Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

SunAndSpring posted:

He sounds rather depressed.

The Trial of Vivec was some bullshit, but this line V says about sotha sil always got me:

"How does one feel when weighted down by their heaviest of mysteries? When one gazes into their soul and sees their own eyes staring back? Perhaps it's how my brother felt, folding into himself like a prism until your darts were thrown, nymic sel sulimet elhnodidan, thought thinking thought."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Also rice hats, paper lanterns, katanas and this:

Don't know if they pulled anything from Far Eastern mythology.

Also, the multiple Tongs and the comical xenophobia.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Rexicon1 posted:

Also, lol if you don't kill vivec every time. What a piece of poo poo he was.

That levitation thing? Complete bullshit. It was just a complex system of wires and pulleys being worked from the ceiling by Khajit and Argonian slaves.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I always thought the Tsaesci and Akaviri were the east asian analogues or at least the japanese ones. I guess I can see morrowind as China with all of the noble houses and poo poo planted and supported by the empire.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
this is pretty minor but morrowind's the only game in the series where i try to think of how certain characters would react to certain events

almalexia was probably like "hell yeah i'm unique" about the chimer change and vivec doesn't give a poo poo about anything. the reaction i'm most curious about is divayth fyr

almalexia/vivec/sotha sil usually seem to represent "hell yeah"/"idgaf"/"maybe we should think about this"

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
dear diary:
today the guards got real suspicious of me and i can't think of why, and one of my servants wouldn't stop trying to scrub me. perplexing. - divayth fyr

oh dang i know what happened now i need to go to a place where i fit in more: hammerfell. - divayth fyr

DO NOT TRY TO BE A WIZARD IN HAMMERFELL. -divayth fyr

went to morrowind and experienced muatra. i hope vivvy calls back -divayth fyr

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Without feet, he may come back from any land, and without a face, he may come back as any race.

:gizz: jesus christ this game is amazing

seriously how much for an art book

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Why did they kill him in a way that they knew would (supposedly) let him come back?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Mortimer posted:

:gizz: jesus christ this game is amazing

seriously how much for an art book

also pierced with muatra so he can come back as any gender

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Geoff Zahn posted:

Why did they kill him in a way that they knew would (supposedly) let him come back?

It was determined already that he would return. They did it because causality compelled them to do so.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Geoff Zahn posted:

CHIM

no really, they might have killed him any number of ways but when Vivec achieved CHIM there's nothing stopping it from have happening any way Vivec wanted, or not at all

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

keep that milk finger to yourself unless you're using it to keep nord warlords from utlizing their thu'um

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Minarchist posted:

CHIM

no really, they might have killed him any number of ways but when Vivec achieved CHIM there's nothing stopping it from have happening any way Vivec wanted, or not at all

You have to remember that, by mantling Nerevar, you fulfilled and retroactively validated the prophecies. They may have been bullshit when they started, but you made them true. So, in order for the prophecy to work, Nerevar has got to have that stuff happen to him as he's killed so he can come back as an outlander of any race and gender. So it's basically a stable time loop.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It didn't have to happen as Vivec wanted because if there's anything a CHIMmer can't pass up it's a good story. Going against it would defeat the point of CHIM because I and all are we something something kirkbride

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

It didn't have to happen as Vivec wanted because if there's anything a CHIMmer can't pass up it's a good story. Going against it would defeat the point of CHIM because I and all are we something something kirkbride

yeah, this is the impression I got as well.

Anyone got that post linking the Morrowind CD and one of Vivec's sermons? It's the one about the wheel being viewed side on etc - I think it was in this thread ...

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

yeah, this is the impression I got as well.

Anyone got that post linking the Morrowind CD and one of Vivec's sermons? It's the one about the wheel being viewed side on etc - I think it was in this thread ...

It can also be interpreted as a 0 becoming a 1, which is the basis of binary coding.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
saying that there is a prophecy that someone somewhere at sometime is going to kill a bunch of dudes is a really lame prophecy, gently caress the ashlanders and their lazy rear end soothsaying.

in general, the ashlanders were a bunch of manipulative desperate shitheads that deserved zero respect. loving wipe them out and let vvardenfel finally progress

*red mountain explodes*

hel yes

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Ah I didn't know it was already known he would return. I just assumed it came afterwards.

God every day I find something more out about the storyline, I don't think any other game has this many layers to it.

Shame it doesn't happen in gaming more often, and its a shame that a lot of people who played Morrowind don't even grasp how much depth it has.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Rexicon1 posted:

saying that there is a prophecy that someone somewhere at sometime is going to kill a bunch of dudes is a really lame prophecy, gently caress the ashlanders and their lazy rear end soothsaying.

in general, the ashlanders were a bunch of manipulative desperate shitheads that deserved zero respect. loving wipe them out and let vvardenfel finally progress

*red mountain explodes*

hel yes

thats racist

we should celebrate their culture the wise-women know many profound things we imperials have forgotten

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

they herd random firey beetles that give out gunk that's worth 50 septims per handful while the plantation "cash crops" like corkbulb retail for a paltry 5

sounds p advanced to me

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
http://www.imperial-library.info/content/nu-mantia-intercept

I like how Hasphat Antabolis (the guy you gave the Dwemer puzzle box to) and Divayth Fyr are members of or at the very least affiliated with the Elder Council of the Empire.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
so i went to their page on daedric alpabet and

quote:

Vehk, Ayem and Seht?

Exactly. The three alternative names of the Three Tribunes of Morrowind, as found in Lessons of Vivec and elsewhere are, in fact, their mere initials.

:aaaaa:

i got almsivi but this went straight over my head

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

scalded schlong posted:

they herd random firey beetles that give out gunk that's worth 50 septims per handful while the plantation "cash crops" like corkbulb retail for a paltry 5

sounds p advanced to me

Its simple supply and demand, Corkbulb is so cheap because its grown on plantations and raised with slave labor while tribals don't know poo poo about proper harvesting on a mass scale so beetle gunk has an inflated price.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

wait what?

I'm having trouble understanding why this is a mindfuck or something

wasn't vivec's original name just "vehk"?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

Huh I never knew that either.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
It's spelled right out for you, literally, on the flags outside Temples:

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Same.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Serious post has there ever been another game with this much lore behind it and this interesting of a world?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Serious post has there ever been another game with this much lore behind it and this interesting of a world?

actual answer: look at how many games kirkbride has had creative control over

thats how many are this deep

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

I don't think so. Dragon Age tried, but that series is in the gutter now. Don;t even know why people even loving bought DA:I, it looks like garbage in all aspects.

Dec 26, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

I don't think so. Dragon Age tried,

a bit of an exaggeration there

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

elf on elf racism is one of tamriel's great tragedies

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

At least the horse won't try to eat you after you die.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

GreatGreen posted:

I never played the games in the Glorantha setting, but MK was asked basically the same question, and he said gloranta.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Mortimer posted:

wait what?

I'm having trouble understanding why this is a mindfuck or something

wasn't vivec's original name just "vehk"?

ayem sekt and vehk are the daedric letters a s v
its their initials

SunAndSpring posted:

Dragon Age tried

are you kidding me, its always been an uninspired lotr clone. there's like a handful of things that kinda might have been interesting if some competent people worked it, but in reality never go anywhere

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

TresTristesTigres posted:

I never played the games in the Glorantha setting, but MK was asked basically the same question, and he said gloranta.

I think there's only one video game set in Glorantha, but it's a very good one called King of Dragon Pass. In fact, a lot of concepts from Glorantha and the Rune Quest tabletop game transferred over to Morrowind because Ken Rolston was one of the devs for Glorantha. Mantling is similar to heroquesting, in which a heroic individual enters the divine realm and becomes a god for a little while by emulating their godly deeds. Glorantha also paid a lot of attention towards making unique and interesting cultures, which again was done starting with Daggerfall and Redguard. Even the mechanics from Morrowind are borrowed; a lot of it relies on percentile dice being thrown in the background, and RuneQuest relied on d100s.

Dec 26, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

are you kidding me, its always been an uninspired lotr clone.

its mostly just a western europe+england allegory

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

01011001 posted:

its mostly just a western europe+england allegory

ya, its a lazy idea and also shittily executed

what was the last fantasy rpg released that didnt have any dragons in it. im willing to bet it was actually morrowind

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Morrowind had dragons, they were just invisible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

ya, its a lazy idea and also shittily executed

what was the last fantasy rpg released that didnt have any dragons in it. im willing to bet it was actually morrowind

you would definitely lose that bet lol

• Locked thread