Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
opposing counsel uses aol e-mail address.

over under bet on how long before I get an e-mail in comic sans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

mikeraskol posted:

:lol: this article

Law schools attended by people in that article: Yale, Harvard, NYU, U of M, UVA... it's almost like there is a pattern...

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev

ActusRhesus posted:

I got one in Papyrus once.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

evilweasel posted:

At the schools you were suggesting you'd go to you'd have wretched job prospects.

Maybe they're exceptions but the lawyers I know down here went to like SC/UGA/Emory/Florida/Kentucky. Vandy seems to be the best one in the region but the people I know there mostly got the hell out of the South. That's why I'm asking in this thread and not those people, though. I brought up Georgia State only because ATL listed it in the top 50 when the weighed for career opportunities. They have UGA 19th.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 19, 2014

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

tadashi posted:

Maybe they're exceptions but I know a lot of lawyers down here and all of them went to like SC/UGA/Emory/Florida/Kentucky. Vandy seems to be the best one in the region but the people I know there mostly got the hell out of the South. That's why I'm asking in this thread and not those people, though. I brought up Georgia State only because ATL listed it in the top 50 when the weighed for career opportunities.

Anyone you know that is a lawyer down there more than likely went to those schools. That's not the point. What you aren't seeing is the thousands of other people who went to those schools that don't have jobs. You aren't seeing the amount of debt that people have coming out of a school like Emory or Vandy, the three years of salary lost while you are at law school instead of working, and the more than likely crappy salary that you are going to land at a job from one of those schools.

Edit: Maybe people are being slightly too negative here. My advice would be to talk to one or all of these lawyers that you know about what they do on a day-to-day basis. And I mean everything they do, no whitewashed bullshit. Then sit down and think about whether this is a career you actually want to do, or are you just using law school as a placeholder because you don't know what else to do. If you really want to be a lawyer, start prepping your rear end off for the LSAT. If you do well enough there where you can get into a top school, or a good local school with a solid scholarship that isn't based on where you finish in your class, it could be worth it. If you don't get either of those, don't go.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 19, 2014

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

tadashi posted:

Be a lawyer rather than going to law school in order to work in journalism, nonprofit managment, or anything you might find on this list: http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/law-admissions-lowdown/2012/01/23/5-unique-career-paths-for-law-school-grads

Everyone I know who has gone to law school has told me they ended up with a different focus than they expected. I expect I'd be looking at IP, corporate, or real estate as those are the three areas that interest me the most from an outside perspective. My justification for looking at law school is that, if I'm basically capped at a certain income for the rest of my life, I would rather make a certain amount of money doing something I find challenging and work with people who challenge me.

You don't get to do the challenging stuff. That goes to the badass attorneys with tons of experience.

You will be proofreading.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

mikeraskol posted:

Anyone you know that is a lawyer down there more than likely went to those schools. That's not the point. What you aren't seeing is the thousands of other people who went to those schools that don't have jobs. You aren't seeing the amount of debt that people have coming out of a school like Emory or Vandy, the three years of salary lost while you are at law school instead of working, and the more than likely crappy salary that you are going to land at a job from one of those schools.

Edit: Maybe people are being slightly too negative here. My advice would be to talk to one or all of these lawyers that you know about what they do on a day-to-day basis. And I mean everything they do, no whitewashed bullshit. Then sit down and think about whether this is a career you actually want to do, or are you just using law school as a placeholder because you don't know what else to do. If you really want to be a lawyer, start prepping your rear end off for the LSAT. If you do well enough there where you can get into a top school, or a good local school with a solid scholarship that isn't based on where you finish in your class, it could be worth it. If you don't get either of those, don't go.

Even though I know there is a gimmick to this thread, it is a good gimmick. What I need to see in order to pursue being a lawyer is to feel like I can't find a reason me not to become one. I am reminded of many reasons I should not just in the last few pages. My least successful lawyer friend who went to a 2nd/3rd tier school has also volunteered many good reasons not to do it after asking him about it again.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ActusRhesus posted:

I'll set the line at 48 hours from the first time you email his paralegal.

I got a [1st][InitialLastname]77@verizon.net the other day.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

I've seen formal demand letters in Comic Sans. I've also gotten a cover letter from an applicant in what I think was Algerian font. Oh yes, and cover letters with tracked changes from somebody else.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Bro Enlai posted:

I've seen formal demand letters in Comic Sans. I've also gotten a cover letter from an applicant in what I think was Algerian font. Oh yes, and cover letters with tracked changes from somebody else.

my only experience with track changes in the legal world was as follows:

Partner: I need you to do a revision on this motion (written by another associate) and I need to know the changes you've made.
Me: OK. *Revises motion in track changes. Prints two versions, one clean, one with changes visible.*
Partner: WHAT ARE ALL THESE REDLINES? WE'RE LITIGATORS, NOT CONTRACT ATTORNEYS! WE DON'T DO REDLINES! WRITE ME A MEMO!!!!!

I thank god every day for the preemptive pregnancy discrimination settlement mutually agreed upon decision that I was not a good fit in that environment.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

tadashi posted:

Everyone I know who has gone to law school has told me they ended up with a different focus than they expected. I expect I'd be looking at IP, corporate, or real estate as those are the three areas that interest me the most from an outside perspective. My justification for looking at law school is that, if I'm basically capped at a certain income for the rest of my life, I would rather make a certain amount of money doing something I find challenging and work with people who challenge me.

If the employment market for lawyers is worse today than it was last time I was looking (basically at the start of the recession), then it's probably not for me. The problem in general for me is that it feels like there are a million recent college graduates willing to try to do anything I can do but for a lot less money even if they can't do the job as well as I can. I'm probably not alone in this and it sounds like a lot of people in this thread are on one side or the other of it. I'm very aware of what seniority/experience means in just about every career and law is no different. I'm just trying to explore what my options might be for career shifts without going back and getting a new bachelor's degree.

you're not qualified for IP

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

you're not qualified for IP

*nods* The people from my class who went IP all had masters degrees or PhDs in some STEM discipline and were in the top 10% of the class.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Bro Enlai posted:

Not a cover letter or anything, but I was once forced to work with someone who used Heavy Heap for their email font, as well as for a handful of professional documents (including their CV). You probably don't know what Heavy Heap is, because it is literally one of the worst fonts ever designed that actually has letters instead of pictures:

I have no idea what damage someone must have suffered to decide this is a good font that represents them well.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

This thread does not have a gimmick. We legitimately recommend that people not go to law school because for a large portion of us, our friends, or colleagues, it has been a terrible decision. We're not saying this to discourage anyone out of anything but true hatred for the entire system we're stuck as a part of. The horrible moments outweigh the "I'm a badass lawyer" moments by orders of magnitude.

You should not go to law school unless you are 100% comfortable with the very real possibility of working as a solo practitioner, hustling family law amd criminal clients, earning less than 30,000/year. If you can honestly say "I'm okay with doing that," then knock yourself out. Otherwise, the risks far outweigh the advantages.

For every HYS grad, there's 100 valpo grads eating alpo.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I'm a UGA grad and after two years I'm delightfully out of the profession and studying STEM. Tadashi if you want to PM me about UGA go ahead. I will say in advance that my three years at UGA law were the three most miserable of my life, beating out the two years I spent watching my mother die to leukemia.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Soylent Pudding posted:

I will say in advance that my three years at UGA law were the three most miserable of my life, beating out the two years I spent watching my mother die to leukemia.

Add to op please.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

I'm a UGA grad and after two years I'm delightfully out of the profession and studying STEM. Tadashi if you want to PM me about UGA go ahead. I will say in advance that my three years at UGA law were the three most miserable of my life, beating out the two years I spent watching my mother die to leukemia.

I kind of want to give you a hug now.

seriously...way to sucker punch me into showing human emotion.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3301274&userid=25266&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post414414315

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3301274&userid=25266&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post414491661

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3301274&userid=25266&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post414527505

This Could Will Be You

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

Jesus christ.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

This thread does not have a gimmick. We legitimately recommend that people not go to law school because for a large portion of us, our friends, or colleagues, it has been a terrible decision. We're not saying this to discourage anyone out of anything but true hatred for the entire system we're stuck as a part of. The horrible moments outweigh the "I'm a badass lawyer" moments by orders of magnitude.

You should not go to law school unless you are 100% comfortable with the very real possibility of working as a solo practitioner, hustling family law amd criminal clients, earning less than 30,000/year. If you can honestly say "I'm okay with doing that," then knock yourself out. Otherwise, the risks far outweigh the advantages.

He's not kidding. I made 30k last year as a solo.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

For every HYS grad, there's 100 valpo grads eating alpo.

Cannot say this enough. I enjoy my job a lot, but I also make $40k. I'm okay with this; I appreciate the health insurance, time off, and low stress of the job. But I also got REALLY lucky finding this position (I consider $40k lucky at this point).

Getting it was preceded by two years of underemployment, unemployment, living with my parents, and crushing depression. Before I got my current offer, I was going to sign on as an associate with a plaintiff's civil litigation firm for $36k and no benefits. Just because there was absolutely nothing else.

This is not unusual among my former classmates. A very few made it into biglaw. Many are in lovely civil litigation or mortgage foreclosure mills. Some are solos working 7 days a week. One of them is a general manger at a store that sells school uniforms.

A Game of Chess fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 19, 2014

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Adar, I went click happy through your links and found the posts from the Yale/Harvard/my LSAT dick is bigger than yours guy.

Please tell me he still posts.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

tadashi posted:

Even though I know there is a gimmick to this thread, it is a good gimmick. What I need to see in order to pursue being a lawyer is to feel like I can't find a reason me not to become one. I am reminded of many reasons I should not just in the last few pages. My least successful lawyer friend who went to a 2nd/3rd tier school has also volunteered many good reasons not to do it after asking him about it again.

There is a big difference between not seeing a reason to not be a lawyer and having a compelling reason to be one.

I'm very familiar with the Atlanta legal market. I went to Emory for law school, and my girlfriend went to a similarly ranked law school. She works as a corporate associate for one of the top firms in town, and I'm a clerk for a district court judge. While we had good outcomes, we both know tons of people with staggering amounts of debt and basically no job prospects. That alone is a plenty good reason to not be a lawyer. Plus the Atlanta market is dead unless you're a corporate associate with 2-5 years of experience.

Of course, that's totally independent of whether you'd enjoy the work. My girlfriend was at the office from 7-11:30 yesterday. She spent almost the entirety of her day summarizing material contracts and drafting signature pages. I spent my day drafting an order about whether "costs of the action" should be considered "damages" or "costs" in this federal statute with a poorly worded civil cause of action. The draft is 28 pages. Yeah, we both do cool stuff, but there's a lot of extremely tedious work that has to be done perfectly in there too.

My recommendation is help your buddy out with some work for a month or two on the weekends. The best way to find out whether you want to be a lawyer is to do legal work. You have a job, so you can't really work as a paralegal or whatever, but you're an idiot if you don't spend a good chunk of time engaging with actual legal work rather than some notional concept about what attorneys do. Also, you shouldn't be an attorney if you're not willing to set aside 8-12 hours of your weekend as a test run.

I enjoyed law school and I love my current job, but the number of people I know who are happy with their decision to go to law school is minuscule compared to the number of people who regret it.

For example, here's what happened to the people from my high school who went to law school:
1. HYS, going to work at a super elite firm (wachtell or a susman Godfrey level boutique). Good if you have no interests in life other than billing hours and money, has ongoing issues with anxiety and depression
2. Georgetown, lobbyist
3. Boston college, unemployed and no desire to practice
4. Stetson, unemployed and no desire to practice
5. St. Thomas, doubling down on his bad decision by getting an LLM in tax at a bad school
6. Harvard JD/MBA, no interest in practicing law, just wants the JD for shits and giggles, will work in private equity or finance after he graduates.
7. Pepperdine, working at a lovely divorce firm, hates it
8. UF, unemployed
9. UF, regional mid law firm but hates it
10. GW, couldn't get a job, had a mental breakdown and was briefly institutionalized
11. Miami, job with a lovely medmal defense firm, don't know whether she likes it

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

What happened to that Harvard dude that posted in this thread that had a mental breakdown of sorts and was in some drug addict halfway house?

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

mikeraskol posted:

What happened to that Harvard dude that posted in this thread that had a mental breakdown of sorts and was in some drug addict halfway house?

He's a sovereign citizen now, I guess?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Even though I like my job and get paid decently (not great), I'm thinking about just hanging around until my state retirement vests (3 more years!) and applying to a 10-month Masters in Analytics program. If you're thinking about law school, maybe just skip the middleman and do that instead.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Omerta where (region) did you go to hs? I'm literally the only person from my graduating class to go to grad school, let alone law school after that.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Tadashi, you said you do something IT related, right? Go work your butt off networking to find an IT position internal to a decently sized lawfirm. It will give you a close up view of lawyering and if you do decide to go to law school you'll have a huge leg up with professional networking.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

CaptainScraps posted:

He's not kidding. I made 30k last year as a solo.

Yeah but you get to litigate and build Lego dicks.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ActusRhesus posted:

*nods* The people from my class who went IP all had masters degrees or PhDs in some STEM discipline and were in the top 10% of the class.

You can do it with a bachelors in an engineering discipline (IT does not count) and experience as an engineer, though an advanced degree helps for sure. I went the BS+experience route.

CaptainScraps posted:

You don't get to do the challenging stuff. That goes to the badass attorneys with tons of experience.

You will be proofreading.

And with my BS+experience, now working at a large IP lit firm, today I spent 3 hours going through our invalidity trial evidence and writing down which pages we have already decided we want to use so that we can file a notice telling the court which pages we want to use at trial.

Doing IP litigation is great.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Yeah but you get to litigate and build Lego dicks.

I got paid with a sword today, fuckers. A good day.

I am not going to post what I made this year. Don't ask.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 19, 2014

DevilStick
Aug 13, 2012

CaptainScraps posted:

I am not going to post what I made this year. Don't ask.

Please point on the doll to indicate where your client thrust his sword.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

CaptainScraps posted:

Goon clients?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Do you also accept M'ladys?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

from the Michael brown thread:

Anorexic Sea Turtle posted:

Here's a topic of actual discussion:

How the gently caress can the prosecuter involved literally hand all their power to indict over to a grand jury? I get that it's probably going to be the prosecutor just parroting whatever the grand jury says, I just don't get how someone can literally pass their job to someone else.

As a STL native, it sickens me how many times our elected officials flat out don't do their jobs or claim it's too difficult. I don't know if anyone remembers the puppy mill bill, but I remember one of the chief complaints with why the bill was so terrible being "it's just too hard to make a bill that explicitly removes puppy mills." That's like saying, "I'm not going to do this work because it's too hard." Anyone else in any other job would just be fired, but instead we keep electing morons who sit on their hands.

Edit: phone posting

I AM OUTRAGED ABOUT SOMETHING I CLEARLY DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!!!!!

Also lulzworthy: But they're just reading instructions on the law to the grand jury but not suggesting charges. Uhm...

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Come and play my lord

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

ActusRhesus posted:

I AM OUTRAGED ABOUT SOMETHING I CLEARLY DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!!!!!

D&D in a nutshell, really.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

How do I bill playing master of iron for three hours today?

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

ActusRhesus posted:

Our court has people on staff who use comic sans. For letters.

I cringe.

(I've been using Century lately, but it won't print in italics unless I save it as a PDF and then print the PDF. So I might be in the market for something new.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

tadashi posted:

Basically what he posted is absolutely correct. There are people from those schools who go on to become successful lawyers every single year. The issue is, there's not very many of them compared to the number that go. Your reason for wanting to go to law school essentially boils down to you want to be successful and work with other successful people. You have a very low chance of doing that going to those schools, much less than other options you have open to you (and here I'm not just defining success as $$$). If you always wanted to be a lawyer and you just must be a lawyer then it could start looking better, but you don't really seem to have that: you seem like you would be very unhappy as a relatively unsuccessful lawyer. This isn't like being a doctor where as long as you graduate, you're set.

Honestly you seem to just have that sort of ennui where you don't know what you want to do with your life, which is completely understandable. The issue is, the people who get into law because of that are universally miserable.

The other thing is you seem like you're at least 30-35: you've got 10 years of experience, college, and an MBA. So you're going to what, spend three years in law school, a few years minimum learning on the job, and you're what, 40-45? You're now stuck, you're too old to change careers. This is about your last shot at it so find what you really want to do, and do that. If you have no idea, stick with what you're doing now: you have an infinitely greater chance of success with 10 years of experience in a field than as an aspiring lawyer.

You will also have an incredibly difficult time getting a job not just because it's difficult getting a job because you got a BA in theater, then did network management, then got an MBA and (i assume) went back to network management. You're going to come off as someone who is just bouncing around looking for something and who is unlikely to stay. That's death as a new lawyer because people out of law school know nothing: your first job is basically investing in you hoping you'll stick around once you become useful. If I'm reading what I imagine your resume looks like, it'd get binned no matter what your experience is because I think you'd get dissatisfied and leave within a few years.

My suggestion for you would be to look to join a start-up company or the like. You've got background that will be useful, it'll be challenging as all hell, and if you're tired of it the company will probably go under soon anyway so you go find a new one. And if you want to go do something else, that won't look aimless it'll look like you took a shot at something that didn't pay off.