Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always forget about Brand New Day, but I think that was on purpose. One of my favorite things in New Avengers is when they tell Spiderman that he has to give them his real name or he won't get paid, and he eventually gives in, but as soon as he tells everyone who he is, Jessica Jones jumps in about how much she was in love with him in high school and her coma and everything.

While Luke glowers in the background.

There was also Peter and Carol's date, where Hammer Agents see them at the restaurant, and attack, but only because they see Ms Marvel, not knowing that Spiderman is also with her. That actually bugged me a little; to me, Parker will always be a teenager, 19 at the oldest, maybe 20, and Carol seems like she would be youngest late 20s, more likely early 30s. Ms Marvel, more like Ms Cougar!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Speaking of Spider-Man's age. I realized the other day that when I first started buying weekly comics I was the same age as Ultimate Spider-Man. Now, at 29, I'm older than 616 Spider-Man by a year or two. Also, a couple years ago I was the same age as New 52 Superman when they revealed that Superman was twenty seven when the light from Krypton's sun exploding finally reached Earth.

Realizing you've grown older than your fictional heroes is what made Dark Knight Returns happen. Guess it's time to reread Spider-Man: Reign to make me feel better.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

There was also Peter and Carol's date, where Hammer Agents see them at the restaurant, and attack, but only because they see Ms Marvel, not knowing that Spiderman is also with her. That actually bugged me a little; to me, Parker will always be a teenager, 19 at the oldest, maybe 20, and Carol seems like she would be youngest late 20s, more likely early 30s. Ms Marvel, more like Ms Cougar!

Okay, but you're wrong. Dude graduated from college and was working on a PhD and was even a TA for a while before dropping out (and recently going back). If you take FF#1 as starting roughly 10 years ago, the youngest you can possibly get Peter is 25 because he was 15 when he got his powers. Marvel is fairly adamant about Peter not being older than late 20s so even taking on a few years only brings him to 27 or 28.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

notthegoatseguy posted:

Okay, but you're wrong. Dude graduated from college and was working on a PhD and was even a TA for a while before dropping out (and recently going back). If you take FF#1 as starting roughly 10 years ago, the youngest you can possibly get Peter is 25 because he was 15 when he got his powers. Marvel is fairly adamant about Peter not being older than late 20s so even taking on a few years only brings him to 27 or 28.

I said to me. When I was a kid reading Spiderman he was a high school student and that's how I always think of him. He is clearly in the comics a lot older than that, but in my mind Peter is still a kid.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
To Save The Multiverse:

Mix together one (1) Galactus Seed, one (1) Phoenix Egg, one and a half million (1,500,000) clones of Shang-Chi, two (2) Beard Bros, and the giant brass balls (1 pair) of Scott Summers, add some broth, a potato... baby you got a stew going!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I love Pod.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

I said to me. When I was a kid reading Spiderman he was a high school student and that's how I always think of him. He is clearly in the comics a lot older than that, but in my mind Peter is still a kid.

So you were a kid when Ditko was writing it? He went to college at the end of his run. Also drat the army introduced today is insane.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It's about time for Cyclops to join the game.

I'm now in team Cyclops and his sentinels.

The X-Men have Sentinels.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
why are we rooting for the dude who is a less interesting magneto

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

why are we rooting for the dude who is a less interesting magneto

That's (2014) Magneto.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The issues today were good but to me, I think they raised a whole lot more questions than they answered. Something just feels...off. I think there's something else that happened in the time jump that is still important to the story. Looking at the covers over the next few months I think we'll get a lot of backstory as to how the additional Illuminati members joined up.

I also found it interesting Namor was basically nowhere to be seen in New Avengers.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

I also found it interesting Namor was basically nowhere to be seen in New Avengers.
I would have liked to seen his reaction to Tony coming in to try to stop the Cabal, and if there were any Shared Looks as they took him away afterwards.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Had we seen Validator before anywhere?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Starsnostars posted:

Had we seen Validator before anywhere?
That one Avengers issue with Omega Flight and it was super spooky--a good ish.

edit: Avengers #10

vvv "her"

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 19, 2014

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
gently caress I don't remember her at all. I need to go back and reread that issue.

e. Wow I so didn't remember that issue at all. Now I get why Sunspot called her "the power of evolution".

Starsnostars fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 19, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I feel like I should go back and reread everything after every couple of issues.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

Not shocking as we saw he is bit of a wild card.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Not shocking as we saw he is bit of a wild card.

But is he absent because he has plans, or has he just pissed off both secretive groups so much that they've both kicked him out?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

So now we're being presented with Cap and Tony as polar opposites, gone to such extremes that they can't take their heads out of their assholes and see the bigger picture. Their feud is the fracture point, representative of the multiversal incursion fractures. The "New Avengers" are the system slowly knitting itself together. The origin sites that were destroyed: self-awareness, self-repair, communication. The New Avengers are doing what those sites cannot anymore, by pinpointing what factions exist, gaining a greater understanding of the whole mess, and repairing the broken avengers machine.

I can't wait to see how all this turns out.

(And seriously, Scott? A Phoenix egg? Is that your answer to everything?)

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 19, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

^^ He knows Jean is in one of them and he is going to keep opening them until he gets her.

notthegoatseguy posted:

But is he absent because he has plans, or has he just pissed off both secretive groups so much that they've both kicked him out?

With one he pissed them off due to his actions, and the other he is uncomfortable with their actions. He went to Doom for help, but he is no mans second choice.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
I'd have laughed if someone had told me 3 years ago that I'd be reading how Sunspot had formed his New Avengers to put back together the old Avengers. All that after buying out AIM and sending one-armed Thor through the Omega relay to punch the end of the universe in the dick.
Also, infinite Shang-Chis, gently caress yeah.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm genuinely bothered that the idea of Bentley joining Valeria and Doom never crossed my mind until I saw the glimpse of what could be :allears:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

"Oh, Anthony... it's amazing that you still think you have friends at all."

I loved that whole scene.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
While the (I assume) still inverted Tony was trying to make the best of his situation and look cool and in control when he claimed Black Swan was in love with him, I did like how she decided to paint her nails for her prison visit. :3:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Starsnostars posted:

While the (I assume) still inverted Tony was trying to make the best of his situation and look cool and in control when he claimed Black Swan was in love with him, I did like how she decided to paint her nails for her prison visit. :3:

The Iron Man books states that he actively avoided having inversion undone. But if he was still inverted I don't know why he would climb into his new biggest armor ever and go try to stop the Cabal solo. It's one of those things where even timelines don't work, but he's probably not inverted.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Nevvy Z posted:

The Iron Man books states that he actively avoided having inversion undone. But if he was still inverted I don't know why he would climb into his new biggest armor ever and go try to stop the Cabal solo. It's one of those things where even timelines don't work, but he's probably not inverted.

I can see him being arrogant enough while inverted that he thinks he can do it himself and look like a big hero.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Just realized that must be the reason Black Swan went back for her brother's blood in NA 15 when McCoy and Reed were using the bridge to observe events she took part in, DNA samples for her family.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
What are you guys talking about when you say he's inverted?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Leper Residue posted:

What are you guys talking about when you say he's inverted?

The effects of the currently-ongoing AXIS (or SIXIS depending on how literally you take the logo) crossover center around 'inversions' - in short, good guys turn bad, bad guys turn good. It's outright stated in the intro page to the first issue of Superior Iron Man that when the crossover is done and everyone goes back to normal, Tony will avoid the 'back to normal' thingy so he can continue to be a douche.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The effects of the currently-ongoing AXIS (or SIXIS depending on how literally you take the logo) crossover center around 'inversions' - in short, good guys turn bad, bad guys turn good. It's outright stated in the intro page to the first issue of Superior Iron Man that when the crossover is done and everyone goes back to normal, Tony will avoid the 'back to normal' thingy so he can continue to be a douche.

Ah, so that's why he went off on that rant about how they'll have to beg for his help? I thought that seemed rather petty even for him.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Leper Residue posted:

Ah, so that's why he went off on that rant about how they'll have to beg for his help? I thought that seemed rather petty even for him.

Well, that's the thing - we don't really know. As has been mentioned, the whole 'invade the Cabal to shut them down single-handedly' bit seems like it may or may not be wholly appropriate for Inverted Tony; I can see it, but I'm not sold on it, if you take my meaning. If Tony's still inverted in his own book in 6 months, then yes, that's definitely the case, but until then I'm not sure I want to commit beyond saying 'yeah, that seems pretty likely.'

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Sabretooth is the other that's been confirmed as staying "inverted" for now anyway.

Inverted Tony is actually one of the only things I'm actually enjoying about Axis.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Pod being a lesbian is the last thing I was expecting.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
This poo poo is so loving awesome, every issue leaves me wanting more. Although it's getting crunch time I love that Hickman is exploring all kinds of facets of his runs and angles and views on what's going on here.

hope and vaseline posted:

So now we're being presented with Cap and Tony as polar opposites, gone to such extremes that they can't take their heads out of their assholes and see the bigger picture. Their feud is the fracture point, representative of the multiversal incursion fractures. The "New Avengers" are the system slowly knitting itself together. The origin sites that were destroyed: self-awareness, self-repair, communication. The New Avengers are doing what those sites cannot anymore, by pinpointing what factions exist, gaining a greater understanding of the whole mess, and repairing the broken avengers machine.

I can't wait to see how all this turns out.

(And seriously, Scott? A Phoenix egg? Is that your answer to everything?)

Hella yeah! And Doom's got his own thing in the works! I want all hope lost and then Doom comes in and saves the day. Then have him forever hold it on everyone.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

E the Shaggy posted:

Inverted Tony is actually one of the only things I'm actually enjoying about Axis.

Inverted Tony is actually awesome, and I say that as someone who has spent a lot more time thinking about Iron Man than is really healthy. I'm just hoping they resist the temptation to string it out for too long.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I actually don't think Doom is going to be the End-All-and-Be-All Savior here. Val tells him the exact same thing as she told Reed. He might be a part of the solution, he might take credit for the whole thing, but I don't think All Hope Is Completely With Doom.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Deadpool posted:

"Oh, Anthony... it's amazing that you still think you have friends at all."

I loved that whole scene.

I kinda hated it, and it sort of encapsulates a lot of what I hate about Hickman's version of Tony Stark. I really like his run, and I feel that it's had a lot of strong and interesting characterizations, but Iron Man is not one of them. His Iron Man is either 1)Getting verbally destroyed, 2)Getting beaten up by someone, 3)Both. He's sorta been this big stupid straw man that Hickman keeps wanting to take down a peg every time he's on page. It's made the character really one note. Blah blah Tony you suck, blah blah I'm going to beat you up to show you how much you suck, blah blah Please dumb it down for a dummie like me, Reed.

The Jessica and Natasha scene just felt like more of the same ol same ol. Especially since it's "Superior" Iron Man they're talking to. Do you think an absolutely amoral Tony Stark who had hooked the entire city of San Francisco on $100 a day Extremis wouldn't lie, deceive, and cheat them until the second he couldn't use them anymore and dump them when convenient? It's just dumb ol' Iron Man acting like a crazy baby while he rots in a cell like a loser. I mean Christ, the other Illuminati at least get to move in other directions and do other things. Reed gets to play spy games with Sue, Namor gets to make more horrible moral compromises with the Cabal, Black Panther has to become Wakanda's King again in all the worst ways, and Doc Strange is certainly going to have interesting things to do and say while chumming around with the Black Priests.

Frankly, what has Iron Man even done this run other than just serve as a punching bag? Build Sol's Hammer? Wow, big deal. Has some control over the Rogue Planet? That seems more of a red herring than anything else if Franklin and Valeria are to be believed. Made the Avengers Machine? Great, good job there Tony. Of all the cool things that have happened over Hickman run, and there have been many, Iron Man has not really actively been the one doing any of them.

I think the ultimate sin of Hickman Iron Man is that he's incredibly boring. I could care less if he's being "humbled" or "shown his own hubris". It's so drat old hat, and has been done since Tales of Suspense #39. It's been done by Bendis, JMS, Fraction, and so many others to varying degrees of success. I am just so drat sick and tired of it. Superior Iron Man is great because it's finally a Tony Stark that's fine with being an rear end in a top hat, and being drat good at it. Hickman's Tony sucks at being an rear end in a top hat and is just a terrible waste in what has otherwise been a run that will go down as an all time classic.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bobkatt013 posted:

So you were a kid when Ditko was writing it? He went to college at the end of his run. Also drat the army introduced today is insane.

It was the early 80s, but I know I had Spiderman Reprints, like the first issue with Kraven.

I loved how Sunspot had most everyone's number, that he knows the Illuminati, he knows Shield Avengers, and the Cabal.

Tony driving Black Swan to tears was kinda awesome in a douche way.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Think I'm going to side with the faction that has a million Shang-Chis. Or Doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

redbackground posted:

To Save The Multiverse:

Mix together one (1) Galactus Seed, one (1) Phoenix Egg, one and a half million (1,500,000) clones of Shang-Chi, two (2) Beard Bros, and the giant brass balls (1 pair) of Scott Summers, add some broth, a potato... baby you got a stew going!

So what you're saying is: It takes a lot to make a stew.

• Locked thread