Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Extra posted:

So what makes this game any different from Xsyon, Wurm, Haven and Hearth, and Salem or any of the other trashy sandbox MMOs we've had thrown at us for the past decade in the way that they become primarily gigantic RNG contests in the form of trying to find the pixel things that one needs to craft the other pixel things and those who are best at spending the most time at finding pixel things (read: botting) will beat up everyone else?

Will MMO devs one day maybe go "Hey you know maybe we shouldn't base this game's economy and power structure entirely based on easily automated tasks and/or timesinks"? Based on the past two decades I'll go with probably not.

It's been my observation that Russians love this poo poo, even if they do spend every year moving to the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Character wipe is supposed to be this thursday. Wait for it to be $25 or wait for it to be free. Hoverbikes are cool

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

BERGfu posted:

Hoverbikes are cool

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Drinkfist posted:

Get in the loving bad games crew while we still have a holdout in Camping The Stairs Mumble. Its only a matter of time before me or Grithok make Lumbering Troll permaban us and promptly hang himself.

Ok I'll jump in at 25, to check it out.
Besides, I miss you guys ...sniff.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Waiting for someone to confess they dropped 3000 bucks to make their own mission and have a golden penis of them in game.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

BERGfu posted:

Waiting for someone to confess they dropped 3000 bucks to make their own mission and have a golden penis of them in game.

They only do that for spaceship games. As much as I want these guys to get a massive influx of money to make the game I doubt there is many people in this niche gametype crowd to push the game into gold. All the folks nowadays only want WOW clones that they will play for a month and then promptly quit for the next one.

Someday we will get a good triple A mmo sandbox that isnt designed to loving end like all the ones now. That day far the gently caress away seeing as how pritty much every big name devloper has dropped an unoriginal mmo and killed off most mmo worthy IPs. It is incredible to me to see some of the most basic poo poo get screwed up by idiots. How hard is it to make multiplayer Elder Scrolls? I just don't understand how you look at that IP and get to "Third Person Class and level based Theme Park".

At least with Repopulation we get a bad game using ideas that have been dead for decades. No levels, no classes, rank up by use, player housing, complicated crafting, gimmick playstyles, theivery and player buildings.

You can even go prone and shoot poo poo 100m+ away with a sniper rifle. The longest shot I have ever seen in a MMORPG was the sniper in The old republic that allowed 35m shots. This whole game is tossing out the established bullshit and I really want to see how stupid it can get.

gently caress the holy trinity. Me and BERGfu were killing scary poo poo as a sniper team and the person the target is on just strapped on nikes and dragged the target into the other sniper's optimal range. There is so much here being done right poorly here over this Fantasy Theme park mmo age.

But yeah Repopulation is one of those fun stupid bad games.

Ron Paul for president. 9/11 was an inside job. 8==>~~

/rant

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Confirming you can rob npc's and other players. BUGGY AS HELL

Drinkfist posted:

gently caress the holy trinity. There is so much here being done right poorly here over this Fantasy Theme park mmo age.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

BERGfu posted:

Confirming you can rob npc's and other players. BUGGY AS HELL

That's just because you failed you pickpocket check and pulled on the dude's dick. The guard that saw that affront should chase you to the ends of the planet like he did.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Well I did it to you which probably explains why I came up empty handed.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BERGfu posted:

:eyepop:

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

BERGfu posted:

That's because Grithok borrowed my junk. Said he would give me two back if I let him use mine for a week.

Edit: gently caress it, you burned me good son. Points to you.

Drinkfist fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 17, 2014

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

BERGfu posted:

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

So yeah you can steal other people's bikes.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

JC Smith The Repopulation Dev Guy posted:

Hello everyone,

Since we realize that not everyone reads the forum every day and it's easy to miss posts, we wanted to make it clear to players that there will be a player wipe coinciding with the November 26th patch. We have no more wipes planned prior to launch, though reserve the right to wipe again prior to that point if the need truly arises.

We will be wiping the old school cities in the Fal Sept region next Wednesday (the 12th), however. Those areas will be replaced with new style city plot locations. If you have any sentimental attachments to your old school cities, be sure to take your screenshots and say your goodbyes this week.

Wipes are a necessary evil during testing. We need to give the economy a fresh start to give it a dry run with all the new recipes, bug fixes, etc. Because we know this is a hassle to players, and since your current characters will be getting wiped, we will be opening up the Alpha Buffers again in Sept Falls with the patch on the 12th. You'll be able to use these buffers to buff a skill to grandmaster level and to receive some training points to allow you to grab your new abilities. This will give players the opportunity to try different builds on the higher end for the two weeks leading up to the wipe.

Thanks for all your support. If you have any questions on the wipe, feel free to post them in here.

Wipe News from the Alpha Forums. Followed by Fishing Confirm.

Welcome to the future.

Edit: I had to turn down my loving video settings because the second I zone transitioned the loving fps committed suicide. Don't go to Plymouth Pond its a brutal hell scape due to players making a city and then other players placing buildings on top of the city to make it a double city and then camps on top of that. gently caress.

Drinkfist fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 18, 2014

Mimsy
Oct 25, 2008

Drinkfist posted:

Don't go to Plymouth Pond its a brutal hell scape due to players making a city and then other players placing buildings on top of the city to make it a double city and then camps on top of that. gently caress.

I need to see pictures of this.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

BERGfu posted:

So yeah you can steal other people's bikes.

That old stole my bike ytmnd

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Updated OP to reflect the current status of fishing being confirmed. I am PMing the appropriate authorities to see if I can get the thread title changed to reflect this.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Widestancer posted:

That old stole my bike ytmnd

Edit: Thread title is perfect.

BERGfu fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 18, 2014

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

BERGfu posted:

Edit: Thread title is perfect.

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Now I have to play so I can fish and make people rage about it.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Arcade posted:

Now I have to play so I can fish and make people rage about it.

I'm already mad at you for thinking about fish. I wanted to damm up all the rivers and flood the low lands. You are taking away from my enjoyment of the game.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
Is this game $25 yet?

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

supposed to be friday but I think you can pay the 25 and dl or whatever so it's like ready to go when you take work off

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

http://www.weritsblog.com/2014/11/the-repopulation-q-and-alpha-key.html

Dev Q&A posted:

Q: After finishing the tutorial, one of the first things I noticed was receiving missions through the mail system. How do these Dynamic Missions work? What makes them special?

A: In a theme park MMO your quests/missions are generally there to help your character advance and provide purpose. As a sandbox we don't have that directed experience. You never need to go to the next hub and quest to advance. Advancement is not tied at all to missions. That having been said, missions are something that provides players with purpose. Enter the generated mission system. The goals of this system is to allow players to use missions to drive their experience, and to have a neverending supply of missions if they really want to do them. Another goal though was to ensure that missions are not a required aspect of gameplay. If you just hate missions, you don't have to do them. Another key aspect was to allow players to be able to filter the type of job offers they want to take.

Rather than wandering around looking for NPCs with markers on top of their head, you'll instead receive notifications of job offers via the in-game email system. These offers come in relatively quickly, and they are tailor made for your character. You can accept or deny the offers. Early on you'll be getting the same missions as all other newbies, simple missions that anyone can do. As you complete missions, the choices you make are used to determine which missions you quality for. So if your character does shadier activities, they'll receive shadier missions. If your character is a crafter they will receive crafting missions. If you show yourself to be Greedy, you may get missions that take advantage of that. etc.

The missions themselves can be simple or complex. We use a branching dialog system on missions, but pretty much every feature you've seen in other games can be done through our generated mission system. The difference is that instead of the NPCs being static NPCs, they are generated within a set of criteria. So rather than doing a turn in to Bob the Armor Guy, a generated mission might have a filter for RandomNPC1 to be profession = Armorcrafter. There are a number of filters which can be used for things like profession, personality, mood, gender, dilemma, or cause of that dilemma. Some of those settings are static, others can change based on other players completing missions and altering an NPCs mood, dilemma or cause. So this means that performing actions in missions can not only affect the missions you receive, but can also affect the missions other people receive or who they receive them from.

A good example is Chip at the Hole on the Hill. His bar has issues with Lesoo raiding the facility and Numbskulls causing issues in the bar. Those are engagements (similar to public quests) that players can participate in to help Chip out. Depending on how those engagements proceed Chip's cause and dilemma will change, which allows him to offer missions that he would not otherwise offer. We're still just scratching the surface on some of the things we can do with this system as far as designing enough missions to really take advantage of all these features. But the features are all in place.

Q: Besides taking Dynamic Missions, there appears to be a guided mission chain which I could venture down. How much of The Repopulation is based around Missions? Conversely, can I just ignore missions and go out on my own? Will I be gimping myself if I skip the missions? I don't want to miss out on any unique rewards.

A: There are a large number of missions in the game. But it's an optional activity. Missions are designed so that there can be mission styles for the various skill lines. So there are taming missions, underworld (thievery/assassination/smuggling) missions, crafting and harvesting missions, etc. But since you can receive your missions through your PDA from anywhere in the world, it's perfectly acceptable to just go out and do whatever you want to do, take a look at the incoming job offers and pick and choose the ones that you can finish while doing your chosen activities. Most players will spend a lot of time running missions. But there are alternate ways to gain abilities, skill imprints, etc. It's really up to the player how they want to play the game.

For players who despise missions though you don't have to do them. Your skills increase through use. If you want to go out and just grind mobs like in an old school game, you can. Though even doing that I'd recommend combing through for missions that are targeting the mobs your killing anyway since that's just a bonus reward. If you are a harvester or crafter and don't care about running missions, you can just go out and do your thing. Same goes for any line really. There are also a growing number of engagements (similar to public quests) which some players prefer.

Q: I've always enjoyed crafting and running my own shop in games, which I can now do in The Repopulation. Is it possible to just focus on non-violent endeavors? Is there plenty to do if I go down that path?

A: Our game and it's economy are heavily trade skill oriented. Our crafting system is very complex and has a high degree of customization. Moreover crafted equipment is the top of the line. If you never wanted to pick up a gun, it's completely possible for you to just go out and harvest, or buy resources from other players and then do your crafting. I think most players will also do a little fighting, if for no other reason than mobs will jump you while your out harvesting.

But crafting advancement is not coupled in any way with combat advancement. There are other non-combat skills, as well. Things like the entertainment line which provides long-term buffs for players. Taming mobs to be trained as mounts and sold to other players. Diplomatic skills. Different players enjoy doing different types of things. And we've tried to cater to many playing styles, rather than forcing players down a combat oriented path.

Q: One of the first creatures I fought was a Setlang. This resulted in me gaining species knowledge. How does that factor into the gameplay?

A: The species mastery system reflects your knowledge of each species in the game. As you kill Setlangs (or any other species) and as you harvest their corpses for resources your mastery level increases. This grants a very small passive bonus to your damage against that species, and after you have slain a very high number of a species you also gain a title reflecting your mastery of that species.

Q: From its corpse, I was able to loot DNA. This can be used by a Genetic Engineer. What is that skill line all about?

A: Each species can drop DNA and tissue. A genetic engineering is a crafting line which uses those components to create pets that can be traded to other players. These are single use pets, but they are easy to produce. But genetic engineering's biggest benefit is that you can splice the DNA of different species to create hybrids. Each hybrid has unique special abilities.

Q: I'd like to get myself a house where I can put some vendors. What is involved with doing that?

A: You'll need to claim an open world plot if you wish to have vendors. Currently in alpha we allow players to buy them easily for testing, but soon we'll be moving them to the release variation of this which requires a tough to produce crafted item. There are different sized plots.

Once you have a housing plot you can place it down when inside of any area that is marked as housing capable. We don't allow players to build everywhere. Instead we set aside certain grids of land to be able housing capable. You'll know when you are in one of these areas because a GUI will appear denoting it which allows you to drop your plot to claim a section of land, and later to add furniture. When you drop the plot you will receive a visual indication of where the plot will go, which you can move around until you find the perfect location. Once this is placed a base is formed underneath your plot. You can build on top of that base.

There are hundreds of different structures and furniture items which you can place on your plot. This includes simple things like decorations, to interactive props such as crafting stations, banking terminals and skill imprinting stations. You can also place robot vendors on your property which can sell goods to other players. Players can see your robots goods through the Trading/Auction window, but if they purchase directly from your vendor they can bypass the auction fee.

Q: For anyone that is interested in playing, how and when can they get their hands on the game?

A: You can currently gain instant alpha access and a lifetime gold membership post launch for $50. There is also a $25 package which includes a lifetime silver membership post-launch which will be gaining alpha access on November 21st. Membership packages give you a number of perks post launch such as increased inventory/vault space, etc which free players would have to purchase piece by piece. So basically all pre-orders will be able to access testing from now until launch starting the 21st, and all $50+ pre-orders gain access instantly. Those who prefer a wait and see approach can wait for launch. The game will be free to play with optional membership options.

Cliff Notes are:

All/Most Quests are Emailed to you. No Exclamation Marks over NPC heads.
No Quest Hubs and guided paths from zone to zone.
Full time Non-Combat paths are totally an option. Become the goon master dancer.
Tame the wildlife and mount it.
Kill the wildlife and spice it's DNA to make freaks of nature... and mount it.
We are back to Designated housing plots. Luckily the game world is significantly larger than Archeage and the player base is guaranteed to be far lower.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Drinkfist posted:

http://www.weritsblog.com/2014/11/the-repopulation-q-and-alpha-key.html

Cliff Notes are:

All/Most Quests are Emailed to you. No Exclamation Marks over NPC heads.
No Quest Hubs and guided paths from zone to zone.
Full time Non-Combat paths are totally an option. Become the goon master dancer.
Tame the wildlife and mount it.
Kill the wildlife and spice it's DNA to make freaks of nature... and mount it.
We are back to Designated housing plots. Luckily the game world is significantly larger than Archeage and the player base is guaranteed to be far lower.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

red state bait
Dec 9, 2006

those screenshots are enough to sell me on this game, ill see ya on friday

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

This two person Cruiser is the poo poo.

JackDRipper
Feb 13, 2013

Its all about the Fishing.

Dahn posted:

I'm already mad at you for thinking about fish. I wanted to damm up all the rivers and flood the low lands. You are taking away from my enjoyment of the game.

Hell yes another game I can fish in and get banned woot!

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014
I realize it might be a bit early to get a real feel for the pvp/combat, but is it actually fun? It reminds me of the game Face of Mankind in a so awful its kinda fun sorta way. I just want another game where I can get really high on combat drugs and shoot at unsuspecting kids from a rooftop.

Also, crafting weapons looks hilariously tedious.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

ComradeBigT posted:

I realize it might be a bit early to get a real feel for the pvp/combat, but is it actually fun? It reminds me of the game Face of Mankind in a so awful its kinda fun sorta way. I just want another game where I can get really high on combat drugs and shoot at unsuspecting kids from a rooftop.

Also, crafting weapons looks hilariously tedious.

It's a lot more actiony than Face of Mankind. I think it's pretty fun.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Ok so a bunch of rear end in a top hat friends of mine convinced me to cave and buy the new wow. So I subbed for a month, played for a bit and then switched off the monitor and barked at my reflection for a few hours. What a waste of good money.

Now I'm ready for this super fresh, old school sandbox throwdown mmo from the FUTURE to fulfill my gaming needs.

I wuv u all

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Drinkfist posted:

This two person Cruiser is the poo poo.

Hahaha what the gently caress it says i'm helpful and a master miner on my name. That's so obnoxious

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
They like to make thier pricing structure confusing:

quote:

As of November 20th 2014 instant access to Alpha is on all packages at the $25 level or higher. The current round of pledging is slated to end at 11:59 EST on Friday November 21st. All Packages and prices are slated to change for the next round with prices and perks changing.

and from the newsletter:

quote:

Round 3 of Funding is ending on Nov 21st at 11:59 PM EST. The $25 pledges also have been granted immediate Testing Access and all further $25 pledges in this funding round will gain access.

Once the funding round ends we will be adjusting the packages and the price for immediate Testing Access is expected to go up slightly, but still at or under the $50 level. Some existing perks are going to be removed or changed for the next round to simplify the different levels

So the way I read this is that if I give $25 today I get to test, but that option may not be available on the 22nd for that price?

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

It goes into general beta so you shouldn't lose access, they take away the ability to spawn a credits to buy your own mech warrior. Just message them and ask on their twitter or facebook they respond fairly quickly

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Rehab Submarine reporting for duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Solvency posted:

Rehab Submarine reporting for duty.

• Locked thread