Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Ligur posted:

I imagine the times you sparred without a mouth guard were quite different from the times you sparred with one. Or at least I seriously hope so :magical:

It's incredible the amount of people that spar even lightly, without mouthguards.Even better are the guys who tell you that first so please mind their jaw and then just go around throwing haymakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Buy a dollar mouth guard, goddamnit. That first dollar provides the most protection per dollar of any mouth guard out there. A 5 dollar mouth guard is only slightly better. Same with the 10 or 20 dollar one.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I group bought a bunch of these for co-workers (big mistake) and of course only half bought them from me. So I have a ton leftover

Shock Doctor Adult Pro Strapless Mouthguard (Smoke) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00181B8LK/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_KasBub14NMHTC

If you want one or a bunch let me know

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Spent the last 3 days in west texas getting dust blasted up by nose by a freezing dry wind. Went to BJJ tonight and my nose became a faucet of blood.

That was fun

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
First BJJ class tonight, going to be weird. Of course I'll be leaving for 2 months soon, but figured I'd check it out for when I get back. I think I'm going to be the smallest dude in the class, too.

Trip report: awesome fun, cool people. Had to get over my initial reluctance to just hug a dude though.
I still don't know any submissions or whatever but over in the MMA thread someone was talking about an ezekiel choke, and then in the free wrestling bit of the class, it all suddenly made sense and I pulled one off. No tap but it was close. :sun:

Hollandia fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Nov 20, 2014

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The key is to become the master of 1001 holds. From A Armbar, to a armbar

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Went to BJJ last night. Learned a new sweep, pulled some muscle in my back and now it hurts when I breathe too deep. GG. Where's my aspirin and icebags...?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

General Emergency posted:

Went to BJJ last night. Learned a new sweep, pulled some muscle in my back and now it hurts when I breathe too deep. GG. Where's my aspirin and icebags...?

A martial arts poem~

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Which martial art teaches me to do hadoukens?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Verisimilidude posted:

A martial arts poem~

uchi mata day
god drat it my shoulder hurts
an uke's torment

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Bloody nose, got kneed
while shooting a double leg
I'm on top now, bitch

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Holding the pads wrong,
hit my self in the face once,
my white belt turned red.

Novum posted:

Which martial art teaches me to do hadoukens?

You're looking for Ansatsuken.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Turns out my chest muscle was wound tighter than a bowstring. God drat foam rolling hurt like hell but now I can breathe again. God drat I love foam rolling.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Speaking of foam rolling anyone invest in a mobility wod supernova? I know I know lacross ball etc

https://www.roguefitness.com/mobilitywod-super-nova

Also considering a rumble roller

Also if you guys do a lot of barefoot mat poo poo with your martial art or wear shoes at work a lot invest in one of these. Get the xteme coarse rollers

Emjoi Micro-Pedi Nano Callus Remover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005XUNG5I/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_qVLBub116JMJG

Seriously. It's like I got new beautiful feets. loving big toe calluses

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Christoff posted:

Emjoi Micro-Pedi Nano Callus Remover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005XUNG5I/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_qVLBub116JMJG

Next you're gonna tell us to drain our cauliflower ears, aren't you?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Kuvo posted:

uchi mata day
god drat it my shoulder hurts
an uke's torment

1st AD posted:

Bloody nose, got kneed
while shooting a double leg
I'm on top now, bitch

KildarX posted:

Holding the pads wrong,

Haiku must have a
kireji and seasonal
ref, you weeaboos

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I'm Asian I can't be a weeaboo

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

Speaking of foam rolling anyone invest in a mobility wod supernova? I know I know lacross ball etc

https://www.roguefitness.com/mobilitywod-super-nova

Also considering a rumble roller

Also if you guys do a lot of barefoot mat poo poo with your martial art or wear shoes at work a lot invest in one of these. Get the xteme coarse rollers

I'm stupidly proud of the callouses on the fingers and feet.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Christoff posted:

But now you're just gonna get matburn again on your pretty feet. Did you nail polish them up too?

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009
Does anybody kick flat-footed?

I caught the end of a karate class before judo and overheard one of the instructors telling the kids to keep their base foot flat on the ground when doing a roundhouse kick. I've always learned to pivot on the ball of your foot to not wreck your knee when you turn your hip over, and this is the first time I'd heard someone say otherwise. I asked someone why they do it that way all I could get was a vague "more power". Is anybody familiar with this that could explain how being flat-footed is more powerful?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Space human being posted:

I caught the end of a karate class before judo and overheard one of the instructors telling the kids to keep their base foot flat on the ground when doing a roundhouse kick. I've always learned to pivot on the ball of your foot to not wreck your knee when you turn your hip over, and this is the first time I'd heard someone say otherwise. I asked someone why they do it that way all I could get was a vague "more power". Is anybody familiar with this that could explain how being flat-footed is more powerful?

I don't think it's very common because it's difficult to rotate on. On the other hand, it's how Bas does it, sand Bas is never wrong.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The big differences between kick styles for a round house from what I've seen and heard is what part of the foot they're going to hit you with and how high or low they're going to place it.

Edit: well if that's how el guapo does it consider me both wrong, stupid, and not handsome. Praise be rutten danga dang

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 21, 2014

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

I don't think it's very common because it's difficult to rotate on. On the other hand, it's how Bas does it, sand Bas is never wrong.

Bas also walks up his driveway backwards after getting the paper so that he doesn't collapse screaming and clutching his knees.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Space human being posted:

In shotokan we'd pivot to get the foot turned out, but then put the foot flat again. I don't know, but if I were still on my ball as the strike landed I'd feel like I was going over. The folks who did TKD first and then came to karate could get a lot higher with their bally roundhouses but they always seemed a bit unstable.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Bas's approach was to plant your foot really wide out to forcibly drag your hip through the kick with the torsion in the leg. With a pivot on the ball of your foot, you can no longer torque against the ground midkick (which protects your knees).

A stereotypical karate kick doesn't sweep the hip through as much of an angle. You start everything in a more side-on stance, with the hips pointed more to the side instead of squared to your opponent. By the time you're kicking, you aren't planning to turn over your hips as much cuz they're sort of opened out already. To further reduce hip turn, you can chamber into a snap kick, where your knee and upper leg reach a stopping point while your lower leg covers the remaining the distance.

I don't think I'd recommend beginners to do it that way, but there's a context in which planting your whole foot would work. e: I think being planted as you're chambering the kick would also let you slide forward faster into a sidekick.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 22, 2014

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
It's been a while, over ten years but I remember pivoting generally but sometimes planting for a Body kick because it could be caught and if you landed weird it was nice to have a solid posting leg and not falling down which we called an automatic point for your opponent. Also it's harder to pivot in shoes (I guess never kicked a guy in my all-stars) so SD perspective we would kick flat footed.

This was all in weird rules Tkd ymca hybrid martial arts. Over the years I've come to learn many things I thought were standard when I trained as a kid are... Not. Which is sometimes good like when a must Thai guy complimented me on not kicking like "a tkd pussy" but also I have no idea what is normal.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Guyz,

you pivot on the ball of your foot when you launch the roundhouse kick, but plant your sole on the ground all flat footed like you were driving a nail through it the moment you connect. Kinda like when you throw a punch: your fist is open when you launch your arm, but you clench it into a solid ball the moment of impact.

There is no other way.

Hail Satan.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
why even bother kicking? :aikido:

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Rabhadh posted:

why even bother kicking? :aikido:

Machidacranekick.gif

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
What did you guys think about Metamoris 5? Besides the Vinny Magalhaes and Renzo/Saku fight, I thought that they were all very exciting and close matchups.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I really enjoy Metamoris. Garry Tonon loving owns. Kit Dale needs more commentary experience and he needs to tone down the homophobia a little, but I think it was fine because it needs a bit of flavour commentary to compensate for the boring matches like Vinny's.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

KildarX posted:

Holding the pads wrong,

Hmm, yes. There are many layers here.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ligur posted:

Guyz,

you pivot on the ball of your foot when you launch the roundhouse kick, but plant your sole on the ground all flat footed like you were driving a nail through it the moment you connect. Kinda like when you throw a punch: your fist is open when you launch your arm, but you clench it into a solid ball the moment of impact.

There is no other way.

Hail Satan.

This 1000x It's how I was taught and the only knee and ankle injuries I've had have been from people rolling or falling on me in standup grapple times.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Ugh gently caress me. Bowing out of a practice is the worst feeling in the world. Went to practice today because the sprain or whatever I had last week hadn't really been bothering me. One minute into some really light warmup rolling the dude I was rolling with got a mount on me and put some weight on my upper body and suddenly my ribcage/upper back is on loving fire bad enough that I had to tap out. I did some more research and I think I actually have some cartilage dame on my ribs or something. gently caress this.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

BlindSite posted:

This 1000x It's how I was taught and the only knee and ankle injuries I've had have been from people rolling or falling on me in standup grapple times.

Same here. When my knees get cranked it's from grappling or stand-up wrestling, but as long as I pivot my foot 180 degrees when I kick a roundhouse I've been fine (- this far).

Same thing with the sidekicks you've all seen in MMA the past few years, talking about the Chasse lateral/italien strikes for example Greg Jackson's team likes to use. The power of a chasse lateral comes from turning the supporting leg and then planting your sole, *slam*, when it hits. Savate 101.

That said, especially high or very hard kicks often tweak my back despite turning the foot. The pressure is off your knee, sure, but it can be on your lower spine like a motherfucker. I'm not that young anymore; my thigh, hip flexor, waist and glute flexibility isn't what it used to be so I need to "cover" for my flexibility issues by using my lower back more to "turn into kicks"... if it makes any sense.

But sorta different discussion. Anyway stretchy young people who have a tight muscle in any of those places regularly get lower back pains from throwing crazy roundhouses. Just a headsup ya'll, if you get a sore back from kicks the day after, it might not be from a weak back, spine issues or even bad technique, but probably any of the muscles mentioned being a bit too tight: it will often radiate as lower back pain.

General Emergency posted:

Ugh gently caress me. Bowing out of a practice is the worst feeling in the world. Went to practice today because the sprain or whatever I had last week hadn't really been bothering me. One minute into some really light warmup rolling the dude I was rolling with got a mount on me and put some weight on my upper body and suddenly my ribcage/upper back is on loving fire bad enough that I had to tap out. I did some more research and I think I actually have some cartilage dame on my ribs or something. gently caress this.

Fish oil. Two or three weeks. You can train anything apart from people sitting on your chest meanwhile so it isn't that bad.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ligur posted:

Same here. When my knees get cranked it's from grappling or stand-up wrestling, but as long as I pivot my foot 180 degrees when I kick a roundhouse I've been fine (- this far).

Same thing with the sidekicks you've all seen in MMA the past few years, talking about the Chasse lateral/italien strikes for example Greg Jackson's team likes to use. The power of a chasse lateral comes from turning the supporting leg and then planting your sole, *slam*, when it hits. Savate 101.

That's kind of interesting. I was taught to throw the chasse and side kicks from a front on stance and pivot on the ball of my foot. Joe Rogan throws a beautiful side kick from a front on stance if anyone needs a visual guide. I used to fake dudes out all the time. I'd throw a rear leg turning kick. Drop into a southpaw stance and rip a side kick through the blind angle at the face. Used to catch people to the body rushing in off a deliberately badly whiffed turning kick too.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 25, 2014

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

BlindSite posted:

That's kind of interesting. I was taught to throw the chasse and side kicks from a front on stance and pivot on the ball of my foot. Joe Rogan throws a beautiful side kick from a front on stance if anyone needs a visual guide. I used to fake dudes out all the time. I'd throw a rear leg turning kick. Drop into a southpaw stance and rip a side kick through the blind angle at the face. Used to catch people to the body rushing in off a deliberately badly whiffed turning kick too.

IMO you were taught right, what is interesting?

Like I said, same thing as with the roundhouse/fouette, you first pivot on the ball of your feet (180 degrees is good) and then plant your foot the moment it strikes.

Were you taught to first pivot but not step down when it hits, or what?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ligur posted:

IMO you were taught right, what is interesting?

Like I said, same thing as with the roundhouse/fouette, you first pivot on the ball of your feet (180 degrees is good) and then plant your foot the moment it strikes.

Were you taught to first pivot but not step down when it hits, or what?

I was taught to pivot through the motion of the kick. Rogan shows it well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFWO7N0U5YQ&t=92s but I used to throw it from front on, not bladed. So my pivot was a longer motion but better hidden. I guess a similar set up to these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W588NSLplxw but with the rogan pull through of the body on the finish.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

I'm making weight for a Muay Thai tournament next Saturday, an I've hit my target weight today, 84.9 kilos, with still two more days to go before the weigh ins.

I've never felt better cutting weight, no weakness or discomfort at all this week. This is huge for me since my last weight cut was pretty harsh and I really felt it during the fight.

This time I did the worst dieting in the last two weeks, going down from 90 kilos to 85.5 last Sunday. It was horrible as usual, constant training with very restricted food.
But this week I can eat pretty normally and only need to restrict water intake the day before the weigh ins.

The tournament is going to be huge, ISKA German Amateur MT And K1 championship belts are up for grabs, the winner will have to fight like 3 or 4 times that day..
Anyone have any experience about fighting several fights in one day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

drat man. Don't have much to offer but good luck and post some vids

• Locked thread