Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

The Macaroni posted:

I know it's only been a week or so, but are there any giant spoiler posts about the story of Unity? After hearing all the bad reports of the game, I'm thinking about skipping this one but I want to know about the story. I checked the Asscreed wikia but they don't seem to have one post on the story that I could find.

Edit: Or someone want to give me a couple lines of spoilered text right here?

France has been pro-Assassin since the 13th century, backed by all their Kings. They quash their Templar order by killing a Sage back in 1208 or something.

Before the French revolution there's a small, political Templar order in France again, but there's a peace treaty with the Assassins. Arno's Dad (an assassin) gets killed when he's young so he's out for revenge. Templars start doing naughty things because of a coup d'etat in their ranks, and their new Grand Master is influencing the revolution. Arno kills a lot of them to try and find out the identity of their new Grand Master, without the Creed Council's permission, so he gets expelled.

Turns out the coup d'etat was from the reborn Sage. Arno kills him, the end. Modern day storyline (a voiceover for the most part) boils down to 'find the Sage in these memories' and they congratulate you on finding him at the end.

The last 1/4 of the game features a young Napoleon who offers you a job and after the credits you're clearly buddy with him, so I'm guessing that's the sequel there.

Pretty poor, the French revolution was background noise and more prominent in coop missions, and there was zero progress in both the historical and modern day plots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
If anyone's wondering, you can actually run Unity below minimum specs and survive (barely!). My desktop is an i5-2500 with 8GB RAM and a GTX-560, so a mid-range machine from about 2-3 years ago.

It's playable, though obviously I've got everything set to low (resolution included) and it still chugs along at about 15-20 fps depending on what's on screen. For some reason it dips to about 10 fps during cutscenes :psyduck:

It's obviously not ideal, but I'm at least glad I didn't spend a bunch of money upgrading my rig for this game!

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
So you spend sixty dollars on a game you know drat well won't run worth a poo poo on your computer instead of putting that money towards upgrading it.

Makes perfect sense.

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.
Just finished Rogue. I mean it was kinda cool I guess. It was lazy uninspired storytelling in a Northeastern version of Black Flag. I kinda liked Shay's character until he said "I make my own luck" more than once a cut scene. It was nice to get an opposing viewpoint but it was an opportunity half wasted. There's no drive to do every little thing like in AC2 and Brotherhood, and to a lesser extent Black Flag.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Rogue's characterization is pretty solid, but some of the dialogue is wretched. And man, it has the usual issue of valuing exposition over enjoyable shading.

There's a moment in the game when you meet some of your compatriots, and they invite you out for a beer. "Yes!" I think. "Some actual moments of levity and personality!" And then the game abruptly cuts to a year later with you and your friend all best buddies. Handwave that poo poo away, gents.

But drat, that ship combat is so fun. The tweaks are really solid, and also refashion a lot of the ideas from Freedom Cry.

sewersider
Jun 12, 2008

Damned near Freudian slipped on my arse

Hardflip posted:

France has been pro-Assassin since the 13th century, backed by all their Kings. They quash their Templar order by killing a Sage back in 1208 or something.

Before the French revolution there's a small, political Templar order in France again, but there's a peace treaty with the Assassins. Arno's Dad (an assassin) gets killed when he's young so he's out for revenge. Templars start doing naughty things because of a coup d'etat in their ranks, and their new Grand Master is influencing the revolution. Arno kills a lot of them to try and find out the identity of their new Grand Master, without the Creed Council's permission, so he gets expelled.

Turns out the coup d'etat was from the reborn Sage. Arno kills him, the end. Modern day storyline (a voiceover for the most part) boils down to 'find the Sage in these memories' and they congratulate you on finding him at the end.

The last 1/4 of the game features a young Napoleon who offers you a job and after the credits you're clearly buddy with him, so I'm guessing that's the sequel there.

Pretty poor, the French revolution was background noise and more prominent in coop missions, and there was zero progress in both the historical and modern day plots.

Just finished it as well and its pretty much this.
With a love interest involved that while well animated could have been awesome with a bit of betrayal mixed in or just a story line presented in anyway that we could possibly get invested in.
Bellecs turn around didnt really make any sense at all, even more so with his post death cut scene.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

sewersider posted:

Bellecs turn around didnt really make any sense at all, even more so with his post death cut scene.

That whole bit was to show how Bellec and Sage are just like, 2 sides of a different coin, maaan.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

sewersider posted:

With a love interest involved that while well animated could have been awesome with a bit of betrayal mixed in or just a story line presented in anyway that we could possibly get invested in.

Bellec was somewhat vindicated due to the Assassins Council being morons. They seemed more obsessed with holding onto their own power than protecting humanity from the Templar's schemes. I imagine Arno will literally embrace the "nothing is true everything is permitted " go solo, and just wreck poo poo with Napoleon.

The games plot has serious pacing issues though.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Hardflip posted:

Is there a modern day plot anymore? 3 rushed along an end to the whole first ones thing and 4 pretty much had no modern day plot to move around, just a thinly veiled excuse to run around pirating.

As much as I have loved all rear end creed games that weren't 3 I am having to pass on unity I think. Too much trying to shoehorn in co-op, which may be great if you have friends to play it with and regular times you are all available to play together, and overall the game just doesn't sound too solid. Might go back and play the 2s again instead.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Khisanth Magus posted:

Is there a modern day plot anymore? 3 rushed along an end to the whole first ones thing and 4 pretty much had no modern day plot to move around, just a thinly veiled excuse to run around pirating.

As much as I have loved all rear end creed games that weren't 3 I am having to pass on unity I think. Too much trying to shoehorn in co-op, which may be great if you have friends to play it with and regular times you are all available to play together, and overall the game just doesn't sound too solid. Might go back and play the 2s again instead.

Rogue has Abstergo speculating that Juno may be moving to guide humanity towards a technological singularity, and Juno all but confirming it if you bother to hunt down about ~150 Animus fragments (protip: don't do this)

I wonder what hare-brained pop science trope Ubisoft'll toss in next

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

MrMojok posted:

How many slots for ammo do you have in whatever kit you're currently using? Maybe you only got six bullets total, chief.

I have 4 extra bullets, and they reload if I fire all my rounds. However, if I have, say, two rounds loaded? There literally is no reload button.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
There is also no button to pick up weapons any more. Or attract guards.

Or not be a ponderous bumbling klutz :(

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

GhostDog posted:

Or pet animals.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

GhostDog posted:

The first was replaced by the firecrackers altogether. The second is just ugh why do my feet have these chair magnets?

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

sewersider posted:

I liked the character just fine, and I kinda dug that she didn't see the light or anything at the end. She was consumed by her need for revenge, and while she made a fatal mistake, she did it on her own terms.

I didn't mind that the Revolution was happening in the background, but the story felt short and too much was left unresolved. Arno was expelled from the order, but all it meant was that no-one would talk to him. That whole plot thread really needed to be wrapped up. I dunno, maybe I wasn't paying enough attention (I did play the whole game while sick with the flu), but nothing about the narrative grabbed me at all.

Actually, scratch that. The introductions to the co-op missions are pretty good. You get a little history lesson and reasonably clear objectives.

Next year will be better, right?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Narcissus1916 posted:

Rogue's characterization is pretty solid, but some of the dialogue is wretched. And man, it has the usual issue of valuing exposition over enjoyable shading.

There's a moment in the game when you meet some of your compatriots, and they invite you out for a beer. "Yes!" I think. "Some actual moments of levity and personality!" And then the game abruptly cuts to a year later with you and your friend all best buddies. Handwave that poo poo away, gents.

But drat, that ship combat is so fun. The tweaks are really solid, and also refashion a lot of the ideas from Freedom Cry.

My biggest problem with Rogue's story thus far (I haven't started sequence 6 yet):

How they handled Adewale.
When they made him out to be the Best of the Assassins at the start of the game I thought for sure he'd be the ultimate boss fight of the game, since clearly it couldn't be Achilles who has to survive to become a bitter old man in AC3. I thought also after being in 1.5 games of his own that Adewale would deserve some sort of big epic send-off. Instead what happens? He makes a run for it, scurrying away onto his ship and eventually (in my case) leading to a chase around an island before I just shoot him in an otherwise unremarkable sequence. His death speech wasn't even particularly memorable.

It just seemed like such a waste of a good character. :(

AutomaticPrince
Jun 14, 2013
Unity might be my favorite Creed game yet. Ever since I was forced to read A Tale of Two Cities, I've been very interested in the French Revolution, especially the use of the guillotine. While on the way to start a mission, I noticed they were actively guillotining people. Stopped and watched as they did 3 of them. The revolution in the background makes for great atmosphere in the game. Also, there's one sequence really has me wanting an occupied Europe WW2 Assassin's Creed.

I finally hit my first technical glitch last night (Guard shoved me, fell through the map and began swimming, then freefalling for eternity) so I haven't had the same frustration as most in that aspect. Only gripes about the game so far are getting stuck on everything and hanging there like an idiot, there seems to be a delay in response when you press an action button most of the time, and the fact that every enemy is Carlos Hathcock 2.0 and can nail you on a crowded road while you're sprinting no matter the distance between you.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

AutomaticPrince posted:

Unity might be my favorite Creed game yet.

My only technical issue has been one time where I got hung up on the geometry while climbing, but fast traveling fixed that so whatever. The game is sluggish on my PC but I swear it's gotten better (it's only truly awful anymore around cafe theatre, for some reason?), and I'm still holding out hope for 1.3 to fix that. I plan to upgrade my computer come Christmas/Black Friday (it's time, anyway, not just for Unity) so that won't be a huge issue for too much longer.

Love the combat, and usually love the new parkour, except when I get hung up on stupid poo poo and Arno just sits there while people hit him with swords. Love the new focus on stealth versus unstoppable counter kill invincibility. I can't imagine going back to another Assassin's Creed game after playing this one. It would feel like a massive step back. I'll probably still play Rogue when it comes out.

Story wise I guess I'd complain that it moves way too fast? Like it feels like they're setting up Templar A to be this huge character and then whoops, twenty minutes later you assassinate him, so much for that. I feel like they could have done a lot more, but story is kind of secondary in a game about collecting cockades and breaking lockpicks in revolutionary France.

gently caress the haters, I love this game.

on that note, though, I remember getting the Edward Kenway outfit, and then the next day taking it off, and ever since I haven't been able to access it. It's locked off, says I need to go get the chest, but I've already loving opened the chest so it's not like I can go re-get it. Has this happened to anyone else or am I hosed?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Daily Forecast posted:

The game is sluggish on my PC but I swear it's gotten better (it's only truly awful anymore around cafe theatre, for some reason?), and I'm still holding out hope for 1.3 to fix that.
That's just a coping mechanism, 1.3 isn't even aiming to touch performance issues.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I dunno. When the game first came out I was getting maybe 15-20 FPS everywhere, but now I get a good 30-40 when I'm literally anywhere but Cafe Theatre, where it dips down into the single digits for some loving reason, what's even happening there?

It seems like a lot of the performance issues are actually related to the online services so maybe whatever they're doing is helping.

edit:

The Initiates site really wants me to know that I unlocked the Shao Jun avatar so maybe something's still hosed there.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 19, 2014

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Hardflip posted:

Thanks for this. We're never going to get back to the awesome story that was AC2 and Brotherhood, are we? :(

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Daily Forecast posted:

on that note, though, I remember getting the Edward Kenway outfit, and then the next day taking it off, and ever since I haven't been able to access it. It's locked off, says I need to go get the chest, but I've already loving opened the chest so it's not like I can go re-get it. Has this happened to anyone else or am I hosed?

Initiates goes up and down and with it your access to the outfits. Don't worry, totally "normal" sadly.

Also Ubisoft has already heavily implied in patch notes that they aren't going to do anything about performance (send us your performance issues, we'll look into it).

If WatchDogs's "performance patch" is any indication, if they do put one out Unity will still run like crap on most systems. Watchdogs still studders for me and I can run BF4, DA inquisition and yes, even Unity, on High/Ultra settings without issue.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Daily Forecast posted:

edit:

The Initiates site really wants me to know that I unlocked the Shao Jun avatar so maybe something's still hosed there.

This reminded me of how in AC3, one of my wagons got stuck in attacked/damaged mode with no recourse to correct it. It constantly reminded me that one of my wagons was hosed, but I couldn't do anything about it. Now that I think about it AC3 and AC4 both were frequently reminding me repetitively of the same notifications over and over.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Snuffman posted:

Also Ubisoft has already heavily implied in patch notes that they aren't going to do anything about performance (send us your performance issues, we'll look into it).

Except for the entire post about how they're investigating performance issues and starting to rework and optimize engine to get it to run better.

http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-us/community/liveupdates/live_updates_details.aspx?c=tcm:152-185420-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

ayn rand hand job posted:

Except for the entire post about how they're investigating performance issues and starting to rework and optimize engine to get it to run better.

http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-us/community/liveupdates/live_updates_details.aspx?c=tcm:152-185420-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32

Ah didn't see that. I remain cautiously optimistic. :)

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

They took out weapon pickups? That's lame. You could do fun poo poo in the beginning of other games like not buy swords, daggers, or heavy weapons and run around in the beginning fighting high level dudes and any weapon you picked up became yours if you had nothing in the weapon slot. Hello free midrange weapons!

Can you still do execution moves with peasant tools like brooms, rakes, fishing poles etc? I swear there was a mallet or something that some guys used to break rocks that had a vicious looking execution sequence

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I actually really liked the story in Unity overall. One of my favourites in the series for sure. It does have its weak moments ("Guys I've unravelled this whole Templar plot to gently caress everything up, it'll take 30 seconds to explain" "Lalala I can't hear you, you've been kicked out"), but the missions and setpieces mostly flow from one to the next in a logical way, instead of just meandering around for the first two thirds and then breathlessly time-skipping to the end, like all the other AC stories seem to do.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

AutomaticPrince posted:

Unity might be my favorite Creed game yet. Ever since I was forced to read A Tale of Two Cities, I've been very interested in the French Revolution, especially the use of the guillotine. While on the way to start a mission, I noticed they were actively guillotining people. Stopped and watched as they did 3 of them. The revolution in the background makes for great atmosphere in the game. Also, there's one sequence really has me wanting an occupied Europe WW2 Assassin's Creed.

I agree with the praise for the sense of the Revolution's atmosphere, and don't really understand people who say it was underused. It's everywhere—NPCs are all over reacting to it in very specific ways, there are loads of newspapers you can pick up with short items written from both sides of the conflict at different times, there are co-op and single-player missions that involve specific events and characters. (He's in the main campaign, but last night I served as Napoleon's wingman as he tried to court his future wife. He had no game.) I'm sure it's possible to involve it more, but it would be getting pretty close to the Forrest Gump-esque placement of Connor that we had in AC3.

Also I do completely understand why people who haven't bought it are reluctant to do so (I've been lucky enough to encounter few glitches, but I think it's appalling that Unity shipped in a state where other people would have so many), but I can't help but roll my eyes when people complain about the story of a game they haven't played.

Daily Forecast posted:

Story wise I guess I'd complain that it moves way too fast? Like it feels like they're setting up Templar A to be this huge character and then whoops, twenty minutes later you assassinate him, so much for that. I feel like they could have done a lot more, but story is kind of secondary in a game about collecting cockades and breaking lockpicks in revolutionary France.

gently caress the haters, I love this game.

:):respek::)

Probably it feels slower if players meander around doing side missions between the main campaign. I meant to do that, but got caught up in everything and found myself suddenly at the end. I'm doing all the side stuff now, but I want to go back and approach some of the past story missions in different ways. And the balloon chase because it is great.

The chest thing is probably more Initiates fuckery.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Tempo 119 posted:

I actually really liked the story in Unity overall. One of my favourites in the series for sure. It does have its weak moments ("Guys I've unravelled this whole Templar plot to gently caress everything up, it'll take 30 seconds to explain" "Lalala I can't hear you, you've been kicked out"), but the missions and setpieces mostly flow from one to the next in a logical way, instead of just meandering around for the first two thirds and then breathlessly time-skipping to the end, like all the other AC stories seem to do.

It's pretty AC2 like in construction, which is a good thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

webmeister posted:

If anyone's wondering, you can actually run Unity below minimum specs and survive (barely!). My desktop is an i5-2500 with 8GB RAM and a GTX-560, so a mid-range machine from about 2-3 years ago.

It's playable, though obviously I've got everything set to low (resolution included) and it still chugs along at about 15-20 fps depending on what's on screen. For some reason it dips to about 10 fps during cutscenes :psyduck:

It's obviously not ideal, but I'm at least glad I didn't spend a bunch of money upgrading my rig for this game!

The cutscenes are being rendered in-engine, and probably push the machine even harder. With gameplay you have to have a buffer in case the player suddenly turns a different direction or attacks more guards than he did last time. With a cutscene you're free to use every bit of power to render a simple scene, you know exactly what will or won't appear.

They also appear to be using some heavy tessellation with hair and fabrics, which will probably hose anything but brand-new graphics cards. That's what's causing most of those hilariously terrible screenshots, I'd wager.

Good job loving this one up royally, Ubisoft.

It runs at 20fps on my xbone and I can't make myself play the drat thing even though I got it for free. I can't bring myself to buy it on PC when its so bland, but on my PC it would at least run well enough that I wouldn't get a headache. Blagh.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

The cutscenes are being rendered in-engine, and probably push the machine even harder. With gameplay you have to have a buffer in case the player suddenly turns a different direction or attacks more guards than he did last time. With a cutscene you're free to use every bit of power to render a simple scene, you know exactly what will or won't appear.

They also appear to be using some heavy tessellation with hair and fabrics, which will probably hose anything but brand-new graphics cards. That's what's causing most of those hilariously terrible screenshots, I'd wager.

Good job loving this one up royally, Ubisoft.

It runs at 20fps on my xbone and I can't make myself play the drat thing even though I got it for free. I can't bring myself to buy it on PC when its so bland, but on my PC it would at least run well enough that I wouldn't get a headache. Blagh.
What's your barrier for headache? You won't be getting a stable framerate

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

What's your barrier for headache? You won't be getting a stable framerate

I love a good 60fps but I can get by with 30fps just fine.

But the console is like 22-24 and that just isn't going to work, apparently.

Then again if its super unstable between 30 and 60 then that could look bad too. Can you lock it to 30 with vsync?

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
For real though they did a great job with the cutscene faces this time. They've got really nice stylized designs that keeps them elevated out of the uncanny valley for the most part, and they've got some good expressiveness.

It's definitely a next-gen cool moment for me, because I spent a lot of the time in 4 going "yeuuuck" at the silly putty eyeliner faces.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, I noticed it with Elise. A lot of her reaction faces really sell it without needing the usual crutch of saying their feelings out loud.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Zaphod42 posted:

Can you lock it to 30 with vsync?

With Nvidia you always can, don't know about AMD. I couldn't get even close to a reliable 60 no matter what I did, so I went for a steady (well, other than the rare cutscene hickup) 30 at max settings.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, I noticed it with Elise. A lot of her reaction faces really sell it without needing the usual crutch of saying their feelings out loud.

Yeah, there was an amazing moment when you're going to visit that apothecary and he just boots it when you walk in the store and Elise gives this amazing wordless well-what-did-you-think-would-happen? look.

The mocap really is quite incredible. The new Dragon Age seems jarring by comparison.

Ubisoft: Awful at optimizing but man, did you see that mocap??

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012
One of Rogue's UPlay unlockables is a katana. At first I just rolled my eyes and ignored it but it looks like it's got a little Assassin compass on the hilt...

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Who are the historical people you assassinate in Unity and in Rogue?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Who are the historical people you assassinate in Unity and in Rogue?

I don't know about assassinations but apparently in Unity you work with the Marquis de Sade and I'd be curious as gently caress as to how Ubisoft portrays him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

HaitianDivorce posted:

One of Rogue's UPlay unlockables is a katana. At first I just rolled my eyes and ignored it but it looks like it's got a little Assassin compass on the hilt...

In Unity the Katana is the best sword you can buy for a while.

25k-ish, which isn't too bad. The next upgrades are 5 times that.

• Locked thread