Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Barry Convex posted:

Really? Is that a more recent retcon? There are a lot of Inhumans comics I have yet to read, but from what I've read, their purpose was to help win the war with the Skrulls, not conquer the planet.

It's actually both. They conquer Earth and then use it and other worlds to help win the war. But conquering Earth was part of the deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Sorry if we're veering into comics chat, but can you quickly explain why that was needed? It was my understanding that the Kree are supreme warmongering badasses. Why did they need Inhumans to conquer Earth? The only thing I know about them is what I read during my Cosmic binge after the GotG movie, and all I know is that the Inhumans were created in order to genetically uplift the Kree or something.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Xtanstic posted:

Sorry if we're veering into comics chat, but can you quickly explain why that was needed? It was my understanding that the Kree are supreme warmongering badasses. Why did they need Inhumans to conquer Earth? The only thing I know about them is what I read during my Cosmic binge after the GotG movie, and all I know is that the Inhumans were created in order to genetically uplift the Kree or something.

I think Earth was in a particularly good strategic location or something like that.

Edit: Oh you mean why were Inhumans needed to conquer Earth. I thought you meant why did they need to conquer Earth.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 19, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Xtanstic posted:

It's about efficiency. They could easily have sent used Kree resources to build up Earth, but better off to let the Terrans do it, then let the Terrans conquer themselves for you too. No Kree commander's gonna be bothered conquering some shithole backwater planet like that.

edit:

mikeraskol posted:

I think Earth was in a particularly good strategic location or something like that.

Oh yeah that too. I mean if we're really gonna get into it, specifically the earth's core used to be a cosmic cube (i.e. the tesseract) so there was all kinds of wonky poo poo there for aliens to get hype on.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 19, 2014

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Setting aside for the moment the question of what Feige et al. would or wouldn't allow (and no, not changing my mind): have there been any good Inhumans stories that didn't center around the Royal Family characters?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The Kree are a genetic dead end. For all that they have an advanced civilization, they've basically stopped evolving socially or biologically. They experiment with other races to try and find a way to reinvigorate their development....and, you know, if that fails? Disposable super-soldiers. That's about the long and short of it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Barry Convex posted:

Setting aside for the moment the question of what Feige et al. would or wouldn't allow (and no, not changing my mind): have there been any good Inhumans stories that didn't center around the Royal Family characters?

Ms. Marvel!!!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bobkatt013 posted:

Ms. Marvel!!!

Eh, I know there's a fervor for it but it's bit too cutesy and teeny and full of itself for me to recommend to anyone. It's fine but like a lot of comics in recent years it's written specifically for a young internet crowd and is really grating at times.(This is not a bad thing, but I'm very much not part of that audience.) I'm glad it's successful and found an audience but I don't particularly care for large portions of it. And I wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking for a good Inhuman story as outside the one arc it's barely Inhuman related anyway despite the main character being Inhuman.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The whole thing with GH and Skye's Mom makes me think of a really dark version of the joke "a pig like that, you don't eat it all at once."

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Burning_Monk posted:

This is actually explained in the episode. Fitz has to fit the transceiver onto a system that doesn't support it. The motherboard is the system. He's practicing on a mockup. The real mother board in the facility is probably a computer that helps relay the signal.

It actually makes sense. IMMERSION REPAIRED.

Immersion NOT repaired, I repeat, NOT repaired.

Real world gripe: In a datacenter environment, they are NOT going to be using consumer-grade RAM. ECC or naught.

Procedural gripe: You are NOT going to train using stand-in parts, on the off chance that your target has or does not have things your practice setup doesn't. Your practice setup is going to be the exact same parts.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Man, I hope I never forget how to suspend my disbelief when watching a show about super spies and poo poo. Seems so miserable.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Ms. Marvel!!!

I figured this would be the first response, and I dig the book, but a protagonist who happens to be Inhuman does not an Inhumans story make. Up until the point where Kamala actually meets the Royal Family, her origin could be replaced with any other with no impact on the story or her character.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Barry Convex posted:

I figured this would be the first response, and I dig the book, but a protagonist who happens to be Inhuman does not an Inhumans story make. Up until the point where Kamala actually meets the Royal Family, her origin could be replaced with any other with no impact on the story or her character.

The best 'run' of strictly Inhumans is probably the Paul Jenkins mini series from 1998. And I say that as someone that doesn't really care for Jae Lee's art. But it's very much a story involving the Royal Family. So to answer your question I'd there's not really that many Inhumans stories without them because until recently the Inhumans have been more or less just been them.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Holy poo poo this episode. The brothers Ward crazy-off was fantastic, and I loved how the whole abduction scene ended with a shot of them walking off together in a picturesque fall setting like the front a Hallmark card. Finding out what happened afterwards, though, was a hell of a snap back to reality. :stare:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ah, nothing important. Thanks for the screen!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Dexo posted:

Man, I hope I never forget how to suspend my disbelief when watching a show about super spies and poo poo. Seems so miserable.

Said the guy with the Jay Cutler avatar. =P

No, I get your point, it's just that as soon as Fitz picked up that stick of RAM it was BLUE!. Complete with exclamation point as part of the color. If they had used a random stick from Crucial or Patriot or whatever without a heatspreader (Which, in of itself, also attracts attention) or the label clearly having been stripped off, I likely would not have given it a second thought. Because you don't color something that bold unless you're trying to get someone's attention with it, that's why they sell them in bright colors like that.

It's like priming a Chekov's Gun, except that this Gun never got fired.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 19, 2014

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Deadpool posted:

The best 'run' of strictly Inhumans is probably the Paul Jenkins mini series from 1998. And I say that as someone that doesn't really care for Jae Lee's art. But it's very much a story involving the Royal Family. So to answer your question I'd there's not really that many Inhumans stories without them because until recently the Inhumans have been more or less just been them.

Well, there was the Sean McKeever series centered around younger Inhumans about a decade back, but that still had the classic characters in the supporting cast and the luxury of being able to treat Attilan and the Inhumans as firmly established elements in its universe.

I haven't read a ton of the Soule Inhuman series, but my understanding is that it's still very much centered around the classic characters and how they interact with the new ones.

So I don't think there's really an existing precedent for what most people think Agents of SHIELD will be doing with the Inhumans. I guess the writers could pick some C-list or original characters and write them as a surrogate Royal Family largely unaware of the real one?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Barry Convex posted:

Well, there was the Sean McKeever series centered around younger Inhumans about a decade back, but that still had the classic characters in the supporting cast and the luxury of being able to treat Attilan and the Inhumans as firmly established elements in its universe.

I haven't read a ton of the Soule Inhuman series, but my understanding is that it's still very much centered around the classic characters and how they interact with the new ones.

So I don't think there's really an existing precedent for what most people think Agents of SHIELD will be doing with the Inhumans. I guess the writers could pick some C-list or original characters and write them as a surrogate Royal Family largely unaware of the real one?

I don't think anyone is saying there needs to be any kind of Royal Family involvement or even surrogates. I'd say we've been arguing the opposite. The concept of Inhumans will be introduced (which is already well on its way to happening, especially after the way SkyeDad was talking). Perhaps the Kree facility has some kind of proto-terragen bomb that would kill normal humans. Maybe the team manages to stop it, but not before SkyeDad exposes Skye and maybe Raina to some of the mist. With Civil War confirmed for the future movies following Avengers 2, it makes sense that someone powered might be on the team. It also gives SHIELD something to do, eventually.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well if it's Inhumans perhaps the 'power' inside The Diviner is actually a Terrigen crystal and what happened to Skye's mom was that she got activated by touching it.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I wonder if Ward actually did kill his bro and parents, or if it was just a ruse to get in with Whitehall

Cause like... where did his parents come from? They weren't at the house to begin with

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Deadpool posted:

Well if it's Inhumans perhaps the 'power' inside The Diviner is actually a Terrigen crystal and what happened to Skye's mom was that she got activated by touching it.

That is kind of my guess. Though I am not sure if the Diviner alone would activate them? Did Raina touch it? I no longer remember. But it makes sense that it would kill any normal human, since it would be a key protecting something so important. I would imagine that the Kree wouldn't want anyone not authorized to have access to the facility.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ToastyPotato posted:

Did Raina touch it?

She did. She was freaking out, because she thought she was going to die.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

I don't think anyone is saying there needs to be any kind of Royal Family involvement or even surrogates. I'd say we've been arguing the opposite. The concept of Inhumans will be introduced (which is already well on its way to happening, especially after the way SkyeDad was talking). Perhaps the Kree facility has some kind of proto-terragen bomb that would kill normal humans. Maybe the team manages to stop it, but not before SkyeDad exposes Skye and maybe Raina to some of the mist. With Civil War confirmed for the future movies following Avengers 2, it makes sense that someone powered might be on the team. It also gives SHIELD something to do, eventually.

Sorry if I'm putting words in your mouth - you seem to be suggesting that the Inhumans elements pretty much begin and end with the next couple episodes, which sorta makes sense if you assume that Terrigenesis is the only element the show is going to touch. Most people seem to be expecting that whatever happens in the city is just the start of a much longer, bigger Inhumans arc that will eventually dovetail with the films and will introduce many more Inhuman characters along the way.

The thing is, at least as I see it, getting powers from an alien mist is not really the core concept of the Inhumans at all; it's about as generic as superhero origins come. The core concept is an entire society structured around that transformation. Which is why I don't think the former, in and of itself, is much of a basis for a long-term serialized story arc.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 20, 2014

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Deadpool posted:

The best Ms. Marvel story was Rogue taking her powers and becoming Super Dolly Parton.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

Sorry if I'm putting words in your mouth - you seem to be suggesting that the Inhumans elements pretty much begin and end with the next couple episodes, which sorta makes sense if you assume that Terrigenesis is the only element the show is going to touch. Most people seem to be expecting that whatever happens in the city is just the start of a much longer, bigger Inhumans arc that will eventually dovetail with the films and will introduce many more Inhuman characters along the way.

The thing is, at least as I see it, getting powers from an alien mist is not really the core concept of the Inhumans at all; it's about as generic as superhero origins come. The core concept is an entire society structured around that transformation. Which is why I don't think the former, in and of itself, is much of a basis for a long-term serialized story arc.

I think we have probably agreed more or less on what might and might not be in the show this whole time and have been talking past each other, hilariously enough.

Basically: The concept of Terragenesis? Yes. People genetically modified as a result of Kree experimentation (Inhumans as a subspecies/race/group of people)? Yes. Mentioned by the name Inhuman? Maybe, maybe not. Inhuman culture? Probably not. Inhumans as a team or faction in the sense of people who live under the royal family? Probably not. I'm also not ruling out Attilan being a ruined ancient "city" and former Kree facility, only because the MCU has taken liberties with things before, and that kind of change is precisely the kind of thing I could see Marvel Studios doing. I also don't necessarily think that, accepting that possible change, it steps on the toes of any movie, since the most that might happen is that some people might go, "oh that's the place that was on the TV show years ago, I guess it has a name. It's cool they brought it back, planted that seed a long time ago for the people who bothered watching." The the other 90% of the audience, they would have had no idea it was ever on the show to begin with, since a single conversation or flashback could easily explain the important bits of info regarding its origins.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Just before they find the city...

Skye says "Your acting like you saw the devil out there."

Obviously we know they saw her dad. That's not what I'm interested in. After the phrase "Devil out there", it cuts to Fitz who looks up. He starts out "red", then the lighting shifts to yellow, then back to red.

Normally that wouldn't mean anything. But with all the "clues" that Ward was evil... Yeah.

Fitz is going rogue, isn't he?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

"THAT'S NOT HER NAME! IT'S MARY SUE POOTS drat IT!"

I also really liked how when Bakshi killed himself and I immediately shouted "Oh come on they didn't check him for cyanide capsules!?" and then they immediately covered that.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Regy Rusty posted:

"THAT'S NOT HER NAME! IT'S MARY SUE POOTS drat IT!"

I also really liked how when Bakshi killed himself and I immediately shouted "Oh come on they didn't check him for cyanide capsules!?" and then they immediately covered that.

I actually thought that was a hilarious cover. "Oh he put a capsule in his cheekbone! Good thing he wasn't viciously beaten a few times by May, Ward, and Bobbi. That could have been a very quick fight if they had done something crazy like punched him in the jaw!"

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I think the Inhumans are right up there with Dr. Strange as characters who are technically important to the MU, but practically were never poplar enough to warrant their own series.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Soylentbits posted:

The best Ms. Marvel story was Rogue taking her powers and becoming Super Dolly Parton.

Wrong Ms Marvel.

You are thinking of Carol Danvers, the origonal Ms Marvel

http://i.imgur.com/amTfjCc.jpg

Who is now Captain Marvel

http://i.imgur.com/Hb5viUN.jpg

Now Ms Marvel is Kamala Khan, a pakistani-american girl from Jersey City who is an inhuman and a Princess Sparklyfist's fangirl

http://i.imgur.com/bSd0VNC.jpg

And now you know, because knowing is half the battle, and beating the other guy to a pulp is the other half.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Masonity posted:

devil out there

it cuts to Fitz who looks up. He starts out "red", then the lighting shifts to yellow, then back to red.

Fitz is going rogue

No, I think it's pretty obvious what it means.

Fitz is Daredevil!

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Phylodox posted:

No, I think it's pretty obvious what it means.

Fitz is Daredevil!

Nah, Fitz is not entirely right in the head.

Fitz will be Moonknight

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

An extremely brave amount of plot progression. Other shows would have done the Ward v. Ward plot line for multiple episodes, and it might have been good. But the quick killing, along with the parents, cementing Ward's serial killer status...that was aces. Everything else hummed as well. Fabulous episode, real exciting stuff.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'm glad that Arrow's breakneck pace appears to be contagious.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Soooooooooooo I just caught up with the most recent episode.

Jesus loving christ. Extremely dark out of nowhere.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

mikeraskol posted:

Soooooooooooo I just caught up with the most recent episode.

Jesus loving christ. Extremely dark out of nowhere.

Yeah, I think they could have done a better job lighting the Australia site for that last bit. :v:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Masonity posted:

Just before they find the city...

Skye says "Your acting like you saw the devil out there."

Obviously we know they saw her dad. That's not what I'm interested in. After the phrase "Devil out there", it cuts to Fitz who looks up. He starts out "red", then the lighting shifts to yellow, then back to red.

Normally that wouldn't mean anything. But with all the "clues" that Ward was evil... Yeah.

Fitz is going rogue, isn't he?

What I thought was far more sinister was when Simmons walked in where Mack and Hunter were. Mack has been vocal in being wary of Coulson, Simmons has not exactly been the nicest person towards Fitz since she got back and Hunter sold the team out once already. That's the trio to watch out for in my opinion.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Potsticker posted:

What I thought was far more sinister was when Simmons walked in where Mack and Hunter were. Mack has been vocal in being wary of Coulson, Simmons has not exactly been the nicest person towards Fitz since she got back and Hunter sold the team out once already. That's the trio to watch out for in my opinion.

You take that back you sonuvabitch Mack will never betray his best bro Fitz.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Skye touched Fitz's shoulder like SIMmons did. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I really like how they've gotten past treating Fitz as broken and moved on to "okay, what CAN you do, because you're still very good at that."

• Locked thread