Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I got Ipecac, then Soy Milk, and then picked up Proptosis. I went from a constant stream of exploding tears to the attack buttons making my face explode. Nothing shot out even a pixel; pressing the attack button just caused an explosion centered directly on Isaac's head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

BJPaskoff posted:

I got Ipecac, then Soy Milk, and then picked up Proptosis. I went from a constant stream of exploding tears to the attack buttons making my face explode. Nothing shot out even a pixel; pressing the attack button just caused an explosion centered directly on Isaac's head.

+Pyromaniac :getin:

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Yeah, proptosis has some interesting interactions, if you get it from 3 dollar bill it doesn't even give you the damage up when it triggers, just the huge damage falloff/low range. I've pretty much sworn off the three dollar bill after I had that trigger on the heart once.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I had tiny planet and my tears physically wouldn't reach the wall spiders shooting shotgun blasts from across the chasm. I could've teleported to the hidden room with a tarot card but what if the boss door was on the other side? I went to sleep thinking it's hopeless. I wake up and wait I can just bomb my way out. I take some damage trying but I left. Then I picked up the treasure room thing. I thought it was the "shoot two at a time" pickup but it was the short range mega tears one. Combined with tiny planet that's pretty loving terrible. They don't even reach a full orbit anymore. I lost when I teleported to a room with those invincible stone blood spitters that only shut off when you kill the invincible walking skulls who follow you around and barf blood alternatively so you never can safely take them out.

99% of this game is memorizing what never to pick up.

a bloody icon
Apr 22, 2012

I actually love Tiny Planet, but here's a little tip from me to you: never loving pick up both Ludovico Technique and Tiny Planet. Rip my run.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I remember one of the questions Ed answered during development was the mix of rooms he designed, and he mentioned "trap" rooms. At the time I kinda wondered what kind of rooms these would be. Now it's really loving obvious which rooms are just traps.

The worst is a room in Sheol with a bunch of brimstone turrets, a few immobile skull monsters, and not much of a walkway. Not that flight helps in that room with the way the turrets shoot their beams. I'd say that room can burn in hell, but it's already there.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
At least those are rare and hopefully you're overpowered/ have flight by that point. I can't stand the large room you get so much in the first few levels that's just a box of indestructible blocks with spike traps circling it, I never fail to take damage on it.

Actually all the passive obstacle rooms suck when you have to go through them multiple times, I never pay attention on cleared rooms so I just blindly walk into something.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Is there any actual good reason to pick up My Reflection? It halves your range no matter what it currently is because of the tears bending and if you have an explosive shot it can easily get you to kill yourself. :geno:

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Man, never give up on a run. Started as Maggy; first floor Spoon Bender - kind of lame but I'll take it. Second floor Dead Sea Scrolls. :what: Then traded two hearts for Brimstone in a devil room, that was a good start. Then traded another two hearts for Mom's Knife. Then found a compass and the Mitre in a shop but I didn't have any money for either. A few rooms later stumbled on a Credit Card. :haw: Then found the Book of Revelations, and then spectral tears.

Sorted out my Maggy Cathedral and Chest runs.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I give up on any run where I get soy milk or the world to start because gently caress that I'm not wasting two hours on a single run which might not be successful

Seriously gently caress those two items

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Koramei posted:

At least those are rare and hopefully you're overpowered/ have flight by that point. I can't stand the large room you get so much in the first few levels that's just a box of indestructible blocks with spike traps circling it, I never fail to take damage on it.

Actually all the passive obstacle rooms suck when you have to go through them multiple times, I never pay attention on cleared rooms so I just blindly walk into something.

The issue is he was right that backtracking was a bad problem in the game. The problem was exacerbated by not fixing the backtracking, just punishing you moreso with hearts rather then just time when you do so now. The correct solution would have been to make these trap rooms disable or weaken after you clear them once (say, spawn an offswitch for some spikes on the room after you enter it for the first time) and make the room generation still produce branches, but lead to more loop shaped routes that allowed you to get back to a branch youve been to before but whilst continually moving forwards.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I found the quarter in a pot! I didn't know that could happen! You can also find blood clot or the umbilical cord in rocks in the womb/utero and the liberty cap in mushrooms.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
You can also find Ghost Baby and Dry Baby inside skulls. It seems every different rock tile replacement has its own pool of items to draw from.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

skulls can also contain things like the dry baby and ghost baby. skulls contain a lot of good poo poo, to be honest.

e: 2 slow

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

a bloody icon posted:

I actually love Tiny Planet, but here's a little tip from me to you: never loving pick up both Ludovico Technique and Tiny Planet. Rip my run.

Yeah, that combo wasn't a run-ender for me but in all fairness I had a pretty strong tear, Guppy mode, and I think Daddy Longlegs already that run. Definitely awkward enough to recommend against combining the two though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Mushrooms also drop pills which can either be cool or crap depending on your playthrough's pill setup, and basically all types of rocks except for poop and normal grey rocks can explode into an 8-way shot of some kind that hurts you because lol gently caress fairness and things making any kind of sense.

Speaking of which, I'm so loving sick of The Lost but I am determined to 100% this game because I drink lots of alcohol at night!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
^^ mushrooms also drop magic mushroom. if you have the bombs, blow up everything. especially with the trapdoors they added that can be under any rock

zolthorg posted:

The issue is he was right that backtracking was a bad problem in the game. The problem was exacerbated by not fixing the backtracking, just punishing you moreso with hearts rather then just time when you do so now. The correct solution would have been to make these trap rooms disable or weaken after you clear them once (say, spawn an offswitch for some spikes on the room after you enter it for the first time) and make the room generation still produce branches, but lead to more loop shaped routes that allowed you to get back to a branch youve been to before but whilst continually moving forwards.

I really respect Ed as a game designer for the most part, but I do feel there are some really poor choices in how Isaac is designed- the main one being just how many self sacrifice items and objects there are (and how Ed himself has said that's his favourite playstyle), but rather than the game giving you risk/reward for it, it just punishes you for using them since you won't be able to get any devil rooms.

also hardmode blows, it's not harder, just more tedious.

CJacobs posted:

Is there any actual good reason to pick up My Reflection? It halves your range no matter what it currently is because of the tears bending and if you have an explosive shot it can easily get you to kill yourself. :geno:

it can be really fun. especially with piercing tears. i had tammy's body + parasite + Sagittarius + my reflection once, it was insanely fun until i had 3 rooms in a row that were basically impossible for me to clear.

also i just blew the best lost run i could have hoped for:

a greed head jumped over a rock half a second before i managed to freeze :smith:

Koramei fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 19, 2014

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Even though every secret the game has was leaked within days of the game's release, there were still some things I avoided getting spoiled on. I have to spoil the way I found the boss rush mode, and I'm not going to use spoiler tags because everyone knows how to get it now. I lost my first run due to Cursed Eye, then won my second run to Mom's Foot. My third run, I don't even remember what I had, but I killed Mom's Foot with like five minutes to spare. The wall crumbled, so I said, "poo poo man, they listened to my silent prayers and let us go back to the rest of the floor after killing Mom!" Then I went in and had some massive confusion that I wasn't in Depths II any longer.

The sudden rush of bosses and not knowing what was going on was incredible. I'd heard people talk about a boss rush while I read about it between the game's supposed release time and the actual release, but I thought it was something I'd have to choose from the start menu, not something that popped up during the game.

I also just killed the actual last boss of the game in a similar way. I knew that Mega Satan existed, and I knew how to get to it, but I hadn't even seen a screenshot of the fight yet.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

CJacobs posted:

and basically all types of rocks except for poop and normal grey rocks can explode into an 8-way shot of some kind that hurts you because lol gently caress fairness and things making any kind of sense.

i'm like 100% sure that the only rocks that do that are the ones in the womb that look all bumpy and wiggly and weird

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BJPaskoff posted:

Even though every secret the game has was leaked within days of the game's release, there were still some things I avoided getting spoiled on. I have to spoil the way I found the boss rush mode, and I'm not going to use spoiler tags because everyone knows how to get it now. I lost my first run due to Cursed Eye, then won my second run to Mom's Foot. My third run, I don't even remember what I had, but I killed Mom's Foot with like five minutes to spare. The wall crumbled, so I said, "poo poo man, they listened to my silent prayers and let us go back to the rest of the floor after killing Mom!" Then I went in and had some massive confusion that I wasn't in Depths II any longer.

The sudden rush of bosses and not knowing what was going on was incredible. I'd heard people talk about a boss rush while I read about it between the game's supposed release time and the actual release, but I thought it was something I'd have to choose from the start menu, not something that popped up during the game.

I also just killed the actual last boss of the game in a similar way. I knew that Mega Satan existed, and I knew how to get to it, but I hadn't even seen a screenshot of the fight yet.

It's kind of funny, I played the absolute poo poo out of the original Isaac, but not very much Wrath of the Lamb, so it's been really fun seeing what all happens after you beat Sheol and the Cathedral (which weren't in the original release I think, they got patched in with the Krampus and a few other things before WotL if I remember right).

Just saw the Dark Room for the first time ever today, and it gave me a Curse of Darkess on it to boot. :allears:

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

a bloody icon posted:

Let me guess? One huge orbital going round and round?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

CJacobs posted:

Yeah. That+Antigravity tears+Coal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh7UJh9Rzxo

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Tammy's Head and antigravity is bad.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Scythes.

CJacobs posted:

Mushrooms also drop pills which can either be cool or crap depending on your playthrough's pill setup, and basically all types of rocks except for poop and normal grey rocks can explode into an 8-way shot of some kind that hurts you because lol gently caress fairness and things making any kind of sense.

Mushrooms can also drop any mushroom item (including the Odd Mushrooms, the Magic Mushroom, the Mini Mush, and I think the 1up) and/or the Liberty Cap trinket.

Also yeah I'm pretty positive that's just the weird lumpy Womb rocks, which are sometimes like X rocks when bombed, sometimes do nothing, and sometimes do those 8-way bursts or leave a little spot of damaging blood on the floor.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Wugga posted:

Let me guess? One huge orbital going round and round?

You get one tear that you can half-control, half-fight with the game to stop from continuing its orbit around your head. Also it won't go past a certain distance from you.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

HGH posted:

You can also find Ghost Baby and Dry Baby inside skulls. It seems every different rock tile replacement has its own pool of items to draw from.

skulls have a decent chance for tarot cards too, counterpart to mushrooms having pills

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Toilet Rascal
Skulls also have a chance to turn into those "raise up on a pillar of guts" enemies.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Luckily if you just leave the room and then come back they vanish.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I used the D6 a piece of coal (from Krampus boss fight) and it turned into Guppy's Hairball, not Krampus's head. Is that normal?

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Holy poo poo, eve's mascara + chocolate milk + monstro's lung is a crazy good combination. Killed the lamb in three hits, and destroyed mega satan without breaking a sweat, one-shotting every boss he spawned.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal

Kurtofan posted:

I used the D6 a piece of coal (from Krampus boss fight) and it turned into Guppy's Hairball, not Krampus's head. Is that normal?

I would assume it counts as the Devil Room item pool, rather than a specific Krampus item.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

IronicDongz posted:

Luckily if you just leave the room and then come back they vanish.

Same with spiders that pop up from red chests/vases btw, which is a life (heart) saver

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

It's a devil room so I think it can reroll into any devil item.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
What am I doing wrong with my Lost unlock runs? I use the seeds on the wiki to do Isaac, Maggy, and Judas (I know I'm doing those right because the win streak counter doesn't change, like the wiki says), but I've taken Azazel to Sheol three times now and specifically died to Satan's laserbarf after killing the Fallen.

No Lost, and my win streak goes down one. I don't exit the game between characters, I wasn't even restarting my Azazel runs, and of course no Ankh/Shadow/Rags.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Soho Joe posted:

What am I doing wrong with my Lost unlock runs? I use the seeds on the wiki to do Isaac, Maggy, and Judas (I know I'm doing those right because the win streak counter doesn't change, like the wiki says), but I've taken Azazel to Sheol three times now and specifically died to Satan's laserbarf after killing the Fallen.

I read somewhere that you need to avoid dying to the laser and die to Satan's second form's bullets instead. It worked for me at least.

As for the seeds, I can verify that a seeded Isaac run doesn't blow your chances on unlocking The Lost, but I can't speak for the other ones.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Soho Joe posted:

No Lost, and my win streak goes down one. I don't exit the game between characters, I wasn't even restarting my Azazel runs, and of course no Ankh/Shadow/Rags.

Ram yourself into Satan and die via contact damage. His brimstone laser is flagged incorrectly for a Satan kill.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Had a run going neat. Undefined on basement I, bunch of damage ups, cursed contact, picked up ipecac because that could be fun! (it was)

picked up tiny planet because I wonder what ipecac and tiny planet go together like (NOT GOOD)

picked up Bob's brain because it LOOKS JUST LIKE THE GODDAMNED COMMON COLD

figuring out when they were going to explode was always a loving mystery and the cursed contact was just teleporting me all over the loving place, or Bob's Brain blew up in my face. Undefined took me to I am Error rooms so I skipped It Lives and then skipped Satan. The second room of Sheol had given me my third guppy piece so I was Guppy, but generating flies was still loving impossible.

Second room of Dark Room gives me a technology II and I start shredding just loving everything. Every room goes down in seconds, I manage to kill The Lamb's head before the body somehow, and I got my first mega satan kill.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

First time fighting Mega Satan

:smith:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Still wish the Horsemen didn't drop Meatboy/Bandagegirl parts. It always feels like I get one of the horsemen in a run and the rest will never appear. So it forever a worthless floating item that MAY block a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I just got the D6 in the first treasure room with Samson and ended up never using it because I got decent but not op stuff that carried me through the game.