Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
3 gig patch gat drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Is this good

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Acquire Currency! posted:

3 gig patch gat drat

When did that hit :staredog:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Widestancer posted:

When did that hit :staredog:

it was there after I installed (retail) like an hour ago
Btw I'm jebmilo on Uplay so hmu for co-op

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

it was there after I installed (retail) like an hour ago
Btw I'm jebmilo on Uplay so hmu for co-op

Sweet. That's the day 1 patch I have already then. Allright lemme see how this works

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Widestancer posted:

Sweet. That's the day 1 patch I have already then. Allright lemme see how this works

Actually my little number says 1.3 so it may be other stuff I dunno. There's a friend search bar on uplay

Did anyone else hang up on the opening loading screen? It's still doing the tips and music and stuff like it's running but the load bar looks completed.

E: nvm just took a while

frank.club fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 19, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay so after playing for a bit until a sequence broke I restarted and now it 'fails to connect' on starting a new game ffs
Works again fingers crossed no sequence breaks

frank.club fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 19, 2014

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
yo this game owns. liking it more than far cry 3 even though it's more of the same. the setting is more interesting and the plot is slightly more tolerable. pagan min is a good not-vaas

so far here are my thoughts on the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN3KLL64mkI

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alright so the controller breaks the game in fascinating ways. Play kb/m.

Game owns.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 19, 2014

Dec 26, 2012

Alright so the controller breaks the game in fascinating ways. Play kb/m.

what

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
this game is better about not being easy as gently caress like 3 since you can turn off all the little helpful stuff that let's you know where every enemy is and whether they can see you

also you can give yourself the deady virus, AIDS, before attempting to take a camp which is a strange addition but a good one.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

having a controller plugged in (or wireless dongle) results in:

Incredible load times
Crashes
Guns not loading
Missions not loading
Buildings phasing in and out of existence
Mini map not loading
Quest triggers utterly snapping

Seriously having a controller plugged in will make the game not spawn NPCs

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

this game is better about not being easy as gently caress like 3 since you can turn off all the little helpful stuff that let's you know where every enemy is and whether they can see you

also you can give yourself the deady virus, AIDS, before attempting to take a camp which is a strange addition but a good one.

if theres a sniper rifle you can put a silencer on, the game is probably easy as gently caress

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zen death robot posted:

I usually play FPS with a m+kb anyway but I leave my controller plugged in because it's just convenient. What the hell

The super bizarre part was me finding out it was the controller through accidentally unplugging the dongle. Once it reverted to mouse keyboard all the quest triggers fixed themselves.
Like seriously, it was the part where you're sneaking through the house at the start, my controller unplugged and suddenly all the audio kicked in.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The super bizarre part was me finding out it was the controller through accidentally unplugging the dongle. Once it reverted to mouse keyboard all the quest triggers fixed themselves.
Like seriously, it was the part where you're sneaking through the house at the start, my controller unplugged and suddenly all the audio kicked in.
What controller do you use?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

You've gone mad with power zdr.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Great Joe posted:

What controller do you use?

It's a Microsoft wireless dongle with a 360 controller.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Apparently there are rumors floating around that the Blood Dragon-style standalone this time around will take place in Shangri-La, and you'll get superpowers like in Crysis or Far Cry Instincts

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Apparently there are rumors floating around that the Blood Dragon-style standalone this time around will take place in Shangri-La, and you'll get superpowers like in Crysis or Far Cry Instincts

Uh, there already is a sizeable amount of missions set in Shangri-La in this game. Superpowers included. I haven't finished all the missions there yet, but as it stands I'm shooting 5 arrows at once and have an attack-tiger. I wouldn't mind an entire spinoff-game centered around it, though.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 19, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

That'd be cool I guess but part of the appeal of BD was that it was so incredibly weird and different from anything in the base game.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Well, still getting black screen on startup. I don't have anything plugged in except for kb/m, deleted unencessary HID drivers, exited virtual drive programs... still nothing. Got the latest nvidia driver... guess I'll genuinely have to wait for a ubisoft patch. At least they recognized it is a problem and that its easy to replicate:

"PC Crashes: Some players have been reporting problems loading the game that result in a crash that manifests as a black screen. We have been able to reproduce this internally. While we are just starting to investigate this, our initial findings suggest that this may be the result of the presence of certain peripherals that are causing conflicts."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/19/far-cry-4-live-updates-blog-lists-ps3-pc-and-pre-order-problems

Dec 26, 2012

having a controller plugged in (or wireless dongle) results in:

Incredible load times
Crashes
Guns not loading
Missions not loading
Buildings phasing in and out of existence
Mini map not loading
Quest triggers utterly snapping

Seriously having a controller plugged in will make the game not spawn NPCs

what in the goddamn world

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I left out having to alt tab to get loading screens to transfer

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hurk owns

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
i like the black gun jesus guy

longinus. heh

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

The encyclopedia description for Longinus is pretty neat if you played FC2

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Co-op is really good. loving elephant destruction team ftw

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

There's a guy in the games thread who's mad about how this game has central asian people in it, and sad that it doesn't have enough animal rape.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Ddraig posted:

Hey, it's not my culture. My father was Indian, and aside from issues with family on that side I have very little interest in that aspect of my life for many, many reasons.

What I'm saying is that, much like most things Ubisoft have done recently, this is rather half-assed and all the 'big strides' they made in making the game less 'crazy white boy shows the natives what's what' it's barely a step above that since they haven't done the most basic research.

In a semi-accurate representation of certain Asian cultures, the main character would be lucky to be invited to a family reunion, let alone lead the nation in a bloody civil war. Again, Ubisoft doesn't give a poo poo about that - but if they don't give a poo poo, why the gently caress even bother to try?

Ddraig posted:

Again, they could have made a fun FPS with all the things they currently have without the absolutely terrible aspects.

Here's a tentative alternate setting for Far Cry 4 I pulled out of my rear end:

You are invited as a private investor to the world's largest outdoor Zoo. Set on a tropical island, it has all the makings of a private Utopia. The eco-system has been carefully constructed to accommodate many endangered mammals in a setting where they would be able to thrive. During the tour of the island you discover a GRIMDARK secret: The island's eccentric director has an ulterior motive! He has been conducting research into genetic engineering and has gone mad with power, his failed attempts to use the powers of animals has resulted in twisted genetic disasters that threaten civilization!

Before he has you executed to protect his dark secret his compound is assaulted. You awaken in a dingy cave, where the twisted monstrosity of a human/elephant hybrid informs you that you have been infected with tainted animal blood. You have the sneakiness of a snake, the stamina of a boar and the strength of an elephant, but it will eventually take you over and kill you. The only known cure is the blood of a mythical creature the eccentric director keeps in his giant compound: The blood of a dragon!

Through many trials and tribulations, after you take out the many highly aggressive, heavily armed zoo wardens using both your cunning animal like traits and the help of nature itself, you will be faced with the choice of embracing the animal or forever leaving the island and its crazed inhabitants behind.

In this setting you would have animals (including elephants), a reason for your terrible and over-whelming disgust at butchering them (they are your kin by blood) and a tough moral decision that may come with a surprise twist.

Maybe they could have called it Far Cry 4: Dragon Blood or something, I don't know.

Ddraig posted:

Incidentally I said nothing about having sex with the animals although they may try to rape you at some point. Maybe the honey badger high priest teaches you the ways of the animal via some potent snake venom drink and you wake up and its sodomizing you.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

have we found the re-incarnation of the gaming in the clinton years guy

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh ddraig and your stalker mods made me like you

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lmao I know someone who just shamed his ancestors

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I want to go call that guy a pencil dick 300 times as per my usual M.O. but FC4 is too much fun

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Add me on Uplay for Co op I'm the same username there as I am here

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Pagan Min is a fan of Kanye. I like that aspect of his character.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

zen death robot posted:

You inspired the return of the Xbox shark tank for fucks sake.
It had already been there for several days? :confused:

It's a Microsoft wireless dongle with a 360 controller.
Man, that's pretty dire, unless it's a cleverly rebranded knockoff.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Pagan Min is a fan of Kanye. I like that aspect of his character.

I liked the call where he said he was gay but still boned your mother

E:/\ I bought it from Microsoft.
At least I think I did....

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

So it's official, no controller is safe. :supaburn:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tbh I just enjoyed the weapon feel in the controller from farcry 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

It's good. My only complaint so far is that there doesn't seem to be any option to toggle aim. Maybe it's all the Payday I played but holding RMB to aim feels a bit awkward at this point

• Locked thread