Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Have a passenger at all times with controls to a quadcopter-mounted paintball gun, tag lovely drivers from the sky.

Speaking of lovely drivers I had the scariest bus driver today. Stopping at 65mph in about 8 feet in a bus is not fun. :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I once got on a bus that had a post-it note on the window right in front of the driver.

"Bus"

Funny at the time, scary later.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

The problem is subtlety. Nearby drivers are gonna identify you really fast if a paintball spews from your grille. Even if they fail to notice that, the collection of police reports along your daily commute will tell them exactly where to look for the offender. Then it's just a matter of time.

While we're living in illegal fantasy land, just build a muffler on the end of the thing and time your shots. :c00l: Please don't loving do this, this is a stupid idea.

Protocol7 posted:

Have a passenger at all times with controls to a quadcopter-mounted paintball gun, tag lovely drivers from the sky.

Speaking of lovely drivers I had the scariest bus driver today. Stopping at 65mph in about 8 feet in a bus is not fun. :catstare:

I've been living on 100% public transportation for the last few months and it's been honestly great. However, the one day I stepped on to a light rail streetcar with a very disgruntled rear end in a top hat who slammed on the brakes. I don't know how much those loving things weigh but my God did that train stop quick. I was unlucky enough to be standing and was thrown towards the front of the train, scraping my arm on the side of the flexible covers they use on the swiveling parts of the train chassis. Originally, I thought it was some rear end in a top hat driver that jumped in front of the train and slammed on the brakes, until the driver did it a 3rd time in a 1 mile trek on the way home. :stare:

Something tells me that the guy/lady up front got some bad news from home that day, and was taking it out on all the unsuspecting idiots that boarded his/her's hellish nightmare train.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

xzzy posted:

Nearby drivers are gonna identify you really fast if a paintball spews from your grille.
If they've managed not to see your car, a few paintballs will be no problem :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Ripoff posted:

Something tells me that the guy/lady up front got some bad news from home that day, and was taking it out on all the unsuspecting idiots that boarded his/her's hellish nightmare train.

Public transit drivers are pretty variable. I used to have a regular guy on my route who got his 40 year accident free medal. He was courteous, gentle, smooth and had no trouble with snow or ice. We used to talk about fishing on the ride home.

Then he retired, and I got a new(er - I think like five years' exp) driver who was the exact opposite. Jerky controls, no looking ahead, rude to riders, etc. She put the bus over a curb and across an embankment almost into a valley one December morning just before Christmas after doing a 90 degree spinout on a two-lane road.

I think they're really just like any other driver.

e: Train drivers are even more variable, because I think hand controls are harder to be smooth with. Everyone who can drive knows how to modulate pedal pressure well but not everyone knows what wrist motion will equal to however many hundred horsepower of traction motor regeneration.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 19, 2014

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Public transit drivers are pretty variable. I used to have a regular guy on my route who got his 40 year accident free medal. He was courteous, gentle, smooth and had no trouble with snow or ice. We used to talk about fishing on the ride home.

Then he retired, and I got a new(er - I think like five years' exp) driver who was the exact opposite. Jerky controls, no looking ahead, rude to riders, etc. She put the bus over a curb and across an embankment almost into a valley one December morning just before Christmas after doing a 90 degree spinout on a two-lane road.

I think they're really just like any other driver.

e: Train drivers are even more variable, because I think hand controls are harder to be smooth with. Everyone who can drive knows how to modulate pedal pressure well but not everyone knows what wrist motion will equal to however many hundred horsepower of traction motor regeneration.

And then you have ex-SA Goon tram drivers being sacked for, well, not using their brains when it comes to work/social life separation:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/archive...80496440d334b07

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Local paper put this picture up from all the snow in Buffalo. This belongs in this thread.

Clear your drat roof before heading out!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'll allow an exception in this case because that's loving awesome, it's a badge of honor.

Still an idiot for taking it on public roads though. If it were me I'd do a lap around the neighborhood, have my laugh, then go home and clean it off.

(but first I'd try to clear it all off in one go by slamming on the brakes)

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
There was an 18 wheeler at a stop sign waiting to make a left turn. I was sitting a couple car lengths behind it giving it a lot of room to navigate, plus the whole fact that I'm invisible if I'm up any closer. Also, I know that the turn is kind of tight for a big truck to make.

The car behind me honks a couple of times and then lays on the horn. The driver is waving around in their car and keeps honking. I pretty much just flipped them off and sat there.

The whole point of being a dick was...what exactly?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Solar Coaster posted:

Local paper put this picture up from all the snow in Buffalo. This belongs in this thread.

'Round here we call that the "Wisconsin wipedown", ie clear the snow from 50% of the windshield (with your jacketed arm) and the drivers side window, get in and drive. That is taking it to extremes, however. You would be surprised at how much that snow weighs. Plus, he's missing out on the most fun part which is sliding that huge chunk of compressed snow off the top so it can gloriously smash on the street.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

DEAR RICHARD posted:

There was an 18 wheeler at a stop sign waiting to make a left turn. I was sitting a couple car lengths behind it giving it a lot of room to navigate, plus the whole fact that I'm invisible if I'm up any closer. Also, I know that the turn is kind of tight for a big truck to make.

The car behind me honks a couple of times and then lays on the horn. The driver is waving around in their car and keeps honking. I pretty much just flipped them off and sat there.

The whole point of being a dick was...what exactly?

I run into a somewhat similar situation to this occasionally around here. The industrial park I work in has a lot of tight turns between it in the highway (old town, newer industrial park). Truckers have trouble with many of these and have to go into the oncoming traffic lane of the road they're turning into when making a right turn. When I see this coming I back up to give them room, but sometimes the guy behind me doesn't want to back up and honks at me. He tends to get the picture eventually, but can't the idiot see the enormous truck bearing down on me?

The flipside of this is people who see the truck coming into their lane and back up without checking to see if anyone is behind them. I had a pickup nearly back into last winter doing this. He just threw it into reverse when he saw the truck coming and backed up. I was pretty close behind him, and there was a lot of snow on the road and huge snowbanks on either side, leaving not a lot of room. He also backed up way further and faster than he needed to. If he'd come back any further than he did I would have either hit a snowbank or he would have hit me.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

beejay posted:

Well it happened again this morning, an idiot came to a complete stop where the onramp meets the interstate. Luckily I recognized the classic warning signs (decelerating to 30 mph on the onramp, braking constantly) and had given him plenty of room so I could just go around him and get into the open right lane of the interstate at 60 or so. I looked back and he was still sitting there waiting on a semi that was pretty far away, now with 3 cars sitting behind him. Why.
Yeah, I rear ended a guy because the shitlord in front of him went into idiot panic mode and slammed the brakes while I was looking to the left to find a merge spot.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Gorson posted:

'Round here we call that the "Wisconsin wipedown", ie clear the snow from 50% of the windshield (with your jacketed arm) and the drivers side window, get in and drive. That is taking it to extremes, however. You would be surprised at how much that snow weighs. Plus, he's missing out on the most fun part which is sliding that huge chunk of compressed snow off the top so it can gloriously smash on the street.

The official term is "tank commander"

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Ripoff posted:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

On behalf of the operators who give a poo poo, we're sorry for assholes like these. Light rail/streetcars can be stopped pretty smoothly, but it requires a bit of equipment familiarity, which requires at least pretending you care about your job. I aim for smooth operation at my job, but certain situations prevent it. Every time I do a "stand the streetcar on its nose" type stop, I turn around and check on everyone. I only do an emergency stop like that when it's absolutely necessary, like when some rear end in a top hat in a brodozer merges in front of me and then slams on his brakes.

Also, if I'm stuck in rush hour traffic, the stop/start routine over and over is going to make it jerky. I do apologize.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Solar Coaster posted:

If karma was actually a thing, that guy's roof caved in roughly 8.4 seconds after that picture was taken. Either that, or the powerslide that the snow pulled the first time he touched the brakes crushed the hell out of his hood.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Solar Coaster posted:

I AM TIRED OF THIS WHITE loving BULLSHIT EVERYWHERE

IN MY loving DRIVEWAY

ON MY loving CAR

IM NOT loving CLEANING ANY MORE OF THIS loving poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H6mZ5A1tWM

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

B4Ctom1 posted:

I AM TIRED OF THIS WHITE loving BULLSHIT EVERYWHERE

IN MY loving DRIVEWAY

ON MY loving CAR

IM NOT loving CLEANING ANY MORE OF THIS loving poo poo

This, but about road salt :barf:

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
I wish they used salt here. They cover the ground with sand for every little sprinkling of snow, and never sweep it up so the road is still slick in August.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Brigdh posted:

I wish they used salt here. They cover the ground with sand for every little sprinkling of snow, and never sweep it up so the road is still slick in August.

No. No you don't.
Sand works infinitely better. Salt is loving terrible. And it ruins your vehicles. Salt is the loving devil. Or just up here in NE Ontario where they don't know how to plow roads and just dump a fuckton of salt on 3 inches of snow and call it "good". I grew up in Manitoba, where's its primarily sand, and the roads are, for the most part, great. Up here? Deathhell.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, sand and studs are the way to go.

Can skip the studs if snow isn't heavy enough to leave a permanent layer on the roads.

grope proof vest
Jan 11, 2006

Siochain posted:

No. No you don't.
Sand works infinitely better. Salt is loving terrible. And it ruins your vehicles. Salt is the loving devil. Or just up here in NE Ontario where they don't know how to plow roads and just dump a fuckton of salt on 3 inches of snow and call it "good". I grew up in Manitoba, where's its primarily sand, and the roads are, for the most part, great. Up here? Deathhell.

This. MN throws so much salt on the roads that the runoff is affecting our lakes.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Even worse, once you start getting around 0°F, it doesn't matter how much sun or friction is applied to heat the ice, the salt won't melt it anymore and you're stuck with horrible, corrosive poo poo just sitting on top of icy roads. This doesn't stop local governments from throwing layer after layer of salt on the road. A couple winters later, your favorite suspension tools are now a blow torch, a mallet and a breaker bar

States that salt roads really need vehicle inspections. The amount of rust I see on some vehicles is terrifying, plus everything else that is likely wrong with a vehicle that has both rocker panels completely eaten through...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Here they salt, then don't plow properly, then you're driving over a layer of compacted snow until the traffic wears it away or the temps rise enough to melt it all away.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

The Door Frame posted:

Even worse, once you start getting around 0°F, it doesn't matter how much sun or friction is applied to heat the ice, the salt won't melt it anymore and you're stuck with horrible, corrosive poo poo just sitting on top of icy roads. This doesn't stop local governments from throwing layer after layer of salt on the road. A couple winters later, your favorite suspension tools are now a blow torch, a mallet and a breaker bar

States that salt roads really need vehicle inspections. The amount of rust I see on some vehicles is terrifying, plus everything else that is likely wrong with a vehicle that has both rocker panels completely eaten through...

Inspections are a great idea but they don't really stop poor motherfuckers from driving whatever they have to get to work. They just end up with hosed up driving records and insurance costs as a result.

Also, the kind of sand most places use (the most common kind of sand) does very little to help, you need sharp angular sand to truly help traction and it fucks up vehicles like none other and is hard to find naturally so it's expensive. I'd honestly rather have graveled partially plowed roads.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/05/opinion/why-sand-is-disappearing.html

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Edit: Misinterpreted a point so my reply was total derp.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Any opinions on salt brine? I've seen news stories about road crews in the northeast that use it but none local to me.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

kastein posted:

Inspections are a great idea but they don't really stop poor motherfuckers from driving whatever they have to get to work. They just end up with hosed up driving records and insurance costs as a result.

I know they're not great for people and it makes used cars and everything else more expensive, but the condition of some of the cars I've worked on is frightening. Like they shouldn't be allowed on the road, but have been driving that way for months. The behavior of having a car with no suspension or rust holes completely through shouldn't be illegal, but there should be a way for someone to make them get it repaired in certain time frame before their rolling junk heap kills someone

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Uthor posted:

Here they salt, then don't plow properly, then you're driving over a layer of compacted snow until the traffic wears it away or the temps rise enough to melt it all away.

That's my working definition of "winter happens here". Anywhere that actually manages to clear down to bare pavement on minor residential streets at any time from December through February without the benefit of a chinook wind or similar qualifes as "not winter". If you can see dry pavement on a street with a playground, that's just a harsh autumn, not winter.

waffle iron posted:

Any opinions on salt brine? I've seen news stories about road crews in the northeast that use it but none local to me.
See above for my profanity-laced reaction to my city's announcement of increased brine useage on roads. gently caress brine. I'm 1000 km from the nearest ocean, yet they insist on making my roads indistinguishable from Halifax's. Quebec requires winter tires by law from the ides of December to the ides of March, and I know some highways through the mountains also require them. Just make laws like that, and use gravel / salt to keep the roads sort-of driveable.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Door Frame posted:

I know they're not great for people and it makes used cars and everything else more expensive
We have quite strict annual inspections, and our used car market is noticeably cheaper than the US, despite new cars (and pretty much everything else) costing more.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Siochain posted:

No. No you don't.

Yes, actually I do. Around here the other towns only salt when its really needed. My town dumps enough sand to make a castle in every intersection every time it snows, even if the snow doesn't stick. They also use the wrong kind of sand which actually reduces traction.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

InitialDave posted:

We have quite strict annual inspections, and our used car market is noticeably cheaper than the US, despite new cars (and pretty much everything else) costing more.

What is this sorcery??

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

ExecuDork posted:

That's my working definition of "winter happens here". Anywhere that actually manages to clear down to bare pavement on minor residential streets at any time from December through February without the benefit of a chinook wind or similar qualifes as "not winter". If you can see dry pavement on a street with a playground, that's just a harsh autumn, not winter.

The problem is that outside of the city (Peoria) on back country roads, the pavement is spotless. It's the city itself that can't get it together.

A couple years back, a storm shut the city down. My friend left for Wisconsin that weekend and he no issues once he left the city limits.

Good for me as it gives me more time to practice hand brake slides around corners.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

The Door Frame posted:

What is this sorcery??

It's hard to charge a lot for a car when you're in a country the size of NJ with comparable public transit and fuel that's twice as expensive.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Saw this on Jalopnik.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk6oTmeVDU0

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

waffle iron posted:

They use it here in the PNW on bridges and corners as a preventative measure, and it works out really well.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

thelightguy posted:

It's hard to charge a lot for a car when you're in a country the size of NJ with comparable public transit and fuel that's twice as expensive.
Twice? I wish!

But really, the point is it's a lot more complicated than saying that the requirement to have an annual safety inspection bumps up prices for used cars. Assuming you maintain your car normally, there's no reason for it not to walk through the $60 annual check for a couple of decades, with no real :rodimus: issues.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Solkanar512 posted:

They use it here in the PNW on bridges and corners as a preventative measure, and it works out really well.

I don't think that's salt brine, it's some sort of chemical (that smells kinda like ammonia to me).

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/winter/anti.htm

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

waffle iron posted:

They spray it on the roads, it dries, and quickly gets overwhelmed. They say it makes it easier to plow by having that salt base layer but who knows. Its funny because a lot of the roads around here are county controlled. The one road I drive on daily crosses county lines, and its noticeable how much Burlington County maintains its roads vs Camden County. And you can see this when its been brined. Burlington sprays 6 thick full streams across each lane, while Camden gets 3 or 4 thin drips. Camden barely plows and leaves the road full of potholes all year. Its incredible crossing the line from a pristine road into a winter wasteland. Its also funny that Camden County has higher property taxes than Burlington County, but they say that all goes to supporting the city. Who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
It would be nice if the city would put a little pit stop somewhere convenient where you could pull your car up and have it blast away the salt residue from underneath.