Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

a worthy uhh posted:

The Warriors (1979). Watch that one.

Haha okay

\/\/\/ Not on streaming \/\/\/

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

A MIRACLE posted:

Can you guys be more specific, there's like five movies on streaming called The Warrior right now

The one with Tom Hardy in it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mr. stefan posted:

It always blows my mind that Christopher Walken is in Batman Returns and somehow manages to give the most subdued non-Alfred performance in the movie.

The best part is Andrew Bryniarski doing a hilariously awful Walken impression as his son.

Walken's delivery of "Bruce Wayne? Why the hell are you dressed up like Batman?" always kills me.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

A MIRACLE posted:

Haha okay

It was there forever. :(

Honestly though, it's worth buying/renting through the VOD service of your choice. It's that drat good.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
Seaquest status: season 3 is… not bad and Michael Ironside is a badass.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Dr Monkeysee posted:

Seaquest status: season 3 is… not bad and Michael Ironside is a badass.

Come on, I watched multiple seasons of Sliders as a kid and even I couldn't take Seaquest despite it, sadly, being right up my alley.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Marketing New Brain posted:

Come on, I watched multiple seasons of Sliders as a kid and even I couldn't take Seaquest despite it, sadly, being right up my alley.

That long, hard object full of seamen was right up his alley.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

Did you make it through season 2? 'Cuz season 2 is *really* bad.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I don't know what episodes or what season of Seaquest I saw but I remember it being really, REALLY, BORING.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
From what I understand S3 is practically a different show. S1 was a relatively grounded underwater Star Trek and was pretty boring. S2 added a bunch of insane sci-fi stuff (they fight a gigantic crocodile and I think the ship ends up sunk on an alien planet). S3 changed directions again but the show was already doomed.

I tried to appease my nostalgia by watching a bit, but, yeah, it didn't age very well to say the least...

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

A MIRACLE posted:

Haha okay

Dang sorry, that's where I originally saw it. Guess I should have checked.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Sabotage is up and it's a pretty sweet Action flick.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Thanks everyone who said Stretch was great.

What a load of predictable crap. Don't waste your time by watching this movie.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Did they just put up the 2000's Zatoichi movie? Watch that like I did.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

It wasn't great by any means but it s still far better than a lot of the poo poo Netflix has up. Definitely in the 'worth a go' section, I reckon.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

From what I understand S3 is practically a different show. S1 was a relatively grounded underwater Star Trek and was pretty boring. S2 added a bunch of insane sci-fi stuff (they fight a gigantic crocodile and I think the ship ends up sunk on an alien planet). S3 changed directions again but the show was already doomed.

I tried to appease my nostalgia by watching a bit, but, yeah, it didn't age very well to say the least...

It ages terribly but so do good shows like TNG. If you place it in context S3 is pretty good 90s adventure television.

I should also point out it's my current background show so I'm not paying particularly close attention.

All in all a resounding endorsement!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Counterpoint, watch this movie and don't listen to this guy.

Although, if you didn't like Smokin Aces, you probably won't like Stretch.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Stretch is like the perfect Netflix movie. I wouldn't go out of my way to see it, but I don't have to because its on Netflix.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

Did they just put up the 2000's Zatoichi movie? Watch that like I did.

As an almost unconditional Zatoichi fan (I enjoyed every single one of the originals despite them all pretty much being the same film) has anyone seen this movie before any of the Katsu ones? I only thought Kitano's was alright but it was the last one I'd seen. I'd be interested in hearing thoughts from someone who watched it from a different perspective.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I'm mostly unfamiliar with Zatoichi but I've seen the Kitano one and it rules.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I just watched a bunch of it for the first time since it was on originally, and Star Trek TNG is aging fine. It's definitely a product of its time, but the good episodes are very good.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
TNG is this show where some of the episodes are legitimately good and the other ones are usually bad in an amusing enough way that they're still fun to watch.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

If you've ever wondered what would happen if say.... Beyond the Black Rainbow and Zardoz mated and you have Amazon Prime, be sure to check out The Visitor .

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

If you've ever wondered what would happen if say.... Beyond the Black Rainbow and Zardoz mated and you have Amazon Prime, be sure to check out The Visitor .

It's easily the second most bonkers movie I've ever seen (second only to Zardoz), not to mention it has the MOST SEVENTIES SOUNDTRACK EVER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh3SFgOql3I

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lamprey Cannon posted:

It's easily the second most bonkers movie I've ever seen (second only to Zardoz), not to mention it has the MOST SEVENTIES SOUNDTRACK EVER!

this is my Get poo poo Done music. the Visitor is dope.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Counterpoint, watch this movie and don't listen to this guy.

Although, if you didn't like Smokin Aces, you probably won't like Stretch.

There are people who liked Smokin Aces?

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Smoking aces was pretty bad but I watched it. . .

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

It's hilariously retarded. I loved it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Eh, parts were kind of fun in a Crank way, though obviously Crank is a far superior movie.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
How can anybody not like Smokin Aces?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

JohnSherman posted:

How can anybody not like Smokin Aces?

Take your pick.

Also: kidboner

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Interesting that half of the reviews call it a Tarantino ripoff, while I remembered it being a poor man's Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Eh, parts were kind of fun in a Crank way, though obviously Crank is a far superior movie.

Yaws posted:

It's hilariously retarded. I loved it.

Both of these comments are equally true. It was a crazy stupid over the top action movie. It was ridiculously retarded in the best possible way.

I'm one of the biggest gun nerds around and sperg out about tactical and/or historical realism when a movie tries to portray itself that way (see: The Hurt Locker... or better yet, dont), but if you can't turn your brain off, grab a few beers, and watch Smokin' Aces, Crank, or The Expendables and enjoy yourself, then I think you're missing out.

Smokin' Aces also has a pretty sweet, blink - and - you'll - miss cameo by Beowolf from The 13th Warrior as the Swedish doctor. That dude rules.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 20, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Interesting that half of the reviews call it a Tarantino ripoff, while I remembered it being a poor man's Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.

which was a Tarantino ripoff

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I like bad movies that are unapologetically bad. Stretch was a bad movie that aspired to cool cult status, and missed badly, at least for me.

Maybe it was just Patrick Wilson. Dude just did not have the charisma to pull off that role.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

Haha okay

Warrior is on Canadian Netflix, amongst others. You can check regions here:

http://www.netflixaroundtheworld.com

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I like bad movies that are unapologetically bad. Stretch was a bad movie that aspired to cool cult status, and missed badly, at least for me.

Maybe it was just Patrick Wilson. Dude just did not have the charisma to pull off that role.

What was bad about it, though? I mean, it's a stock premise but the execution was solid, plot held together at least as long as I was watching it, etc.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Ed Helms is a funny guy. If you see him with the mustache in Stretch and think "this is wacky fun" this movie is for you. If you think its just "wacky tacky" then its not for you stop while your ahead. Sorry Ed.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Holy moly this movie is nuts. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Nick of Time is a pretty entertaining movie in all the ways it's not trying to be.

Christopher Walken kidnaps Johnny Depp's daughter and tells him he has to assassinate the governor in 90 minutes or his accomplice will kill the kid. It's like they came up with a concept that they then immediately realized wouldn't work for a dozen different reasons, but pushed ahead anyway. Any time Depp could get help or tell somebody, which is a lot, their solution is to have Walken materialize around a corner and stare menacingly. The whole point is that Depp is supposed to be the fall guy so the real bad guys can keep a distance, but instead Walken just follows next to him everywhere. At one point Depp gets into an elevator with the governor and is about to tell her the plan, so of course Walken appears out of nowhere and gets on the elevator too. Then afterward Walken yells at Depp for not taking the opportunity to shoot her, even though Walken was right there next to him.

It's a cornball movie that's funnier for trying to be a taut thriller. The nice thing about Christopher Walken is that he works equally well in either scenario.

• Locked thread