Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mighty Dicktron posted:

People actually pay attention to those????
The story mode in P4A is insanely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

People actually pay attention to those????

Yeah, shockingly enough a lot of people buy them and play the story mode in them. I guess if people want to watch animes talk at each other for 20 hours (the run time of an average BlazBlue story mode) and fight every 6 conversations that's cool??? They seem to make money off it.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

homeless snail posted:

The story mode in P4A is insanely good.

I don't even pay attention to the story in P4 proper so that sounds weird and wrong

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
A few choice cutscenes in Subspace Emissary were cool as hell and there was some real neat scenarios in it and those totally made the tedious gameplay worth it. My biggest beef with it was that it didn't really feel like a crossover story. It felt like an original story that just had all its characters replaced with Nintendo characters.

I would very much like them to try their hand again at a story mode but instead have it actually be a crossover, something like Master Hand crashing all the different Nintendo worlds together so he can take over them all and recruiting all the bad guys to do it. That way we could have Mario and Kirby running around Hyrule to stop Team Rocket from getting hold of the Triforce, or the Star Fox team fighting Bowser in Dreamland, or the Duck Hunt Dog in Green Hill Zone smashing Eggman's robots to catch the ducks inside of them, you guys get the idea,. Something that actually feels like a crossover.

That being said, making it the only reasonable way to unlock characters and content is a lame and dumb idea.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I don't even pay attention to the story in P4 proper so that sounds weird and wrong
That's hosed up.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

:staredog:

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I thought Subspace Emissary was a cool and fun mode because Squirtle and Ness could work together to fight dumb enemies. I haven't read anything about what mode Smash 4 has but it looks like a board game?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Not Eek posted:

I thought Subspace Emissary was a cool and fun mode because Squirtle and Ness could work together to fight dumb enemies. I haven't read anything about what mode Smash 4 has but it looks like a board game?

My beef with SSE is that the gameplay that filled up most of the time was dumb platforming and smacking mobs. Only it doesn't really work all that well in Smash and it was super repetitive. The platforming wasn't challenging, because Smash isn't a platformer so it couldn't really get that complex, and most of the mobs were dumb sacks of meat that you just beat on until they died and there wasn't anything to it. All of the fights when you actually fought another dude, like actual Smash, were fine, and the bosses were mostly good too. But it was just a huge amount of time doing dumb platforming.

The Events in Melee were a lot better, and something like that strung together with a silly Saturday morning cartoon, would have been a lot more interesting. The idea of Squirtle and Ness teaming together to fight Bowser and Samus or something silly is neat and cute and that's what makes Smash fun to begin with, but I don't need to kill a buncha Koopas and Stalfos to get there.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm so stoked to be on the west coast for once cause I'm planning on going nuts tomorrow night at 2101 when it unlocks at midnight EST.

(..that's how this works right? :ohdear:)

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
I couldn't tell you the story of the last ten jrpgs I've played, frankly, and I think I'm better off for it, i use cutscene time to read the forums or literally anything else.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

fruitpunch posted:

I couldn't tell you the story of the last ten jrpgs I've played, frankly, and I think I'm better off for it, i use cutscene time to read the forums or literally anything else.

The last JRPG I played was Tales of the Abyss and I couldn't tell you the story of that one even though I did my best to pay attention to it. I worry that I'm going senile but I could not loving follow that game to save my life.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Subspace Emissary's cutscenes fell flat for me because the whole thing had a stupid "grim" mood about it. There's a lot of potential for comedy when characters meet - it could have been really funny - but instead it's scene after scene of characters frowning at the sky as the halberd flies by.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

fruitpunch posted:

RyokoTK posted:

The last JRPG I played was Tales of the Abyss and I couldn't tell you the story of that one even though I did my best to pay attention to it. I worry that I'm going senile but I could not loving follow that game to save my life.

:yikes:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

fruitpunch posted:

That's hosed up

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Bring back Adventure Mode. There, solved the problem.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

RyokoTK posted:

Don't feel bad, the story in that game was a loving trainwreck and tried to be intriguing with its use of random terms, boring rear end "history" of the world, and immensely boring characters.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
Yeah, yeah my life is poorer for not knowing whatever the gently caress z-grade anime fever dream is happening while i make my lunch

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Regy Rusty posted:

That's hosed up

I'm with fruitpunch here, any story told through anime is a story not worth telling

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Xavier434 posted:

Me too.

It changed my life by allowing me to hook up an at home game console in my car for my kids during road trips.

Wait, wouldn't this kill your car battery, really, really fast?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Hedrigall posted:

I'm with fruitpunch here, any story told through anime is a story not worth telling

Actually anime is really good but jrpgs are dumb.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Car batteries only deplete when the engine isn't running.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Ivy posted:

Or it will poo poo all over the WiiU's already sub-optimal reputation and deter other developers.

Just like Gender Bender Xtreme poo poo all over Steam's reputation

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Arbitrary Coin posted:

At 32-33W, nope. The machine is insanely power efficient for what it does

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Hedrigall posted:

Car batteries only deplete when the engine isn't running.

That, and the WiiU actually consumes less power than the Wii did, which is virtually nothing. It's perfect for long car trips.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Policenaut posted:

Fighting games having full-scale stories have been the norm for quite some time now. Pretty much every anime fighter, from your AquaPazzas and BlazBlues to your Dengeki Bunkos and now Guilty Gears have a huge VN-style story mode, NetherRealm has been pushing hard on cinematic story modes with Mortal Kombat 9 and Injustice, and Bandai Namco's been doing wonders experimenting with the formula with Soulcalibur, Tekken, and their other anime fighters du jour like JoJo ASB and Naruto. Games like Street Fighter that have story modes comprised of 6 or 7 fights bookended by anime cutscenes and an occasional Vs. Rival scene are quickly becoming archaic.

Oh OK, that's my fault then. I fell out of touch with fighting games around 2001 or so. I just thought it sounded like a silly thing to bash a fighting game for.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Smash isn't a fighting game, and if Nintendo would just port their games to iOS then more people would see that.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Smash isn't a fighting game,

except you fight in it

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Smash isn't a fighting game, and if Nintendo would just port their games to iOS then more people would see that.

How is it not a fighting game? It's a game where you punch people until they fall down. :raise:

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Additional dumb car question, do cars these days come with power outlets, or are you guys using some sort of adapter? Being able to WiiU in the car would be amazing. The thought never occurred to me

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Additional dumb car question, do cars these days come with power outlets, or are you guys using some sort of adapter? Being able to WiiU in the car would be amazing. The thought never occurred to me

Some bigger cars have traditional AC outlets now, but almost ANY cigarette-lighter port on modern cars can support a general DC-to-AC adapter.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

fruitpunch posted:

Yeah, yeah my life is poorer for not knowing whatever the gently caress z-grade anime fever dream is happening while i make my lunch
I don't think I would enjoy Tales of Vesperia nearly as much without listening to the character interactions. Same goes for reading the dialogue in The World Ends With You. Or in any Paper Mario game.

I was going to beg you not to incite this discussion, but the second half of this makes me pretty drat sure you're just joking.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Jesus Christ the video game reviewer at Business Financial Post has to retarded

Also video game stories are terrible I can't remember what happens in them even if I try my hardest to pay attention because they're all lame as poo poo

whaley fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 20, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I've grown up by 15 years, and this time when I played a video game with my brothers, we didn't yell and punch each other so much that my dad nearly threw out our toys and my mom had to calm down his alcoholic rage. I guess it just wasn't fun enough this time.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

When will someone make a Wii U pro controller that is shaped exactly like a gamecube controller? I don't want to buy this adapter if it won't work for other games that I want to use the gamecube controller for.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
When will epople just get the gently caress over that stupid controller. Like, if you are a tournament player and it has to be wired, I get it, KIND OF, otherwise just use the newer better controllers.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

greatn posted:

When will epople just get the gently caress over that stupid controller. Like, if you are a tournament player and it has to be wired, I get it, KIND OF, otherwise just use the newer better controllers.

You don't have to use it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

mabels big day posted:

When will someone make a Wii U pro controller that is shaped exactly like a gamecube controller? I don't want to buy this adapter if it won't work for other games that I want to use the gamecube controller for.

I think the closest you're ever gonna get is this, which is essentially a Wii (not-U) Classic controller that plugs into a Wiimote.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

greatn posted:

It's only the greatest controller ever made. We've been over this.

enojy posted:

I think the closest you're ever gonna get is this, which is essentially a Wii (not-U) Classic controller that plugs into a Wiimote.

Is it really unlikely that any third party controller will be made like this? I'd love to play more Wii U games with the good ol' GC design.

edit: seems the classic controller works for Mario Kart 8 and 3D World, so aside from DK:TF and Hyrule Warriors, that's pretty much all I'd want it for.

mabels big day fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 20, 2014

KoB
May 1, 2009

greatn posted:

I dont want to buy more controllers and Ive already got 4 of those :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I would take a bullet for the Gamecube controller

• Locked thread