember how it goes now.

My oh my... Well, if it interests you, I will continue the story at another time.

Yeah! It's nice to relax sometimes and listen to this story.

I guess. For some reason, that Bumblebee Princess looked a little familiar. Probably just my imagination.

Really?

Yeah, just something about the way she looked... I want to take a little tour of the orchards while I'm here. Would that be alright?

Sure!

Do they just grow by themselves? I don't know very much about agriculture.

Haha, well, it's a little different. We put pollen on the apple flowers to fertilize them.

Then the flowers grow, and turn into apples, and the apples have seeds inside. You know those hard little things in the apple core? Those are the seeds.

Hmm, so that's what they are. I had no idea.

...It's kind of strange that you wouldn't know something like that, Logy.

I've just never had any sort of connection to it. Back in Central City, all I did was study alchemy. So, how exactly do you fertilize the flowers?

Usually, you put pollen on the end of a stick or brush. You've seen Clone doing that, right?

Yes, but with an orchard this big, it's very difficult. That's why we borrow the power of nature.

What does that mean? You use wind to blow the pollen around?

That sounds a little too difficult to work out. Is that okay?

No. We actually have beehives in boxes around the orchard. When bees drink nectar from flowers, they also take pollen with them. Clone taught me that.

Hmm, so you use the bees to move the pollen around. I didn't know you could do that.

The bees fly around carrying the pollen by themselves, so it makes sense.

Also, you could get some delicious honey that way, too.

Yes. The honey made from apple flowers is very good.

Yeah... But bees sting people. I don't really like them.

It is pretty scary when they come near...

So, you mean...there are tons of bees just flying all over the apple orchard?

Yes, I see them from time to time. But they won't attack you unless you do something to provoke them. Bees only attack people because they're the ones afraid of humans.

I didn't know... I guess even if they do have a stinger, they're still tiny bugs. I never really thought about how the bugs feel. You sure do know a lot, Escha.

Really? It's just normal to me, because I've lived on an apple orchard for so long.

...Maybe I should study apples more since I'm living in town. If we're going to be helping out with the orchards, it will definitely help to know how the pollen spreads normally.

Leave it to me! If there's anything you want to know about the orchards, just let me know. You're probably better off asking Clone, but she can be really busy these days, so...

I understand. We should start by making some materials to revitalize the ground. That's the place to start for now. Anyway, what about those clothes you were talking about?

Oh, I totally forgot! I guess we can come by later...

What's up, Harry? Strange that you would come to the atelier.

And you seem very happy...

Can you tell? Well, I suppose such uncontainable joy and overflowing accomplishment would be obvious. It's only because I finally completed "From the Wilderness"!

Really!? Congratulations, Harry!

Thank you, thank you. I was only able to complete this book thanks to readers like yourself. I had a flash of insight, and wrote it all in one sitting. So I admit there may be errors. But this is based upon the experiences I had during my travels. Please, make use of it.

Thank you very much. Wow, this book is quite thick...

"Scholarly experiences..." That sounds like a lot of hard work. I wonder if I can read this...

It is an advanced research book, after all. The contents are meant to be for high-level readers. And my insights have always proven difficult for others to understand... However, I'm sure that those of you who were waiting for so long will be able to process my verbiage.

Harry finished his book... I wonder if there's anything useful to our alchemy written inside.

Wow, there are some alchemy recipes in here. I can't believe it...and they look okay, too. I guess the only way to see if they really work is to make them, but they look okay.

Hey Logy, can you finish up this synthesis? I'm going to pick up the clothes from Clone!

Wha--!? But I don't know anything about cauldron synthesis.

Oh, it's so easy! You've seen me do it a bunch of times. You just have to stir! I'll be back soon.

Hm, we could use this for the orchard, but... Maybe we could use this on investigations.

Logy, I'm back!

What are you wearing--? It looks like a pirate...

Yeah! And I have something for you, too!

That coat looks nice, but is that a...a tail? I'm not wearing that!

Oh yes you are! Clone found this in the house! My mother must have made it!

Fine, fine... (I guess I can get used to the tail...)

How do I look?

You look so cool, Logy! I really like my coat, too! I look just like a pirate!

Yeah, I guess it looks pretty nice. Anyway, Marion said we should check out the Searing Wastes. It looks like they're fairly close to the Slag Graveyard, but going by the name...

It's going to be really hot. We should bring along plenty of cold bombs.

I agree. We should prepare pretty well for this trip.

This is going to be a pain...

Music: Cliff of Burned Place

Wow! It's so hot here... We should complete our investigation here and get out of here as fast as possible.

Logy! Isn't this what we need to make the Flight Gas Jar?

It sure is, and the quality is fine, too. Let's keep a look out for one more. If we can find one more, we can make the Gas Jar when we get back to town.

Yeah! I'm really excited to make it now!

The volcanic slags

Even this far out we're not safe from powerful slags... Escha, let's get rid of them!

Sure!

Maybe everyone's tired from the heat... We should be careful in the future.

At least we did it...

Man, this lava is everywhere. We really need to get out of here fast.

Logy, where did all this stuff come from?

It's possible there were a lot of volcanic eruptions here in the past. I don't understand why there' s a lot of lava around, though, but this area seems very unstable. We're in great danger while we're here.

I can understand the bears, but the rats being here is strange. Regardless, we should take care of this.

Yes! We got three Golden Apples!

That's pretty good. Let's keep going.

Yeah, we should take a short break. Hey, Katla. Are you all right? You're really lagging behind.

Y-Yes... I'm okay...

Really? You aren't pushing yourself too hard?

No, but this is really difficult... Are you two okay?

Ahaha... I'm a little tired, but this isn't too bad yet.

Wow... I feel like I'm going to fall over...

No way, I can't burden you like that! I'll be fine! And if I give up in a place like this, you won't take me to even more interesting places.

Well, yeah. We'd definitely take that into consideration for future trips.

Logy, if you keep saying things like that, Katla's going to push herself too hard.

It's your responsibility to tell us before that happens when we're out in a dangerous place like this.

...You're right. If I feel like I can't take any more, I'll be sure to let you know. Don't worry. I can still handle much more than this! There's no way I'm going home until I find more rare items!

Ahaha... Just don't overdo it.

Okay... Oh, what's that!?

You're right, that is nice. And there are a lot of them, too.

Hmm, if these were properly processed, they could sell for a pretty high price.

I can't process them, but I could sell them as-is. I still have a good feeling about them, though! Yes, it was worth the effort to come this far. Now, shall we head home?

What are you talking about? We're still in the middle of the investigation.

What... We aren't going home?

We're not done yet. We've got to keep going, okay?

B-But I collected all this stuff! I'm at my limit! I'm so tired, you'll have to carry me.

What happened to all that energy from before? You're not going to collapse yet.

Yeah, you've still got plenty of energy. Let's get going.

No way... Ugh, I guess I'll just have to find more items, then.

I don't think Katla can ran out of energy. She always wants to collect a lot, wherever we go.

Haha, yeah! We should keep an eye on her, though. We want everyone to be safe.

That's a pretty great relic, Escha. It's a very viscous metal, allowing it to be used in a wide variety of synthesis to reinforce the item's properties without making it weigh a lot more. We should make one of our own soon, if we can find the recipe for it. Do you want to throw it into the Dismantler when we get back?

Hm, yeah, this metal is made out of an interesting substance. I'd love to know more about it.

Escha, we're about done with this investigation. Do you want to keep going after we're done here?

No...I'm really sweaty. Oh! But before we go back, we should get more Buoyant Gas! There should more around here.

Right...

That's an interesting bomb. The Dismantler should be able to tell us what this is made out of.

Alright, that should be enough for the Flight Gas Jar. Let's start heading back.

I can't wait to make it! We're getting a lot closer to making the dreadnought!

We've still got a lot to do...

I never thought liquid metal would disassemble into something like this.

Wow! We got Aroma Materia from disassembling that!? That's amazing!

I knew there must be a way to combine the White and Black Neutralizers! I still don't know the recipe for it, but we should keep an eye out for it.

Yeah, this is a great material. Let's make sure to have the homunculi start duplicating them.

This item will make you feel super light on your feet! And, it can make you really strong! Monsters have powerful attacks, but this can provide a really good defense against them.

...Wait, Logy? Hmm...where did Logy go?

Well, that takes care of that. I have to let Escha's clothes dry out. All that sweating from going to the Searing Wastes...

Logy, I think you'd make it better on Maintenance crew than as an alchemist.

...I'm not so sure I agree. What do you think about this? Will it be enough?

Yeah, I think so. I'll be able to get started right away... First, we'll begin with the foundation...

Wait, wait, don't get started on your own. We need to convince Solle before we do anything, right?

Hmmm... But I already have the blueprints, and the necessary materials... If we start now, it'll be finished that much faster. C'mon!

What are you talking about? We need these materials to get Solle on our side. Not to mention we need to get the plans approved by the branch manager, then we'll be able to...

If we sit and wait for that to happen, we'll never get started! We'll get caught in the red tape. Don't worry about it... I'll be careful, so no one will know we're working until we're done.

I hate to tell you this, but that'll make us look really bad. Please, work with me here... I don't need to tell you that I support this project. I want it to succeed as much as you do.

Whew... Well, then, good luck with the rest. I'm cheering you on.

Huh!? I thought you just said you were going to see this through! When the depot gets upgraded as a result of this, it'll make us all look great!

I'm not helping to make myself look good. I'm helping because it will benefit all of us in this town. I want to take advantage of the depot's improvements once they're done. I'm looking forward to them!

Man... It would've been nice to have you on our team...

We've already come this far. You could finish the rest on your own. I hope Solle approves our plans.

I still think we'd make a better case by starting the first stage of construction right now...

I wonder if that'll be all right... Might as well keep an eye on it. Anyway, by now, Escha's probably making the Flight Gas Jar...oh boy...

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Logy does not look like he's having a good time in those cat ears.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

It's a shame because it looks like a really cool outfit when you ignore the animal accessories.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Well, personally, I think it fits him ameowzingly well.

すごくニャってる

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

Are they really Cat ears, though? Looks more like a Fox to me.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Can't help but notice Escha's pirate costume looks like the Jellyfish Pirates uniform from Guilty Gear, wonder if it's a deliberate reference or a concidence.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Tarezax posted:

Well, personally, I think it fits him ameowzingly well.

すごくニャってる

Double :ughh:. Good job.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
The next update is nearly ready for launch (gotta love the weekends. Can get so much work in), but in the meantime, here's a chance to affect how I play this game. Not to spoil too much, but within the next couple updates we'll be doing some hardcore dragon killing, and the topper is a dragon that the game hypes up as being very strong, and you even get the chance to avoid a fight with it completely by using a special item at its nest.

So, we have a vote here, which will go on until I get to recording the next part of Escha's playthrough, which is just before I would go off to fight that dragon. Do I fight or do I use the special item? Whichever choice doesn't make it will go into Bonus Update 4 as extra content, but feel free to let me know.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Fight it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

You're asking goons this? They'll answer Fight it

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Fight the dragon.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XVII: The Supportive Friend and Confidant

Logy, where were you!? I was about to start making the Flight Gas Jar!

Oh, it's about Awin... You remember him talking to Solle about making improvements to the depot? Well, I was talking to him about it, and I decided to help him out by giving him some materials to begin renovations. I don't know what he'll do next, but I wanted to get him started. If we're going to make a dreadnought, it'll be a good idea to renovate, but I don't know what Solle is going to say.

I see... Brother has always been impatient when it comes to the Maintenance division. Hopefully things will work out. Brother can get careless when he thinks he's right. Anyway, let's get started!

Alright, here I go...

Making the airship fly

...Yeah, that looks good. Now we just have to let it sit, and the gas will generate on its own. It's quite a good job, though. To think it could be done with a cauldron... You've improved, Escha.

R-Really...? Umm... What's this used for, anyway?

We will fill the airship's gasbags with it, and it makes the entire ship light enough to float. We plan to put a lot of other things in the ship, so we have to think of ways to lighten the load.

Wow... That's amazing. This makes the airship fly?

It takes more than that, of course, but it certainly improves the maximum distance and altitude.

Hmm... If I put this into a paper bag, can I make it float, too?

...I suppose you could, but why would you want to do that?

Uh... I thought it might be fun to watch it fly around.

If the gas escapes, it'll fall, and if it ignites, it'll be really bad. I don't think it's a good idea.

I never would have thought you could make it... Are you actually this good, or just lucky? If only this hadn't worked...it would have been that much easier to give up on this entire plan...

Um... Are you angry with me? Did I say something wrong?

N-No, of course I'm not mad at you. It's nothing...

(I'm glad he's not angry... But Logy does seem a little down...) Are you really okay, Logy?

Y-Yeah...anyway, I'm going to get Awin. We need to talk to him about our progress. See you later.

He is kind of upset... I wonder why?

We're going smoothly. Everyone in Engineering is putting the framework together in dry-dock. It's beginning to take shape right now, and I expect we'll be able to move it to R&D's dock in a few days.

The airship's going to be finished soon... I'm getting excited!

No, it's far from complete. From where we are right now, I'd say it's scarcely better than a blimp. Better than a blimp, yes, but nowhere near enough to get us to the floating ruins.

Really...? What else do we need, then?

W-Well, we--

First, we need to complete the prototype. I'll need more time to consider any future problems.

Got it! If you're the one thinking about all this, Logy, then there's nothing for us to worry about!

(Ugh...I wish she wouldn't say things like that. But, there's no use bringing that up now...) ...

(Logy's still looking really scary...) Wait... Why did he run away so suddenly like that?

Escha, I'm going to go help Maintenance put the airship together. I probably can't do much around here, so I'll make sure the frame is put together properly. The end of construction is the most important part.

Oh, so you'll be going for a few days?

Well, at least until the frame's construction is completed.

O-Okay...

*sigh* It's lonely without Logy around. Still, I wonder what the airship is gonna look like...

This was from Harry's From the Wilderness book... Maybe it's something he used on his adventures? Hm...

Scars of the past

Hm, I wonder where Logy is...?

Still... I was hoping I wouldn't have to bring this up, but are you certain these plans are sound? I've seen a great many documents concerning airship design. You were researching them in Central City?

Heh... I should've seen this coming. I'm sure you already know about the accident, too?

Of course. You built a new engine using the latest alchemical tech. You led that research project, yes? The prototype burned to the ground, and one of the pilots was gravely injured.

...! (drat...so he already knows.)

The branch manager showed some concern about whether the airship will have...further accidents.

Well... I was against the idea from the very beginning...

Um... Did something happen before?

You're amazing, Logy! No wonder you know so much about airships!

...I'm not amazing.

W-Wait, Logy! Hey, Micie. Did I say something to make him angry?

...As you heard, Mr. Ficsario designed airships when he worked in Central City. But a young engineer let the engine overheat, leading to an explosion and a large fire...

I never knew that happened to him...

Prototypes are always prone to accidents. Surely the engineers were experimenting themselves. Nonetheless, he undoubtedly feels responsible. He then volunteered to be stationed out here...

I owe you both an apology. I had no idea his history was that grave. This investigation was thoughtless.

You didn't do anything wrong, Micie... No one did.

...I'm terribly sorry.

Ah...! I need to follow Logy! He's been struggling with this by himself this whole time! I have to be there for him!

Music: Consolation

So you heard the story from Micie, right? My last project was an utter failure.

...Can I ask you what exactly happened?

*sigh* It's a long story, but okay...

The engine is an airship's core. When my project was greenlit, I was so happy I worked day and night. I considered those in Maintenance idiots...that they could never understand the engine I was making. So, I decided not to trust them, and I continued researching on my own. But I was wrong. I don't know why I stopped listening, because their questions to me were valid... Even then, there was one more who continued to support me. He said I had to get along with the others... With that attitude, the accident was inevitable.

That's... What happened?

The output of the engine reached critical levels, far too much for the engine block to handle. The energy being generated was far too much, and it exploded, causing a huge fire. It was a miracle there were only a few people working at the dock at the time, but even so, there was severe damage to the research sector the airship was being put together in.

Were you at the dock when it happened?

No, but I could see the fire from a long way away. I rushed back to see what had happened, but the flames were everywhere. I rushed into the dock to try and recover my research notes. I wanted to see where I went wrong, but when I got to my lab, the flames were intense and severely burned my chest and arm. Even worse, the fire destroyed all my research. My only friend tried to put the fire out, and was maimed. He was a pilot, and he'll never fly again. I took his dream away from him. How could I possibly face him now? I was afraid...and I ran away. ...I don't have the right continue this research. ...I don't have the right to continue this research. I don't have the right to fly anymore!

I won't do anything now that I don't think is possible. I have no right to... I shouldn't be trying anything new... I never should have tried at all.

That's... That's not true!

Music: Evening Melody

H-Hey, calm down... Stop pulling on me.

I can't do anything on my own, so we need you... ...If you say that you're not going to do anything, then you're making me completely useless, too!

Haha... That's not something you should be so proud of...

You don't get to tell me that! Not when you're telling me that you're not going to do anything anymore!

Ugh... You have a point there.

Besides, you said you didn't want to build an airship, but here you are, helping us! Without your help, Logy, it would be impossible to dream about going to the Unexplored Ruins!

That ship's far from complete. We need an energy source, and the body hasn't been strengthened at all. ...That's where I failed last time... Where I fell short.

Then, now you have the chance to redeem yourself!

I told you, it's impossible!

You can do it, Logy! I know you can!

How do you know that...? And why are you crying when I'm the one having issues here? If you keep that up, I'm not going to be able to cry, even if I wanted to.

I...I'm not crying! *sniffle*

Okay, fine, you're not crying. I was wrong, please forgive me.

So there are still people out there who would cry for me...after I got cocky and ruined things.

Of course I would! Logy... You're an important friend of ours now!

... Enough. I'll do everything I can. I can still give up when we've exhausted every other avenue.

Logy...?

So, uhh...would you mind helping me out, Escha? Honestly, I'm a little worried, going about it on my own.

Yes! If there's anything I can do for you, I will!

I-I'm sorry...I started crying out of nowhere...

Don't worry about it. I was about to unload a lot off my chest, too... Thanks.

I...really didn't do anything...

Like I said, we're still missing a lot until the dreadnaught is completed. First, let's go see the boss... Would you mind calling on Awin for me?

...Yes! Got it!

...You're stronger than you think, Escha. If there's any way to make it to the Unexplored Ruins, I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Making the frame stronger

Music: A Road Full of Unknown

No, that's only phase one. We're still far from calling it a true dreadnaught as it stands.

What we need now is a reinforced engine that can take a beating. That's the biggest bottleneck.

In other words... We need to do more than collect materials and Synthesize them like we have been?

Yeah, these steps require the raw materials to be of a certain strength. Furthermore, making adjustments to the engine is difficult...even for the most skilled alchemist.

I... I see... I-I'm going to do my best!

It's going to take a lot more than just doing your best, concerning what's at stake here.

We'll discuss the rest back at the depot. Logy, let's take care of business first.

I understand that building an engine can be difficult, but what do you mean by reinforcing it?

If we drop the engine into the ship right now, the body can't handle the power output. It might explode.

Wow... That sounds really dangerous.

There are a few materials that will fit the bill to reinforce it. We'll need to use more rare metals.

So, we'll need to import these metals when we can, and also have the homunculi reproduce them...

I think you know what I'm gonna say, but we're already way beyond our budget.

Th-Then, you mean we need to convince Solle to approve importing the metals...!?

...I'm afraid so.

This just got a lot more difficult. I can't believe we'd come this far, just to run out of money...

It's quite a dilemma. But, I understand. I'll help you convince Solle. I'm sure we'll be able to borrow his homunculi for a little while...

But, on the other hand, if we can overcome this problem, we'll be able to finish the airship, right?

Right... And it's all thanks to everyone's hard work. Let's keep that up.

Yes! Whatever you need Synthesized, leave it to me!

I'll work on recipes and continue the ship's design. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

Ahahaha, then it's just like our normal workflow!

Hm, I guess you have a point there...

Hahaha, you two are a match made in heaven.

It's completely normal, right?

Okay, okay. At any rate, we're almost at the finish line here, guys.

Hey Escha, I've been thinking of ways we could improve how we fight on the battlefield. We already have so many strong allies, we need to keep up with them.

You're right, but how do we do that?

Well, I've come up with a way we can use items at the same time. If we can combine our attack items, I think we can do a lot more damage than we could by working alone. Basically, this is how it works...

Hm, that's really interesting!

Yeah. There's no telling how useful this could be in the future. Well, whenever you want to try it out in a battle, let me know.

Sure! Anyway, what do you want to do about the airship now?

Why don't we go see what Awin has to say about it? If anyone knows what to do next, it would be him.

Stumbling blocks

Safety is a huge concern. If we can't overcome this, then we may have to cancel the entire project.

Is it really that difficult to make an engine?

I've played around with this since I was in Central City... The method of building it is not the issue. What with the accident and everything, you can't blame me for wanting to proceed with caution. Not only that, but with the facilities at our disposal, Escha is the only one who can Synthesize.

Aww... When you put it that way, I'm losing my confidence. But if you're going to support me, Logy, I think I might be able to do it!

Ugh, you really don't have a care in the world, do you? This isn't child's play, do you understand?

Ahaha, I'll do my best. So... What ingredients do we need?

Let's see... There's a lot required of us, but what's most important is a source of energy. What we decide to use as the source will greatly affect our results. We'll need to Synthesize one.

The rate of success there is extremely low, which makes building an airship very difficult. ...That said, are you going to make the power source yourselves? I'm starting to get a little worried...

Not you too, Brother! From what you two are telling me, it does sound very difficult...

Brother! That's not funny...

Magic... If we could gather materials that way, it would certainly make our jobs easier... ...Hm? It might be a long-shot, but maybe she knows something that could help us.

You mean Miss Wilbell?

Yeah...it's clear from watching her in battle that she has access to an incredibly powerful source of magic herself. If she knows of any materials or places where we could find magical items that generate more energy than normal materials, that would an enormous help.

Uhh...so what you're saying is, we should ask her if she knows of anything?

Basically, yeah.

Oh! I've been meaning to ask: what kind of material should we use to make the engine? Do we have anything that would work right now?

... The only thing I can think of would be the Diamond Gemstones we got from those rats in the desert. That's the only material in our inventory strong enough to withstand the pressures of a high-powered engine like the one we'll need. But at the rate the homunculi can reproduce diamond, the team from Central would have likely arrived by the time they made enough.

No, what we need is an extremely high-quality metal that we can acquire a lot of very quickly, and for relatively little cost. But I wonder if finding something like that is even possible... Anyway, we should just find a source of energy for now. If we can't find a source, then there's no point in continuing to look into this.

(Wow, this is starting to sound nearly impossible...)

The spirit of flames

Oh, it's you, Wilbell. What do you want?

That's no way to greet someone! What's got you in such a bad mood?

S-Sorry, Wilbell... We're actually really busy trying to build our airship right now...

Ah, you did mention that alchemists can't fly through the skies... That must be really rough.

We're working our butts off to get this dreadnaught built. Ugh, it feels so hopeless...!

Um... Apparently it's really difficult to make the engine for this kind of ship.

What's an "engine"? That sounds like a lot of work.

It is! To put it simply, it's... A machine that transforms heat into a mechanical energy to perform some sort of function. There are many different kinds of engines, but what they have in common is some energy source to drive mechanical processes. The kind of engine an airship needs is an internal combustion engine that uses residual heat from the energy source to drive motors to propel the airship through the sky, which is just a simplistic overview, but I think you get the general idea. Did it make sense?

(Heh heh...not to me...)

Hmm... I have no idea about the inner workings, but the bottom line is that you need more firepower?

That's right. And the output isn't very stable when we use normal materials.

I see, I see... Hey, I have an idea. Do you want to make a deal with me?

...You aren't going to suggest lifting the dreadnaught with magic, are you? It's not that simple.

No, no... I happen to have some information that you two may find very interesting.

Hmm, what would that be?

I'm searching for spirits as a part of my training. And I finally got some info on a really strong one.

"The Fire Lord"...? Don't tell me you're suggesting we use a spirit inside the engine!?

I'm trying to say that if you ask that fire spirit, it might know about some very strong materials.

I see... A spirit might know a lot of things that we don't...

However, the Fire Lord appears to be in a foul mood right now. A contract with it may be impossible. So, I want the two of you to get'em back into a good mood. You need that information anyway, right?

Y-You do have a point, and that sounds like a solid lead...

Then it's decided. I'm counting on you two!

...I know it was convenient for us, but are you sure she's not just pawning her work off on us?

Now, now, now... Let's go meet the Fire Lord, shall we?

Hm, actually...it might be a better idea to help out the orchards first. The Fire Lord probably isn't going anywhere, and the orchards are definitely looking worse every day. We need to make some new nutrients, anyway. Let's head back to the atelier.

Oh yeah! I almost forgot about that...

There we go! Let's go deliver ths right away!

Heehee! I can make this now, too! Isn't that amazing?

You're doing really well, Escha. And it looks like you've been learning a lot at the Branch, too. Logy, was it...? As you can see, she can be a little unreliable at times, but look after her for me.

No, she usually ends up helping me more often than not. I need to work on improving myself to keep up.

Is that how you think of me, Logy? Awwww... I'm a little touched!

...Escha, you should learn from Logy and try being a little more modest.

A-haha... Um, let's see what else we need to do here. Escha, what do you think?

Well, the nutrients we delivered are fine, it's just the land could use a boost in fertility. If we made some good quality fertilizer, I'm sure it would help. Father gave me the recipe to make some fertilizer when we talked to him about the situation. Let's head back and make it.

Just right!

Yeah, that looks perfect. Let's go give it to Faul.

Mother wouldn't make these...?

Hmm... To be quite honest, I have no idea what it is your mother did! Haha.

It looks like we've done everything we could... Thank you very much. I've seen how hard you can work.

Then... Do you think we passed?

Yes, I have absolutely no complaints. I'm impressed you could make so many new things, Escha. Or perhaps it is because you had an excellent tutor, hmm?

Hahaha, I didn't do anything, really. This was all thanks to Escha's efforts.

I see. Well then, I want to give the both of you my deepest thanks once more. I'm sure these supplies will allow us to hold over the apple orchard for a while.

Oh, awesome. Let's go report back to Miss Marion right away!

Well then, if you'll excuse us.

The village to the north is leaving because of the drought... Do you think the same might happen here?

...In any case, all we can do now is no more or less than our best. We must ensure these crops live on.

Oh, Wilbell, what's wrong? You look a little down.

I wouldn't call it "down", but... I was thinking about Nio's older sister. I used to know her, and I was just wondering where she could be wandering around. She's hopeless.

Nio's sister, huh? I remember you said that you were looking for her.

When we first met, I thought she was like me, but she turned out to be an alchemist like you two. I never thought there would be an alchemist in that region. I hadn't seen any besides her.

So Nio's sister is an alchemist, too? What was she like?

A little airheaded, maybe a little random and unreliable...

I see. She does sound similar.

Hey, that's not true!

Haha, I'm just joking.

She was a strange girl who talked about medicine and plants and weird things like that. Oh, and she was really pretty. I don't think I've seen anyone better looking than her.

Hmm, is that so...

Why do you sound so interested in that part, Logy?

It's a waste, though. She was completely unaware of it. It's better than being full of yourself. She's also too serious, and I think she's being tricked by a weird old man, so to be honest I'm worried.

A weird old man... That alone has me worried now...

Yeah. I think she's okay, though. She seems to owe him a lot, too. But, no matter how hard I look, it's impossible to find her.

Really. We could help you search for her, too...

No, don't worry about it. It'd just be nice if I found her, that's all. I was just wondering what she could be up to while I'm here in this town.

Hmm... It would be nice if you could meet this old friend of yours.

Wilbell seems very fond of her friend.

Hm? Why do you say that?

The way her eyes looked when she was talking about her friend. That's a look you only have for people you like a lot. Hopefully they'll find each other again.

Yeah...I hope so, too.

Looks like that's where we'll be going next. Maybe we didn't do enough to help...

Oh no...

Awin should get a new hammer, first. He's been the using he's using right now for a long time.

...There's no one here.

Wh-What do you suppose this means...?

We couldn't do anything about the water problem, so I guess all the villagers packed up and left.

Oh, no... if only we were better alchemists... Maybe we could've done something!

No, I think this is a completely separate issue. Alchemy can't solve all the world's problems. Sometimes, there's just nothing you can do. We can't blame ourselves for what happened here.

I know... I know that, but...

I know...me, too.

Hey Escha, I was thinking...if the water has all dried up, that must mean we can investigate the bottom of the well. I wonder what's down there...?

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 16, 2014

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

drat, that's heavy, Logy.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I started reading this and it's a cute game. Is it just me, or does Harry look a little like Varrick from The Legend of Korra?

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

I know not a lot of folks click the videos in screenshot LPs, but you need to see the one where they're talking to Wilbell. They way she and Logy both make fun of the :airquote:Fire Lord!:airquote: is pretty great and completely out of nowhere.

Robindaybird posted:

Can't help but notice Escha's pirate costume looks like the Jellyfish Pirates uniform from Guilty Gear, wonder if it's a deliberate reference or a concidence.

I was torn between that or Maya from Threads of Fate, mostly just from the hat and the novelty of a semi-obscure game referencing another. Johnny's crew almost all wear shorts, so I don't think it's them either. It's actually called "Apple Pirate," so my best guess is generic sailor suit plus One Piece reference (closest guess there being Roger) for plausible deniability, since of course the real reason this exists is so fanboys from Famitsu can toggle between cleavage and midriff. :v:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah I'd like it a lot more if it had some proper pants and a shirt. The colours are nice though.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Wayne posted:

I know not a lot of folks click the videos in screenshot LPs, but you need to see the one where they're talking to Wilbell. They way she and Logy both make fun of the :airquote:Fire Lord!:airquote: is pretty great and completely out of nowhere.

Not to deny it's funny, but I've always thought it was perfectly in character for someone like Wilbell to make fun of a dramatic name like "Fire Lord". And of course, Logy has to play along.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This airship is a pretty neat game-long quest, just because so many people can end up getting involved with it.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XVIII: The Overeager Mechanic and Engineer

Hm, you were right, Logy... We should be extra careful if we're going to explore the bottom of the well.

Music: In a Place Where People Once Were

This place is bone dry... There's no trace of water here.

If there was water down here before, then these monsters must have come here recently.

Yeah. Probably to stay out of the heat.

Hm, this area is a bit bigger. Let's be careful...

Ah! Watch out!

Bugs in the deep

Man, that lead bug is really strong... This could take a while.

Escha, watch out for when it charges!

Awin is going to need some help.

This bug is really strong...

Escha, let's try a Double Draw!

Right! I'll select my Eis Ice Bomb!

Wow, you were right, Logy!

Go for it, Brother!

Music: Mugendai Chronicle

Whew...that was a hard fight.

You said it...anyway, we should check out more of this cavern.

This is another lithograph, Logy!

That's nice. Try putting it together with the other one we found. We might discover something.

Well, I'm about ready to go. Unless you have anything left, Escha?

Hmm....no, I can't think of anything. We might want to come back here, though.

Well, we've completed another assignment, but we have a lot to do until we've finished everything.

Let's see...

Gather Water, River Water, and Black Water during the assignment period.

Synthesize a Medical Bandage.

Go an investigation with the Divine Jar, Lava Cube, and Living Bomb.

Deliver some of Lucille's medical bags to an official in town.

Deliver a Music Box with the Terrible Tone effect to someone on the docks.

Deliver some soup to someone in town.

Deliver feathers / animal parts to someone in town.

Deliver some Gunade Rings to an official in town. We only need one if it has the Divine Speed effect.

Deliver Bombs to an official in the Southern Ruins. The more powerful the better.

Deliver some cold items to an official in the Searing Wastes.

Defeat the Bloodstained Saber in the Slag Graveyard.

So we've got a lot to deliver this time.

That's one down!

And that's another! Time to head back and start working on the others.

It's a lot easier to clean without Escha around. I have to make sure this place is always looking good in case Mr. Grumman wants to do a surprise inspection.

Linca, is something wrong?

I just made it. Could you please take a look at it?

...Please try some.

Well, I'll have a bite... Mmph... Huh? What is this?

How is it? I want your honest opinion.

It feels...gritty. Did you make a mistake with the recipe?

I knew it! I don't have any idea where I could have gone wrong, though.

I see... Unfortunately, I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to cooking, either. I think you'd be better off asking Escha about stuff like this.

I suppose that's an option. Very well, I'll ask her later.

Sorry I couldn't be much help. Is this another mission that Marion gave you?

Yes. I'm studying how to cook, but I don't seem to be making much progress. At least it looks like it's supposed to now...

Cooking... I wonder what it is that separates good cooks from regular people.

As do I. Whatever it is, I'm missing it. If only I could figure it out, even just a little...

That voice... Reyfer... No, nobody's calling you. Least of all the two of us.

C'mon now, don't be like that. Hey, sword girl, watcha got there? Let me have a taste of that.

Go ahead, but I can't recommend it.

Oh, I don't mind. I'll just have a bite... Hm, it's...huh. You're missing something important.

D-Do you know what!? Please tell me.

...What? Seriously!?

I...never even thought about that. I didn't try adding any seasonings to it.

Haha, this is a time for my favorite oil sauce. Any food instantly turns delicious if you put a bit of this on it.

Oil sauce... That sounds very useful. Let me try it! I see... So the proper seasoning can correct any culinary mistakes!

No, you don't want to put oil sauce on that... (...She's not even listening anymore. Should I really leave her like this? Linca can really be a lot of trouble. Then again, I've never been much of a cook either...) Oh! I should probably tell Solle about what's been going on with Awin. It's better if he knows about Awin's plans before this gets out of hand.

Awin? No... I haven't spoken to him in a while, really. Has something happened?

Hmm... I helped him finish the blueprints for his plan to modify the airship depot. Strange that he hasn't showed them to you, though. I wonder if there was something missing.

Is that so...? It's troublesome when he goes off on his own... You're a meddler too, aren't you?

I asked for his help. And it was good help at that. I've really been giving it some thought, and the depot does need an upgrade. Take a look at this.

Ugh... You're always doing these things on your own. As I've said, due to budgetary constraints...

Whatever we can do, it will help! Please, just take a look at it for me!

Yes, yes, yes, I understand. Let's see here... ...Hm, I see. Well, nothing leaps out at me right now. ...Oh? It's actually a much better design than I thought.

Really? Then, do you think we'll get the budget we need?

I'll have to crunch some numbers on my end, but it's possible that we can do this on a per-stage basis. Since you haven't run off and started by yourself without approval, I'll see what I can do.

H-Huh...? O-Oh, right... Yeah. Of course I'd never start on it without the proper approval!

Music: Big-Breasted, Melancholic Woman

Whoa! What the heck's going on?

I think the pulley on one of the depot's new foundations came off! Heizman says he should be able to take care of it, but he wants to look at the blueprints...!

Oh, man... I thought we'd anchored that thing really well, but I guess not. Hang tight, I'll come right over...

Excuse me? What was that about a "new foundation"!?

Awin, don't tell me that you...!

Whoa! S-Solle, um, this is...!

Welllll, you know that if I start explaining now, we'll both be here all day. I'm going to go see-- That is, what's happened is, um...

What!? No! You just said you'd try to approve it a few seconds ago!

Ooops... I guess it wasn't a good idea to start construction on our own...

What the heck were you guys doing...? Come on, Escha. We have our own work to do.

Y-Yeah... Sorry Brother...

Really, I know that we need an upgrade to the depot to handle a dreadnought, but Awin gets way too ahead of himself for his own good.

I know... He's always been like this. Remember when he modified that chimney?

Of course... I just have to wonder how well Heizman is managing Maintenance if this kind of thing is allowed to happen. Anyway, are you done with that Synthesis? Let's go see Awin at the depot now that Solle and Awin have had a chance to calm down.

Yeah. I'm ready to go.

I told you so many, MANY times not to get started until you had the proper approval...

In the end, what's going to happen to the depot upgrade?

Solle's pissed at me right now. I tried to convince him otherwise, but the project's cancelled.

I see... That's unfortunate. It would've been nice to see your idea become a reality, you know?

Yeah, it's a shame...but you'll get another chance. C'mon, cheer up.

Thanks, guys. Yeah... It's going to need upgrades eventually, so I'll wait for the next opportunity.

Make sure you submit the proper paperwork and follow the rules next time!

Yeah, yeah. The red tape is important... I think I learned my lesson this time. Oh, right. I haven't been able to give you guys anything in return for all the hard work you did. Since the project got canned, I still have a lot of materials. I was going to give you some of it. I know you two probably have better uses for these materials than I do.

That would be really nice. Are you sure it's all right to just give it to us?

Heizman already said I could, so nobody's going to get in my way this time.

Heh... Well, in that case, we'll take the items we think we can use.

Yeah. It's an offer that's hard to refuse.

Hmm...there's not much that's good for alchemy ingredients, but there are a few things. Can you find anything else, Logy?

No, I think you got everything. Good work.

These Gunade Rings are incredibly powerful. Just wearing it makes you feel like a surge of power is going throughout your entire body.

Wow...you're right.

Yeah! Anyway, I'm going to drop off one of the Rings to the official. I'll be back soon!

Oh, Escha, before you go, I have something to ask.

Oh, sure. What is it?

Has Linca talked to you yet about cooking?

Cooking? No...she hasn't talked to me in a while. Why do you ask?

Oh, no reason...

Do you know if Escha made this? It was just sitting here...

I really don't know.

I see... Well, you probably shouldn't eat this. Don't be fooled by appearances...

What, really? It looks like normal food to me? Wait, were you eating other people's food? Don't complain to me if Marion gets mad at you.

You're right, I shouldn't have done that. Anyway, I'm going to go lay down somewhere.

Oh, was Awin here?

Yeah. I didn't ask him why he came here, but he'll probably be back.

I see...

Wait! Who was eating that food over there?

That would be Awin. ...Did you make that, Linca?

Yes. I tried adding a lot of seasoning, like Reyfer suggested. I thought it turned out well, so I going to have Marion taste it.

Wait, Linca, is the seasoning you used really okay?

I don't think so. I used all the seasonings I found in the kitchen.

...All of them!?

But, this is a problem. Marion should be returning from her meeting soon. I guess I will have to give Marion the portion I was saving for myself.

Do you really intend to give this to Marion?

Of course! I can't complete my mission if I don't make my report to Marion. Also, she has taken good care of me up until now.

Before you feed any of that to Marion, you should try the piece Awin was just snacking on. I don't know much about being a chef, but I do know that they have to try their own dishes.

Is that so? I'd have thought they'd be biased to like their own food. I suppose it does build confidence. Thank you, Logy. I don't know if I made the right decision with this dish, but I will try it.

...I've done all I could. If she tries feeding this to you, Marion, please just give up... More and more I'm glad we don't have to look after Linca while we're in town...

Logy, I just passed Brother. He had in his head in his hand and was just muttering something while walking away...

Oh... He ate some food Linca made for Marion. It...probably didn't turn out very well.

Aww...Linca's trying so hard.

Well, we have a lot to do on this investigation. We have to stop by the Slag Graveyard and defeat the Bloodstained Saber that was rampaging around in the ruins and gather some Black Water. Then, we have to head to the Searing Wastes and deliver some cold supplies to the investigation team in the area, and find the Fire Lord. Do you make sure to prepare some cold supplies?

Yeah! I made two Squash Teas with the Cool effect. It should be a big help with getting through the area.

Alright, well... I think we're ready to go.

Double trouble

Well, at least it's not trying to hide. Let's take it out!

Well, that was pretty simple!

Ah! More enemies!?

Those other monsters don't look that dangerous, but that bear looks incredibly powerful. We need to be very careful around it.

Man...it's so powerful...

Let's do it!

I'm right behind you!

This thing is tough, but we can win.

Whew...that was a very dangerous enemy.

Let's make sure to get some Black Water before we go.

Alright, let's drop off those cold supplies and go see the Fire Lord.

Wilbell told us to find the Fountain of Flame, right?

Yeah. She said it was past the part of the wasteland we went to. If we're going near a spirit with extremely powerful fire magic...

Then it's probably going to be incredibly hot near it. Man...

Raging inferno

Music: Close to the Edge Part 2

According to Wilbell, the Fire Lord is supposed to be here somewhere.

You insolent fool! Have you any idea in whose land you stand?

Wh-What the--!?

Logy, over there!

Eeek! It looks like she's in a REALLY bad mood! We should run away.

Calm down, Fire Lord! Please, tell us what happened!

Humans... You steal the fire from my altar, and yet you have the nerve to speak to me!?

...Altar? Did something happen to your altar?

Um, might you be talking about this? By any chance?

There's nothing inside it. Maybe there used to be something in there?

Now that you mention it, I can see what you mean.

How long do you intend to trespass upon my land!? LEAVE at once!

...Anyway, we'll think about this later. We've got to get out of here.

Right! Let's run, right now!

Whew...that was close.

You said it... Anyway, looks like we need to bring something back to the Fire Lord.

But what? We didn't get to talk to her long enough find out...

Hm...maybe we should ask Wilbell?

Working for the lazy

Do you have any idea what she means, Wilbell?

A long long time ago, it was a practice to build altars to the strongest spirits. I heard that each altar has a jewel that carries the spirit's power.

A jewel? I didn't see anything like that on the altar we saw. Maybe that's what she was talking about?

Someone probably thought it was a treasure and took it away. I'd say that losing the altar's jewel would be reason enough to make her angry...

So we need to get the jewel back and put it back in the altar... Then the spirit will be nice again?

I can't say for certain, but it's worth a shot. Give me a second, and I'll show you how to make one.

M-Make a new jewel!? Isn't this something you should do, Wilbell?

Hm? Well, I suppose I could do it, but...

...So, you don't know how.

Th-That's not true! Besides, you guys are always making things! Just whip one up for me, will you!?

I suppose you're right. Thank you very much, Wilbell. We'll try to make one right away.

Now we're talking. I love sweet little girls like you, Escha. Logy, you could learn a thing or two.

Yes, yes... At any rate, this will calm down the Fire Lord, won't it?

That's another delivery. We still have three more.

Whew...that was a scary synthesis.

Hm? It looked pretty normal to me.

Logy! I had to manage a lot of explosive materials. It was really scary!

S-Sorry...anyway, that bomb looks really powerful. I'm sure the investigators in the Southern Ruins will find a lot of use for a bomb like that.

Yeah! We should be sure to make a lot of copies before we go. Oh, but we also have some of Lucille's bags to deliver to an official in town.

Oh yeah, almost forgot about that.

There we go. 24 more days until the assignment is over...we might not make it.

Alright, only one more to go. We might as well head back and try to make the jewel for the Fire Lord.

Phew...we're not getting any time to relax.

I know how you feel, but let's just keep going.

Hey Logy, I want to make something else first. It'll really help up on investigations in the future!

What is it?

It's the Heavenly Spirits! It's a magical plant that if you wave it in the air, you'll feel like you leave your body, and you'll instantly return to any point you choose. So if we set the atelier as the point we choose...

...We can instantly come back here after we finish our investigation... That does sound incredibly helpful.

Right! The only problem is the synthesis for it takes a long time... Eight days.

That long!?

Yeah, the synthesis is really specific... I can't make any mistakes.

Well, whatever you have to do... Oh, and the homunculi are duplicating those Dire Bombs. As soon as you're done with this synthesis, Escha, we can probably go pick them up.

Hm, this part, I can leave the synthesis going. Let's get something to eat.

Are you sure it's going to be okay?

Yeah. I just have to leave the synthesis going right now.

Oh, my sword got a little bent. To be honest, there's nothing I can do with alchemy here. Awin's probably the only one who can fix it. Let's go to the Balloon Docks.

I didn't know alchemy swords could get bent...

"Specs..."? I haven't heard that in a while. What can I help you with?

Yeah, y'see... My partner here ain't doin' so hot, so I was hopin' you could take a look-see at her.

Your partner? Oh, your gun. Sure, let me see... Looks like the barrel was slightly out of alignment. I've made some adjustments, so it should be fine.

You're a lifesaver. I know how to do some general maintenance on 'er, but nothing specific.

Well, I'm not exactly a firearms specialist, either. I just did what I think would help. I mean, I don't even know how to work with metal this thin in the first place.

Heh, I see. Well, I've just been using what I found in the ruins, that's all.

Hey, Reyfer, you travel all around the world, right?

Why so curious? You wanna switch careers to the glamorous life of a treasure hunter, Specs?

I'd go with "Explorer" more than "Treasure Hunter". Isn't traveling around the world exhilarating?

It sure is! There's really no other profession that's as cool as this. You sure know your stuff.

Aha, the old legend, huh? Okay, okay... I've always admired that particular story... But, uh, I've never actually heard of it before. I was hoping you could tell me all about it.

I see... I thought you might know something about it...

Well, legends and treasure go hand in hand. I'm gonna see if I can find out more about this "edge".

Really? That would be amazing! Thank you very much!

Oh, there you are, Brother!

My gun wasn't shootin' so straight, so I had good ol' Specs here take a gander at 'er for me.

Really...? Wow, you know how to repair guns, too, Brother!?

Honestly, I was just going by intuition. I mean, I could see how it was supposed to work.

Well then, I've taken care of my business here, so I'll be takin' off. Let's work hard and see if we can make our dreams come true, eh, Specs?

...He was in a pretty good mood. I wonder what's gotten into him?

So... What do the two of you want?

Oh, right. About this thing right here...

Hey Logy, have we talked about guns before? I know I've heard that word, but I can't remember when.

Yeah. Remember when I made that gun for Reyfer?

Mr. Reyfer calls his weapon a "gun", huh?

I think they're found in the ruins. I've seen other officials using them from time to time. I think I saw antique pair in Marion's office one time...I don't know if she still uses them, though. Anyway, the mechanism is pretty simple. When you press this switch here, called the "trigger", it ignites what's called gunpowder in the barrel and fires out bullets at very high speed. Anyone can learn how to fire.

If all you have to do it pull the trigger, then I think even I could use that!

No, it's actually really difficult to aim, and the kick-back is powerful. It's not for amateurs. Besides, the bullets can't be reused, so it costs money to keep it supplied with ammunition.

Wow, that must be really tough, then. A weapon that costs money every time you shoot it...

Hey there, you said you were finished with my weapon? Let's give 'er a little look.

Mr. Reyfer, do you mind if I ask you something?

Yeah? What's that...? You know I don't give out my age, right?

No, not that... Why do you use a gun as your main weapon?

It's so I can keep myself out of danger when I'm travelin' by myself. I can pick off enemies from far off, and it makes a lot of noise to scare other beasties away. When you're on your own, you want to avoid as many battles as you can.

Hmm, I suppose that makes sense.

I know I look tough, but I'm not the fiercest dude around. I buy my courage with money.

You're saying that the bullets are your courage? That sounds like something you'd say...

Ooooh yeah! That was a long time ago...

Alright, that's all requests completed for this assignment. That was way too close. Let's try using the Heavenly Spirits.

Hang on tight!

Whoa...it was like I left my body there...

Yeah...that was strange!

Those Heavenly Spirits are incredible...maybe the souls of the fairies we put into the synthesis can move from one place to another instantly?

It's kinda scary to think about...

This looks great. I sure hope the Fire Lord likes this.

I still can't believe we're calling it that.

Well, what else should we call it?

It's just, ah...don't worry about it.

*yawn* Logy, I think we should take a break. We only have two days left until the end of the assignment, and we've done everything.

Yeah, good idea. I need to start working on specs for the dreadnought with Awin. I have to make sure the proposed design is okay.

*gasp* So that means you'll know what it looks like before it's done!?

Um...I guess...

No fair!

Escha, c'mon! We have to go turn in our final report!

Ah! Coming!

Wow, we've already been working here for three years.

That's right! I can't believe how fast time's passing...

When I was in Central City, one year felt like forever.

...I remember time used to fly by when we were doing something fun... My work was a lot better, too. Now, the time flies no matter what I'm doing, and I'm left in the dust... How did I manage back then? I blink an eye, and suddenly it's my birthday. Then I focus on work, and suddenly another year's gone.

Oh, that's nice! It makes you feel like every day is your birthday!

(Marion can get pretty angry easily... Is that what happens when you get older?)

Eek! Why are you so afraid of birthdays?

Escha... You'll understand one day. I promise you.

R-Really...? I don't get why you're mad at me...

I get your meaning, but I've never heard of someone who describes birthdays with such...fervor.

Okay. It's time to see how you did last period... We've reclaimed quite a bit of the apple orchard, and it's stabilized! This is better than I expected.

Heeheehee... Soon... We'll have so many apples...

This settles the apple orchard incident, then. It's important to protect your region's specialty.

They're something that the people here take a lot of pride in, you know? You guys did a great job. You've taken care of some other tasks, too, I see. Very good. Let's keep this up and keep growing. Now, I'm going to give you your assignment for this next period.

...Huh? Aren't these the ruins that you asked us to explore a little while ago?

That's correct. After you first investigation, we discovered that they actually go much deeper. And, while others were exploring, they appear to have awakened a giant Slag down inside the ruins.

S-So... You want us to kill the Slag? That's a pretty straight-forward assignment.

Well, there's the added bonus of getting to explore the ruins, but I don't want that Slag to get out. We don't need it terrorizing the town, so it's a high priority. Promise me you'll be safe, though!

O-Okay... I wonder if we can really defeat the huge Slag...?

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 19, 2014

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
To get some discussion going so we can move this thread to page six before the next update is done, I have a question for everyone who read the Ayesha LP / played Ayesha: how do you feel about this game as compared to Ayesha so far?

If you were to ask me, I'd say Ayesha had the better atmosphere (though it's certainly true Ayesha was going for something completely different than this game), but this has better gameplay. The alchemy system, in particular, is much more streamlined. It took a long time for the Ayesha alchemy system to open up, but the ability to customize your weapons and attack items happens much sooner in this game, and it's a lot easier to understand.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Sylphid posted:

To get some discussion going so we can move this thread to page six before the next update is done, I have a question for everyone who read the Ayesha LP / played Ayesha: how do you feel about this game as compared to Ayesha so far?

If you were to ask me, I'd say Ayesha had the better atmosphere (though it's certainly true Ayesha was going for something completely different than this game), but this has better gameplay. The alchemy system, in particular, is much more streamlined. It took a long time for the Ayesha alchemy system to open up, but the ability to customize your weapons and attack items happens much sooner in this game, and it's a lot easier to understand.

I like this one more, though I don't really think I can explain why.

Also, you're missing one of Logy's image tags sometime after you make the Gunade Rings.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Well, mostly I'm following the story, though I really liked the upgrading the town aspect in Meruru as I'm a sucker for that mechanic in games. However, I'm liking the story in this one better than Ayesha. The brother/sister interaction between the protagonists, and the interaction with the town folks seem more like the Rorona games, and I like that.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
This seems better than Ayesha in just about every way. Return of Mana Khemia combat!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I like this combat more than Ayesha's, but I think I liked Ayesha's characters more. I kind of liked the more serious approach to characters like Keithgriff and Juris, since they had their own missions and issues they needed resolved. This one doesn't feel the same.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
On the one hand, it felt like we saw a lot more of the world in Ayesha, which was great. Being able to bounce between different hubs was interesting, and stopped the game from feeling stagnant. In this game, all the attention is focused on Colseit so it's not as... attention-catching? On the other hand (and this may just be the way you write it), I love the friendship between Escha and Logy.
I'd have to go with Ayesha as my preferred game though. I should maybe get it some time, haha.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Also, having two playable characters probably helps if you want to replay. You get a few different scenes, etc. I suppose.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I'm finding myself caring more about these characters, it helps that I really want to see them all be happy. :3:

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Wentley posted:

Also, having two playable characters probably helps if you want to replay. You get a few different scenes, etc. I suppose.

Especially since you have to play through the game twice, one with one character and then "New Game+" with the other, to get the true ending. Every character has the same setpiece scenes (Lucille with the homunculi, for example), but some of them will differ slightly depending on who you're playing. As a rule of thumb, if Sylphid shows a scene with both alchemists, it's the same either way; if it's just one, there's a parallel scene for the other character.

I genuinely like that idea, that it's just fresh enough to keep you going and see new things (and if you're replaying an Atelier game, chances are good you're invested :v: ). I just wish they'd done, you know, anything at all to differentiate the gameplay, like higher difficulty or something. My brother and I just now made it to assignment 9 in our second playthrough, and parts of it have been agonizing.

Reyfer wanting to put hot sauce on pie makes me legit curious as to how that would turn out. I love spicy food too, but definitely in the "desserts should taste like desserts" camp, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I love that you're using alchemy to make a replacement priceless jewel artifact that a spirit is missing.

It's like, somewhere else this would be a sidequest possibly involving comedic bandits, but here? LET'S MAKE SOME poo poo.

• Locked thread