Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

Sweet Fuse: By your Side is a funny, charming game about the guy who made Megaman's niece trying to save hot guys from getting blown up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjKvwCaXifM

Look at these hunks.

:agreed:

big dude with red hair was my favorite anime hunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Endorph posted:

Sweet Fuse: By your Side is a funny, charming game about the guy who made Megaman's niece trying to save hot guys from getting blown up.

Look at these hunks.

I kept hoping it would be like Daganronpa, because everyone in game I hated and wished they died.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Endorph posted:

Look at these hunks.
It was really charming. I liked it enough to do one playthrough, but not enough to do all of them and do the true route and whatnot. I like that the main game mechanic is screaming "WHAT IS YOUR loving PROBLEM" when the guys are being jerks.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Sweet Fuse was the only girl game I was tricked into playing. I was tricked by anime.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Final Fantasy is getting its own magazine, which is fine because the franchise is quite large enough to warrant its own brand.

My biggest surprise was that Persona has its own magazine already.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

Sweet Fuse was the only girl game I was tricked into playing. I was tricked by anime.

how did you get tricked into thinking a game called Sweet Fuse: By Your Side was anything other than a goofy game about dating hot guys

Tae posted:

Final Fantasy is getting its own magazine, which is fine because the franchise is quite large enough to warrant its own brand.

My biggest surprise was that Persona has its own magazine already.
A lot of franchises/companies in Japan have their own magazines, even things that aren't *that* huge. Not that big a deal.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

NikkolasKing posted:

Isn't Avatar a super-expensive movie? Isn't it also the shallowest, most unoriginal piece of poo poo ever according to a lot of people?

Point is, "effort" gets you nothing. People are always going to say you're garbage. So why pour your heart and soul into something people will hate anyway when you could risk much less while getting others to pour their cash into your pocket?
This comparison is moronic but hey why not? Avatar was made on a $237 million[5] + $9 million+ (re-release)[2] budget and has box office sales of $2,787,965,087[6][7]. I'm just copy/pasting this from Wikipedia so I hope it's remotely accurate within a zero!

Economic basics still hold true even for Nippon and drive everything. These 'anime' games that keep creeping up (hehe) sell about 30-50k copies in Japan, which is pretty much the lowest point you can hit for a game in Japan for that particular publisher to say "yeah it did exactly what we expected", at least in my experience.

Meanwhile other companies invest a lot more and in marketing to chase the 300k+ sales figures and every now and then something like Pokemon, Monster Hunter, or Resident Evil comes along and sells millions. These aren't 'low effort' games, they're massive games with a ton of investment and a sizeable amount of risk. The bigger companies chase these projects because they have substantial returns on investment, especially in terms of ongoing IP value (recent classic example: Persona and its half dozen remakes)

The problem is not many companies can absorb the risks associated with it anymore. Hence stuff like Inafune blowing his load about the Japanese game industry stagnating, and so on and so forth.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

how did you get tricked into thinking a game called Sweet Fuse: By Your Side was anything other than a goofy game about dating hot guys

further, why would you need to be tricked into playing that?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

When I bought Hakuoki the 19 year old muscle head cashier at Gamestop told me "this game looks badass as hell, I love samurai games" and I just nodded sagely and went on my way.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The main problem with the Japanese industry is just that there's not enough capital and a big enough market available to put out the same volume of AAA titles as America. How many AAA companies are there in Japan vs the US? You can't expect them to be equal

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

icantfindaname posted:

The main problem with the Japanese industry is just that there's not enough capital and a big enough market available to put out the same volume of AAA titles as America. How many AAA companies are there in Japan vs the US? You can't expect them to be equal

It's not the AAA that is the problem but rather loss of market for majority of mid-tier games. So you can spend a few million making a game trying to target 300K-500K, fail and bankrupt the company of just get by with these fan based games where they can guarantee certain amount of sales.

It's unfortunate but due to mobile games and demographic trends it's only going to get worth for Japanese devs unless they can target Western gamers. So if Compile Hearts or NISA can have guaranteed western sales from games like this one or Neptunia line, it's a no brainer for them as alternatives kind of suck.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Cake Attack posted:

:agreed:

big dude with red hair was my favorite anime hunk

mine was meoshi because he is a socially awkward turbonerd but also a badass kung fu blogger which is :krad:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I finally have a PS3 and I'm in the mood for some decent to bad RPGs. How is Fairy Fencer F?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Erg posted:

How is Fairy Fencer F?

Erg posted:

decent to bad

I will say it's definitely one of the best games Idea Factory's put out. For whatever that's worth.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Erg posted:

I finally have a PS3 and I'm in the mood for some decent to bad RPGs. How is Fairy Fencer F?

Decent, i hear, but probably not where i'd start. its more of a not quite at the bottom of the barrel, but getting there kinda rpg

Endorph posted:

I will say it's definitely one of the best games Idea Factory's put out. For whatever that's worth.

Isnt it compile heart?

admittedly, they are basically the same thing

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Erg posted:

play Eternal Sonata instead

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

Decent, i hear, but probably not where i'd start. its more of a not quite at the bottom of the barrel, but getting there kinda rpg

Isnt it compile heart?

admittedly, they are basically the same thing
Whoops. We were talking about IF and I got confused.

Yeah, one of the better games Compile Heart's put out.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

alcharagia posted:

He said "decent to bad," not "one of the worst JRPGs ever created outside of RMXP."

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

alcharagia posted:

Between ES and Broken Sword 1, if I ever see a goat I go into a blind rage.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
play last rebellion it is the best

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

Erg posted:

the Tales games aren't too shabby. Not great, but decent time-wasters.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Erg posted:

I finally have a PS3 and I'm in the mood for some decent to bad RPGs.[/url]

Star Ocean: The Last Hope International.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

decent to bad RPGs? Is that the sound of Star Ocean 3 I hear walking up?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

NikkolasKing posted:

Star Ocean: The Last Hope International.

I don't know what kind of blood feud you have against Erg but that's really uncalled for.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Super Jay Mann posted:

decent to bad RPGs? Is that the sound of Star Ocean 3 I hear walking up?

That ain't a ps3 title.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

play last rebellion it is the best

Wasn't that the game so bad the localizers had to apologize for picking it up?
EDIT: Pfff oh man they really did:

quote:

Once we got Last Rebellion we realized it was not the kind of title we should release in the United States because of its quality. I feel really sorry for our customers because we released that title. That’s why I told Nao (PR Manager) we have to release the announcement for Last Rebellion, but never push that title. We cannot say it’s a really great title. We felt really sorry, but we had no choice to release that.

And yet the company managed to stay alive for 5 more years despite not releasing a single game since. Huh.
So what the heck was that game like anyway?

HGH fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 20, 2014

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Wrong thread. Too many tabs open.

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 20, 2014

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Erg posted:

Ni No Kuni looks pretty and is decent to bad thanks to the dense party AI, grindy sidequests, horrible interface and, you know, Level 5 only making good games by accident. Oh, that reminds me, don't touch either of their White Knight Chronicles ever, there's an almost done LP thread of it, and WKC wishes it could be merely bad.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Erg posted:

It's not bad, but it's not very good either. The transform music is the coolest, though.

alcharagia posted:

I've seen it on shelves a lot but never bought it. I really don't like the artstyle and all the characters look like they're literally 12. I already dislike JRPGs throwing in token 12 year old kid party members, but a whole game of them? Nah, I'll pass.

HGH posted:

Wasn't that the game so bad the localizers had to apologize for picking it up?
EDIT: Pfff oh man they really did:
:aaaaa:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Eternal Sonata had some interesting ideas and some really nice aesthetics here and there but man it sure felt like half a game. All I remember is the plot screeching to a sudden halt for some reason or another - any other information on it has completely fled my brain.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I haven't played it in ages, but I remember it constantly grinding to a halt to explain about Chopin's life at completely arbitrary moments.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

I actually had access to a PS3 for a while, so I am getting close to running out of non poo poo/gross RPGs to play.

SelenicMartian posted:

Ni No Kuni looks pretty and is decent to bad thanks to the dense party AI, grindy sidequests, horrible interface and, you know, Level 5 only making good games by accident. Oh, that reminds me, don't touch either of their White Knight Chronicles ever, there's an almost done LP thread of it, and WKC wishes it could be merely bad.

I think I've asked about Ni No Kuni in this thread before. I tried to play it twice, and both times the slow pace and AI killed it for me. I wanted to like it SO much, but it just wasn't happening.

alcharagia posted:

I forgot about the weird Chopin game. Are the fights fun? I'm willing to put up with a lot of dumb poo poo for a good battle system (Tales of Graces f)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Heavy neutrino posted:

I don't know what kind of blood feud you have against Erg but that's really uncalled for.

What makes SO:TLH so awful? I know next to nothing about JRPGs and only know about SO:TLH because it pops up every so often when I look for RPGs and from what I recall it was well received by critics so I assumed it was at least an okay game.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DrProsek posted:

What makes SO:TLH so awful? I know next to nothing about JRPGs and only know about SO:TLH because it pops up every so often when I look for RPGs and from what I recall it was well received by critics so I assumed it was at least an okay game.

The gameplay is fine but as for the other stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNauq6_9iP0

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Counter point: EDGE MAVERICK

no for real though please do not play star ocean 4.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The gameplay is fun, the soundtrack is pretty good if you like Motoi Sakuraba, and all the poo poo people comonly complain about on here is optional. Like that linked cutscene.

I enjoyed the diversity of normal battle themes in the game too. After a point there is a unique theme for each planet.
Including remixes of Star Ocean 1's and Star Ocean 2's battle themes.
I think this or this are my fave battle themes from the game.

SO4 is not a good game by any means but it was enjoyable enough. I can say without hesitation that I'd rather replay it any day over ever touching FFXIII again.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS
Considering how great Star Ocean 2, Valkyrie Profile, and Radiata Stories were it's amazing how poo poo Star Ocean 3 and 4 were. It's like there are 2 teams at Tri-Ace and one of them is staffed entirely by mentally ill people and children. Having said that I love you Tri-Ace, please make something that isn't poo poo again. :(

I heard Resonance of Fate was amusing and interesting at least, I haven't really checked it out.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Srice posted:

The gameplay is fine but as for the other stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNauq6_9iP0

Loved the gameplay, but yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :japan:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

evilskillit posted:

I heard Resonance of Fate was amusing and interesting at least, I haven't really checked it out.
You'd better like the combat, because there's a lot of it and once you get it there's little need to adjust the tactics.

Also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVibNKrp8sQ

Tri-Ace supposedly helped with CG in FF 13-2 and Lightning Returns. The valkyrie transformation near the end of 13-2 is just like the into scene of VP. But LR is very much a remake of Valkyrie Profile 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

evilskillit posted:

Considering how great Star Ocean 2, Valkyrie Profile, and Radiata Stories were it's amazing how poo poo Star Ocean 3 and 4 were. It's like there are 2 teams at Tri-Ace and one of them is staffed entirely by mentally ill people and children. Having said that I love you Tri-Ace, please make something that isn't poo poo again. :(

Actually, most of Tri-Ace's games are made by the same people. Yoshiharu Gotanda, one of the founding members of Tri-Ace, directed Star Ocean 2, 3, and Valkyrie Profile. The biggest staff changes are in Radiata Stories, VP2, SO4, and Resonance of Fate.