Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So here's a couple of recent bird stories.

On Saturdays I cook breakfast and on that day only, the birds get a little treat of bacon. It's just a little piece. It's not going to hurt them. They're used to the routine and they know on Saturday, or whatever day it is in birdie language, they get a piece of bacon. A few weekends ago, Mrs. Oquendo was making an omelette with peppers, shrooms, and in this case, turkey bacon. We gave some to Hannah the grey and he loves everything in it, so he went to work. He got to a piece of turkey bacon and was immediately disgusted. You could see the anger and disappointment in his eyes. He knew it wasn't the real thing. He proceeded to pick out every piece of turkey bacon and dump it on the bottom of his perch. I felt so bad I put clothes on went to the store so I could get him his real bacon.

Story 2: My conure loves to do dishes with Mrs. Oquendo. She puts on music and he sings and parties on her shoulder. She would usually play dance type music which the bird loves. One day, she decided to play some Beatles instead. The bird actually got upset and was doing his angry gently caress you squak. She changed the music back to dance stuff and he immediately changed his mood and started singing and partying.

Birds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

This is awesome!

The more I lurk here the closer I am to buying a cockatiel. I have never owned a bird before but am very familiar with the requisite training needed to be a good pet owner.

Boodge Bum
Apr 22, 2005

Deoderant plus ruptured bumgrapes does not equal freshness. Just burning agony.

DarkHorse posted:

except for the whole "being smarter than you and also razor-sharp beak" thing

Chuffy is smarter than me though, and he's only a budgie.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

conurepix :3:

I spend a lot of time playing video games one-handed.

A Good Birb

From the thumbnails I thought this was a tiny drenched white cockatiel, with that little attempt at a crest he has going there.

Pookah posted:

I've just started a basic digital photography class, so Pookie has become my unwilling subject for practice :)

Also a Good Birb :3:

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Don't feel bad, with the ridiculous smarts comes an equal amount of skepticism.

Edit: my friend had her grey for six months before there was a scary thunderstorm that made Kinsasha go "Connie! Scared!" so Connie would come save the day. :3:

That's amazing. I wonder how she even learned the word Scared, and what it meant-did someone teach her, did she see it on TV (kids show?), was it just by watching people, hearing it enough and guessing what it meant?

Greys and stories about them are the best.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Staryberry posted:

These are wonderful photos!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Greys are one of those birds that really remind me of their link to dinosaurs, with the big gold eyes and wide, featherless eye patches. It's so cool. Please share more as you take them! :D

Thank you so much! She's actually very mellow about having a camera jammed in her face so I hope I'll be able to keep going and get some intersting pictures of her. She's normally very secretive about being any way animated or expressive when a stranger is looking, so it's fun to record her when she thinks no-one but me will see her.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Connie quotes from this morning:

"Guten tag!"
"Good morning!"
"I'm a pretty bird!"
"Feed me, Seymour!"
"Whatchu doin'?"

Plus some things I couldn't make out, and a very smug, self-satisfied sounding "heh heh heh." Still wouldn't step up but immensely more sociable than last night; we'll see how she does when I check in again this evening. I'll prob take pics then maybe?

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north...campaign=buffer

Drunk birds haha

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Battle Pigeon posted:

A Good Birb

From the thumbnails I thought this was a tiny drenched white cockatiel, with that little attempt at a crest he has going there.

Also a Good Birb :3:

That's amazing. I wonder how she even learned the word Scared, and what it meant-did someone teach her, did she see it on TV (kids show?), was it just by watching people, hearing it enough and guessing what it meant?

Greys and stories about them are the best.

My friend has always made a point of talking to Kinsasha as an equal, including explaining things or pointing stuff out the way you would to an older kid. She also makes Kinsasha be specific when possible. Her life has not been the most stable so she has had to start over a few times. The result is that Kinsasha is super aware of what is going on, to the point where Connie had to warn my sister not to say anything about her chewed feathers so she (the parrot) would not feel embarrassed. :3

Recently Kinsasha has started using negatives. Before she would just go "No." And Connie would have to ask a series of questions to figure out what she was objecting to.

Now she goes "Connie up up cage, no." So it is a little backwards but Connie knows right away what she wants :3

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Greys are so loving cool. :allears: Ama and I have a little private language but it's nowhere close to what they're capable of.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's just a little piece. It's not going to hurt them.

I'm not really convinced that a little piece every week isn't going to be unhealthy over time. However, I do understand that they might actually murder you if you cook breakfast on a Saturday and don't give them bacon. Anyway, it's full of saturated fats, which raise cholesterol and probably increases their risk of heart disease, which is a big deal in Greys. Alex died of undiagnosed heart disease.

http://www.jarvm.com/articles/Vol1Iss1/BAVELJVM.htm

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

We get birds like that, there are some wild rowans/mountain ashes growing on our property and some of the wild birds like to chow down on the berry clusters. Thing is that when fall/winter comes along, the berries ferment on the branches. Birds have so little sense of taste, they just hork them down and get drunk in the process :downs: Feathery little alcoholics.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

The cutest news story this week.

I remember an old Encyclopedia Brown mystery case involving drunken cedar waxwings. Our hero figured out it was the berries; such a clever boy.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ohtori likes popping bubble wrap

There was a cockatiel at a pet store today, asleep on a perch, standing on one foot-but the other one wasn't tucked up, it was lifted and all the toes were spread, like he fell asleep while waving. :3:

Tasty_Crayon posted:

My friend has always made a point of talking to Kinsasha as an equal, including explaining things or pointing stuff out the way you would to an older kid. She also makes Kinsasha be specific when possible. Her life has not been the most stable so she has had to start over a few times. The result is that Kinsasha is super aware of what is going on, to the point where Connie had to warn my sister not to say anything about her chewed feathers so she (the parrot) would not feel embarrassed. :3

Recently Kinsasha has started using negatives. Before she would just go "No." And Connie would have to ask a series of questions to figure out what she was objecting to.

Now she goes "Connie up up cage, no." So it is a little backwards but Connie knows right away what she wants :3

Aww, that's amazing. What would happen if Kinsasha heard someone talking about her feathers? And how old is she?

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Budgies are still refusing to eat pellets. They go so far as to lick them and then move on to looking for seeds (we're offering a mixture). I'm out of ideas. How do we get them to eat the drat things?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Mix them in fruit/veg that they like, so the pellets stick and they might accidentally munch one while trying to get to the other stuff? Add a little fruit juice? Pellets only in the morning, rest of the food from afternoon onwards (or whatever)? If you're giving them something like Harrison's, where it's all one size and colour, maybe something varied like Zupreem would appeal more. Otherwise just patience, I've read about birds that took over a year to convert.

Steve doesn't eat pellets either, but to be honest since he's a cockatiel and they do better on seed-based diets than other types of parrot, it's not too big a deal. He eats his fresh foods and other non-seed things so he's getting the variety, the seeds he gets are good quality, and he's out and able to fly to work any extra calories off.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Ooh, we haven't tried fruit juice yet. They're deathly afraid of fruit and veg that isn't broccoli, but I'm trying to get them interested in bananas. Hopefully once they are, I can stick pellets into the banana and see what happens.

Sadly, we can't get Zupreem in Germany, we're trying to feed Roudybush, which are all uniform but about the same size as seeds.

It's heartening to know it can take up to a year to convert. I was worried we were doing something wrong (we're currently offering a mix of seed and pellets, both in their dishes and when hand-feeding).

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Sometimes they have to be given no choice. It took me a while to get Boop to understand that pellets were food too as I'd gotten her from the breeder pretty early and she was still being taken off the egg/biscuit mixed with seed. Then I managed to find some smaller pellets so she could eat more of each and less would become shrapnel. She threw a huge tantrum for a few days because I didn't give her a choice, but came around eventually.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It's worth noting that budgies handle seed diets really well anyhow. While I think a pellet diet is still nice it's not an incredibly mandatory thing like with larger birds more prone to fatty liver disease.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

chthonic bell posted:

It's heartening to know it can take up to a year to convert. I was worried we were doing something wrong (we're currently offering a mix of seed and pellets, both in their dishes and when hand-feeding).
The long-term technique I've heard (and was given a flier on by my vet at one point before Alexis had switched) is to change the proportions by 10% each week. So if you're giving a 50/50 mix right now, next week give them a 60/40 mix.

They won't starve to death though they might get pissy about it for a week or two.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

chthonic bell posted:

Sadly, we can't get Zupreem in Germany, we're trying to feed Roudybush, which are all uniform but about the same size as seeds.

Roudybush is good, but if you ever wanted to try something different you're able to get both Harrison's and probably Nutribird there too. Harrison's is the same size/colour, and Nutribird varies depending on which you get (B14 would be best).

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
We can get Nutribird at our local pet store, but not B14, only the larger ones. :( B14 has to be ordered online. Harrison's we have to order online, too.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Yeah, I have to physically bring back the Harrisons with me when I visit the UK, Nutribird is available here (sometimes) at least. At least you don't have to deal with travelling to the single store in the city that possibly has it, only to find NOPE, when you order online. It's usually cheaper too.

I was trying to find the conversion chart that came with one of the pellets, as it would have been a great way to show how even with conures etc it's supposed to be a gradual switching process, but no luck yet. There is this though: http://store.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/CONVERSION-KIT-SMALL-BIRDS/productinfo/CKS/ Wonder what success rate that has?

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Battle Pigeon posted:

Ohtori likes popping bubble wrap

There was a cockatiel at a pet store today, asleep on a perch, standing on one foot-but the other one wasn't tucked up, it was lifted and all the toes were spread, like he fell asleep while waving. :3:

Aww, that's amazing. What would happen if Kinsasha heard someone talking about her feathers? And how old is she?

Her feelings would get hurt :3: She might get anxious and chew more. I think she must be at least 20 by now. She can also tell if you are treating her like a dumb animal and will file that poo poo away for later. Her favorite movie is Spirited Away. :3:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Oh god, giving a parrot bubblewrap is genius. I gotta see if I have some lying around.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Dreggon posted:

Oh god, giving a parrot bubblewrap is genius. I gotta see if I have some lying around.

It does sound genius. I think both of mine would be terrified of it though because they are afraid of fun :colbert:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Thread, tell me what trick I should teach Ohtori next. For just tricks, he knows: Wave (grasp his beak with his foot), Turn Around, Shake (and if you say Shake without giving a finger, he'll wave), Eagle, Ring Ring (ring bell), Roll Over, Flip (around a perch/finger), Touch (target stick).

Unfortunately I do not have any adorably tiny/proportionate props to teach him basketball/similar crap.

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Her feelings would get hurt :3: She might get anxious and chew more. I think she must be at least 20 by now. She can also tell if you are treating her like a dumb animal and will file that poo poo away for later. Her favorite movie is Spirited Away. :3:

Does... does she tell Connie those things? :3:

Pip pip pip posted:

It does sound genius. I think both of mine would be terrified of it though because they are afraid of fun :colbert:

A conure feeling fear....? Does not compute

How are they both getting along together lately?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Battle Pigeon posted:

Thread, tell me what trick I should teach Ohtori next. For just tricks, he knows: Wave (grasp his beak with his foot), Turn Around, Shake (and if you say Shake without giving a finger, he'll wave), Eagle, Ring Ring (ring bell), Roll Over, Flip (around a perch/finger), Touch (target stick).

Unfortunately I do not have any adorably tiny/proportionate props to teach him basketball/similar crap.

Make your own! If you don't have a hobby shop near you, the internet can probably help: http://www.craftparts.com/balls-wooden-balls-wood-c-277_279.html

You know what you must do (for our amusement)

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I feel awful, the budgies had a very tiny fight (I yelled at them before more than one foot-blow could be exchanged) and now I'm fretting they'll hate each other forever. :ohdear:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

They're roommates, sometimes roommates squabble. Unless it's a serious fight (and you'll be able to tell if it's a serious fight), don't worry about it. :)

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Battle Pigeon posted:

A conure feeling fear....? Does not compute

How are they both getting along together lately?

Sometimes I think Ozzy is a defective model :downs: I'm not sure if it's learned behavior from Nugget, but he is definitely avoidant of new/unfamiliar things.

They are getting along well. Ozzy has resumed his cage-aggression behaviors towards arms/hands reaching in but does not antagonize Nugget AT ALL. Their only interactions really appear to be moving out of each others' way once in a while. Nugget seems less frantic about COMING OUT RIGHT NOW compared to when she was by herself so I am calling it a win.

The only problem I have with it is that Ozzy's old cage had little doors to get the food and water dishes out, so it was easy to avoid his wrath when invading his house. Nugget's cage doesn't have such easy access to the food dishes. Her cage is substantially bigger though, so I guess it's worth it. Rearranging doesn't seem to do anything to calm the cage aggression down, unfortunately :sigh:

We have a screened-in porch connected to our living room (which has a wall of windows that look out to the porch and our backyard). I put Ozzy's old cage out there. I think it will be a nice place for them to enjoy some fresh air in the summertime :3:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Birds LOVE to squabble. It's their nature.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

They're roommates, sometimes roommates squabble. Unless it's a serious fight (and you'll be able to tell if it's a serious fight), don't worry about it. :)

Back in the day, a long time ago when I didn't know better, I had two females in one of those cages they give you at the pet shop (so I figure the dimensions would have been about 18" X 15" X 22"Height, or something close). I learned unfortunately at their expense they needed their space. And let me tell you : it was Budgie Fight Club in there, one particular evening, and it was not pretty. They were at each other's throat, rolling around in the bottom, grasping each other's claws with their own and using their wings as god drat fists. I'll skip the bloody part. It was the first and last time I ever had to physically interrupt a budgie fight. Both budgies only suffered superficial wounds from that fight and turned out fine in the end.

I now have an enormous cage that could support up to six females (which is my new unit of measure since that event).

Popoto fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 19, 2014

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

StarMinstrel posted:

I now have an enormous cage that could support up to six females (which is my new unit of measure since that event).

:laffo:

Also yeah, that was exactly what I was referring to actually! Way back when I too didn't know any better I had two lady budgies and introduced a boy budgie to the cage. Oh boy, did THAT ever not go well.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

DarkHorse posted:

Make your own! If you don't have a hobby shop near you, the internet can probably help: http://www.craftparts.com/balls-wooden-balls-wood-c-277_279.html

You know what you must do (for our amusement)

It will be considered, but £££ and ~effort~

Pip pip pip posted:

They are getting along well. Ozzy has resumed his cage-aggression behaviors towards arms/hands reaching in but does not antagonize Nugget AT ALL. Their only interactions really appear to be moving out of each others' way once in a while. Nugget seems less frantic about COMING OUT RIGHT NOW compared to when she was by herself so I am calling it a win.

The only problem I have with it is that Ozzy's old cage had little doors to get the food and water dishes out, so it was easy to avoid his wrath when invading his house. Nugget's cage doesn't have such easy access to the food dishes. Her cage is substantially bigger though, so I guess it's worth it. Rearranging doesn't seem to do anything to calm the cage aggression down, unfortunately :sigh:

Oh, they're living in the same cage full time now? How big is it?

For cage aggression, Inko doesn't like his cage being invaded by my partner's hands, so I rolled up sheets of kitchen roll into tubes and tied them into a knot around the cage bars near the door. Coffee stirrer stick stuck into the knot optional. Inko being broken may be a factor, but he'll go for the kitchen roll and attack that instead. You can also slide it along the bars from the outside and play tug with him, which reinforces the KILL THE PAPER redirection when there are hands about. Maybe that could work for you?

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Battle Pigeon posted:

Thread, tell me what trick I should teach Ohtori next.

EAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGLEEEEEEEEEE. I'm trying(very loosely) to teach marshal to do this, you start off by putting your pointer finger and pinky out and kinda just slip that under their wings so they lift them. I...I haven't gotten past this part haha.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

He learnt that one a long time ago, it was listed! It was basically "poke him in the side under the wing, both sides at once" and he naturally lifts his wings. Combine with treat+voice command, he quickly picked it up. And the gesture of pointing your fingers at him works too, so you can make hand guns and go HANDS UP and he'll eagle for you.

Every single one of his tricks has both a voice command and a gesture associated with it, but some work better than others-like he'll flip via voice command almost every time, but will only guaranteed roll over for the gesture (a force push)

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010

Battle Pigeon posted:

He learnt that one a long time ago, it was listed! It was basically "poke him in the side under the wing, both sides at once" and he naturally lifts his wings. Combine with treat+voice command, he quickly picked it up. And the gesture of pointing your fingers at him works too, so you can make hand guns and go HANDS UP and he'll eagle for you.

Every single one of his tricks has both a voice command and a gesture associated with it, but some work better than others-like he'll flip via voice command almost every time, but will only guaranteed roll over for the gesture (a force push)

If you have anything ball-like you can teach Ohtori to balance on it. I have a super cheap lacrosse ball I can get zippy to attempt standing on. It started as teaching her to kick a ball on cue, but watching her climb up, fall off, and shout "Good Bird!" was too cute.

Birds invent their own tricks sometimes.

Fetching coins is a pretty easy prop trick to teach, too. We're working on catching balls of tissue out of the air right now- so there, two free "props" for instant entertainment.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Battle Pigeon posted:

Does... does she tell Connie those things? :3:

She lets Connie know when something makes her very happy or upset. Approval is met with a satisfied "Yessss." And rejection is "No!" But she can't make the n sound so it is more like "!o" she also does an extremely creepy breathy chuckle and knows schuzhund commands. Like, I stayed over one night and when I finally woke up she was hanging over me on her cage and went "Braaaav" (good). I got praised by a bird for getting my lazy rear end out of bed. She also bobbed her head up and down like "yes, now we can get this show on the road"

Tasty_Crayon fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 20, 2014

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Battle Pigeon posted:

wow I'm an idiot that can't read. What about like BANG and have him fall over on his back? He already knows how to roll over, it shouldn't be hard to get him to stop half way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
So, um: when do budgies go through puberty? How bad is it gonna be? :v: